Ryujin13

Little lost dragon and I

Bor gave a small smile and took another drink of beer as Varren went through the thinking process, pleased that he had even gotten this far.

"Not entirely the right strategy for this game, but you're mostly graspin it." Bor said, obviously phrasing his words carefully as he spoke. "You might be focusin to much on the pieces though. After all a game has to have strategy. For instance, there might not be a best piece on this board, but what if we added a new rule eh? That would make for an interestin night. Maybe if a color got new abilities. Then the game would change so much that it might be unbalanced." He shrugged and smiled at the group before sitting on the grass, his back to the huge stone as he puffed on his pipe.

Kara had been silent through this whole bit, thinking on Bor's words, trying to fully understand what he was trying to say. She understood most of it, but something was alluding her.

"So you and your siblings are in a game that cannot be own by any side because you always end up back where you started. So one of you is trying to win the game by bringing in a wild card to get a new ability?" She asked, glancing at Bor who merely smiled shrugged. "Right... So he or she wants a new power so that they can win the game. How do they do that though? And where does the red cage fit in with the whole thing, and the castle?" She lapsed into silence as she considered the whole thing, trying to understand the angles that she had been shown.

Fren stood up "They need someone to do that for them, look at how restrained they at least claim to be. They need a pawn to get them that new ability or new rule. The pawn is not bound by the rules largely because they refuse to tell us the rules, if one does not know then how can they go by something that's never said?" she asked before narrowing her eye's at Bor "They'll play nice however notice how Jak was whisked away before he could get to safety? He's a pawn to that being, Alina's a pawn I'm a blasted pawn. But over all, its up to the pawns who wins there game. Because with out us they would only stale mate constantly, or when one makes a bad move which may not happen for a long time." she stated "And being the kind of beings with the level power they got, they don't give a dam if we want to help or not. Jak was lured, I was tricked, Alina was also lured in a another manner. Not one of us where asked before being bound!" she said with a angry hiss before she closed her eye's and sighed "Which strangely enough, seems to be a trait among human like species. You comply to there demands or they'll try to make you. More so if they have skin instead of something else." she said freely now with out Jak to hear it.

Varren nodded and looked at Bor "This is out of her area of expertises, she may come across as judging or blunt, but she has a point, well a few points, one, sounds like where the wild card, and Jak's...... master may have him on rought as we speak, she has him doing 9 favors for her after she marked him. Medad has not yet shown but I have a feeling he has plans for Alina and Fren. that least you and your wind sister, so tell me Bor, after the weeks over, will you come after us like your siblings? Because if Fren's in any way correct, lieing will heavily influence who we decide that wins, which might be a while still as we have our own survival to worry about, a family feud is not a high priority for us." he explained.

Bor listened quietly as the group spoke, his brown eyes unfathomable as they considered everything being said. He took a long draw on his pipe when Varren finished, then blew the blue smoke out one side of his mouth away from the group.

"Did yeh ever notice how many people play games?" He asked casually, blowing a smoke ring down the hill. "There are a lot, but they always seem teh have the same reasons. Some play because they truly like the game, some play ta' win at all costs, some play because they can't stop themselves from playing, and others... Others play ta' keep everyone else from winning, if only because they want the game to continue without ending. Sometimes a game is so hard on a current situation, either because of strained relationships, or whatever else, that the winning of something so simple as a game could destroy it forever though. So sometimes it's better to keep a game going then to simply let it end."

Kara frowned at this, thinking harder as Bor continued to dance around the answers the group needed. She had to admit, he was doing very well in steering them towards an answer, the question was whether he was telling the truth.

"What if there is no relationship to destroy?" She asked quietly, causing Bor to raise his eyebrows.

"Then who knows what might survive, eh lass?" He asked with a smile and another poof of smoke. "Maybe some things, maybe nothin but whatever's left wouldna' be the same. Not for the players or their play space."

Kara's eyes widened a little as she looked into Bor's, understanding dawning as she followed the logic to its conclusion. "Winning the game could destroy things couldn't it?" She asked was Bor smiled and shrugged, sending another smoke ring down the hill. "How much could be destroyed maximum?" She asked quietly.

Bor glanced at the sky, which was darkening, and shrugged, puffing some more smoke. "I wonder how far eternity actually is?" He asked absentmindedly, as though commenting on the weather.

Varren looked at Bor "I'm sorry, I was born and raised in a war zone and haven't exactly gotten a chance to live in a area where fun and games can be a normal past time." he admitted but nodded. He was thinking on it and looked at Fren. She looked back at him and gave him a nod. "Sounds like your goal, is to delay the end of the game rather then bring it to a close. Or the affects could span a long time." he said before glancing at the crystal.

The drone seemed to go still mid air before it beeped a number of times then "Adding more peices would prolong the game then as well, while keeping it interesting." a mechanical voice said "More peices, more possiblity's, perhaps the pawns are more then just a factor, there players in the game as well." the drone seemed to say promting Fren to turn around on it "I am using my brawler, yes thats what this is called, to communicate, I'm in range." the voice said through it.

((I'm just going as this goes lol. tired brain may not be doing so well I dunnu, This feels like something Varren should clue into but my brain needs to first lol))

"No you're missing the point." Kara said quickly, looking at Varren and then at the robot. "If he's telling the truth, and even if it upsets you Bor we have to consider it, anyway, if he isn't lying, then he's trying to keep the game going, not because it's interesting, but because it ending could result in the death of who knows how many."

Bor was hummining as Kara spoke, refilling his pipe as if nothing was happening, although he did get a hard look when he was told that they couldn't believe him, but finally looked up and nodded as Kara reached the end.

"There we go, you understand more of it then any have in awhile, so now we can talk a bit more freely." He said cheerily. "What you are talking about is what happens when something goes out of balance. If something's out of balance, then nature wants to rectify it. A sun for instance runs off of a fine balancing act of fuel, size and the like. To be honest I don't know that much about the stars, Medad is the one ta' talk to about that sorta thing, but the point is, when it can't sustain itself, when the balance is gone, nature try's to get everything to equal out by having it all blow sky high, or shrink, or whatever suns do when they're outta gas. Either way, the results are destructive in one way or another. Same concept with the game."

