Ryujin13

Little lost dragon and I

((how would it know the nano's are beneficial though? The nano's arn't even from the same universe as Varren and thus a very forin object in his blood))

Fren came over and and narrowed her eye's before turning around. She grabbed a needle and gave it to Jak "hold this for a moment." she said before her armor covered her completely again and she went to the furthest corner of the room after grabbing a container. She placed it on the floor then fired a acid slug into it. "Don't worry about me, the armor can hold." she said coming over "Jak have the needles container under this vial." she ordered. By now it was plain as day what she was going to do. Melt a small hole in the vial containing the nano's and inject them into Varrens body.

Jak did as commanded and soon had the vial in question positioned as Fren said and watched as the silver liquid seeped into the needle. As soon as it was done and the nano's injected the hologram began to change again, the black bacteria disappearng once more so that only red remained.

Fren and Jak had to repeat the process a couple more times until all the venom was gone, allowing them to unhook the machine and inject the nanobots once more into Varren so they wouldn't get sorted out.

With that done the hologram above Varren disappeared as he returned to normal.

"He should be fine now." Jak said, sitting on a bed and watching Varren closely. "At least his blood should be, I don't know about the rest of him."

Kara meanwhile had finally begun to warm up, and after another hour or two was almost back to normal levels. Her eyes finally opened a tiny bit as they adjusted to the light, and she groaned.

"What happened?" She managed, her voice tiny and her words disjointed as though she was having trouble putting them together. "Who are you?"

"I'm Jak, and we're in a medical room in the castle. We were attacked and you used your power to destroy some of the attackers." Jak said, slightly confused by the question. "Um, are you ok Kara?"

Kara was shaking her head at this, her eyes scrunched shut as she tried to remember.

"I don't remember anything about any of you." She said finally, looking around at varren, Fren, Alina and Jak. "I know I should know your faces, but I don't know you at all."

Jak's frown deepened as he looked at Fren, but Kara was already sitting up, forcing Alina to move to the bottom of the bed.

"Ok, so do you know who you are?" Jak asked finally, unsure what was happening.

"Vaguely, I would assume that I'm named Kara, so that's a start, and I know some basic things about myself, like this isn't my true form, but not much in the way of memories."

Jak frowned again, trying to decide how to go about this.

"You seem very... Calm about all this." He said finally, deciding that questioning her to deeply might make her emotional which could end up with the group dead in Kara's current state.

Kara shrugged a little, much more relaxed then Jak had ever seen her, and absently scratched Alina's favorite spot.

"I don't know if I've ever discussed it with any of you, but magic is energy directed by will. I assume that since I used mine in self defense I probably had to use a great deal of willpower. So I focused on something very hard, and expended a great deal of energy, so now everything's all wonky while I recharge and stuff. I'll lose some of my memory, but I'm sure most of it will come back."

Jak blinked, looking at Fren again, then back at Kara.

"That would um, bother most people." He said finally, still treading carefully around this topic.

"It doesn't matter, so I lose a few odd memories here and there. The big important ones will still be there. So like my friends, family, that sort of thing." She turned and hung her legs over the side now and wiggled her toes, watching them in a fascinated sort of way before finally shrugging and looking back at Jak. "So what are your names? I guess I'm Kara and you're?"

"I'm Jak, and that's Alina, Fren, and Varren." He explained.

"Huh, ok well hi all, nice to meet you." Kara said kindly. "So is he ok? He seems rather worse do wear." She commented, pointing to Varren.

Fren sighed once Varren seemed to stabilize and then it came to the waiting. However he was not waking though the monitor was showing a heart beat again. That much was good seemed his basic functions where working again. She remained where she was as her armor rid its self of the acids affect then Kara woke and seemed to be working off a clean slate.

She watched Jak and her exchange words though Kara did not remember much though did remember Alina's favorite spot for scratching. She nodded and looked at Varren "He was hit in the same fight you past out in, we've only just recently made his blood well again but it could be a bit as his body fixes the damages the poison did in its stay." she explained "I don't know what all you do remember Kara but I'll give you the basics for now." she said coming over her suit in the clear now. "We are trapped in a castle like place that is far beyond anything any of us have seen. Our goals are to locate the control room and or exit. As well you and Varren are free of it Jak Alina and I are caught in a small.... fight like situation between 2 powerful beings. One gave Jak some skills in return he does nine jobs for her. Alina we don't know entire what they have planned for and for me they tied me into the mix with threatening my well being if I don't take Jak under my wing. However before he mentions anything," she said looking at him at the ending part "He has been improving since then which I am glad to see." she said with a nod. "Once Varrens up I have the feeling we'll be kicked out of here, its not a resting spot its a medical. And the castle has a thing about not liking beings not running around like lab rats unless in a safe room."

"Oh, well none of this sounds very pleasant." Kara said jokingly. "So we're looking for an exit and the control room that sounds like the best way to go about it."

She suddenly shivered and drew her blankets up around herself so that she could huddle beneath them.

