Ryujin13

Little lost dragon and I

Avira gritted her teeth as Alina was mentioned and tried to think of something to do with the child. Combat was no place for her, hell the castle wasn't a place for her, or any of them for that matter, but here they were, and they had to make the most of it.

"You're both right." Avira said finally. "We need to heal, but Varren's right to Fren, we can't afford to, we don't have a safe place. If we can find one we can try and help Alina tonight, but now just isn't viable." She said as gently as possible. "Try and calm her down if you can, but we need to get moving."

The fact was that nothing would be alright for Alina until they got out of the castle, and there was nothing they could do about that fact.

Finally she turned her back to Fren and Alina so she could talk to Varren semi-privately.

"Varren, I understand the need for understanding, but in this situation we need stealth, and that means we can't have a crying kid. I'm not saying we dump her or leave her, I'm just saying that maybe inducing sleep wouldn't be a bad choice." Avira said, showing a small vial of tranquilizer. "Look, you said it yourself, we can't deal with her now, let's put her under until tonight then try."

Truth was Avira had very little experience with children, having never reall spent time around them. When she was working there weren't kids around for obvious reasons, and she was infertile so even if she wanted some she couldn't have any. Her best experience had been in an airport when a little girl in line had asked to pet her. Avira had let the girl then shook her hand, smiling as she did so. The experience had made her feel good, and that was one of the few times she had actually said to herself that it would be worth having a child for experiences like that.

"Varren this is a bad situation and it will only get worse for her if she sees more of it. We drug her and she doesnt see or hear anything, then there's no chance of her giving away our position."

After the decision was made and they were getting ready to leave Avira again pulled Varren to the side, but this time about herself.

"When those things were scanning us, did they mess with my implant?" She asked worriedly, her voice low so the others (hopefully) couldn't hear. "How long have I been out?" She asked suddenly when Varren said they had. "Has anything happened besides that?" Her ears were flat and her eyes showed worry but she wouldn't explain why, instead just nodding and saying she understood when he answered that nothing more had happened.

Edited by Ryujin13

Varren shook his head "Putting her out now would greatly increase the risk of her just going crazy when she wakes next. Tramatised anythings you don't just put them under unless in a ideal situation to properly care for them when they wake up next which we can't say for sure. Alina is a shadow dragon, she's not some lizard from earth either we have no idea what that could do to her system. And Fren might be weak right now but she'd still pose a great threat if her child is harmed." he said quietly "Alina is not much louder then Vita's steps anyway, not much we can do about a who knows how heavy robot." he pointed out "Alina is part of the team reguardless of her training and state. The team needs to work together, like a family for best effect in these kinds of situations, you don't put one under just because there having a hard time." he finished off saying before shaking his head and lowered his voice "From what I could tell... they did not, they seemed keen on just..... gathering info, they took a few scales then then they where done with me, few strands of fur from you and I could not see the others." he replied.

Fren was busy cuddling Alina against her chest as she slowly got a soft rumble of a odd sounding purr noise going to help sooth the hatchling. Hoping the vibrations would help the young one as well "Mom's here Alina, she's going to be alright." she assured her. Alina was somewhat heavy right now to her, but there was nothing in the universe that would let her drop or leave Alina.

Alina seemed to quiet a little as Fren spoke to her, but she was still crying and hiccuping now as well. She couldn't even talk she was so upset, but the vibrations Fren was producing at least seemed to work somewhat. In all Alina merely curled up against Fren, as tight as it was possible to go, afraid that she was going to lose her mother in addition to Kara and fuzzy.

"Fine." Avira said quietly at the decision with a nod. The truth was she didn't believe what Varren had said about Alina being part of the team as true she was part of the groups family, but in combat she was a liability at best. Avira didn't push the matter though, and instead checked her weapon.

When the group left the room, Avira took point again, using her senses to try and detect danger. The good part about being genetically modified was that her senses were enhanced beyond even a normal foxes. She could sense magnetic fields which were associated with electricity, she could detect heat to a lesser degree, and her implant stored different scents to associate with different things. Add all this to her ears and she was very good at locating potential threats.

Her body was still tired though, and though she could function now for a long time, she really needed a good nights sleep, not just a power nap. Her body still ached from the trial though, and would probably give out before she needed sleep. Using Stims she estimated she had maybe 18 hours before she would finally collapse again.

Another corner and suddenly they were facing the elevator again.

Avira looked it over carefully as she approached, never having seen an elevator like this, but the others seemed to feel it was safe, so she boarded it, waiting for Varren to activate the panel so they could go to the library.