"So who are you and your siblings and why do you control so much power?" Kara asked, folding her arms as the sun began to sink and she became cold once more.

"Ah if only I could explain to yeh lass, but I cannot. Not just because of ancient bindings, but also for your own safety. Trying to explain wouldn't work because you wouldna' understand, and showing ya would destroy your mind. Nuria once found a loophole in the bindings and showed a being once. It wasn't pretty ta' say the least. But what I am isna' here nor there. What's important is what's happening. No I cannot go into details about players, movements, allegiances, or anything like that. Again I couldn't explain it to ya before your bodies died. In short I cannot reveal anything to ya that could interfere with the game beyond an overview. Now that you've managed to glimpse the game through, ahem, normal discussion, we can't talk a bit more in depth, but that's all." He explained as he stood and went to a nearby pit that seemed to have randomly appeared. Bor played with so shiny inside for a few moments before a great bonfire was going and new seats were set around it.

"Like I said, the game is reaching a breaking point. A point that is pushing at the fabric of reality, bringing the castle into the fore once more, makin' it active. Surely you've notice how many new people have shown up in just the last week alone. Something is makin' it move at a faster pace, and that doesn't bode well for anyone."

The drone tracked Bor "Sounds like the game needs a resource, and that resource being new pawns, shutting down that supply would prolong the game for sure prolonging the game much longer for those wanting to finish it. As well as make the current pawns much more valuable."

Varren looked at the ground in thought. "We need to put the breaks on." he said "The drone has a point, but I get the feeling Kara and I will be dragged into this fully for sure afterwards." he said looking at Kara "Who ever survives will be the game changers as well." he said looking at Bor now "You and your family have a strange tie to this place. If its obeying your family's need for pawns like this." he commented.

Fren looked at Bor "How would we remove the binds that where forced on us though? Jak, Me, Alina. I get the feeling if Varren and Kara shut down the place, they'll be on there own because I some how doubt your sibling want that, thus will make those of us dragged into this stupid game getting a hard time." she said

"Who says it obeys my family?" Bor asked lightly, drinking from the mug he had just filled. "As I said, this place is alive. My family may use its... Collections as pieces, but that doesn't make it ours. We may use it as our playing field, but that doesn't make it ours. Nothing can be owned if it doesn't want to be, and this place... This place is magic. It doesn't want to be owned, it doesn't want to be told how to sail. It moves of its own will, does as it wishes, takes what it wants. My family knows as much about the castle as anyone does, and that is still close to nothing. Who built it, the secrets it keeps, what it's purpose is... None of those things are known by anyone. Canace tried to find out once, she was always the most bookish of the for of us, but even she couldn't find much beyond what we already know."

Kara stood suddenly and moved to the fire, pulling her blankets tight around her as she moved her chair as close to the fire as possible without catching fire herself.

The sun was down now, and above the stars had begun to appear, causing Bor to look up and point to a shining red dot in the sky.

"See it?" He asked, looking around. "See the red cage? It's close to falling, and the game will end if it happens, with consequences beyond imagining if it does. I cannot break the bonds you have already created with my brothers and sisters, but of you all I only see two real bonds, you Fren, and Jak. Alina's bracelet is just a trinket, neither a bond nor a deal. It does not link her to Medad, at least not in any binding way. It would allow her to find him if she wanted to enough. Fren, the bonds holding you will fall when you have completed the service that Medad charged you with, although I am not privy to its details. Jak is a bit trickier. He is bound by his deal with Nuria, as well as the penance band that he bears from Medad. He has a long way to go before he is truly free again, but he will live through it, of that I have no doubt. As for the rest of you, you are stuck. I cannot be any more blunt then that. This game wants to end, but doesn't need to end. Certain people are trying to end it, some aren't. Until balance is achieved you are stuck in the middle of it. You have options, but they come down to this: maintain neutrality and try to solve this yourselves, or find a sponsor and gain the power and protection that comes with it. I am not asking you to join me, I am not telling you what to do, I am just listing your options so that you fully understand what's at stake."

Fren folder her arms across her chest "Well if that's the case and if Medad did not sneak in a secret objective, then at least all it is is mothering Jak more or less and he's got a few more years at least before he reaches adult hood." she explained

Varren looked at the bond fire his eye's watching the flames dance "I'd rather be 'struck' in that case. So far getting a sponcer seems to mean a deal and you don't find out your half until its to late. Such things are not safe, not when we need to focus on surviving or the place will kill us." he explained "Maybe we can contain the results of this game to where its played, in this castle. So the goal remains, to find its control point and shut it down, by any means necessary." he said "I know it will doom all those still inside, and I hate the idea of cutting off others chances to survive, but its either that, or more suffer and the possiblity of this game affecting much more then this place." he said half to him self before looking at Bor "I get the feeling though, while you may not be interested in bothering us, your siblings might. what can you tell us about them? We've them but Medad tricks Jak and Fren, his sister lured Jak, and there all trying to get Alina's favor which is strange." he said

Bor sighed and looked deep into the fire, lost in thought as he considered Varren's question. He stayed that way for a few minutes, before finally breaking the silence.

"I cannot go into detail over my brothers or sisters. I cannot fully tell you about myself. I know you're tired of hearing that but I can't help it, that's just the way things are. That being said, I can tell you a little. Every culture on any planet, in any universe has believed in the four element at some point. Water, earth, fire and air, all linked together by spirit. My siblings and I embody those ideas, as well as millions of others, all taken from different races across time and space." He explained, his form flickering from species to species, sometimes huge and many limbed, sometimes small, sometimes hardly there, all with hundreds of shapes, colors and consistencies. He flicked through a few forms the group would recognize as well, a Shatong and a Naga being two of them. "We embody different ideals that races have given to us down the ages. We were not born, we were created by mortal minds. In short, we are as close to gods as anything mortals can conjure. We are not gods though. No matter what any one of us might say or do, we are not all powerful. We embody different ideals of gods, but we are not the gods themselves, just physical manifestations of their different aspects." He explained to the group, his eyes lingering on all of their own as his gaze passed to each person. "I am sure you already know which of us embody which element, and I cannot explain much beyond this. Medad is the aspect of order: he is judge, jury and executioner if need be. His will is strong, and once he has made a decision it is impossible to change it. Nuria is chaos unbound, the fire that runs uncontrolled through the forest. She is not evil though, because without chaos nothing could exist. Mortals would not have a reason to live for what is a mortals life but trying to contain chaos? Canace is the wind of change, she is the one who gives thoughts and emotions to those in need. Imagination, dreams, all the fantastical things thought up have been influenced by her." Bor explained.

