Vorgin

Beyond the Soul

Arwena nodded and sighed softly when he ruffled her hair. "I think I get this from Drago, but I like my hair messed with. We'll should we pack up? I'll be upstairs getting my things together. " She headed to his room and came down a little later with her bags, staff and bow.

Jacus didn't have too much since he wasn't planning on staying long. "Sounds good. I'm all set to go."

She saddled Drago and put on his armor got on after petting snow one more time. "I'll miss you little girl! Alright, I'm ready... " She had her bow on her back along with her quiver, and her staff tied behind her with the saddle bags, the violin case on her lap. "Can't wait to show the others my instrument! I've gotten good at playing it. You have your sword? Hopefully Drago, you don't scare the other elves with your armor on...." She let him walk out of the gate and into the street.

Jacus stood in the doorway, "We aren't going to wait for my parents to say goodbye?"

Arwena tilted her head. "I figured they'll be at the gate like my parents were... we can wait here if you think they'll come back here." She got off and stood by Drago.

Jacus nodded, "They were going to come here first, they wouldn't know exactly when we left so they wouldn't have known to be at the gate by now."

"We'll then, I'll wait. But it's been too long, I miss home and a day there then leaving wasn't enough. It'll be nice to be back home." She leaned against a wall of the house, cloak hood up and tapped her foot, itching to ride home to the trees. "I like it here, but it isn't the forest I love so much. "

Jacus took her hands, "I'm not expecting you to abandon your home. We will be there as long as we need to. That challenge is my main focus though. I will make this work for us. I promise."

"I know, I trust you will. Here,... isn't it traditional that a knight receives a token from his lady love... or is it too out dated? I did read it in a old book.. or.. human story... " She moved closer to him and took his hand, and in it placed a lock of her silver hair doubled over three times so it was the length of his palm, and bound by a blue ribbon. "I know that cloak is a symbol of my love for you, but this shall be for good luck." She curled his fingers around it and kissed him lightly.

Jacus kissed her back, "You didn't have to cut your hair for me... But I will hold it close... You mean too much to me."

"And you mean too much to me love." She put a hand on his cheek. "When we get there, I want you to stay safe. Be brave my knight." She hugged him and sighed with her head on his shoulder. Drago huffed and started to pace. "I think I smell them. Good, I'd like to get going... get this fight over with. "

The two returned with a small bouquet of flowers they handed to Arwena. After hugging them both, they wished them luck and good wishes. Jacus got on Kayden ready to go.

Arwena took the flowers and hugged both of them mounting Drago she looked at Catherine and spoke softly in elvish. "I will find out what I can about your grandma, if I can't find the time, my dad would be happy to do the research. I'll send you letters of our findings." She said the elvish farewell and waved goodbye as Drago trotted down the road to the gate.

Jacus followed closely on Kayden, silent and focused, he refused to look back to wave goodbye.

Arwena lead the way out of the last gate and through the farm lands. They reached the woods, she became nervous and toyed with her hair, as they get closer to the entrance to the Forest. When they entered, a sentry ran up to her, spoke rapidly in elvish and ran off to the Tree of Time. Drago followed him as Arwena was frozen. "Hurry! He said she is needed for her wedding! It's today Jacus! Prepare yourself!"

Jacus didn't waver, his hand gripped into a fist as he kept pace with her. This was it.

Arwena jump off and ran inside the Tree, Drago hot on her heels making the few elves that where there yelp in fright at the armored wolf. Drago growled at the elder, Arwena's grandfather, as he stood ready to read the rights. Orion looked groomed and dressed in his best, although he looked board and quite nervous at the large wolf that came in, his leopard companion snarled back at Drago.

Jacus dismounted and walked into the tree, a dead set look on his face. He knew Arwena would speak up first.

"The wedding is off! I found in a a book or our laws, it says if the bride of the arrangement has a champion to fight for her hand, a challenge is set for the intended groom and the bride's champion. The challenger chooses the form of the challenge."

"it also says the father can do it and he isn't here, so stop this nonsense and take your place girl!" Thrii growls. Arwena glanced at Jacus letting him know he should speak up now.

Jacus took a step forward, "I will take her father's place... I will not allow this marriage forced upon her. I will be that champion."

Outrage erupted in the room and Thrii had to whistle to get everyone to stop talking. "A human can't be a champion! It's against our law!" "Thats another thing, there is no law against a human marriage with an elf! I have searched for that and never found it! We always saw them as inferior to us! Respect our new treaty and let him be my champion, he will fight for my hand... "

Thrii looked tied up. He stutters and glared at Jacus. "What challenge would you choose against Orion?"

Jacus looked at Orion, "My challenge will be single sword mounted combat... Your best horse while I ride mine. First to dismount the other wins."

Orion nodded and whistled for his horse. The elves when outside to see this challenge. Orion's horse was a large heavy black Clydesdale stallion. Obviously it wouldn't be to nimble on its hooves compared to Kayden, but certainly larger then the horse.

He mounted and drew his dwarven made sword and faced him. Kayden let Jacus mount and placed himself facing the other horse, snorting.

Jacus mounted Kayden positioned himself, drawing a sword that Arwena had never seen before. It has a slight curve to it, the edge of the blade was pitch black and a solid black hook stuck out from the handle.

Arwena tilted her head, then hid her face on her father's chest when he ran up just as The black horse lunged and Orion swings his heavy blade. Kayden dances around the other horse following the slightest tug of his rains as orion seemed to only turn around in circles as he fought.