"Why is it so cold?" She asked Jak, who was still standing near her bed.

"Um, well it's not, you just used your fire to much, at least that's my best guess. Um you remember you're a Phoenix right?" He asked, suddenly wondering.

"Hmm, no that doesn't mean anything to me." Kara said, still scratching Alina who was already falling asleep. "What is a Phoenix then?"

"Uh, well where I'm from they're mythical birds that control fire, are bright red and their tears can heal any wound. You've pretty well proven that the myths are true, so I guess there's that."

"Well that does explain why I'm so cold I suppose, especially if I used all my fire." Kara said, pausing for a couple more moments to consider this before shrugging and pulling the blankets tighter around herself.

"So Alina." She said with a smile as the hatchling looked up. "Were we friends, or just traveling partners?"

"We were friends!" Alina said immediately. "You're nice and always do nice things for me. But you're always so..." She stopped, trying to formulate the words as best she could. "You're always so upset. You don't smile very often, and you almost never laugh."

"Well that's no good." Kara said, smiling and tickling Alina. "When I get better I'll try and be better about that."

Alina would have hugged Kara but she was to busy giggling from Kara tickling her.

"How long do you think it'll be before he wake up?" Kara asked as she stopped tickling. "And where do we go next?"

Fren shrugged as Kara joked. She watched the group converse with each other and looked at Varren as his scales returned to there normal hue. "I don't know, I'm not a bihen, or doctor or medic, I know a few basics and for all I know he could be up in a few moments or out for months. His brain was right where the poisons entered his body, it will be a miracle if he wakes and remembers everything." she explained "I have his mind backed up, but restoring it this way is too risky to try on a biological body." she explained before she sat down then looked at Kara "I don't know if you remember our talk Kara, but in that fight, you displayed control very well. had you not you would have killed us all, but you did not. I want you to know I'm proud to see that." she said with a smile.

Kara cocked her head slightly as Fren congratulated her on her control.

"Oh, um well thank you I suppose." She said, slightly confused. "I take it I had problems with control? I wonder why." She considered this for a little bit before shrugging again. "Well, I don't think I was to succesful on control, maybe partially at least, because I doubt I meant to use all my fire and forget everything. Unless I knew that would happen?" She shook her head, knowing that question just led to circular logic and wouldn't ever get answered.

"So, Jak right?" She asked, smiling at Jak who had been reading the book once more. "Were we friends or just companions?"

Jak's face immediately heated up although one couldn't tell through the fur, and he made a show of closing the book before answering.

"I um... Well, we sort of had a complicated relationship." He said finally.

"Ooh, was it romantic? Were we together? Maybe you're my ex or something?"

Jak was already shaking his head as Kara asked her questions, making it obvious that she was incorrect.

"No, nothing like that, you and I sort of had a rocky relationship where you moved from disliking me to tolerating me, and sometimes even liking me as a friend. But it generally hung between dislike and tolerating."

"Oh, well why didn't I like you?" She asked, cocking her head quizzically.

"Um, well I didn't communicate well when we first met, and I've made some bad choices that made you dislike me more."

"Like what?" She asked, prodding for more information.

"Like that deal that Fren told you about? I sort of did that to help impress you. I also lost my leg because I was trying to impress you."

"Oh." Was all Kara said as she considered this new information. "Well, what you did does sound stupid." She said finally, causing Jak's expression to go from neutral to shame in moments. "But, it is sweet that you did that just for me, in a weird kind of way. Anyway I don't know why I didn't try a relationship with you, you seem nice and you're rather cute." She said with a smile.

"Oh um, well phoenixes are immortal, they live for a long time, then when they die they turn into an egg and are born again." He explained.

"Ohh, that makes more sense." Kara said, nodding now. "Still, I wonder why I wouldn't give it a try, seems odd, and very lonely to me."

Fren looked at her then watched her and Jak talk and with held a sigh. Seemed she had lost most of her character. She went from deeming Jak a unsuitable person for her in relations to asking her self why she did not go with the one who did some pretty stupid moves.

Now that she seemed to have reset, she did not seem to really care about what happened before, even though Jak had only just started to learn. "Kara, I would recommend you hold off on relationships for a while. Jak has some progress to make still which he's started to make, and you need to wait till you recover your memory. Once you've recovered at least a good portion of it, or enough times gone by, by then, if Jak sticks to his promise, you both will be in a ideal state of mind for a relationship." she explained

The drone that had remained hovering this entire time lowered its self till it landed on the floor before it beeped a few times and seemed to shut down for now.

"Oh I'm not going to." Kara said with a smile. "I may not remember anything but that doesn't mean I'm dumb. It'll be interesting to see what I end up remembering when all is said and done." She said with a smile before turning back to Jak. "I know that isn't what you want to hear, but Fren is right, getting involved right now would very likely end badly. If for whatever reason I started disliking you again, then you have effectively forced yourself onto a girl with amnesia."

"But you would have said yes." Jak said quickly.