Fren gently pressed Alina against her chest in response to the hatchling curling up against her. When it came time to move again Fren insisted on moving on her own power. Each step was quick and a little shaky, but she paused between each step. Still using her tail for support she seemed to be recovering though. Though at times she felt strange numbness at her core. But based on what she could remember when Bor removed the baby Ghoul, it had been feeding on her supposed life force and left her weak when it was removed.

It was slow going but when they reached the elevator Varren blinked and paused. That was..... too easy, the elevator in its self was almost a safe spot. He shrugged and went on. What was the worst they could suffer that the group already has not? Being turned into a host for a nightmare creature? Check, being killed? Check, Having your own will turned on you? Check. Three of the worst ways to die right there.

Vita got on before Fren made it a look of determination on her face and anyone who approached her she gave them the look not to touch her. Like she wanted to regain her status with the group. She lost it when she was turned into a wreck and while on one hand she was glad they where there to suport her, she hated the fact they all got to see her the way she had been with the parasite in her. She felt bad for Alina though but was glad the hatchling was not afriad of her from it.

The elevator functioned just as it always did, and within seconds they were standing in front of the library door, the set scales behind and to the left, the cauldron to their right.

"I'm going in." Avira said quietly, moving towards the library door. "I'm better at stealth then all of you and I can move fast. I'm better at this alone." She explained, opening the door without waiting for a response. Just like before the library was dark, filled with massive bookshelves with every conceivable title present. The damage that had been done the last time round had completely vanished, as had the crystal shards that had gone everywhere. In all it looked to be in perfect condition.

Avira moved quickly to the left as Jak had before facing the book that listed all other books in the library. "I need a book that lists the magical objects that have been discovered in this castle such as the stone in the shape of a shield, and provides detailed information pertaining to their use and abilities." She hissed, watching as the little mechanic robot came out and bobbed away, leading her towards the book in question.

Avira was practically silent as she followed the little robot, her ears on the swivel and her nose sniffing periodically for anything odd. All she could hear was the little robot and all she could smell were the books, although underneath it she could smell an odd metallic scent mixed with animal stink. She could barely detect it though, so she couldn't get a good picture of the smell itself, but it was something to look for. It took almost five minutes to reach the destination, and when they did the robot went to the top and retrieved one of the holo-cubes for Avira, dropping it happily into her waiting hands.

"One more thing." Avira whispered to the robot, before following it off a ways to a new destination. She was waiting for the robot to bring down another holocube when her ears swiveled and she froze, her nose silently sniffing the air. She could smell it, and she could hear it, a rumbling sound, the odd stench of dirt and rock mixed with organic. The guardian was maybe 20 or so bookcases away and seemed to be moving closer.

Avira turned back to the robot and gestured it closer before whispering to it again. "I need to leave quickly."

Instantly the robot turned and headed off towards the end of the aisle as Avira padded along, glancing back every few steps to check for the guardian. Without warning she dived down an aisle as the guardian turned the corner, the crystals on it's back chiming faintly as it looked back and forth. Avira didn't dare breath, instead just listening to the beast. Finally with another rumble she heard it continue on its way even as her guide came back to her. She followed it again, jogging now as she tried to leave the library as quickly as possible. They were perhaps a minute from the entrance when Avira heard the guardian bellow in rage making her immediately break into a full sprint. She could hear the thing running after her and knew it would catch her before she made it to the door, at least if it could find her. Without a second thought she was climbing a bookshelf, her hands and feet steady as she hauled herself up. Finally she hid near the top row, concealing her body from below.

The guardian came charging down a nearby aisle, the bookshelves moving out of its way like last time, but as it passed her it seemed to stop, looking around in confusion as it smelled. It was confused, trying to locate her by looking and listening. The guardian began to stalk around, looking down aisles here for clues. Finally it seemed to give up, at least until it turned and headed towards the entrance where it took up station, watching for whatever had invaded its realm.

Avira bit her cheek angrily, cursing this stupid thing for actually being smart. That was the only entrance, and it knew that whatever was here had to go through there.

'Fine, let's play a game then' Avira thought to herself as she began to silently jump from shelf to shelf. It took a few minutes to arrive where she needed to be, but finally she was at one of the walls near the door, the guardian about ten feet below her.

Avira carefully picked up a book from below her feet, made sure it was closed, and threw it as hard as she could towards the opposite side of the doorway. The book snapped open partway over the guardians head, flapping and fluttering down its arc before landing with a thump on the ground.

The guardian growled at this and took a step towards the book, but suddenly seemed to decide against it instead growling again and looking around as though daring Avira to make a run for it.

'Smart Dino' Avira thought angrily her mind already cooking up new ideas. Finally she came up with one so stupid that she couldn't help but smile and think of what Daniel would say.

Avira started jumping book shelves towards the nearest place that the guardian was at, then, when it was right below her, she jumped, catching ahold of one of its largest crystals.

