Ryujin13

Little lost dragon and I

Medad nodded and stood as well, heading down towards the pool where he had left Jak.

The boy was sitting where Medad had left him, his feet in the water and the ring in his hand. He was staring at the water, his mind a hundred miles away as he considered whether to put on the ring.

"Jak, we need to talk." Medad said as he sat, at the edge of the pool. He gestured for Fren to take up position opposite of Jak so that the pool separated the two and he sat between them.

"What's she want?" Jak asked, watching Fren warily as he played with the ring.

"Jak, Fren is here to discuss your relationship. Both of you are butting heads and it needs to stop."

"Why do you care about that?" Jak asked, causing Medad to frown.

"I care because I am Medad, and I see good in you all, and I would prefer for you to not die in the castle. What is more, both of your behaviors have affected Alina, and her well being hinges on a good atmosphere. So, we need you both to at least reach an understanding. Varren tried this before and it worked for all of a day. We need this to work until you find a way out of the castle."

"Fine, then make her back off. I'm tired of her ju-"

"Silence!" Medad thundered the sky seeming to darken and his voice deepening perceptibly as his eyes turned the deepest of blue almost to the point of black. "This is not a debate, nor an argument. I do not care what past hurts you have done on each other, this is for the good of an innocent!" He continued before seeming to calm and return to normal size. The water in front of him calmed visibly, the waves that had started upon his transformation slowly stopping until the pool was like glass again.

"Now, we will calmly discuss what you both feel, and then we will figure a solution out."

Jak's eyes had gone wide and he had reached for the sword upon Medad's transformation, but for some reason he couldn't complete the draw, his hand freezing before it could even touch the hilt.

Medad looked a him, a sterner look in his eyes and gestured for Jak to go first.

Jak swallowed visibly, then looked at Fren, obviously shaken but fully willing to talk now that it was obvious that Medad wasn't a pushover as previously thought.

"So I just say what I don't like?" He asked cautiously, watching as Medad nodded.

"Um ok, well I don't like the way that you always look down on me, even when my actions don't affect you. Like when I ate to much, or when I didn't approach Kara the right way, or you know, what happened with Nuria. I also don't like the way you have to constantly remind me of my mistakes. I made a bad choice, that's all I need to know. I don't need to be reminded of it every time I pick my nose." He said, his voice growing louder until Medad gave him a harsh look that made him go quiet again.

"Now Fren, respond with how you feel about those things he mentioned, then tell him what you don't like about him."

Fren followed Medad too the pool and almost rolled her eye's as Jak right away started up again. She also noted his Jak right away went for his sword though strangely, the child could not grab it. When he spoke on the subject she narrowed her eye's but did not interrupt him. So he did not like her getting after for actions that don't affect her. Like when he ate too much. That could have easily rendered him ill for one thus affect the entire group including her. Yet another example of him not thinking before acting and that's right here right now.

She nodded when Medad told her it was her turn "Jak when I told you not to eat too much not only could that of affected the group, it was also for your own good. Should you have become ill, or.... I think you'd call it barfing, had you barfed it up then you would be hungry again then the whole group would have needed to turn around so you have more fuel. As for approaching Kara, you where not listening to her signals. Being a chatter box to one who's closed and being nothing but a chatter box trying to get her to respond is not the way to go. Nor is trying to advance on her or showing off even after she clearly already said no. Your actions there also affected the whole group and while Alina might of not been there at the time, had that bolder rolled a little more you would have been dead. Now as for Nuria, when a female speices mates they normally release pheromones as well. This can cause my kind great disconfert and make us ill. Not to mention other details. So yes Jak, that does affect me. You don't think before you act. You just charge in and think afterwards and even then as you clearly just displayed. You don't give a dam who you affect. Unless its right away you don't seem to see consequences and if anyone says no to you you never take it as a answer. You get a reminder Jak because you have not learned and you refuse to learn. Keeping it fresh in your head keeps repeats from happening for now. You want to have respect yet you demand it with out using your head. Its not that I hate humans thus hate you Jak. Its your continues habit of not using the brain you have." she finished off pretty sure Jak most likely was taking what she said in one ear and then out with the other. Chance of her getting through to him was very very low.

Varren watched the 2 leave and sighed and looked at the others at the table "So, onto other things. Now that we've found Medad, and he can't really help us with the castle, what are your thoughts on what to do next?" he asked wanting to hear there thoughts. A leader might lead but a good leader listen to those he leads as well.

Jak obviously wanted to argue back with Fren as she spoke, but the memory of Medad's display was still fresh, so he remained silent, although he was now playing with the ring that Medad had given him, turning it over and over as a way to keep himself busy.

When she finished and Medad gave Jak the to ahead he carefully considered his words so as not to anger Medad again.

