TJ09

2014-11-18 - Patch Notes

My only issue is the front page is so squished when it seems like there is so much space to fill in.

I guess this is more because I have an absolutely huge monitor, but for reference, the scroll only takes up about half my monitor and there is a lot of brown background with nothing. It didn't bother me before because nothing felt squished until the news was added, but like I said this probably comes from a huge monitor.

I think this:

I like that you added a news section to the front page. That will be very helpful.

However...it looks too cramped to me (I'm using the default skin). Why not just make the tan part wider? There is all this space on either side that could be used, but right now it's just plain brown while everything is cramped onto the tan part.

Together with this:

I've seen the new homepage, and I agree with what many say: it looks very cramped. But I want to give some constructive criticism. Please keep in mind that these are just my opnions about the changes, I don't want to sound like a hater because I am definitely not.

The "Welcome to Dragon Cave! etc." part and the "Log in" part is too close to the buttons above. Also the "Recent news" section is too close to the "log in" section. This is in my opinion the main reason why it looks messy.

I've learned in school that "open spaces" between content can make a site look more "peaceful". And I think that's what the new page needs: a peaceful structure. The way it looks now is too messy. It will look a lot less cramped if there is more spacing between the content.

I tried to make a little example of how I think the spacing should be done. I didn't use a grid or anything (even though I should have used one...). So my example will have differences in the open spaces (like in the news section). That section also needs some more spacing.

Here it is. It's an animation.

I apologize for my bad English.

Would make it look better. However, I do like the idea of the news. (although it would be nice if you could see all of the news post without going to the forums, maybe a news section in 'account' could have the contents of TJ's posts?)

I've seen the new homepage, and I agree with what many say: it looks very cramped. But I want to give some constructive criticism. Please keep in mind that these are just my opnions about the changes, I don't want to sound like a hater because I am definitely not.

The "Welcome to Dragon Cave! etc." part and the "Log in" part is too close to the buttons above. Also the "Recent news" section is too close to the "log in" section. This is in my opinion the main reason why it looks messy.

I've learned in school that "open spaces" between content can make a site look more "peaceful". And I think that's what the new page needs: a peaceful structure. The way it looks now is too messy. It will look a lot less cramped if there is more spacing between the content.

I tried to make a little example of how I think the spacing should be done. I didn't use a grid or anything (even though I should have used one...). So my example will have differences in the open spaces (like in the news section). That section also needs some more spacing.

Here it is. It's an animation.

I apologize for my bad English.

I agree that the front page looks too squished right now and could do with being a bit wider. Definitely like the spacing in that animation too.

I like the news being on the front page though, it's handy to have c:

Exactly. Mondat - I am not myself prepared to watch my 12 y/o grandson every moment of the day. He runs his own games website and so on - BUT - there is parental software set up that blocks all forums - and frankly, I would say, with good reason. So yes - his mother WOULD know; she could see him bypassing. He also has a sister who needs a lot of attention - and his mother has a job and a life. I don't know how many children you have, Mondat - but in this day and age, supervision every moment they are on line is simply not possible.

My grandson is actually very tech savvy and could bypass it all with ease, I am sure - but he is an honest kid, and wouldn't. That kind of honesty should be fostered, and I can't see ANY reason why plain vanilla news announcements can't be on the scroll pages, leaving discussion to the forums..

Well, this is then a personal & individual problem in my opinion.

I might be old-fashioned, but if I had (ETA: young) children I would only grant them limited access to the internet in the first place. I know that today's children do things much earlier than I did when I was their age but, I would care what they're doing on the internet. Very much. And no way would I allow them to idle their free-time away on the internet without regulation even while I am away or just throw them into the chair in front of my PC so I do not have to bother & can do the things I want. Not saying that your daughter does that, I just want to tell you this so you can understand where I am standing.

(And something else...your grandson is not allowed to visit the forum at all but has his own games website? blink.gif You do not need to elaborate.)

My grandson is actually very tech savvy and could bypass it all with ease, I am sure - but he is an honest kid, and wouldn't. That kind of honesty should be fostered, and I can't see ANY reason why plain vanilla news announcements can't be on the scroll pages, leaving discussion to the forums..

Your grandson being honest ≄ game developers or any non-family people creating stuff on the internet being obliged to foster that kind of honesty

Your grandson being honest => people raising him being able to foster that kind of honesty thumbs_up.png

Anyway, I did not want to turn this into a discussion about children or raising children who play DC. I have a clear idea how I would do things & therefore cannot agree with what you're saying and you have your own way of living or "life", as you like to say smile.gif

Edited by Mondat

I don't come to the forum hardly at all but I do like the new format. I appreciate having the login boxes on the same page so one need not go to a special page just for that.