The effect was immediate as the guardian roared in anger and began to struggle, trying to throw Avira off in anger, it's head trying to reach it's back to snap at her. Suddenly the guardian shifted to its side and rolled, trying to dislodge her again. Avira had been counting on this though and was ready, jumping towards the door as it rolled and sprinting out just as the guardian was getting up.

Avira slammed the door behind her, panting slightly, but held up the cube with a smile even as she pocketed the second cube for later.

"Got it." She said with satisfaction. "And I think I held on for a full seven seconds, which means I win every rodeo ever." She said, laughing as she leaned against the wall and sowed the cube to Varren.

Edited by Ryujin13

Varren looked at the others and shrugged. Avira had yet to see Fren in top condition then. "Alright, the rest of us are not exactly eager to repeat last time." he admitted watching the fox lady take off. He looked at the others when they heard the faint thumping of the crystal beast, when it roared they knew what it was. He got his weapon ready when he heard it get angry. But after a bit Avira came down the hallway and he put his weapon away. When she said she held on for seven seconds he smiled a little before nodding to the cube in her hand and the bulging from her pocket "Thanks for getting those, however..... which ones for the device, and whats the extra one for?" he asked looking a little worried "Never got 2 at the same time, and one already bring ins one guardian. 2 I do not know the payment for that will be." he said as Fren looked up in case another monster came down from above.

Far above them a door opened and the lights turned read again. Down on the platform Varren looked around. They knew what doors where there, and there was no safe room here. He shot over to the elevators control panel but the levers had become jammed. How matter how hard he pulled they would not move. Then Fren let out a warning before something very heavy landed towards the left of the elevator platform. A horrible smell reached everyone who had a nose. Then the dust settled and a half choked growl sounded. The creature clearly dead yet still moving. Many growths all over its body. It looked like a different version of the cleaning monster the castle used.

Varren's eye's went wide. "Sasha." he said breathlessly. She was back and it looked like she was here to fight them to the death. She began to began to make way to Vita who began to fire on her. Varren shot to Fren and helped her to Avira as fast as Fren could move. "Head to the other door, I know you saw it, I don't know whats inside that door." he said taking the key from the bag Jak had gotten in his early days here "Try this key on that door and if it works, pray its at least safe." he said "That is..... Sasha, she was once part of my group, she was ripped in half when I tried to save her from one of the cleaning beasts, this is..... this is whats done to those caught by them." he said as Vita struck her with his arm before she punched him back sending him taking a few steps back. "There's nothing left of her in her own body, and I have yet to figure out how to kill these, but Fren and Alina are in no state for such a fight, get them to safety!" he as he heard Vita get slammed into the wall.

Varren joined in on the fight using his speed and weapon against the creature but the black rune like lines that seemed to flow along her distorted form just fixed what little damage it did to the creature.

Fren hissed and then looked at Avira "Give me the key, I doubt your going to leave here. And if you do stay, I believe the humans would say, wish you luck." she said holding her hand out. for either Avira to help her along, or for Avira to give her the key.

(( here's what Shasha used to look like http://tashrin.deviantart.com/art/Seshan-347150528 only now she is about 5 times as bulky, has what looks like stictch lines from when she was ripped in half and looks over all 20 times more ugly now))

Edited by little lost dragon

(No it's my fault, I was tired and didn't see the rest of your post. I deleted mine so we can move forward. If you really want to you can kill Varren it would definitely turn the group on its head, but Alina is going to basically shut down.)

Avira glanced back and forth between Varren and Fren, then made her decision. Protect non combatants first if possible. As fast as she could she helped Fren down the hallway and shoved the key into its slot, turning it with a satisfying clunk.

The inside was peaceful unlike the battle zone behind them, and had let into a courtyard of sorts. The courtyard itself was about 70 yards by 70 yard, and had tasteful art set in different places. A large fountain in the shape of a set of scales sat at the center of the courtyard, with one side filing up with water before dumping it into the pool below. The scales would then level out and the other side would repeat the process. Around the courtyard were organized rows of plants in different planter boxes, each one exotic to anyone looking at them. There were four doors entering the courtyard including the door they had entered through. Avira took all this in instantly before turning and running back out, her pistol snapping up and beginning to fire round after round into the monster which Varren had called Sasha. Her aim was true, and the bullets impacted mostly her chest, but a few struck the things head causing it to at least pause for a moment before continuing.

"Varren! We need to go!" Avira yelled over the fight. "We can't beat this thing, we're just wasting ammo!" She managed to get ahold of his hand for a second and pulled towards the open doorway although lost her grip almost instantly. "Varren! It's not here! We can't save her but we can save te group! You're a leader too! The squad comes first and you know it!"