"But if I don't remember my personality, my friendships, anything about my life beyond the last few hours, then the old me hasn't said yes to anything, just this new me who doesn't remember things. I'm sorry Jak but we'll have to wait awhile, see what comes back. If it all works out, then I will definitely give you a chance, I promise." She explained patiently before hugging Jak and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Yeah ok." Jak mumbled in response, turning and walking over to a bed near the door where he drew his sword and began to clean it with a cloth and oil from his bag. He knew she was right in all cases, but he also knew she would go back to hating him as well, making things to right back to normal. That was the part he hated most, that this Kara, this brand new take on Kara would at least give him a chance, but now that she did it was likely that she was going to disappear just as quick. The whole thing was maddening, and Jak found himself wishing that Kara wouldn't ever get her memory back, even though he knew it was a terrible thing to want.

Fren nodded and smiled a bit but that vanished right away as Jak tried to justify it by saying she would have said yes. And by saying that, displayed behaver she disliked seeing a lot. She got up as Jak cleaned his sword and went over to him "A worthy male would never think to take advantage of the females state Jak. Unless its in the wild, its beyond disrespectful to think such." she said sternly not knowing about his thoughts of Kara never getting her memory back but what he had said.

Before she could say more Varren groaned and sat up a little before laying back down holding his head "How many times..... must I cheat death?" he asked him self remembering the moments before he passed out. He opened his eye's slowly but closed them right away as the light hurt. "Why does it feel like my brain is about to explode?"

Jak looked up at Fren's approach, then listened quietly as she told him off for what he had said. .

"I wasn't going to take advantage of her Fren." He said quietly, rubbing away some of the grime that coated the sword now. "I just wanted to hear the truth. Kara is special Fren, at least to me. I've never met or even seen a girl like her before, and she won't give me the time of day. Now that she will she admits she's interested, and I know I can't do anything. It just hurts to know that a version of her exists where she would consider giving me a chance, and then it hurts worse that she will disappear just as quickly. It's like being given a present that you've always wanted, and then having it taken away just as quickly. And now I can't even hope that she'll continue to show interest because then she would be losing her memories forever. Its just... I dunno, it just sucks is all." He explained before going back to his blade.

When Varren woke up Kara picked up Alina and walked over, carefully placing the hatchling beside him.

"You had a big stinger in you're head Varren." Alina said, going up so that she was close to him. "The scary things ran away though, so mommy brought us here by following the flying thing. Kara doesn't remember anything either, it's really weird."

Fren sighed and knelt down so she was closer to his height "Jak your acting like she's a programmed robot, things change, in this case yes when she recovers she'll become much harder to be with for you, that's a result of your own actions though and something you need to come to terms with and work with. You promised a change back in that area with Medad and while what he said.... has not happened with the ring, you still promised and if you keep that, you might still win her over, however it won't happen the easy way alright?" she explained "Consider this a possible peek into the future, you still might be with her, once you've shown her with wisdom of your actions, that means not showing off or doing stupid things, she might reconsider. And that means a new chance." she said with a nod. She won't let him have the easy rought, but she was trying to be of some help.

Varren paused at this "Odd....... how'd Kara lose her memory? I felt heat behind me in the fight but I did not have time to check if she was alright." he admitted before sighing "Well.... at least the defence worked for the most part....." he commented not opening his eye's

"I know I can change her opinion of me Fren, I just don't think I can change her opinion of being with a mortal. She's already said that she wouldn't even consider it, and somehow I think that is set in stone. I can't even blame her for that opinion, even if I wish it were different. But I did mean what I said to her, I would be happy to age and die if I knew I had made a positive impact on her life. Doesn't matter though, she's this perfect, beautiful girl, who is smart, and caring, even if she is a little to serious sometimes, and I'm this screw up who can't pull his head out of his ass long enough to make a decent impression. I been on a few dates before, but I've never felt this way about anyone before, and of course she's beyond my reach." Jak said before snorting and shaking his head as he sheathed his sword and stood up.. "God I sound like an idiot. I'm sorry Fren, I shouldn't have said anything, this isn't something you needed to listen to. Hell I should be shouting sorry at you. You've had to put up with me since day one, and listened to me shout at you, whine and moan at you, cry about how much my life sucked, and everything else. I'm just..." He shook his head and looked down, tying to form the words. "I'm sorry Fren, I really am, for everything, especially getting you caught in the middle of the Medad thing. I shouldn't have let that happen, but it did, and I'm sorry I didn't stop it." He said quietly.

Alina crawled up and into the crook of Varren's arm where she snuggled in close to Varren and laid her head down to stare up at him with her yellow eyes. "Kara says that magic is energy, and since she has trouble controlling her power she used to much energy, which is why she's so cold, because her fires out. And now she can't remember, or something like that." Alina explained, looking up at Kara who shrugged a little.

"That's the gist if it." Kara said, going back to her bed where she pulled every blanket within reach over herself. She was still freezing, her hands were shaking and her teeth were almost chattering, even though the room was kept at a nice 70 degrees or so.