"How was I supposed to know that you got sick from that?" He asked. "I've never had reason to ask, and you've never had reason to tell. It's not like I can read minds you know." He said, getting a warning look from Medad.

"Anyway, I'm not good with girls, I told you all that and I even asked for Varren's help. I was just doing the best I could which obviously wasn't the right way to approach it. The food thing was just, I don't know, me having fun I guess. I didn't know where we were, I didn't know this place was dangerous, so I ate until I was stuffed like I do with my friends at home, and then fell asleep. There wasn't any danger so it didn't seem like a big deal." He explained. "Everything else... Yeah you're right, I didn't make the best decisions. I thought I could show you and Varren that I could be cool and brave like you and Varren. I wanted to show off for Kara like in the movies. You know, cool guy beats the monster and the girl falls for him? I thought I could pull that off. No it wasn't a good decision, I didn't think it through and now I'm paying for it. So yes you're right, I don't think, I have a tendency to want instant gratification. Long term isn't something I consider. The whole things probably a throwback to my early life. Think only for yourself to survive, that was the motto, and it's what's happening now. So yeah, it is hard, but Medad gave me another chance and I'm taking it." He said, shoving the ring on his finger.

The effect was instantaneous as Jak's artificial leg seized up, causing him to cry out in pain and grasp it as the whole thing morphed before their eyes, turning into a length of metal with a rubber pad on the bottom. (Think artificial legs right now.)

The ring also changed, running like water up onto Jak's wrist before solidifying into a metal band. This one wasn't like the jewelry that Alina and Medad wore, this one was a single piece of metal that wrapped around his wrist until it met the other side. It was right enough that he couldn't get it off, but loose enough that it wouldn't cut off circulation or hinder his movements. Glowing blue symbols covered the bracelet as well, each one unfathomable to anyone but Medad and others like him. Medad had grown again and the sky had darkened once more as he stood tall and looked down at the frightened boy, his black eyes holding Jak's.

"Actions have consequences Jak, and you have avoided yours so far." Medad's said, his voice reverberating in the air as it thundered over any other noise.

"Every mistake that has cost another shall be laid bare, every deed that has hurt yourself and others shall be judged. The gift bestowed upon you for your latest farce, is now replaced with this. You do not deserve what the castle gave you. Your actions could have killed the others, yet you were rewarded for it. The bracelet you bear is a symbol of regret and a pledge to do better. It will help to guide you until it is sure that you can continue on your own, but know this, death awaits you should you willingly commit an act that will bring more harm then good. Attempting to break this pact by removing the band will result in a gruesome death, anything that the band seems against the nature of this pact will result in death." Medad said, the wind roaring now, threatening to blow Jak away while Fren remained untouched.

"But that's unfair! Everyone makes mistakes! And what about my pact with Nuria?" Jak shouted over the wind.

"You are correct, and minor mistakes will result in warnings or small punishments, but things like the armory will not be tolerated. Your pact with Nuria is unknown, but you will honor this as well. It is a mistake you must live with,". Neither of you will speak of this pact to anyone, it is a binding agreement that will result in death as well. Now do what you have promised Jak. Fren, you will assist as well by guiding him. This is not an option, disagreement will result in punishment." Medad finished before falling into the pool of water and vanishing without a trace. The wind died down and the sky brightened again, leaving Jak and Fren sitting next to a calm pool once more.

Jak didn't say or do anything after that, stunned at what had happened, and unsure of what to say. He didn't know what to do now that he was bound to two different beings, and he didn't know what Fren would do now. Probably celebrate or something.

(The others don't know this is going on. The weather remains sunny and peaceful for them.)

Kara frowned slightly, thinking things through before nodding once.

"Medad says the castle is malfunctioning and that the door in the entrance hall might be the key. So I say we go there and look the door over, see if there are any key holes or ways to open it. If there are then we start looking for the keys."

Alina nodded happily and ate another cookie before jumping off the table and starting to chase an insect that was buzzing near the ground nearby, giggling as she did so.

"I wish I was still that carefree. " Kara said quietly. "Even after everything the castle has done she's still happy and quick to laugh."

"lThe wonders of childhood." Medad said from his chair, making Kara start and look around. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just got done with Jak and Fren. I think they need to talk alone now, and I'm interested to see what effect my efforts will have on them."

Edited by Ryujin13

Fren watched Jak as he spoke her eye's narrowed again when he tried to make excuses but went back to normal when he started to admit he did not think before acting. First step to improving is admitting the issue. To bad it required a powerful being to crack out. Then he slipped a ring on after mentioning another chance she blinked then blinked in alarm as things around them changed. The ring changed Jak's metal leg changed and Medad got bigger. Her tail lashed in agitation not quite understanding what was going on now. Then Medad spoke his voice louder and differnt as well.