Varren looked at Avira briefly "If we don't settle this now, she'll continue to hunt me down. I've had more then a few run ins with her and now she's got more targets. The rest of you, Vita would never make it through the door with out Sasha right behind him and she's too strong for us in a straight up fight." he said before firing a few more times grabbing Avira and shooting to the side as the monster attacked him. "Take Vita with you Avira. There no escaping this. Only dealing with it now, or only delaying it. A teams leader has the responsibility to ensure his teams safety. I have a chance to ensure that from this monster." he said as vita went in again to give Varren a moment. Varren looked at the fox lady in the eye's "Take this, is so heavily modified I can't include it with my armours safety protocals." he said handing her his weapon along with the data cubes and the pendent and the horn "In the war I came from my people used a modified nuclear power source in our powered armour. To prevent capture of these suits they can max out charge and then go off like a nuke. Its designed to take out the entire facility trying to hack it. However the damage its taken I can't set the auto part." he said before he looked at Sasha who let out a shrill growl "Your in charge now Avira, get the team out of this god forsaken death trap. That's an order!" he said not giving her a choice.

He knew he was met to be dead long before now. But his teams always pulled through for him. He always figured he'd die protecting them. Some way shape or form. How fitting that he was about to and by extension letting one of his old team members finally rest after all this time. "GO! Find the control center or power supply and shut it down by any means necessary!" he said as he pressed some controls on his wrist. A plate on his back opened showing a glow along with a mechanical voice sounding "Warning, containment bypass used. Power levels rising, 30 seconds till critical mass." followed by the sound of screeching metal as Vita slide across the stone floor as Sasha body slammed him. Varren shot forward hissing at Sasha as he coiled around her quickly trying to hold her as close as possible. Buying the others time to leave with out the monster hot on there tail.

With no other choice the others left. Once they where out of sight he sighed as he Held Sasha. He looked at her seeing her controted and deformed face, the beauti corrupted and gone by the castles growths on her and the runes. "Rest Sasha." he said before she bite his neck. Then the suit detonated.

Fren held Alina close against her, a sinking feeling hitting her. From all the sounds she could faintly hear through the door. Things where not going well. she looked up as Avira and Vita came through Avira holding some things Varren had before there was a explosion. Vita closed the door before the shock wave slammed into it making the ground felt like it was wobbling, from the sheer impact Making Fren crouch to keep her weak balance. "What happened?" she demanded standing up. "What happened with Varren?" she asked used to seeing him pulling through just about everything.

Vita looked at Fren before shaking his head "The monster was too powerful. His suit had the fire power to at least deal with it in a big way, nothing would survive a blast like that." he said and Fren took a step back before shaking her head. "I'm afraid Varren has perished."

Avira shook her head as Varren told her to leave him, refusing to do what he ordered.

"You can't protect your group if you're dead!" She said, her eyes sad. "You have to be there for them! What about Alina and Fren? What are they going to do?" She yelled, already being dragged away from Varren by Vita. "You're giving up!" She yelled. "You're giving up and the others need you to be strong!" She was being pulled through the door at this point, and when it was shut she slammed both fists against it angrily.

The explosion that followed was loud enough that Avira's ears flattened and she turned away, sliding down the door to sit as she stared at the stuff Varren had given her.

Alina didn't seem to grasp what had happened until Vita announced it, at which point she started crying even harder, but silently now. She didn't even moan or sob, she just seemed to collapse like her world was. Her body curled in to itself as though trying to disappear into herself, and all that could felt from her were the tears and her body shaking with sadness.

Avira took a breath after a minute or two and holstered her pistol. She had an adequate clip to use for Varren's as well, while the horn and the cubes went into her pack. With a deep breath she stood and looked at the group, trying her best to exude confidence.

"I'm not Varren." She said. "I haven't been here as long as he was, hell I haven't even been here for more then a day. But I'm going to do my best to accomplish his last wish, which was to shut this place down, and to get you all home." She took another breath, steeling herself, then nodded. Take a drink from your canteens, eat something if you need to, we move in five." She said, trying to keep the group together by using her confidence to give the rest of them strength.

While the rest of them waited she went to one of the doors and opened it, revealing long temple with water in long troughs. Pillars spilled the water down and into the troughs with a faint trickle, while at the end sat a throne on a raised dais.

Deciding there was nothing useful there Avira tried the next door, revealing an amphitheater with a chair raised slightly above the benches like a courtroom.

The last door opened into another garden, this one with a huge tree like the last one the group had met Medad at. Water trickled in the distance and fish swam in ponds. Plants of every sort were placed in pots and planters. Mostly there were beautiful flowers which sent up a riot of colors and smell which Avira would have found fascinating on any other day. Her eyes travelled the area, finding no direct threat, then stepped into the room, advancing slowly, her ears on the swivel constantly. Finally she saw the end of the room with another door, but this one was etched with golden leaves.