Fren stood up again her arms folded across her breasts as she regarded him. She did not interrupt him or anything. First he was going on about how Kara won't consider him because he is a mortal, then he was more or less saying sorry for just about everything he had ever said to her. Which was a little bit of a suprize to her honestly. She looked at him, her kinds maternal instict trying to kick into gear a bit here. Before her sat a sorry depressed child.

She sighed before picking Jak up and hugged him. She did not want to hug him, but he needed it. "I know you deem me a cold uncaring person Jak, however that is only there do to my work, inside I do care though, if I did not I would not have gotten after you or scolded you or anything." she said softly "I accept your apology Jak, now you just need to back it up with your actions. However one does need to vent at times. So make sure you find someone for that alright?" she said before setting him back down.

Varren gently snuggled Alina as she explained how Kara lost her memory and nodded "I may have become mates with a magical being but understanding the magical part, not enough time." he said before noticing Fren hugging Jak he went quiet and nodded for Alina to look.

Jak hadn't expected much from Fren overall, in truth he had expected more of the same thing from Fren, more advice about trying to be better, try to win her over by showing that he was worthy and the like. What he hadn't expected was a hug, or forgiveness or anything else from Fren, especially after he had treated we so badly, called her names, even threatened her.

Carefully he hugged her back, uncaring that his fur was getting slime in it. He really did appreciate the gesture, but could also tell that Fren didn't really want to just by how stiff she was. So when she set him back down he quickly let go, and carefully wiped some of the slime off of his fur.

"Thanks Fren, for you know, listening and stuff." He said quietly, unsure what else to say. "I appreciate it."

Alina looked over where Varren gestured and a big smile came to her face as she saw Fren and Jak hugging. She didn't say anything to them but did turn back to Varren, her big grin still in place. "Yay! Mommy and fuzzy are friends." She whispered excitedly. "Now everyone's friends again!" She said as she bounced up and down on the bed next to Varren, her excitement spilling out into physical action.

Kara smiled at the hatchlings antics from her bed where she huddled under her blankets. Only the top of her head and her eyes could be seen from the heap, and still she was cold. In truth she probably would have worn a parka if she could have, as well as a coat under that and at least three pairs of cold weather pants if she had them and somehow managed to fit it all on. She didn't have that though, so she made due with her nest and huddled inside, occasionally shivering. She was getting warmer, but it was very slow going, especially since she had nothing to eat to replenish her energy.

Fren nodded "We might of not gotten along and may not still, but not getting along is only just that, I still listen and care Jak." she said with a nod before smiling a bit looking in Alina's direction as the hatchling though Fren would not hear her whispering. She looked at Kara and looked at Jak "I must go help with something now." she said before heading over to Kara pausing by the bed she was in "My kind are naturally very warm due to our natural insulator, if you'll allow me I can help you warm up." she offered. Kara still looked as cold as ever.

Varren smiled as the hatchling grew happy and excited and chuckled. But frowned as the Drone suddenly sprung into life again by the door and it opened its weapon racks. Did something spook it or did something show up?

((Opening for you guys smile.gif if ya needed/wanted one))

(Who are we talking about? I'll assume it's my characters.)

Jak smiled a little as well and nodded. "I would rather get along." He said quietly. "I don't like being angry, I was angry for a long time and I don't like being that way." As she walked away Jak considered the whole thing before looking down at himself. Though it wasn't globed on he was still covered in slime, so with a sigh Jak picked up the blanket and began to use it to clean himself.

Kara looked up as Fren moved to her side, then nodded as the Shatong offered to help her warm up.

Kara let Fren get into her pile of blankets, then huddled against her, curled up as close as possible. It was true that Kara was very cold, much colder then any human could ever be without dying, but she was slowly warming up again, and the process was speeding up as the minutes went on, especially with Fren helping. Still, she was a long way from her normal temperature, and much like a blacksmiths fire it was taking a long time to heat up to the proper temperature.

Alina meanwhile had discovered that the mattress was quite springy and was currently using it as a trampoline next to Varren, springing up and down. She was getting the hang of it enough that she was getting a few feet above her starting point, and the whole time she was giggling until she was breathless. Suddenly her wings snapped open and she screeched as she glided far enough to go over the side of the bed. Just as quick they crumpled and she fell to the ground in a heap where she began to cry for Fren, more frightened then hurt.

Before Fren could even move to pick her up though a phantom wind came to the room, and even as it blew a woman appeared beside Alina. The woman was thin, with head of long shining white hair, though her body was one of youth and beauty. Her face and body spoke of one of the orient, but she was also different enough that she came off as something more different then any human the group had ever seen. Her eyes were grey and she wore a kimono of pale blue which was as smooth as spider silk. The woman bent and gently lifted Alina, who couldn't do anything but look up in wonder.

"You are to young to fly yet little one." The woman said, her voice as gentle as any mothers. "I do not want you to be hurt, no one does." She said before handing Alina to Fren and stepping back a few paces.

Jak had already stood and brought his sword to bear on the woman, it's tip unwavering as he leveled it on her. "Who are you? What do you want?" He growled, trying and succeeding in appearing strong for this newcomer..