The whole thing was..... frightening yet she knew it was good. The words she heard she was glad Jak had a reason not to go with his apparent motto. Though she did not know Jak made a pact with Medad's sister. And as a result what ever it was, either had to not go against his new ring or else. Though she blinked when it was said she'd help guide Jak. And that punishment would result otherwise.

When Medad went into the pool and the sky went back to normal she looked around a bit bewildered before looking at Jak. Looked like she was getting a family here. Alina saw her as mother and Jak was now more or less under her care, charged to her by Medad. Now all she needed was a mate and then nothing would be missing.

She blinked and looked at his reformed metal leg then back to him then his ring "With your chose to.... start over in mind, The packs you've made in the last hour, I think we should start off with what exactly this other pact is. Judging by your question to Medad there when he was....... what ever he was doing, the ring might conflict with that agreement?" she asked looking at his eye's now "And seeing as Alina sees you as her brother more or less, guess your..... I think where your from they would call it, adopted? I guess your adopted again for your stay in this castle judging by what Medad said there." she said clearly a bit baffled still. She had not expected anything like this.

Varren nodded "Finding the control centre would allow us to try to at least stop the castle for good. I doubt any of us could fix it though, its way past any of our times in tech and we've only figured out how to use a tiny portion of it, much less understand it." he said "However there's no telling either when we'll find that door, much less its key." he pointed out "First course of action based on that..... continue to search for the exit. As we do that, look for the key. Should we find the exit. Those that wish to leave may. Those who stay, they and I will find the castle control room." he said, the look on his face making it clear. It will be stopped, no matter the cost.

He smiled and sighed "She's a strong one. Once Fren and Jak stop fighting, she'll be even better off." he said quietly as Medad showed up. He looked at the being and nodded a little startled but spending as much time as he had in the castle, it did not faze him much. "I assume progress was made?" he asked "Will it last progress by any chance?" he asked a little hopeful.

Jak's eyes were still wide with fear at what had just happened, and he was still visibly shaking, but he managed to turn and look at Fren.

"I um, Nuria gave me skills to impress the group, like how to use the sword properly, she said she would make me stronger and faster, and she said that I would impress the group and Kara would love me." He finished lamely. "She also fixed the sword." He said, drawing it carefully and showing Fren the blade. "Nuria said all I had to do was do nine tasks for her and I could keep the skills forever." He explained. "Nuria did say that anything she asked me to do wouldn't harm me or the group, so there is that."

Medad nodded, his eyes far away as he thought to himself. "Yes progress was made, and I expect that things will improve, but I won't discuss the details with you, that is for them to decide how much to share. Now then, I am sorry to say that once they have returned that will be the end of our meeting. I have already interfered far to much, and helping any more will do more harm then good. So, each of you may take a drink of water as I bid you farewell." He said, pouring enough glasses for everyone before standing with his pitcher of water. Alina came bounding over and said a tearful farewell as Medad stroked her and held her close before finally setting her down. Without a further word he turned, walked behind the great tree and disappeared again.

(If they drink the water they fall asleep, but Alina sides them that it's normal.)

Fren listened as Jak spoke and sighed as he told her about the deal he made to get the skills she gave him. She looked at him though when he finished. "Did she say that specificity?" she asked "Such wording leaves other details open. It might include things like slowing us down or limiting what we can do which will hurt out progress which can thus result in harm to the group and even you. Set in motion events that could be costly." she explained "Females that offer there body's like that and hand things over like that are never to be trusted. More so if they also don't tell what exactly is the deal." she explained before standing up "In either case however, try not to find out how exactly that.... wrist band punishes. Now, we should return to the group. I get the feeling Medad will leave the explaining up to us. Since we can't inform them of the......... my people lack a term of magic things." she said "However, with that in mind, while not exactly my idea, you are under my..... wing now." she said trying to word it so he understood.

Varren nodded and said his good bye's and thanked Medad for the help he did provide. He looked at his glass of water then at the juice. He drank the juice first then looked at the water "If I recal the writings in the holo book correctly, drinking the water the powerful being hands will bring something good, but it will judge one as well." he said hesitating.

Jak didn't really know what den wanted him to say at this point, so just remained silent. He knew it was probably a mistake having trusted Nuria, but saying sorry wasn't going to do him any good. Instead he just nodded and stood before limping along behind Fren, his new leg nothing like his old one. Now it was stiff and unyielding, it didn't move like an actual leg, and even though he was only missing from his knee down, it was hard to walk on. He didn't complain though , and when they got back to the table he sat and let Fren do the talking, on adding in details she didn't know.

Kara gave him a hard look when he explained what had been offered to him before turning her golden eyes away, knowing that she had done the right thing in not accepting his advances.