After scouting the room Avira determined that this was a rest area, with beds near the edge of the room and a hot pool serving as a bath of sorts.

"We'll rest here for the night, heal as best we can." She said, locking both doors from the inside before going and sitting beneath the tree. She didn't want to intrude on Fren and Alina's grief, nor did she want to make it worse by letting them see her anger. In order to keep herself from focusing to much on what had happened she began to go through the pack that Varren had given her, transferring its contents to her own.

Food, water and other supplies. She checked Varren's weapon and set the safety before sitting back, trying to use Alex's breathing techniques to calm herself.

Fren did not like the way things where looking. The group was slowly being picked off. Just like Varren had said his group had. Only this time they knew what happened to everyone who went missing. Kara died, Jak kid napped, and now Varren dead. There only guide that knew what to expect from this place. Now a robot, Fren who was weak, a distraught hatchling, and a Fox lady who seemed to want to run things like a military operatiion and had 0 experience in this place was left.

Vita came over to Avira as she tried to calm her self. "The action he took was a plausible one. the creature possessed too much speed and manoeuvrability for all of us to escape alive with out endangering the weak ones." he said "A coward or one giving up might of gotten us all killed." he finished off saying in responce to Avira's shouting when he had to haul her out of the area. "From what he had said before, we where fighting one of his own team as well. Organics have a honor code and part of that seems to include making sure then when a team is killed in action, any desecration is to be dealt with as well." he said sounding a little confused on that one.

Avira heard the robot approach, nor was she surprised by what it said, but that didn't mean she didn't hate what it said.

"He may have made a decision in the best interest of the group, but I don't have to like it." Avira said quietly, trying to maintain a calm tone. Finally she sighed and nodded. "I know he did what was right, god knows I would have sacrificed myself to get my team out of R-" she stopped and shook her head, still thinking that Vita didn't know what she had told Varren.

"It may have been selfless, but that doesn't mean it was the best option."

Avira took out the second cube from the library from her pocket and quietly activated it, again trying to avoid what had happened.

The book was a philosophy tome titled 'Artificial life and the questions pertaining to them'. She had been trying to answer her questions about herself that she had mentioned to Varren, and now we was trying to distract herself again.

"I don't know what to do Vita." Avira said suddenly, looking up at the robot. "I can't lead this group like I'm used to because they aren't my unit, and I know Fren won't appreciate me trying to lead the group because I'm so new. How do I do this? I got a group out of a place sort of like this before, but this is so different I can't... I don't know how to go about this."

Vita looked at her the green glow coming from the slit that was his face showing no expression of any kind "Normally I woul dhave a unit delay the enemy in such situations because over all the unit can be remade with the memory's of its past self. And the fact that should I perish the war would be lost as the construction schematics for those like have been lost for many century's. But here Varren had no choice. Like it or not, the probability of other options had very high chances of more damage being done and the possibility of that monster remaining to be a threat." he said not entirely sounding like he understood the emotions, or have been long since desensitised.

When she said she did not know what to do he did his version of a shrug "History has shown some of the greatest leaders being the ones who had no idea what they where doing at first. However if we went through who had the most experence right now here, that would be Fren now." he said "However Varren might of been best suited for helping us here he was in the same boat of knowing when and what would happen next.... besides grabbing cubes, he seemed to know exactly what those brought every time. This time, it killed him." he said before Fren muttered something.

"Had she stuck to the plan Varren would still be alive since Avira already had gotten past the first guardien for the first cube. But she had to grab a second, and that monster was what the place chose." she said quietly looking right at Avira. "He did explain to you what the place does with those cubes when you grab them back when you found us in the food hall." she stated clearly not having any sympathy. "At least though he got to put his team fully to rest. If there is a after life, he's with them now."

Avira's ears swiveled towards Fren as the other spoke and she was up in a flash, her teeth bared angrily. "What I did had nothing to do with Varren's fate." She said angrily. "It took me a minute longer to get the second cube, and while it wasn't needed it didn't bring about Varren's death! Don't you ever accuse me of being to blame for what happened because I'm not. I got past the guardian and retrieved our objective, then returned safely. How is it my fault that the castle brought another into play? Tell me, was that guardian there last time? Did you see that ghoul who hurt you? No, it was an ambush and we didn't get out in time, plain and simple." She said before turning her back and walking across the courtyard to find a new place to sit. A shaded place with soft grass spoke to her and she immediately sat there, attempting to regain control by calming down. Yelling at Fren would do more harm then good, and even if Avira had been angry she still shouldn't have said anything. She needed Fren on her side, and now she had just made a tense situation worse.

