The-Rogue-Breeder

Adult catching!

I daresay that one of the issues I have with such suggestions as this is that I like the unique concept of there being a Wilderness where Released dragons exist for themselves, rather than merely being for human use.

Turning it into a sort of petting zoo where people may be able to coax the inhabitants home with them is a vastly different concept which somehow really alters the flavour of DC for me.

Some seemed to like this idea so I gave a sort of version to it. Personally I agree, its not something I would like to see.

Just to clarify though, it wouldnt be a 'petting zoo'. we're talking about rationally trying to coax an intelligent creature as to why it is in their best interest to come live with you as opposed to the wild for whatever reason. :3

I released a dragon for roleplaying reasons. I'd hate to see her in someone else's scroll. This might be a pointless reason to be against adult hunting but people have released for a large number of reasons and I think it's their right to keep this dragons wild.

Also, I like seeing the wilderness full of dragons. Surely someone has adressed this already but, if we let wilderness hunting, it'd be pretty much empty soon enough, specially of all the nice things.

Also, wilderness has been a helpful asset in the enciclopedia. I wouldn't want to see that go.

At the same time, it kind of breaks the whole point of the game, which is raising eggs and hatchlings (some have already pointed this out, but I agree with them). If I can just go to the wilderness and stuff myself with adults...

Sure, you can put a cap on it, but the point of the game is still that of raising eggs.

The OP suggested a cave with adults that are created solely for that purpose.

Sir Barton suggested an AP for adults that would have to be newly introduced to make this work. So only newly released adults could be tamed, and you could decide upon releasing an adult whether or not it can be tamed by someone else. Previously released dragons stay unavailable.

Nobody has ever suggested to tame those adults that are currently in the wilderness. And I agree that the dragons that are currently wild should stay so - we've discussed that in another thread already, and it would upset too many people if those dragons became available. Not to mention the rare and discontinued ones or old cb holidays, they'd be gone in an instant.

If the wilderness stays unavailable for adult catching, and adult catching is done in a way that it is at least as time-consuming and scroll-space-consuming as hatching an egg and growing it to adulthood, it's something that could be interesting.

Nobody has ever suggested to tame those adults that are currently in the wilderness.

Actually some have pretty much suggested that at times in this thread.

One example:

Edit: It could be fun, however, if set up correctly. You character walks up to a wild dragon. "Hey. How ya doin'?" Runs away with his pants on fire. Try again tomorrow.

There are more serious ones.

But I still think this is contrary to the spirit of the game - though if it DID happen I like Sir Barton's idea that it would take up a slot and take LONGER to acclimatise to your scroll than an egg. Because it should NOT be an easy way to fill your scroll with readymades. Which is exactly what the OP wants:

Adult catching would be a nice feature, helping people get adult dragons quicker,
Edited by fuzzbucket

Ok, I guess I didn't consider "wild dragon" could mean "dragon from the wilderness" in this case, since eggs are called "wild eggs" before they're adopted as well and the OP suggested a cave where adults drop.

True that the OP said they wanted this to get dragons quicker, but we all know that this is never going to happen, I guess I simply ignored that part xd.png

*shrug* I think we all agree that this should under no circumstances be possible for dragons from the wilderness, but only for newly generated codes in an "adult cave" or for dragons in an "adult AP", which must be separate from the wilderness. I also agree that we should not get dragons quicker this way, and I'm in favor of even make it take longer. But if it's set up right, I think it could be interesting and I'd enjoy it.

Neh.... adult AP sounds too easy, and wilderness dragons are a no no, even by me. My suggestion was put out there for those saying "Oh this might be nice" So I tossed something out for them to play with if they really wanted this. I mean really if its gonna take for ever to get an adult, just get an egg. If you don't wanna hatch an egg and wait at most 14 days, at least what... 10(?) then this is not the game for you :3 I like raising eggs better. Much more fulfilling. Catching adults and keeping them like that with no work or not much effort seems cheap.

I like raising eggs better. Much more fulfilling. Catching adults and keeping them like that with no work or not much effort seems cheap.

I absolutely agree, I'm also against instant-adults.

That's why I suggested that taming an adult dragon would take time, views and scroll-space as well smile.gif (with a chance of failure if you don't get enough views or too many, corresponding to death from lack of views and death from sickness in hatchies)

That's also what Sir Barton (?) suggested about the adult-AP: The poor dragon is traumatized from being kicked out by its previous owner, so the new owner has to re-tame it, which takes time and scroll-space. I'd prefer if it requires views as well.