Yes, the page does look a tad cramped but I hardly spend time there since once I click on an area I can just navigate wherever I want using the menu or the biome menu.

It looks nice.

Try a hard refresh. Mine was at the bottom too but a hard refresh "fixed" it.

Well that worked. But I kinda liked it the way it was!

Ooh, I just got the new page! It looks rather nice. smile.gif It should be useful to the people who don't go on the forums, though since I rarely check the front page, I'll still get it the same way, most likely.

..so, I've found a slight problem with the new front page:

On mobile, the image of the biomes is far too large and forces the user to scroll out to see the entire thing.

Just wanted to point this out.

I use the blackout skin, and the front page looks FABULOUS. Everything is in-line and sized. I have huge monitors and only browse in 1/2 the size anyway. This is great. Probably the first time I've bothered raving about anything, but I'm in love with the new front page.

Thank you update, TJ! biggrin.gif

but...oh god...

Brand new tombstone sprite for all dead dragons/hatchlings.

Zombies will receive a special tombstone specific to their biome.

New dead egg appearance. Some eggs with custom cracking sequences were not updated.

Too sad sad.gifAs always, it is sad children die...

Well, this is then a personal & individual problem in my opinion.

I might be old-fashioned, but if I had (ETA: young) children I would only grant them limited access to the internet in the first place. I know that today's children do things much earlier than I did when I was their age but, I would care what they're doing on the internet. Very much. And no way would I allow them to idle their free-time away on the internet without regulation even while I am away or just throw them into the chair in front of my PC so I do not have to bother & can do the things I want. Not saying that your daughter does that, I just want to tell you this so you can understand where I am standing.

You do know how much homework children now get that REQUIRES them to use the internet ? And I wouldn't supervise any other homework my children did; why would I just because they were researching with parental software in place, and I could take snap looks at what they were doing anyway ? Stop press - the internet isn't only for leisure. I was on it several hours a day for work, at work - and I retired 8 years ago. They use it even more now !

(And something else...your grandson is not allowed to visit the forum at all but has his own games website?  blink.gif  You do not need to elaborate.)

Maybe not but I will, as I can see that that sounds odd. NO comments or discussion takes place. It can't - the software doesn't allow it- but he is a whiz at creating games, and gets a lot of credit AT SCHOOL for his work.THAT is the reason he is not allowed on forums - because of the chat which is often unsuitable.

Anyway, I did not want to turn this into a discussion about children or raising children who play DC. I have a clear idea how I would do things & therefore cannot agree with what you're saying and you have your own way of living or "life", as you like to say

It would still be easy enough to have a scroll page with JUST the news announcements - this would allow a large number of players who will still not be able to view these announcements to see them, and would inconvenience no-one (except TJ in setting it up !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I finally see the news! It seems fine, it's nice to be able to check for news one the first page.

I have the new home page and honestly everything feels a bit squished. Not terrible but there might be better ways to do this. Just my thoughts.

Ooh I have it now as well. I have to say I don't feel it's too cramped at all, and I'm usually quite annoyed by cramped layouts... might just be displaying differently here though.

I love the news column!

It's currently glitching on my tablet though, the column has shifted underneath the map. 0.O

I love the news column!

It's currently glitching on my tablet though, the column has shifted underneath the map. 0.O

Is that a glitch? It happens on my computer as well and I thought it was an improvement, as the former position at the side made the map look squished. Anyway, it's not just your tablet.

It would still be easy enough to have a scroll page with JUST the news announcements - this would allow a large number of players who will still not be able to view these announcements to see them, and would inconvenience no-one (except TJ in setting it up !)

Personally I think it would be a great idea to have the full news on-site as well. Just the first post, since that's all that matters. It would also be good for those who just don't feel like going to the forum just to see what's happening, not just for those who can't.

Agreeded. Especially since some of the underage users here aren't allowed to have a forum account. This definitely evens out the odds between people like that and people that are able to and do check the forums often.

I don't have kids and never will so that solves that dilemma for me! But the new front page is very spiffy. I like.

I am not going to reply to the other things you wrote at the moment because I am a bit in a hurry and writing in English takes a bit time for me. All I can say for now is: I might not live in the same country, what your country's schools do might differ greatly from what the schools do here.

I suggest you to create a topic in the "Suggestions" thread if you feel strongly about this, if you haven't already. I already have said what I wanted to say for the most part and do not feel like talking & talking & talking the same things over and over again (anymore, I was more active/aggressive in the past I know) when I know my opinion most likely won't change. I see no problem with how the new site is set up right now and do not agree with you and that's it.

Good luck smile.gif