TJ09

2014-11-18 - Patch Notes

Ooh got the new front page today! I really do like seeing the recent news on the side, and I foresee it being super helpful to users who don't frequent the forum.

I also think the page looks pretty cramped now. I got the new homepage layout today and I see how the news sidebar will probably be useful to a lot of people, but aesthetically I preferred it before.

Looks like the new home page is starting to spread around, I'll be checking regularly for mine. biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what it looks like as I didn't seem to get the new page, but I assume it looks similar to the news post about it. Would it maybe be better if the news and things were along the top instead of the side?

I can only see the new layout when I'm logged out. When I sign back in it disappears. laugh.gif

I doubt I'll be seeing the new homepage at all (and almost hope I don't for loading reasons) because I can only browse on mobile but, seeing what folks have said so far, I think that maybe the news bar should be across the top of the page instead of along the side as well.

And the option to collapse the news bar, and keep that setting for each reload of the page after that, could be helpful to those who don't want to see it every time. Collapse-able things are nifty.

I've just seen the new homepage. That is to say... I saw the news listed, which I think is a great thing! This might get more users to the forums as well, I imagine smile.gif

Is it correct that I don't see the new art yet? I was looking forward to that... Maybe the homepage will look less cramped with the new art?

I've seen the new homepage, and I agree with what many say: it looks very cramped. But I want to give some constructive criticism. Please keep in mind that these are just my opnions about the changes, I don't want to sound like a hater because I am definitely not.

The "Welcome to Dragon Cave! etc." part and the "Log in" part is too close to the buttons above. Also the "Recent news" section is too close to the "log in" section. This is in my opinion the main reason why it looks messy.

I've learned in school that "open spaces" between content can make a site look more "peaceful". And I think that's what the new page needs: a peaceful structure. The way it looks now is too messy. It will look a lot less cramped if there is more spacing between the content.

I tried to make a little example of how I think the spacing should be done. I didn't use a grid or anything (even though I should have used one...). So my example will have differences in the open spaces (like in the news section). That section also needs some more spacing.

Here it is. It's an animation.

I apologize for my bad English.

I agree the homepage seems a bit crowded now, but on the bright side the biomes (the place where the more cramped links would've been a bigger problem if you ask me) still look the same so I can live with it.

Also, yay for having news on the main page xd.png

I like the news on the new homepage biggrin.gif It is something new and will take a little time for me to get used to the new look but I am sure that in no time it will be familiar. Thanks TJ!

I've already seen the new homepage and I love the fact that the news appear there. Thank you, TJ!

I just got the new home page today. It does look a bit cramped, but it doesn't really affect its functionality at all. I guess having the news on that page is good for some who don't visit the forum often. I will probably see the news on the forum before I would get it on the home page so it is not really an improvement for me personally.

Do any of you have a screenshot of the new home page? ohmy.gif

user posted image

Reporting that I can see new homepage layout now.

It does look like a blog, with the cave information&map as the blog entry on the left and the recent news section as "tags/recommended entries/recent entries" on the right. I like that. Thanks!

(I hope we get to see a DC clock soon but no pressure, TJ.)

ETA:

By Saynna:

I can only see the new layout when I'm logged out. When I sign back in it disappears.

For me it's the other way around. I only see the new layout when I'm logged in.

Edited by Mondat

I've seen the new homepage, and I agree with what many say: it looks very cramped. But I want to give some constructive criticism. Please keep in mind that these are just my opnions about the changes, I don't want to sound like a hater because I am definitely not.

The "Welcome to Dragon Cave! etc." part and the "Log in" part is too close to the buttons above. Also the "Recent news" section is too close to the "log in" section. This is in my opinion the main reason why it looks messy.

I've learned in school that "open spaces" between content can make a site look more "peaceful". And I think that's what the new page needs: a peaceful structure. The way it looks now is too messy. It will look a lot less cramped if there is more spacing between the content.

I tried to make a little example of how I think the spacing should be done. I didn't use a grid or anything (even though I should have used one...). So my example will have differences in the open spaces (like in the news section). That section also needs some more spacing.

Here it is. It's an animation.

I apologize for my bad English.

ooh, I do like the more roomy look! It looks nice.

Just how slow is a slow roll out? It's been 8 days since the OP and all I get to see are screenshots.

Well, I got the new home page about two hours ago and now when I check its gone. >u<

Ahh, come back.

Anyhow, I think the news section is great. Players who don't use the forums will know when there are updates now, though the biomes look a bit squished.

Well, I got the new home page about two hours ago and now when I check its gone. >u<

Ahh, come back.

laugh.gif Same here. I even posted a screen shot on the previous page, so I know I really did have it. But now it is gone.