"My name is Canace." She said quietly, giving a small bow to the group. Her accent was extremely foreign, obviously one from the Far East, probably Japan or China. "I am sister to Medad and Nuria." She nodded quietly at the look of hostility that Jak immediately got on his face, and stepped further back. "I felt it was time to reveal myself to you all. I have heard things from my brother and my sister, and most of you bear their marks one way or the other." She said, looking at Jak who was the only one who bore Nuria's mark. "I am very sorry you have become mixed up in our families games, I don't know why they do this to mortals, especially when it so easily damages them. Like it or not though, you are involved in them, and I do not think it will be long before the last member of our family visits. Be careful, the forest has deep roots, and many ways to sustain life and take it." She said before disappearing in another gust of wind.

Jak swore loudly the moment she was gone and sheathed his sword, kicking the bed angrily as he walked back to his own.

"Damnit! Why the hell don't they just leave us alone?" He asked, swearing yet again as he began to clean his fur once more. "Why can't they take their little fight and go on that game show family feud or something? God it's like being caught in the middle of a gang war!" He continued to curse as he continued to clean until finally he jwas ust muttering angrily to himself.

Edited by Ryujin13

Fren curled up around Kara tail and body to warm her up. She was colder then a dead human though but she was slowly gaining warmth. Fren had heard Jak and given him a nod.

She watched Alina bounce on the bed as did Varren then suddenly her wings snapped open and she had her first glide. But just as fast her wings crumpled and Alina was on the floor. Fren was already almost there when the new being showed up. Instantly Fren had her weapon in hand and aimed. She took Alina when the hatchling was handed to her but she remained tense and ready. But shortly afterwards the woman was gone. And he leaving words did not sound good.

She looked at Jak "Jak swearing is not going to help anything." she stated before looking at Varren who was now slowly getting up "I beleive we have our next hint and location. Kara and I may not be stuck in this...... conflict but Fren Jak and Alina are. And I get the feeling none of you can leave this castle till we are free of there...... binds." he explained slowly getting to his coils before putting a hand on his head "I just..... might be slow for a bit." he admitted.

Fren sighed and looked at the others putting her weapon away "Kara? would you like to be carried or do you think your warm enough to survive?" she asked holding Alina close. Why did these being want Alina to be friendly? They sure as heck did not seem to give a dam about the rest of the group, Alina was being used that much she knew.

Jak walked to the door when Fren chastised him about swearing and opened it a crack to check outside before he bent fully out and looked both ways.

"It's clear." He said, pulling his head back through the door and looking at the group. "I say we move, maybe it will keep them from finding us as easy." He suggested.

"I can walk, it might help to warm me up." Kara said, her faced scrunching up before she sneezed loudly into her hand. Her nose was starting to drip as well, and from a human standpoint she looked like she was getting a bad cold.

"Do phoenixes really get colds from being to cold?" Jak asked as Kara stood, still wrapped tight in as many blankets as she could hold.

"I suppose it makes sense." Kara said, wiping her nose with her arm. "At least I think it does, humans get colds from getting catching a virus right? Well they catch a virus because their immune systems down, sometimes from getting to cold. Why not phoenixes?"

Jak smiled a little at this and nodded. "Looks like your memory is already coming back." He said, still smiling, although on the inside he was hurting. She was already going back to normal, and that meant she was one step closer to hating him again.

Kara smiled as well before following the group, sneezing now and then followed by wiping her nose.

Alina continued to snuffle in Fren's arms, her crying turning to hiccups, before she was finally back to normal. Now that her fright was over though she was curious once more about this new woman, and more importantly, what had happened before that.

"Mommy? Why did that thing happen?" She asked. "When I fell. I was bouncing and then I felt something weird, and then I hit the ground. What was that? Also, who's that lady? She mentioned Medad and that mean lady who says she's Medad's sister, Nuria. Well who's the new lady? Medad never mentioned family when I was with him."

Varren nodded and left the room as well. Though his pace was slower then normal. "True, and with you from a human world Jak your bound to have some bugs on you, they might not affect you but you can help carry them with out knowing it." he explained "With Kara in human form, the same viruses perhaps show up in her when her heats down." he explained with a shrug as he watch the drone fly ahead but kept with in sight.

Fren followed the group and thought on Alina's question "There was a gust of wind suddenly, that most likely caught your wings causing you to glide for a moment then you fell. As for who the lady was, she was the source of that gust of wind, as for who she is.... none of us know, she seemed to pity us who where caught in the whole thing, but Medad also displayed seemingly friendly feelings as well. Until we know whats going on..... its hard to trust them, there toying with us." she concluded.

"The wind caught these?" Alina asked, sitting up and grasping one of her wings. "I didn't know they did anything."

Alina sat and pondered for a second, then smiled and bounced a little. "I can fly can't I?" She asked excitedly. "I want to fly mommy! Please can I fly now?"