"What about you?" Kara asked quietly, pulling her blankets tighter around herself.

"Bit narcissistic to describe yourself eh?" Bor asked with a smile. "I'm the earth from which life itself is born, the master of beasts and shapes, the destructive force of nature and the rejuvenating one. And that's who my siblings and I are. Beings with to much power and no one but us to police ourselves."

"Why are the others so interested in Alina though?" Kara asked politely, remembering Varren's other question.

"Her kind can walk time and space will, affect the very reality they tread on. She could create or destroy anything she desired, all without repercussions to herself. We live off of the imaginings of mortals. If she starts removing pieces each of us become less powerful. We might even cease to exist. Seems like a good reason to stay on her good side." Bor explained quietly so that Alina, who was still eating happily at the table, couldn't hear.

"That's not the whole reason though." Kara said, her eyes sharp as she watched Bor, who merely smiled.

"No it's not las, but I cannot say any more on that subject. Ancient vows between my family restrains us from giving out to much information. Keeps us from making any one peice to powerful with knowledge they shouldn't possess."

Varren watched the bond fire for a bit as Bor spoke. When he finished Varren looked at the group members "In the old times, when civilation was still being born, many have story's as well of where the gods like creatures born of the peoples minds, had a avatar chosen by the god like creature, through this chosen one the god like creatures would maintain faith in them. Thus keeping them strong and in control." he said before looking at Bor "However they only have as much power over you as you allow. However its not as simple as it may sound, your mind needs to not fear them, once you can face them with out fear of there current power, they won't be able to touch you." he explained before looked back at the group "Only true gods would be able to maintain control with out your faith."

Fren looked at Bor then at Varren "My people have explored the stars and I can confirm this." she said "Once a culture moved on the fake gods rarely where recorded with any control or power over the people." she said

"Except the faith of mortals isn't so simple as cutting off a supply." Bor said. "Mortals imaginings are born as a single prick of light, and as more begin to believe it, the speck becomes bigger until it joins others, forming an idea big enough to enrapture thousands, then millions and sometimes more. Even if the faith is lost though, the light remains, the faith that was poured into it gives it strength. We are what happens when enough of these come together to become self-sufficient. The ideas that are now attached to us continue to form us forever after we become it's center." Not explained. "I know it's confusing, but let's just leave it at what's been said and not try to pick it apart right? You can only comprehend so much, and that's only the tiniest of fractions of the top layer."

"Nuria is passion too, isn't she?" Kara asked suddenly, looking over at Bor, who smiled back at her.

"Aye she is, passion, power, lust, dangerous but essential things to a mortal, for without passion what is the point of life? Whithout power what would one reach for? Without lust... Well actually that one mortals could probably do without but it's kind of in their nature so not really much to do about it." He said with another smile. "Like I said though, she isn't inherently evil. She is a manifestation of what mortals crave and desire, as well as what they see and feel when they look at a fire. The exhilaration of having the most primal thing at their command, that sort of thing."

Kara nodded quietly and gazed into the fire, her thoughts unknowable as the sparks and embers reflected off her golden eyes.

Alina meanwhile had finished eating and finally wandered over from the table to crawl into Fren's lap where she closed her eyes and fell asleep, her small snores announcing her contentment.

"What's Nuria doing with Jak do you think?" Kara asked, finally breaking the silence that had fallen.

Bor's face darkened a little at this question and he shifted uncomfortably. "She has spoken of things in the past, possible ploys in the game, and in Jak she might have found a way to enact one. She has spoken of bringing a child into the game, although she cannot do this because it goes against our very nature as well as the rules of the game. She has talked about finding those who built the castle, which could be good or bad for everyone. But in my opinion, the most likely thing she is doing is seducing him, either with more power, women or whatever else he might desire. She'll stay within the limits of the rig that Medad gave him, but that won't keep her from trying to work her way further into Jak's psyche."

Varren nodded "Yes that is correct, however it does not take much to create a shadow in a bright room." he said "Reguardless of what you all embody, you are not true gods, only true gods can affect those that don't believe in them." he said before Fren crossed her arms across her chest though now being careful not to disturb Alina.

"I'm suppost to be mothering that boy but how does Medad expect me to be able to do that as long as Nuria just gives him what he wants? He clearly likes just getting it he hates being told no to anything. Unless he had a spurt of self control like most of you he'll just be encouraged more to the wrong end of things." she hissed half to her self. "And why is it that with almost anything that has a human form they all want power of some sort. Or more power if they already got it. Never happy with what they have and got already. The idea of more power or what is life is a human and human only consept, however its been adopted by many sadly. When you got a entire race trying to be 'better' then there fellow kind a system to make some better then others is achieved. Then you get the saying, the richer get richer, and the poorer get poorer. But the struggle for more power only drags them as a race to the brink of extinction in time due to the corruption it comes with, like a lightly poisoned cup of...... think the bloody humans called it wine, it builds and builds then finally kills." she said quietly clearly disgusted with it as well.

Varren looked at her then at Bor "You'll have to excuse her, she's..... kept her thoughts about humans bottled up in a agreement she made with Jak, he's a heavy supporter of humans, she's the the polar opposite. However on the subject of what you all enbody, clearly not a limitation to say those as you just said what your sister maybe, what do you and Medad and your other sister of change." he said hearing Fren sigh in frustration before looking to see her now just looking at Alina gently petting the hatchlings back.

Bor listened quietly as Fren vented about humans, watching her movements, listening to her tones and the way she spoke, and generally took in everything she did.

"We take on the forms of humans because it is a race you are all familiar with." He said. "If this form makes you uncomfortable..." He immediately flickered and appeared as alarge beast, about right feet tall when sitting and easily 20 or so long.