However, I don't mind if it is not implemented.

Edited by Ha-Ki

Considerably its more hassle than its worth considering that if someone really wants that kind of adult they could just raise one. And with so many gorgeous lineage projects out there, you could make your own or try the forums for some if you really want a pretty one. And neh, past holidays are a bummer but we can get those now with as many as we want during their respective season so yeah.

at least what... 10(?)

Five. Less if you use the AP, and they only take up egg space for two of those days.

I feel if any sort of 'instant gratification' that didn't take time to do was added to DC, it wouldn't be fun anymore. You could collect everything you want in one playing session, and then what? Just... collect more? Where's the fun in that if you don't have to 'earn' it by time? It might be nice for new players trying to catch up to long time players, but then they'd get pretty bored.

Um - a trade thread ?

Can't trade adults. wink.gif

Next year, if I have one picked up at the wrong time that goes the wrong color like a neb, I can gift the hatchie, but this round I ended up releasing the adult.

Oh, and I didn't mean wild dragon as in "wilderness" wild. I meant wild as in simply not owned any longer. Not that I really care if this idea would be implemented or not, but I'm not in favor of taking dragons from the wilderness. That's why I think should there ever be an Adult AP, there should be the option as to where your released adult goes. If you want to share it, release to the AP, if you want it taken out of the breeding population, send it to the wilderness.

Forgive me if I misunderstood the proposition. I did read the first post but, forgot about it, and since people were commenting on wilderness catching... anyways.

If this does come into effect, the time of adaptation should be 5 to 7 days, which is around the time it takes for an egg to become an adult. I think that'd only be fair, and dragons could occupy the same slots as eggs (no special adult slots). It could be explained in you needing to attend this dragons for a correct adaptation and thus not having time to properly care for the eggs.

Otherwise, it's a way to get instant adults.

no support. this is a game about catching eggs, hatching them and raising them.

not to mention *points to the biome descriptions*

"you see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings. Nearby, there is a pile of several eggs.

You don't want to disturb the dragons, but some of the eggs are far enough away that you could steal one."

the only reason we get those CB eggs at all is because the adults are far enough away from us. if they were closer, we'd be mince meat because an adult wild dragon is typically not something that will let a human approach it.

so even RP wise, imo, this idea aint kosher

No support at all. Seriously, what would we do? Newbies would get adult dragons and the game would be ruined. Plus, there is watching the hatchlings grow. Also, there is the challenge of getting the egg/hatchling enough views before it dies. What would be the point of that?

So basically, there would be no point in playing DC.

It would be nice. It's uncommon that you might find a hatchling in the AP, so why not adults?

It would be nice. It's uncommon that you might find a hatchling in the AP, so why not adults?

Because the game is about raising dragons, not kidnapping adults.

Agreed. I still haven't found anything here that might convince me to support this suggestion, sorry.

Eh, figures. Seems like a lot of suggestions get shot down. I know a guy herewho had a request and got yelled at to the point he requested a ban.

Suggestions that have already been denied yes they do get shot down badly. We have a wilderness, people have been suggesting for years to make those catchable as well.

No support, this suggestion kind of goes against DC lore, where a tamer can keep dragons because they reared them to adulthood and they accepted him/her as their 'parent' - a wild, adult dragon would probably eat the tamer. :3 Besides, it's easy to get a decent amount of dragons in a relatively a short amount of time, so I don't see this adult catching to be very beneficial even to new players without a trophy.

Edited by stagazer_7

There is a very similar game to DC called Tale of Dragons. When I first discovered it, I thought it was really cool. You can do a lot of things there you can't do here on DC, like buy/sell/trade adult dragons. There's also a currency system and you can buy eggs from a store. Plus the way the 'cave' area works is totally different - instead of three eggs everyone sees, it displays three random eggs from a pool, so that although everyone gets eggs from the same pool, every person viewing the cave at the same time sees three random eggs from the pool, so that no two people have the same three eggs visible unless the pool is tiny or a LOT of people are viewing (which is almost never the case). So that makes collecting rares much easier. I got the rarest species in their cave my first day of playing. Which, I admit, was fun, and did make me wish it was a little easier to get golds and such here.

The problem is, it got really boring, really fast. I still go there sometimes just to enjoy the art and such, but as a game, it's far, far too easy. So on balance although I don't think ALL of ToD's features are a bad idea and I even think some might be good here (like being able to trade adults with other players, since both people still have to raise the adult and it doesn't just come from nowhere). Still, ultimately, I don't want to see DC go the same way. So no support.