Kara who was walking along beside Fren and Alina smiled over at the hatchling as she pleaded with Fren. "That lady says you're to young to fly yet." Kara said gently. "But if you start working out your wings I bet you can fly soon enough. Maybe if I remember by then I can teach you to fly, alright?"

Alina seemed rather put out by this, but smiled at the offer to teach her when she was older. After that she spent a long time trying to make her wings work, straining to make them stretch even a little. At the moment though it seemed as if she had a lot of growing before the muscles would be properly formed to do much of anything beyond flutter the appendages.

Jak meanwhile walked behind the group, keeping lookout for threats from the rear.

A rumbling sound suddenly came to everyone's ears followed quickly by the ground shaking. Suddenly a perfect square in the center of the floor sank down before rising again with a man standing on it.

The man was easily the largest Jak had ever seen, standing at over 6'7" he was a monster, with shoulders at least half as wide. His hide was tanned from years of labor in the sun and he was muscled to the point where it looked like you could break a sword on him.

The man seemed to survey the group from under the wolfs head that served as his cowl, and when his green eyes had circulated he laughed and stepped away from where he had entered the hallway.

Jak had his sword on the man in an instant and was waiting to use it although he wasn't sure if it would even work on one of the four siblings that kept visiting the group.

"Well here yeh all are." The man said, his accent obviously modeled on an Irish one. "Been hearin' some good things about you all, and some not so good things from one o' my sisters." He said, his smile wide as he laughed again.

"So let's see ere, we got Varren, Fren, Kara, Alina, and Nuria's favorite Jak." He said, moving towards Jak. "I can see why she likes yeh, you got the makings of a powerful man Jak. Courage, thats what it comes down to. Courage in the face of adversity." The man turned and looked at the group and shook his head. "You all ave' been treatin him like censorkip.gif after Nuria's little deal. I tell yeh something interesting though, she gives only what's asked for. Let's see, she gave you strength, speed, and skill with a weapon yes?" He asked Jak, who merely nodded. "Aye, she gave him those things but she didn't give him courage to use those abilities. Keep that in mind, he's heen standing with yeh all in the face of fear and he hasn't wavered once. Now then, I believe you just met my sister Canace? Good lass if a bit detached from things. Well now you've met the family, why don't we have a talk yeah? Just you lot an' me, none of the siblings. We can talk an you all can have a good meal yeah?" He asked, pausing only when Jak shook his head.

"Last time we dined with Medad things didn't turn out so well for anyone and we lost a week of our lives. Why should we expect any different?" He asked. "We don't even know who you are." He said, still holding the sword at the ready.

"No yeh don't. But if you put that little pig sticker away I might just tell yeh."

Jak looked at Varren and Fren briefly before finally sheathing the sword and crossing his arms.

"Ah, there's a good lad, now, my name is Bor, and I offer you two things, food, ale, and a safe place to sleep for one night. As well as some answers to your questions." Bor explained.

"What's to keep you from screwing one of us over again?" Jak asked, arms still crossed.

Bor turned to face him, his eyes flashing red as he leaned down close. "Listen close lad, you've only met my siblings which excuses this one question, but know this, I do not play games. I will tell you what is going to happen, and when it's going to happen. Don't question my honor again." He growled before straightening.

"For the purpose of this visit however it is of course good to ere on the side of caution. So, I swear this oath;

By the sun, the moon, and the stars that wheel overhead,

By the spirits of those that dance between shadows,

And by the power that I wield,

I Bor, do hereby give my word of words that neither Alina, Fren, Varren, Kara or Jak shall come to any harm while within my care. They shall be given my full protection, be warned of any binding words they may agree to, and given as much food, water and bedding as they can use for 24 hours. After 24 hours they shall be allowed to leave unmolested, and will be left alone by myself for at least another 24 hours or until called." He recited before smiling once more and snapping his fingers.

Instantly one of the doors along the hall opened and sunlight shone through, revealing a clearing amid deep woods. A stone path led to the top of a small hill at the center of the clearing. A waterfall fell into a pool nearby with steam rising from the pool at the bottom.

"I would be grateful if yeh all would join me, but it's your choice o' course."

Edited by Ryujin13

Fren smiled as Alina asked about flight and Kara answered before she could. "Kara's right Alina, but once your wings are strong enough we'll teach you how to fly." she said.

However when the man showed up Fren was getting annoyed by this now. Not only that but yet more favor towards Jak was displayed and apparently the whole group was treating him like censorkip.gif, this was getting old now. "Courage is good to have I'd admit, but blind courage is foolish when one needs to try to survive. We do not want to reward actions that where not needed nor safe even for him." she stated "He won't improve with encouragement to do the wrong thing."

Varren held his weapon in his hands and frankly looked bored as Bor told them the group was treating Jak like censorkip.gif. More of the same song and dance that Medad and his sister gave in a different personality. He listened to Bor's oath but something about it bothered him. He signaled the group to stay put for now "Could you explain your last line of your oath there?" he asked "Excuse the caution but we've had plenty of trouble already from your sibling. One of them also gave us shelter and water but bound Jak and apparently Fren when the rest of us where not watching." he explained.