"I understand why you hate humans Fren." Bor continued, his voice now sounding like two rocks grinding together. "But can you honestly say that the traits you mentioned are only human? You act as though every species but them started pure and were subverted by the humans flaws. No species is pure, not the Shatong, not the naga, not even the shadow dragons."

He shifted slightly to get more comfortable, then muttered in a language they couldn't understand.

"Remember though, Jak wears a penance band, he cannot go against it without death, so Nuria will have to be careful what she tries to tempt him with. Maybe he'll surprise you Fren, maybe he's actually learnt something while under your care."

Bor shrugged and shifted again, his movements sounding like a landslide as he spoke quietly in the unknown language. "As for the rest of us, I suppose I could supply you with a little more. Medad is control like I said, but he is also a being of unending purpose, of compassion, and of vengeance. What is a river but a constantly flowing force that never stops until it is blocked or the water runs out, it will doggedly follow it's path until it's purpose is destroyed before stopping. Water does feel compassion however, and it heals the sick and wounded when it can, cleaning their wounds, giving them strength and cooling their fevers. As for vengeance, it can be a destructive force as well, if one doesn't respect it, if one chooses to wall it off or try to control it and doesn't respect it's capabilities, eventually water will destroy the one and all they love.

My sister Canace is a person of talent like I said, but she is also one of laziness, and of resistance. She is lazy because what does wind do but take the easiest route? It blows around things that stand in its way, it always moves in the path of least resistance. The wind also resists other things however. If the wind blows against something, it might take the easies route itself, but doesn't it also push back? A vehicle has to push against this resistance, to work itself through the wind in order to move.

Me? I'm easy, I'm the planets themselves, the rocks, trees, the beasts and the plants. I give the animals the instincts and senses to understand danger, to fly to warmer climates in winter, to raise their young to survive even if it is easy prey. I make things grow, die and be reborn again, I control the seasons, the changes and most other things in the natural world. In short I'm the wilderness and all that lives in it." Bor concluded with a shrug.

Fren looked up at Bor as he spoke. She was about to look away when he changed forms. Then he said he understood why she hated the humans, why was it all these beings the ones who can't help understood? Did not help she was no more important then a piece in a game. She narrowed her eye's at him though. "I'm well aware every race has there flaws, however it is humans that assume all races must conform to them, its humans that think there way is the best way for all speices. They spread like a unchecked illness across the lands they are on, killing those that do not move aside for them." she said in a low tone, her tail moving in a agitated manner "My own people are not perfect I admit, in fact many find our society oppressive. But we don't force it on others unless you enter our territory, not if we enter yours. We do not conform to other ways, if the other race can't take that we leave them alone, and most of the time they leave us alone, unless your talking about humans who try what they did in the past. There culture cultivates it. There society subverts those with in, willing or not." she nearly spat before she closed her eye's to try and calm down. When Bor mentioned Jak and how he might suprize her she opened her eye's and sighed "Should he display such, he would have earned a reason for me to be proud of his achievement. I know it is not easy for one of his age to learn another cultures self control, more so when he was raised by the very race that is more and more against such." she said before sighing "Vengence is indeed something that needs to be channelled. Otherwise it will be harmful to those around." she said before closing her eye's and took a deep breath to calm down again.

When he explained his sibling she opened her eye's again when he mentioned he was the wilderness and everything in it. "You must like thriving on planets where the wilderness is part of the dominate species home?" she asked "More so when they don't disrupt the flow of the planet, or at least try to work around it, unlike say the humans?" she asked.

Bor watched Fren impassively as she spoke against humans, taking in what she was saying but giving no emotions back until she finally quieted slightly.

"I am not going to argue about humans with you Fren." He rumbled. "It is a fight that has no winner and brings only anger. I would only say that no species is perfect, and although what you say is true about some humans is true, they are present in hundreds of different universes, and quite a few have overcome the tendencies that you have mentioned. As for the wilderness, while it does hurt me to see what they have done in some universes, others have realized their mistakes and rectified them in favor of a more peaceful coexistence with their planet. In that regard there are far worse races then them. Races who literally suck a planet dry of all life and beauty and leave broken and cracked earth behind them. That is true destruction. Nothing, not even the atmosphere is left, and nothing will ever grow there again. They do this to every planet, moon, and rock in a solar system, then move to the next. Nothing can compare." Bor said, his voice growing angry at this last part. He obviously didn't like this species, and what was more seemed to hate them, loath even. "I have been imagined innumerable times as taking power from the earth and living things, and in every single manifestation of that unholy race they destroy until there is literally nothing left before moving onto to another galaxy. Death is all they are, and even though what they do is instinctual, they are not natural, and they shouldn't exist!" He was truly angry now his size increasing by the moment until he was like a mountain, his eyes flashing as the earth below the group rumbled, as trees cracked in the distance and as images of an alien horde appeared and disappeared in flashes across the sky. "I've done everything in my power to stamp them out and still they persist! Destroying, melting and eating the remains! Locusts of the stars! Hunger incarnate!" Bor roared as thunder clapped above and the ground shook more violently still.

He paced back and forth as he yelled at the heavens, his footfalls echoing in the night. Finally he seemed to come back to himself and shrunk so that he wasn't as large as he had started, now about the same size as Varren overall.

Slowly the clouds disappeared and the ground stopped shaking, the stars reappeared and a calm night came back as Bor settled in, breathing heavily as he stared into the fire.

Alina had woken up during the chaos and was crying in Fren's arms, her eyes hidden so that she wouldn't have to see Bor so angry.

Kara had leapt up and backed away, her eyes wide as Bor had ranted, and at the height of the chaos she too burst into flames, her golden eyes burning bright as she threw the blankets away. Kara clutched her head and sank to her knees as everything happened before falling to the ground unconscious.

When Bor regained composure he turned into another humanoid form and walked to Kara's side where he took her into his arms. Carefully he placed a hand on her brow and muttered to her in a language no one could understand.

After almost a minute Kara gasped loudly as her eyes flew open and she sat up, looking around in confusion until her eyes fell on Bor who was once again the beast thing.