Fren narrowed her eye's. Had she been her old self, before having her mental self beaten to a pulp by some creatures young in side her. She might of with held her anger. But right now. None of her missions went half as bad as this was going "You grabbed more then one Avira. I over heard him asking about it. You grabbed 2 things not one. And because you did not stick to what we came for you brought more down on us. It does not take much to add 2 and 2 together Avira. You grabbed two things 2 things showed up. If you have any hope to being the leader Varren thought he saw you'll have to think more then you currently are! Unless you do want to get us all killed!" she hissed before she half stormed half stumbled away to the other end of the room.

To anyone paying attention, it was hard to miss the frustration Fren was having being in this weakened state which was not improving her mood at all either adding to her stress while at the same time trying to not lose it too much to not tramatise Alina further. She stumbled to a bed and half sat half fell on it before she laid down though her eye's remained open and lacked the wall that normally had kept others from telling her emotions well.

Alina barely moved as Fren laid down, just inching into a more comfortable spot to lay and cry. She still wouldn't say anything, she didn't respond to stimulus, she just stared into space and cried, seemingly unaware of what anyone said or did in her general vicinity. She didn't even seem to be conciously thinking, instead maintaining the same state as someone who was in a coma. She didn't eat, she didn't drink, the only thing she did was stare into space crying or sleep.

It took Avira almost an hour to calm down again, and in order to do that she had to focus completely on not looking at Fren or thinking about what she had said.

Fren's words kept coming back though, and she looked down at the book she had gotten for herself. Had she killed Varren?

She didn't think so, it just seemed like the castle had it out for the group a this point. But what if she had? She had taken a book in the hopes of better understanding herself, but now she wondered if she hadn't paid for that by tainting the hint she was wondering about.

Finally she managed to begin to read, and as she read she realized that the book was useless. It wasn't going to answer her questions, in fact it just raised more. So if she had indeed killed Varren then he died for nothing.

Avira angrily shoved the cube back into the bag but didn't do much beyond that, instead choosing to stare off into the distance and think her thoughts.

"How do you know if you're real?" She asked aloud, her voice soft. She had wondered this since Red Palace, and it still haunted her waking moments and her dreams. Was this real? Was her life were? Or was everything just an electrical impulse that was created by someone?

For all her questions she couldn't think of an answer, and she doubted she would get one if she asked. All she got for asking was an upset stomach at the thought of her life being fake.

"How do you know if you're real?"

Edited by Ryujin13

Vita came over again "I beleive a living creature would respond with, by feeling the wind blow through your fur, tasting what your eating, and feeling the emotions of love. Though the last one might be impossible depending on the writer met it in." he said since there was no more male in the group besides him. But he was a combat base building robot. "Many organics wonder the same question Avira. Maybe that's a small bit of proof. Even those that are real question if there real or not, its perfectly reasonable." he said

Fren had fallen asleep by now holding Alina close like the hatchling was her life line but a fragile one at that.

Avira looked up as Vita began to talk, surprised that she hadn't even heard him approach. She had been totally lost in her thoughts and was almost ashamed that he had gotten the best of her.

"Yeah but..." She paused and closed her eyes before finally looking back up. "I was born in a tank, my brain was born around a piece of technology. Recently I learned that all it took to change me was for a human to run the right electrical current through my brain. They can make me different on a whim, they can make me forget things. How am I a real being if that's the case? Aren't I just some computer that they decided to put into a body? When they make us they they decide what purpose we're going to serve. I'm a leader, Alex is a computer geek. Our lives are predetermined, and all they have to do is put us through VR and suddenly we have memories that didn't happen. So how am I real? How do I know this is real? Am I just a toy for the humans? Is that all Chimeras are? Toys?" She shook her head and looked at her hands as though they were something foreign to her. "How can I lead when I can't even be sure that I'm really here?" She asked. "When anyone can change the way I think just by flipping a switch?"

Vita shrugged "If we go down to the basics, a human could easily have brain waves transmitted to them then the human is under there control or altered, in that case its called mind control. However the basics remain the same, a human embryo can be housed with in artifical wombs." he said "Look at the armour and weapon Fren has, the armour is of bio-matter along with her weapon. The systems seem to run on fluids pumping through them rather then electricity however we do not deem them alive or... real as you put it." he pointed out "Your real if you have free will. Your a computer if you can't learn, adapted and think out side of your programming. But both organic and metal, the brain can be altered for both sides of the coin." he said

"On another subject, the results for rallying the group are not high with current relations. Recommend repairs to relations sooner rather then later." he said his robot like self showing. He did seem to be able to think out side his own programming but seemed like he was pulled in after each time he did so. "

Avira listened to what Vita said and paused, her mind whirling.