The drone flew back over weapon racks open and hovered there watching Bor.

((Talk about more favor towards Jak lol...))

(Sort of kinda, Jak's much wilder then most when it comes to decisions as we've seen, and I think that makes him more susceptible to deals and the like. Bor likes him because he thinks that Jak has a warriors spirit, not because he really wants anything. Sorry if I come off as favoring Jak to much, I try not to but he's such a fun character. smile.gif )

Bor looked back at Varren the chortled again at the question.

"Varren, yeh always was one to ere on the side o' caution. That's good saves lives, protects your friends and family. What I meant by that oath was that you can stay with me for 24 hours, an after that you are free teh go. Then, fer 24 hours afterwards, I would leave yeh all alone, safe and sound unless you called upon me for help or anything else. Cour' now that I think about it, 24 hours does seem a little low, I could be like Nuria after all. So how's this instead, I won't bother any of yeh for a week after you've left my lovely home, unless you sound this horn." He said, handing over a large rams horn, filigreed with gold and etched with pictures of unknown animals on it to Varren.

A burst of flame a few feet behind Jak heralded Nuria's arrival as everyone turned towards her.

She immediately struck a pose that exposed a great deal of thigh before slinking over to Jak. She kissed him gently, but Jak pushed her away before it lasted more then a second. Then she put her arms around him and looked at the others.

"Hello sister." Bor said in an unconcerned manner. "What can I do for yeh?"

"Well brother, I would like you to stop messing with my little champion. He's marked for me after all, and he still has eight things to do for little me. Speaking of, I have a little job for you Jak, and it doesn't involve taking a vacation with Bor here."

"But..." Jak said, but was quickly shushed by Nuria.

"Nope, remember our deal. I'll have you back in time for when your little group leaves my brothers place, but until then you're mine." She said, kissing him again as they both disappeared in a burst of flame.

"Why didn't you stop her?" Kara asked as she rounded on Bor. "You said you would protect Jak."

"Aye, I said my siblings wouldn't be able ta' reach us while we were in my home. Unfortunately we weren't in me home. She owns him, and I can't interfere outside my home." He explained.

Varren took the horn and sighed and nodded to the group just as Nuria poofed in. He frowned and aimed "Get away from him now....." he watched the flames go out and lowered it before looking Bor "We'll take you up on your offer, but first order of buisness is to figure out how to make your siblings leave the group alone. Medad and one other seems to be trying to keep Alina's favor while getting Fren tied into this whole thing, If Kara or I get bound into this fiasco with your family I'll be putting shots up the next one I see." he said not looking happy.

Fren nodded as she held Alina. She paused by the door way before stepping into the room. Bor was promising safety, at least that's what it seemed. Medad seemed safe as well though. Now these beings where starting to take the group away, Starting with Jak. Figures they seem to want to turn him into more of a fool then he started off as. This must be what its like to have supposed gods messing around with you.

Bor led the way into the room, closing the door behind him as everyone entered. The door vanished the instant it was closed, leaving only the endless woods to be seen around the clearing. Then off they went up the stone path toward the top of the hill.

Great stones, weathered by time lay or stood haphazardly around the top (think Stonehenge), while a huge , perfectly circular stone sat in the ground at the center. Hundreds of lines ran through the stone, as well as writing and who knew what else, all etched at precise angles to one another. A single ruby was set into the stone a few feet from the center, lines surrounding it as though trying to imprison it. To one side sat a simple wooden table filled with food and surrounded by chairs enough for Bor and the group, helpfully shaded from the sun by one of the stones. One chair was left outside of the shadow though, and Bor pulled it out and gestured to Kara.

"I figure you need the sun." He said with a smile as Kara sat down, mumbling a thanks to the huge man.

The food present was simple enough, but smelled and looked delicious. There was venison, turkey, duck, honeyed bread, mushrooms, and a dozen other things beside.

Bor sat patiently until everyone had food before filling his own plate.

"Alright then, I believe you were wanting to know how teh keep my brother an sisters away from yeh." He said as he bit into a leg of the turkey. He chewed thoughtfully for a moment, then shook his head took a drink of beer.

"The problem is, I can only say so much. More then even Nuria yeh understand, but not by much. I can tell yeh for instance that you are embroiled in a conflict that's quickly reachin' a burstin' point. The red cage is falling, an it won't be long before someone takes ahold of it." Bor continued, pointing towards the great ruby set into the circular stone.

"What's the red cage?" Kara asked as she bit into a loaf of the wonderful bread.

"I canno' answer that lass, nor even speak of it further." Bor said quickly. "Neither can I fully explain the conflict. But you stand in a forest, and all siblings are present. The castle is the board, an anyone who's ever visited tha' place has become a piece. Yeh canno stop the visits, only make your own way after each of em. No one knows who made the castle, not even itself. An it is alive, don't think otherwise."