"I remember." She said finally, touching her head lightly where she had hit it after the fall.

"Aye, I healed yah as best I could, free of charge. It was my fault I made you lose control, so I figure I owe you one." He said with a smile. "I'll warn you now though, you remember some, but not all. You did a lot of damage to yourself using all of your fire like you did, and a lot of the memories you had were destroyed forever. I don't know what all you remember, but you're lucky it's even half of what you once knew." He said, looking around now. "I'm sorry I lost control. I shouldn't have, but they are one of the things that truly make me angry. I'll leave you for the night after you've finished your questions." He finished, seemingly upset now that he had lost control like he had.

Kara meanwhile was sitting and trying to figure out what all she remembered. She remembered parts of everything, small pieces of import like her banishment, most of her childhood, friends, previous loves and important things like that, but nothing of the castle beyond the medical bay and what had transpired since. "Why can't I remember the castle?" She asked Bor.

"I can only guess." Bor warned, causing Kara to shrug.

"I don't care, guess." She invited.

"I would guess that when you used your fire like you did, you poured your hatred of the castle, your memories, emotions, and everything else, as well as everything else into your fires power, but most importantly your control. Because you had such bad emotions tied to the castle, and it was so recent a memory, you probably destroyed those memories in the process." He said quietly.

Alina, meanwhile, continued to shake and cry in Fren's arms as Bor apologized, her face hidden in the crook of Fren's arm like she always did when upset.

Fren held Alina closely in her arms her tail brought around to gently stroke the upset hatchlings back. She looked at Bor "Many races have story's of such races, a dark cloud in the sky or a overlord that strangely vanished after some time but every race has a story in the universe I come from." she said Before looking at the bond fire as she continued to hold and stroke Alina.

Varren had backed off at Bors loss of control. Though once he had control again he put his weapon away. "We know our goal, we know the risks, we have a much better idea of whats going on then before, I think its time we all got some rest." he said looking at the whole group "Kara, your mind is going to need time to readjust its self for the restored information it now has." he said with a nod and looked at Bor "I can safely say so far, you've been he biggest help to us, and for that, we thank you. Hard to come by and tell who's trust worthy and who's not in this place." he admitted before holding a hand out to Bor to shake.

Fren looked at Bor again "If it helps you at all, my people.... we restore planets that we can. We reconstruct DNA fragments of planets and the critters of that world as our homes fertilize the planet soil again. Provided this is some kind of atmosphere, it may take a while but every planet we find and settle on is aided in its recovery if need be." she said attempting to let him know he can rely on a race to help him, even if they do not believe in him at all.

Bor looked down at Varren's hand before turning human again and taking the Naga's hand. Bor'a grip was like being crushed between rocks, his palms and fingers callused from extensive use, and his sheer size making them big enough to palm Varren's head easily. Thankfully Bor didn't squeeze, instead letting go as gently as possible after he had shaken.

"Don't trust anyone Varren." Bor advised. "You know this as well as anyone, the castle is unforgiving and harsh. Trust is just another word for dead of given freely."

Bor turned to Fren next and gently touched Alina's cheek as the hatchling looked up, feeds still staining her cheeks.

"Now, now, little one." He said quietly. "No need for that, I'm sorry I scared yeh. It wasn't on purpose." Bor gently wiped a tear from Alina's cheek then touched touched her side lightly.

Alina immediately fell asleep in Fren's arms, snoozing contentedly as though she had been asleep all night.

"I shouldn't have scared her like that. I have her a dreamless sleep that will refresh better then any natural one. I thank you for yor offer Fren, and the knowledge that you would help if you can, sadly the planets these beings leave behind are beyond even Shatog skills. I appreciate it though." He said before turning backs to the others.

"There are beds for you all over there, each suited to your race, and a hotspring just down the hill for bathes and the like. Fren, a special bed and pool are right over there for your use right over there. The pitcher on the table has been enchanted to give you all the same dreamless sleep that Alina is in if you wish it. If you drink you will wake up at 9 AM for breakfast. No more time then that will have past. Good night to all of you." Bor said before turning on the spot and disappearing from view.

Kara looked at the others before going to look at the hot spring. She took awhile to clean herself entirely, and even longer to wash her clothes, but when she was finished she found fresh towels and wrapped one around herself before running up to her bed which sat near one of the stone pillars. It was a wooden affair, with the posts and heaboard looking like branches from a tree, while the mattress was soft and fluffy to the touch. What was truly marvelous though was that the bed itself seemed to grow from the ground, and was indeed alive even as Kara wrapped herself in her huge pile of blankets, took a drink of the liquid that Bor had offered, and drifted off to sleep.

Varren nodded and watched Bor as he went over to Fren and Alina. Then after announcing the beds and enchanted liquid before vanishing, Varren decided to take the opportunity to clean up. He went over too the pool and after a few controls opened up his armor on his torso and along his coils. He slithered out of it and started to clean the inside of it.

Mean while Fren made her way to the beds and gently tucked Alina in her bed making sure the hatchling would not grow cold and was snug. The amount of tenderness as she did this was more out of character for her normal self. She knelt and gave the hatchling a small kiss on her head before moving over to Kara and made a few adjustments to tuck Kara in even though the girl was already asleep as well. She then cleaned up in the cleaning pool provided before going over to her kinds bed and laying down, the flesh like stuff slowly molding to her form.

Varren spent another hour or so cleaning the rest of his armor before bathing him self. He found him self thinking on what the future may hold for them. Many paths lead to death of some way shape or form. Few lead to life and fewer to freedom.

He finished and got into the bed met for him before sighing. He closed his eye's before slowly having some of the liquid and falling into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning the group woke at the time promised by Bor, with birds chirping overhead and the meadow surrounding the hill buzzing with bees.

Bor sat at the table which was filled with different breakfast items including eggs, bacon and everything else one could imagine.

"Good morning." He said, inviting them all to join him with a gesture. "I hope you're all hungry after last night. The day has begun and you still have 12 hours or so of safety here. You can leave whenever you like of course, but I would assume that you want to savor your time here. I have good news as well." He continued, gesturing to a bed that hadn't been there the night before. In it was Jak's sleeping form, but he had begun to stir as Bor spoke. "My sister contacted me last night and I agreed to let Jak join us as long as her power held no sway here.from what I can tell he is no different then when he left and hasn't gained anything from my dear sister, so there is that. The only thig is the fact that his time has passed quicker then your own. While you have only been here a day, he's been gone three weeks."