"That..." She stopped, thinking hard. "That makes a lot of sense Vita." She said nodding, thinking it over. She didn't think many people had thought of the chimera thing that way, but maybe Vita had a unique perspective being an actual machine and all. She stood and brushed her tail back to some semblance of order, then looked back to the robot. "Thanks." She said, a bit happier now, albeit still sad and angry over what had happened.

"I don't know how to patch up my relationship with Fren though." She said. "I don't even know if she's right or not. Maybe I did kill Varren trying to find answers. Any ideas on how to fix this?" She asked with a smile.

Now that Avira had spoken with Vita she rather liked him and his perspective on things. Personality could use some work, but that was alright, he was a good listener and sounding board if nothing else.

Vita looked at Fren paused then back to Avira "From what I have seen and analysed she is is a very..... logic driven being. Sometimes using cause and effect extensively, a skill learned well for jobs such as intelligence gathering and detective work. Judging by the skill she was able to display before infection she was some kind of intelligence gathering agent of her species." he said before pausing again "Best ways that have the best chance of at least communicating in such conditions would be to try to get them to see your own logical thought pattern based one what you where told and what was taken into account. Otherwise high chances of anything said being rejected if opposing the already established view. However caution is advised due to the result of unfit mental state induced by the infection before it was removed and now further grief including being inexperienced on helping a loved one through things as well." he said "In a nut shell, I think the words of this sentence apply's. You got your work cut out for you." he said

Avira looked over at Fren as Vita spoke, considering her options and the best way to go about things. Finally she nodded to Vita in thanks.

"She deserves to at least sleep on what's happened." Avira said quietly, considering Fren's form before nodding and standing. "We all need to sleep. Can you take first watch? I'm going to clean up then grab some rest."

When Avira got out of the hot spring she hadn't even thought about drying herself, but when she looked around she spotted a large and extremely absorbent towel sitting nearby. The irresistible urge to shake herself dry came first though and she did, splattering water everywhere like a dog. After that the towel came out It takes awhile to get a chimera's hair dry, especially since there was so much of it and it absorbed so much water, but after a minute or two she was dry enough that she could put her clothes on again before going to bed. She slept hard that night, her dreams the same nightmares except with small glimpses of Varren thrown in. She would see him during the beatings, shaking his head sadly as she was flogged or taken advantage of, and then he would walk away even as she screamed for help.

When the morning came around Avira snapped awake, looking around for a danger she was sure was there but in reality wasn't. How long was it going to be like this? Waking up every morning scared, afraid of what might have woken her. In Red she was usually woken by someone coming to retrieve her, either out of a clients room or her cell. Either way it was terrible, and she had come to dread waking up there because it meant that another day of hell had started. A day of unspeakable evils done to her by men who payed for their perversions.

Avira shook herself and put her legs over the side of her bed, looking down at them for a moment before slipping them inside her boots and standing, already trying to decide how to go about this. Finally she went over to wait until Fren woke.

When the Shatong did Avira was waiting nearby, reading the book that she had retrieved, trying to find mention of the stone.

Avira gave Fren time to wake up and look after Alina before finally walking over and putting a hand on Fren's shoulder. "We need to talk." She said quietly and calmly, making sure her words wouldn't be taken as anything but a statement.

She led Fren a small distance away and held her hand up before Fren could start.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not Varren, I can't be, not even close. He was dynamic, he was a good leader, and he was a good person. I cannot replace that, no one can." She said quietly. "Whether or not you blame me for his death is fine. Yell at me, hiss at me, whatever, I can take it, I've taken a lot worse. But I talked to Vita and he made a good point about you. You place a lot of faith in intelligence, about logic. My friend Alex is like that. Very smart, tech junkie, that sort of thing. But the point is, I helped get her through a rough patch by talking to her in a language she understands. So, let's try that. We need each other. I don't care if you admit it to me or yourself but it's true. We need each other because if the group fractures then everyone will die alone, including Alina there. I can tell you love her, anyone can, but if the group fractures then that little girl will die like the rest of us no matter how hard you try to protect her." Avira let out a breath and rubbed her nose a little before continuing. "Fren, I'm not threatening you. I'm not telling you that you're wrong, or that you're stupid. I'm not holding Alina over you as leverage, I am just stating simple facts. We are in a warzone with no clear enemies or allies. We need to stay together as a group because if we don't, we will all fail. If we stay together then the four of us will get out and maybe that girl will talk again when she plays in the sunshine in a real meadow. All I need is for you to help me. If that means that every night you have to take me aside and yell at me, punch me, whatever, then ok. I'd rather be hated then know that I killed the group."

Edited by Ryujin13

Vita nodded "Alright." he said before talking to the middle of the room before coming to a stop and seemingly going in active but all his sensors where scanning the room constantly.

