The-Rogue-Breeder

Adult catching!

Adult catching would be a nice feature, helping people get adult dragons quicker, and to prevent people from going through and grabbing everything, keep it looking like the biomes, three hidden Adults, with only a description, and no matter how many tmes you reload, the selection stays the same unless you or someone else takes an Adult. A tame feature would be a good way to make people still work for those dragons, just add a 1000 or so click/veiw requirement t tae them or they go back into the wild for someone else to catch.

Please reply with ideas or flawsso we can work this into a suggestion, that I hope, will be added!

I think this has already been denied? It bypasses literally everything that this site is about. Catching mystery eggs, having to raise them, scroll limits...

Edited by Niyaka

No support. Domesticating a hatchling from the moment it hatches is much different than approaching a wild-born, wild-raised, bloodthirsty menacing beast that can crush you with a single paw tongue.gif Plus, a large part of what separates DC from other adoptables games is that all creatures have to be on your scroll from the time they are hatchlings, at the latest. Trading and/or catching adults would vastly change the game, particularly with things that can no longer be obtained as CBs.

EDIT: As Niyaka said, it circumvents much of the game's purpose. That isn't a great idea, IMO.

Edited by PieMaster

DC is already such an easy game (on the basic level) that I don't think making it even easier (which near instant / instant adults would do) is really necessary.

Eh, figures. Seems like a lot of suggestions get shot down. I know a guy herewho had a request and got yelled at to the point he requested a ban.

Edited by The-Rogue-Breeder

People aren't trying to be mean or anything. It just doesn't seem like a good deal to me; it changes a fundamental part of the game (raising things) for no really good reason that I can see. The reason given is just "to get adults quicker," but as it's already easy enough to raise 21+ adults a week for most... is this really needed or interesting or justified enough to, again, warrant changing a fundamental part of the game?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I also don't support it.

Domesticating adults sounds fun but the thing about this site is raising the eggs.

And getting them quicker? I'm a little impatient at times but it's easy enough to raise eggs to adult hood already.

No support from me. As others have said, this breaks the fundamental gameplay of DC - if we were to introduce this adult cave, why should anyone bother raising eggs when the adults are right there for the taking?

This is also a suggestion that has come up and been shot down at least a million times in at least a million incarnations (summoning hatchies, catching/taming wild dragons, catching/taming adults).

No support from me. As others have said, this breaks the fundamental gameplay of DC - if we were to introduce this adult cave, why should anyone bother raising eggs when the adults are right there for the taking?

This is also a suggestion that has come up and been shot down at least a million times in at least a million incarnations (summoning hatchies, catching/taming wild dragons, catching/taming adults).

No support here either - it is totally contrary to the whole basis of the game - catching and RAISING dragons.

Well, if we can already catch random adults from the cave, why not also from the wilderness? Come to think of it, maybe we could even revive some dead dragons from the graveyard. Or "breed" insta-adults? And, yes, GoN should be summoned as adults, too. After all, Lugia didn't turn up inside an egg, either. wink.gif

Then again, if all that gets implemented, why would you even want to play this game? If you don't want to catch, hatch and raise dragon, just visit the wiki. The sprites, descriptions and even some additional information about all breeds can be found there, too.

The taming sounds interesting, but many dragons are in the wilderness because people don't want them anymore (and because they don't want anyone else to have them).

Your subtitle notes that we "should have" this feature. Could you give your thoughts on why? You only note the mechanics of the suggestion in your opening post.

Eh, figures. Seems like a lot of suggestions get shot down. I know a guy herewho had a request and got yelled at to the point he requested a ban.

It is not that a lot of suggestions get shot down. Many despite mild dislike get worked and revamped to try and please a majority. Other suggestions go against the fundamentals of the game, rules, etc. So if a suggestion does not get support then there is a reason to it and one has to read through the reasons why to understand why the suggestion failed.

Also when making a suggestion one has to keep in mind that this game not only has a specific function (catch and raise dragons from eggs) but an actual lore and story to keep users interested. One has to factor all of those things in before stepping forward and making a suggestion like this one.

As many have said this suggestion kind of circumvents the whole reason for the existence of this game which is stealing dragon eggs, raising and taming hatchlings, and getting them to adult hood for 'study'. This suggestion throws most of that out the window which is why there is so much opposition. Please don't feel disheartened by the lack of support.

I am not really for this either, but I wonder if you have thought about how it would be limited if it were to be introduced. We have egg and hatchling limits so one person can't go through and clean out the AP or the cave. How would you limit this to keep people from just grabbing everything in sight until they came to a rare or something like that?