Jak had sat up at this point and was already wandering over to the table, his eyes half closed and his nose working as he followed the smell of coffee. When he found his seat he poured himself a cup and drank before putting his head on the table and groaning. He didn't say or do much beyond drinking his coffee or eating breakfast, but by the time the others were gettig down he was getting back to normal.

"Fuzzy!" Alina shouted happily, bounding over to him and crawling into his lap.

Jak smiled and scratched behind her neck ridge like she enjoyed, murmuring a hello.

"Fuzzy what happened?" She asked, laying down while he took another swig of coffee.

"Yes, what did happen?" Kara asked curiously after joining the table.

Jak looked around and took another drink before sighing shaking his head. "Well, Nuria took me outside the castle and I completed three more tasks." He said. "It sounds like a good thing leaving but it wasn't really. The first thig was I had to plant some documents in some teachers desk, don't know what they said and I didn't ask. The second was to get these stones from this desert, not a fun one. That desert hit 150 degrees easy every day and that took a week and a half by itself. The third was to challenge this guy to a duel. I beat him but Nuria had me leave him in shame. I guess he insulted her in some way? I don't know it doesn't matter. In between she kept trying to get me to agree to different deals, most involving you guys. She didn't like that I said no." Jak said quietly, lifting his shirt and showing a patch of fur on his stomach. The fur in question was burnt down to the skin in the shape of a hand, and was still red as though he had just scalded it. "Anyway, that's about it." He said, drinking his coffee again.

"What deals did she want to give?" Kara asked curiously.

"She offered to bind you to me." Jak said carefully. "She offered more power, that sort of thing. She... She also offered us a way home if we all agreed to help her with the red cage whatever that is." He said quietly, looking down. "I said no but I don't know if I did the right thing."

Bor had listened carefully to all this and merely nodded at this but refused to comment when asked for his opinion, only offering that the group had to make its own decisions, and that they had heard his side of it already.

Fren woke up and a scent hit her nose that she had not smelled in a long time. She lifted her head silently sniffing the air wondering if her mind was just craving the stuff. She got up as the others made there way to the table and at her seat she saw a breakfast she had not seen in a long time. "Is that?" she asked narrowing her eye's and coming over to get a closer look. "It is...." she said. She sat down and quickly scanned it before she carefully took a bite. Her eye's remained narrowed but went for a unsure/thinking it was fake to a thoroughly enjoying the taste in her mouth look. Though she refused her expression to show any further enjoyment to not raise questions. She looked at Jak as he spoke. She paused in her eating when he mentioned him being offered more deals. She did not do anything till he said a few of the deals he was offered.

When he said no even to the red cage one she got up and walked over to him. She placed a hand on his shoulder and gently lifted his shirt to look at the burn. "Well if you've said everything, I think someone has earned some reward." she said quickly putting a cut on her armor, right away the cut filled with a white ooze. She got some on her fingure and very gently thinly wiped it on his burn, right away he would feel a tingling of the healing itch but after a few moments the skin was the color it was when healthy. "I'm proud of you Jak, you've done well." she said with a smile and a pat on his shoulder.

Varren nodded "You did the right thing Jak, refusing the offer with the red cage the biggest one, while you've been gone we have been...... compiling information on the situation. And giving her the red cage would be a big mistake for more then just us." he explained "Unlike the others, Bor has made use of any loop hole of the restrictions, that we know of. to help us get a better idea of whats going on. He and his sibling are all either trying to get this cage and what it traps, or trying to delay that as long as possible."

"Oh, well that's good I guess." Jak said when told that he had been right to refuse the deal. He gave Fren a smmall smile when she healed him, and when he looked back at the wound it was a freshly healed pink although the fur was still patchy and had to grow back on its own.

"Fuzzy, Kara got her memory back!" Alina said happily as she used Jak's lap as a stool to get into the table.

"Oh, well that's great." Jak said, smiling as best he could while secretly feeling a swell of disappointment. "I guess I need to welcome her back then." He said, smiling at Kara. "I'm sorry if I offended you earlier, it... I wasn't going to act on it." He said awkwardly.

"Well I don't remember everything Jak." Kara said, smiling back. "I remember the important bits, but nothing of the castle beyond the medical area where I woke up. I don't even remember most of my time at home, just my banishment, my parents, that sort of thing. It's weird though, I remember the events, but I don't really... I guess they don't really mean much. The emotions are gone. I mean when I got banished I know I should feel sad, angry, that sort of thing, but it's like watching a movie, it's like it's someone else's memory." She explained, forwning as she tried to explain it.

"As I said, you used emotions, memories, every singles scrap of willpower and self you had went into controlling your fire. I brought back your memories as best I could, but that doesn't mean I could return them to you fully." Bor said, taking a large swallow of ale and burping. "I cannot ring back what isn't there, and as with the castle I think you used those emotions more then any others. I'm sorry lass, but the damage is permanent, no amount of healing, from me, from any universe can bring back what doesn't exist."

Kara looked down, thinking about this fact, and sortig through what memories she could come up with. The ones that she could actually feel emotions about were generally happy, while the others only had a tiny spark. She knew what she was supposed to feel, she just couldn't, there wasn't life in the images, just pictures from anothers life.

"It's ok." She murmured. "Thank you for doing what you could Bor." She smiled at him, watching as the large beast before her nodded.

Jak watched all this quietly, munching his food as he thought about everything. He could feel the faint spark of hope in his belly, one which was fanned with every second that passed. Kara couldn't remember, and wouldn't remember from what Bor said, which meant that the Kara from the medical room was still here, the one which had told him that she would be willing to give them a chance.

Jak felt like whooping in joy, but knew that he had to play the whole thing carefully or he would blow it and lose her forever. Now obviously wasn't the time, but later...

Jak nodded to himself, vowing to speak with Fren on the matter but for now he had important questions to ask, and apparently the group had the answers.