When Fren woke she gently stroked the hatchling back and whispered to her, trying to tell Alina she'll make it and she was a strong hatchling. She gently kissed her before gently picking her up off her chest and placed the hatchling in where Fren had been sleeping when she got up. After she had Alina tucked Avira's hand was on her shoulder. She stood up making Avira let go or be hauled, or attempted hauled off her feet. When the fox lady they needed to talk she narrowed her eye's but came with her.

She crossed her arms eye's narrowed as she spoke. When the fox lady finally finished Fren just remained like so till she grabbed the fox lady by both shoulder and shoved her knee into Avira's gut. The blow powerful still just weakened by Frens state "That was for Varren." she said letting go "Fine, I'll work with you for now. But any more mistakes that gets another member killed like you did Varren. A simple lack of thinking, I'll remove you my self from the group." she said with a low hiss laced into her words. "But for Alina's sake, I'll go with you." she finished off saying.

Avira took the blow well enough considering, but it still drove the breath from her lungs and doubled her up. She still managed to keep from crying out in pain, but had gasp as we tried to fill her lungs again. Finally she straightened, her eyes watering with pain, but she didn't say a word, her brown eyes emotionless as she waited for Fren to continue hitting her.

When nothing more came Avira glanced over at Alina, and nodded, turning without a word and walking away. She still didn't belive that Varren's death was linked to her taking an extra cube, but as long as Fren believed it then Avira would have to take whatever Fren dished out.

Without waiting around for Fren to continue using her and a punching bag Avira turned and walked to the large tree where she sat and opened one of her meals and began to eat, her stomach aching from where Fren had kneed her.

Alina woke at the sound of Avira's choking sound and looked around as Fren stood back and began to talk angrily. It didn't matter though, fuzzy, Kara, and now Varren were gone, so nothing really mattered that much. Alina began to cry again, her form shaking now and then from sadness and fear.

How long would it be before mommy was gone too? She wondered, although it was a more detached thought.

Just like that her mind went blank again, and she cried harder, her tears silent, the only sound her ragged breathing.

Even when asked to eat or drink she refused, choosing instead to stare into space. She didn't react to outside stimulus, not even to soft words from Fren, instead just crying to herself, her eyes far away.

Fren turned around and went back to Alina and sighed sadly. She gently picked up the hatchling and gently cuddled the little being. When it came time for some feeding Fren's heart dropped like a stone when the hatchling refused to eat, drink, or anything. Just a constant silent crying. Varren's death seemed to have been Alina's tipping point. And she had fallen over the edge mentally. And thanks to that fox lady, a cube seemed to summon a monster. and Varren did explain that to Avira when they first met her. But as soon as the furry creature was able she grabbed more then what they came for, and could deal with as a result. Now as a result Varren was dead and by extension Alina was.... she had locked her self away.

Fren knew the little hatchling though needed to eat but short of forcing the little one which she was sure would not help anything, it was like Alina might as well be dead. Very few things breaks Fren's heart, last time was when she accidentally caught a unprotected child in a acid cloud. Now Alina. She tried a few more times before letting out a shaky sigh and gently hugged the hatchling against her neck trying but failing to make the purring like sound she was so choked up.

Vita came over to Avira as she ate "Relations show chances much higher rate of survival now, granted much more work is needed, such work takes time." he said "Bruising to ribs detected, however nothing serious. data says if Fren met to critically harm you her talons on her feet would suffice." he said before looking right at Avira "What do you think about all this? I know you don't know what to do, however Varren already told you the basics of this place which he and everyone else was limited to when it came to leading them through this place." he said

Though she continued to silently cry, and not much else Alina did hug Fren back, pushing herself against the Shatog so that as much of her was in contact as possible. She was scared, she was grieving, and now she was terrified that Fren would disappear like everyone else she had ever known.

Avira looked up at Vita as the robot approached, then around at the room. "I think we have very little chance of succeeding here." She said, her voice low enough that Fren couldn't hear. "We're out of our league from what Varren has told me, and from what I've seen. I don't think this is a fight we can win. We're going to have to choose whether to survive and go home of try and stop this place. Doing both..." She shook her head. "The only way we do both is if we have a game changer, and from what I understand, the best way to go about that is to make a deal with one of these beings, probably Bor since he seems to be on our side. So that's what I see. We have three objectives; stop the castle, keep the red cage from opening, and getting home in one piece." She looked up at Vita again, her heart sad as she finally admitted that she probably wouldn't see her friends again. "Tell me I'm wrong Vita." She said quietly, looking down. "Please say that we have a chance because I want to see my friends again. I miss them and I want to go home, but I don't think we can make it home alive."