Alina had been sitting on the table and eating with her front paws, listening to the conversation, but not truly grasping everything that was being said. Suddenly she perked up and looked around as she seized on an idea.

"It's looking for the red thing!" She said excitedly, looking at Bor for confirmation. The large man took a deep drink, but obviously smiled and beamed at her, pleased that she had grasped it.

"Whys it doing that?" Alina asked, causing Bor to shrug as he sighed and set down his mug.

"Can't say little one." He said with a burp. "Gettin a little to close to forbidden things. Now let's see ere, you all are caught in a game yeh can't even begin to comprehend, and I'm not allowed to explain the rules beyond the few tidbits you've been told already. Now you're askin' what ole Bors actually going to do to help. Well like I said, I'm givin yeh a full days rest and relaxation without any threats to you're safety, and I'm givin yeh what information I can." He lapsed into silence as he drank his beer and watched the stone circle as though expecting something to happen.

"Alright then, let's play a game." He said to Varren who he was sitting next to. Bor quickly produced a small table from nowhere and put it down at the larger tables edge so that it sat between them. A board was produced with four colors, each with four pieces.

"This is our board." He said, his eyes locked with Varren. "Green, grey, blue and red, those are our colors." Bor quickly set up the board so that four different lines of pieces faced each other. Blue and red faced each other, while green and grey faced each other.

"Move a piece lad." Bor said after he had moved one of his blue pieces forward one square. Bor moved a piece directly after and took one of Varren's. The game went on like that until only four pieces, one of each color, remained.

"Four pieces, none can take the other without leaving itself out to be taken in turn. So stalemate right?" Bor asked, obviously not expecting an answer as he dug around in his pocket and pulled out four more pieces, all of different colors then those present. These he scattered in the middle of board. They all landed upright in different spots, some close and some far from the existing pieces.

"Now there is no stalemate, and the game can continue." Bor said, picking one up and moving it to take one of Varren's. Soon enough the same four pieces were standing there, unable to move. "The same game, played out always." Bor said calmly. "So what changes? Nothing until one piece moves in just the right way." He said, sweeping his arm over the board and making the pieces disappear. "An excellent game." Bor said, his eyes still staring into Varren's as he made the table disappear just as quickly.

"So how do you move a piece right?" Alina asked from the edge of the table where she had watched the game.

"That's the question isn't it?" Bor asked, pulling out a long pipe and lighting it. "How do you beat something that will beat you in return?" He asked calmly before standing and moving to the nearby pillar where he leaned back and puffed away at his pipe while the group considered it.

Varren took his seat though was still unsure. Seemed with everyone time they met another one of these beings, that oddly decided that a human form was there default. Everytime they met one, someone in the group was bound, or tried to gain favor with Alina and Jak.

He ran his suits scanner over the foods and gave them nod that it was safe. Fren gently placed Alina on the table beside her so the hatchling could reach her plate but stayed silent for now.

They listened in. Varren was increasingly getting agitated, Fren could tell by how the tip of his tail at the end of his coils was moving about. He looked fine otherwise but the tip nearly spazzed when Bol mentioned they could not comprehend nor could he say the rules. For Varren that was a catch 22, of course they can't understand the..... situation because nothing was being explained. The whole picture had too many holes to tell what it was.

He looked at Bol when suddely the being stated they will play a game. It looked a lot like a game the humans called, chines checkers only much fewer peices. He played along narrowing his eye's as they played. Not because Bol was hard, but he was seeing about connecting dots in his head as they played.

So far they had met 4 beings, the board had 4 peiced per player. Which would mean that Bol, Medad, and the 2 other females could be on the same side, or may not be, but either way he was sure Bol was trying to tell him something with out directly saying it. "With both sides even in the end there needs to be either the right move, or a wild card. However a wild card can work in both directions. Based on what I now know..." he said half to him self before looking at the group "Medad's sister is most likely the red peice, Medad the grey, the one other maybe green or blue, and that leave Bol what ever she is not. Judging by the settings and ability's, Bol's the green, and she's the blue for wind, air." he said "The red cage is who ever drops it first to take hold of the wild card, or the goal to end a conflict, tip the balance in there favor, maybe ever scramble it to try to not come to a stale mate." he explained "While why they need us as pawns is..... not coming to mind currently, but if I figure this in any way correctly..." he paused and looked at Bol "If the pieces can't speak, the forces commanding the piece's sure can though. They write the rules after all. Or at least have the option to play by them." he said looking Bol in the eye "However I'm pretty sure it won't be as easy as just asking you where your commander or leader is? Something has to be restraining you, otherwise you'd be all using any means possible." he said.

Fren looked at Bol now. Varren could be on the ball, or far from it, but what other point would the game have? "Unless where the peices, the games much larger then on that board. Which would be why they would need us on there sides. Jak's stuck on 2, I'm stuck on another, and Alina's been brought into it as well. However Varren does raise a good point, something's restraining you, so we'd like to go speak, deal with this force our selfs. Or you'll be ending your family's petty conflict in a dead castle." she stated firmly not happy about being dragged into it.