After being told all there was about Bor's siblings, the cage and the game as well as every other thing that had happened since Jak had disappeared breakfast cad over and the day was just getting started.

"Alright." Bor said as he stood and shook himself, his mass rumbling as his large plates hit against one another. "You all are welcome to stay as long as you like as long as it's not more then three days total. You've been here for 12 hours, so there's that. Everything in this clearing is free for exploration, feel free to swim in the lake, sleep, whatever suits your fancy. There will be food on this table always, and if you don't see something you'd like you can ask my friend." Bor explained, holding out a hand as a bird about the size of a hummingbird from earth set down on his finger. "He'll be around the table all day, so all you have to do is ask him and he'll try and help you out. If you want to leave then just ask him to bring me and I'll open a way." Bor explained. "Sadly I have to actually do some duties today, so won't be able to be around to answer questions. Tonight perhaps, if you choose to stay. A word of warning before I leave though. Do not enter the forest under any circumstances. Nothing can hurt you within this clearing, but beyond is untamed wild. There are things that will try and lure you out, things that will do worse then eat you. Do not follow any sounds, sights or smells, your senses cannot be trusted when looking beyond this clearing." Bor said, his tone dark as he explained. When he had finished he nodded once then disappeared once more, leaving the group alone.

Jak looked down at his plate and drained his coffee cup as he waited. When the group began to move away from the table he waited until Fren was alone, at least partially, and went over to her. Alina was bouncing along behind her mother. "Alina?" Jak asked, kneeling down so that he was closer to his level. "May I speak to your mother alone? After I'm done maybe we can go play a game.

Alina considered this, then smiled happily as she spotted a nearby butterfly and tore off after it.

"Um Fren?" Jak asked awkwardly. "I need some help." He took a breath before continuing, rubbing his ear like always when nervous. "Um, I know you uh, don't like talking about this, especially after all that's happened, but I was wondering if maybe you'd um..." He paused, scratching his ear again. "If you'd help me with Kara." He seemed to be almost prepared for an explosion as he waited, tensed up as though expecting Fren to rip into him. "It's just, Bor said that she wouldn't ever remember anything else, and she said she might be interested earlier, so... Well I don't know how to go about it and you're a um... A woman, and I thought maybe you'd know how to go about it."

After they finished talking and Bor had laid down the info of the area he looked at everyone "We'll stay here until your all ready to resume braving the danger out in the castle. I don't know when the next time is when we'll find a safe zone to rest in." he said with a nod before idly snacking on food that showed up at his place setting. Slowly filling his large snake like stomach in prep for resuming.

Fren seemed to be in a better mood then normal and was playing 'catch the tail' with Alina when Jak came over. She paused and looked at him as he told Alina he needed to speak with her. She slightly tilted her head as Jak came over and said he needed her help which made her blink. She let him finish though noticed him tense up. she looked at the grass in thought "When a male wants to be with the female the female always looks for a few set things, reliability, the ability to defend her should the need arise, and intelligence. After all should her mate be unreliable how can she count on him to help her at all? If he's weak then he can't be relied on defend her which is, while maybe left unsaid, a genral rule, and intelligence, the male needs to be able to learn, show wisdom, when and when not to fight, able to help her in situations that may only involve..... cooking or just going out with her. Anyway those three things are normally left unspoken but they remain, you noticed when you lost your leg, while you did show strength, the intelligence and reliability was missing, and she was not impressed in the slightest." she explained "However while being settle showing those three things you can try to find what she likes, some like gifts, others closeness, others food, and many and much more. Kara takes well to settle and calm acts, not so much open and talking, noticed how I got her to open up on the day we first met her yet I hardly said a word at first to her. So we know we know you need to be settle, in time if she takes to you she'll pick up on what you like as well and in time, who knows." she finished off explaining looking at him.

Jak carefully considered what Fren said, his eyes narrowed as a frown crossed his face. "So what you're saying is take it slow." He said finally. "Alright, I think I can do that. Thanks Fren." He said, turning and running off down the hill with Alina hot on his heels.

Jak was gone most of the day, mostly playing with Alina, but also considering Fren's words. At one point he lent Kara the book from the library which seemed to make her happy, but he didn't say anything beyond a mumbled 'your welcome'.

By late afternoon Alina had tired out and was napping near the table while Jak sat underneath a large oak next to the lake. The oak was a good distance from the forest which Jak took to mean that it was ok to be around, so there he sat, his paws outstretched as he thought.

"How do you let a girl know you're interested if you're not supposed to rush her?" He asked aloud, digging one of his claws into a piece of wood that he had found on the ground.

"I'd try talking to her, makes things much easier." Kara's voice said from above him. Jak jumped a little and blushed immediately as Kara hung upside down from a branch above him, her midriff showing as her shirt fell around her.

"Well, it's not that simple." Jak said, trying to play it off as best he could. "She I'm, she likes things to be calm I guess."

"Hmm." Kara said, pretending to think, her red hair billowing beneath her as she tucked her shirt in so it wouldn't fall any further. "Well, maybe she likes calm things most of the time, but doesn't like to beat around the bush on others. Maybe you should just ask her if she's interested."

"I've tried that though, she shot me down once because she didn't like me as a person and because she was immortal, and the second time there were complications with her memory, although she did say that she wasn't adverse to it if she wasn't having those problems."

Kara nodded, pretending to think harder, which was made even funnier since she was trying to be serious while hanging from her knees.

"Well, that's tricky, but I still say you should ask her. I mean maybe the trouble is gone now and she consider it now. You never know till you ask." She said, smiling wide down at him.

"Oh, um... Well would you like to you know, have dinner or something?" He asked, suddenly unsure now that there wasn't a game going on.

"Oh I dunno." Kara said with a sigh. "I don't really know any good places do you?"

"I... I know this place that has every kind of food you could imagine." Jak stammered. "And there's this lake with a tree next to it, like the one you're in now actually, and the stars are beautiful." He said, the words coming easier now.

"Ooh, that sounds divine." Kara said, nodding knowingly. "Well I suppose I could make room. What time should I meet you and where? What shall I wear? I fear I'm completely unprepared for this date."