No. Catching adults equals free instant adults with no work involved. Also from a lore point of view why would an adult dragon, raised in the wilderness want to have anything to do with a human? It makes sense that dragons we raise from an egg might stick around, we're part of it's family then.

Don't sweat the lack of support, TRB. It's not personal. You're not the first person, nor will you be the last, to come up with an idea that gets shot down.

The reasons everyone else have given are very valid as to why this wouldn't be a great idea, which is why I'm not down with it either.

I agree with most things said in this tread.

people with tons of dragons work a lot for them and invest time (and planning for some as well, like getting neglected) into them. Getting 'free adults' would be kind of cheating a base mechanis of the game in my eyes.

I would much rather work out other ways of obtaining an adult dragon, if at all it should be possible. Summoning, catching or taming wild adult dragons dose just not appeal to me, sorry.

I might support some system that would allow for adult dragons to be traded, since we do not have a system like that. I do however understand why as well since it would screw with the 'economy' of the game big time xd.png

Edited by Phenri

No. Just. NO. Grabbing eggs, keeping them healthy, raising the hatchies to adulthood is what this is all about. Doesn't make ANY sense to just snatch adults.

No support for this at all.

Sorry, no support. What's the actual point of the game if you just skip everything? People would get bored much quicker, because they'll just automatically have most of the adults within, like, a week.

And where's the logic? You just wander up to a full grown dragon potentially the size of a large shopping mall, or bigger, and drag it off? I think anybody who'd try that would probably just get killed by the dragon.

And where's the logic? You just wander up to a full grown dragon potentially the size of a large shopping mall, or bigger, and drag it off? I think anybody who'd try that would probably just get killed by the dragon.

So that feature would be called "become dragon food." At least you'd then be very close to the intended dragon.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Sorry, no support. What's the actual point of the game if you just skip everything? People would get bored much quicker, because they'll just automatically have most of the adults within, like, a week.

Yeah. O.o I mean, it is one thing, if you raised said dragon from the time it was an egg. It would presumably know and trust you... and NOT view you as potential food.

A wild adult dragon, though, O.o I wouldn't wanna be the one to try it.

For that matter.... xd.png I wouldn't wanna be caught by Momma dragon stealing her eggs, either. I would think that Momma dragon would be pretty protective. Which is why someone, I forget who, said that they feel the eggs that are left where we can take them are ones that , perhaps, were rejected by Momma dragon in the first place. Dunno, there, but it would certainly explain how we can take them without her coming after us for it.

As for the suggestion itself... no support.

While the lazy and impatient part of me would like this... that is exactly why I think it SHOULDN'T happen, honestly. IF you COULD just get adults on your scroll, it would take away a much of the challenge to this game. ALSO... IF you can catch adults, then it would set precedent for being able to trade them, too... which I DO NOT support at all. Primarily because as Phenri pointed out... it would SERIOUSLY mess up trading. Can you imagine the insane offers that might be given for discontinueds? O.o

So no, no support from me for this.

We do get people suggesting catching/trading adult dragons sometimes, this generally by people coming from sites where this a normal thing, as it's common to many pet-sites.

Here at DC, though, adult dragons can live forever without daily or any further care, and once raised, stay on your scroll forever unless killed or Released into the Wild.

Personally, I think of it as being more along the lines of never giving away an adult pet, unless something happens where you can no longer care for them properly, (not that you'd toss RL pets out to fend for themselves, lol, unlike virtual dragons, which would be suited to living free and be at no risk in the Wilderness,) because with a real pet, you and they are family and bonded, or perhaps as a variation of the Pernian thing, only the bond doesn't solidify at hatching, but by the time the dragon's grown.

But adult dragons have never been disposable at DC the way they may be on other sites.

Barring particular circumstance left up to the owner's choice, DC adult dragons are forever.

A dragon is for life, not just for Christmas.

user posted image

While I think SOME wild dragons would be okay with befriending humans (Whites, Fleshcrownes, and Waterhorses, off the top of my head), and while a case could even be made for the occasional rare alliance with a nastier breed, I don't think that's really the heart of the matter.

Imagine you joined a game that's all about raising horses, and then suggested you be able to raise cats as well. Now, is a game where you can raise cats inherently a bad idea? Certainly not, and there are probably very successful sites out there where you can do just that. However, because the game is about raising horses, adding cats would change the point of the game without a really justified reason to do so.

The same is true here; while catching adults is, as has been mentioned, a valid game play method on plenty of sites, here it changes a big part of the game (raising growing things) for, again, no really justified reason that I can see. I would also argue that another large concern is that it could make the game too easy. In 99% of cases, I can catch some eggs, incubate them, toss them in a hatchery, log out, and come back five days later to perfectly healthy, fully grown adults. Do we really need to make obtaining adults even easier than that?