"Maybe an hour after sundown if that's ok?" Jak asked, unsure. "And I think the bird thing will he-help you with your clothing. Um, maybe formal?"

Kara laughed and finally swung down, landing on her feet and pulling Jak up onto his feet as well.

"I suppose I can do that, just don't be late. First impressions and all that." She smiled again and kissed him on the cheek before turning and walking off, opening the book as she went.

Jak meanwhile stood rooted to the spot until she disappeared on the other side of the hill before blinking and tearing off to the top and to Bor's bird friend. It took the rest of the day to organize but finally everything was ready by sunset. It was around that time that Bor reappeared and called everyone in for dinner except for Jak and Kara. He spoke to Kara first and gestured down the hill before turning to Jak and walking over.

"So, a little birdie tells me that you've been busy today." He said with a smile. "That's good, nothing like romance to warm an old heart. From what I hear the thing you've set up sounds perfect, and I'm sure she'll like it. Don't worry, I've put the finishing touches on it myself, and I'll keep the group occupied while you're away. Now, didja brush your fur? Wash it? All that stuff?" He asked, watching as Jak nodded. "Good, now then, let's get you dressed."

Just like that Jak was standing in a tuxedo designed for his race, although the pants were a bit strange looking he looked good. That being said he looked like nothing compared to Kara who wore a long red dress that accentuated her curves perfectly, and was trimmed with gold which matched her hair and eyes perfectly.

She stepped carefully down to Jak, ignoring the others at the table as he stared at her, his mouth open.

Bor pushed Jak's mouth closed then gave him a nudge in the right direction.

Without speaking Kara took Jak's arm and they walked down off of the hill and towards the tree in the distance, there steps lit by things that looked like fireflies. When they arrived the table was a miniature version of the one on the hill, with the table and chairs growing from the oak itself. The tree itself held tiny glowing lanterns with a crystal of some sort at its core, and these gave light to the table and everything on it.

Jak didn't really know what to say, so Kara made conversation to begin with, but once Jak got over the whole thing they were both laughing about jokes they made, stories they told, as well as talking about outside world. In particular Kara seemed intrested in the judge who would become Jak's father. After dinner the table and chairs disappeared, the lanterns dimmed, and the two went out to lay beneath the stars, talking quietly about the places that had to be out there.

"I had a good time Jak." Kara said looking over at Jak, her voice low. "I'm glad that tree girl gave you good advice."

"Me too." Jak said, looking at her. Then beneath the start sky they were kissing, and everything was good in the castle.

(a few minutes after Jak and Kara left.)

"Can you see anything mommy?" Alina asked, standing on her hind legs on the table in an attempt to see what was happening. "I can't! Please can I go say hi?"

"Hush little one." Bor said quietly. "Jak and Kara are having a good time I'm sure, but little dragons don't need to be involved, so don't invade their privacy unless they decide to tell you about it ok?" He said before taking a long drink from his stein and smiling at Varren. "So, what kind of questions you got for me today?"

Fren gently picked Alina up and set her back down on her 4 paws "Its not polight to try to spy on others when they are having a moment alone." she said gently. Looks like Jak and Kara got together, not that it was hard to miss. Right from day one she knew Jak was not going to let Kara slip away from him. She just hoped he'd display more restrain with Kara then he did when he first met Nuria. Last thing they needed was Kara pregnet or hauling an egg around this castle. A nagging feeling in the back of her mind reminded her of her peoples drive, but to allow that she'd need her own, which lead to the though of wondering when she'd find her own partner.

Varren smiled a bit and nodded "For the most part one question comes to mind Bor, you promised a week of leaving us alone after we leave this location to resume our trials through the castle, unless we summon you with this horn, what exactly does that entail though? If I summon you what are you allowed to do? After a week, whats your plans then?" he asked knowing full well about how unlikely such a question as his second one was to getting a answer.

(Beyond the kiss nothing else happens, just a notice so when thy come back Fren doesn't smell something.)

Alina slumped unhappily as she was told off by Fren, her face a frown but her eyes continuing to flick in the direction of the tree. "But mommy it's Kara and fuzzy!" She said finally. "And it's so romantic! Fuzzy told me about his plans and it sounds so pretty, and Kara was so beautiful! Why can't I look? Please?" She went on like this until chastised loudly enough to get the point across. After that she sat on the table, obviously upset, like any child that had ever been told no.

"Well, that depends on what yah want me to do." Bor said, ignoring Alina's pleas even if he did smile knowingly. "I have the powers of earth and rock, plus the ability to gift things much like Nuria did. I can make deals as well, although I'm more likely to give you a better deal then she is. As for the week thing, well I did that more to get you at ease so I could get you to talk to me. You weren't the most trusting lot when I met you, and for good reason too!" He laughed. "Anyway, I'll help yah as best I can, but like I said, there are restrictions."

Bor looked up suddenly and smiled as Kara and Jak returned, both dressed normally again, holding hands, although they quickly dropped them when they arrived. In all the two had been gone perhaps two hours, and both were the better for it.

"Hello you two love birds." He said slyly as Alina bounced over to them both. "How was your night?

"Um, it was nice." Kara said, her face flushing a little. "It was really nice. Thanks." Jak merely nodded along with this, seeming to be in a kind of shock after the whole thing.

Kara noticed this and smiled, giving him a kiss on the cheek before wishing the others good night.

Jak watched her go off to bed, then wandered over to the table and sat down in the chair next to Bor's.

"Seems to have gone well lad." Bor said with a knowing smile. "Yeh may have only kissed but it's more real then anything you or my sister did, so here, have a small one."

A large cup was pushed into Jak's hands, and after sniffing it Jak drank deep. There wasn't much more then a soda cans worth of ale inside, but the liquid was amazing enough that Jak drank it all in one go. The liquid tasted rich and sweet, like honey and cherries mixed into one delicious drink. When Jak reached for some more Bor's hand caught Jak's arm as the giant man shook his head. "No more for you lad. What you had will give you a good evening with no repercussions, anything more you won't remember and you'll regret all tomorrow." He said, filling his own tankard before moving the pitcher away from Jak. "Plus you're underage where you come from."