After the whole thing was said and done Alina finally spoke up about the water.

"Medad wouldn't tell me everything." She explained. "But you just fall asleep and have a dream, when you wake up you're somewhere else he said it's the only way to leave here."

She explained, going over and picking up her glass.

Jak did the same and clinked his glass with hers, a smile on his face as he and Alina both drank.

They stayed smiling for a moment then both slumped to the table, soft snores announcing their sleep.

During their sleep each appeared in a stone room, all alone, and before the was a huge set of scales. To the side was a large judges booth and in it sat a huge canine, it's snarling mouth watching the dreamer. Opposite was a large bird, a quill from its own plumage in one hand and a scroll in the other. On the scale sat a single feather, barely the size of a pinky. Without waiting the canine seized the dreamer and placed him or her on the scale opposite the feather. The scale moved back and forth as though deciding for itself what the decision was. For Jak the scale finally became weighted down on his side, causing the bird to scribble madly on the parchment. The canine picked him up, and dropped him into a black pit beside his podium, where Jak plummeted down, down, down.

For Kara the decision was longer coming, but eventually she to was picked up and dropped down the dark hole.

Alina's judgment was quickly over, and she was placed onto a white tile to ride down gently, just like the first time.

The group woke some time later all at the same time, with Jak gasping awake and looking around wildly. Kara accidentally caught fire again, and had to focus to extinguish herself, while Alina peacefully woke up and looked around.

The group was in a bedroom now, each in a bed suited to them, (Fren's in a Shatong bed.) with new clothes set out for them and a bathroom for them all to use, with cleaning available based on the species. Beyond that the place was bare, with only a single door leading in or out.

(They are all judged based on how good of a life they led. Were they good to themselves and others? Did they try to better themselves, etc... Good means tile, no means pit.)

Varren looked at Fren as it was explained and shook his head at Jak but said nothing. When the explaining was done he sighed "Well at least progress was made today. I'd rather this over where you where going Jak." he admitted "Sounds like Fren's been made your guardian. As such you'll be expected to report to her and through her then to me. As she'll report to me if its anything large and affects the whole group." he said with a nod.

When the glass of water was explained he sighed and then quickly drank his glass. Shortly afterwards he muttered something then slumped over.

Fren looked at the glass almost sure what ever it was, if the book was right, she'd surely be doomed. But at the same time, she did not have a choice about taking care of Jak. Thus she would not be killed. Thinking on that she picked up the glass and drank before laying down quickly to avoid just dropping or slumping over.

Varren blinked in the stone room. The canine bit his neck right away, not piercing but tight enough to let him know if he struggled he might lose his head. He was punked into the scale and he felt it move up and down. A scale like this was used for measuring weights and.... often seen with judging and decisions. So it was true the water fluid was judging those that drank it.

After a few moments it seemed to raise him. He was then removed and placed on a tile, he noticed on the other side a pit was there. That must be if they failed judging by the fact there was a large bird here who was not going crazy like most would in such situations.

Fren on the other hand stood up in the scale not liking this one bit. It raised and lowered for a bit then stayed lowered and the large bird scratched at its scroll. She grunted having already knowing she would fail this. When the canine went to grab her again she let out a hiss at it not about to let it grab her again before jumping down the only exit she saw, the pit.

Varren woke up eye's wide in the room and was up in a instant, Fren for one was on what seemed to be a large wide lump of bio something but was seemed to have molded to her sleeping form before she woke up. Her eye's opened but she did not move as her eye's looked about before they spotted Kara on fire suddenly. she got up and looked at the others before patting her bed "For once the place realizes I don't sleep in fabrics." she commented removing what seemed to be a white thick membrane that was acting like a sheet for her.

Varren could not help but chukle. Well seemed they all where here granted some a bit frightened. Must of been the judge thing.

"Morning, or the equal of here, everyone." he greeted them.

(Guaa, brains shutting down for the night lol.)

(Still half asleep...)

Lynn who was called back to the group eyed the water suspiciously, but after seeing the others drink she decided to join them. She fell asleep almost instantly, her small form slumping over.

She stood in a room where two other creatures were. The mammal went to pick her up and she found that her wings were bound. It placed her on the scale which now tilted ever so slightly downwards. The bird scribbled something and then the canine picked her up and dropped her down the pit, wings still bound.

(Lynn is still asleep when the others wake up, she's having her nightmare and will probably attack anyone who tries to wake her, especially if it's Fren or Varren. She is asleep in a nest of dried plants.)

Jak unfolded himself from the ball he had ended up in and stretched, looking more like a cat then ever before as he moved around, loosening his muscles up.

"Morning." He said finally, sighing contentedly as he sat down on his bed again.

"So what's the plan now?" He asked as he stood and began to check and reorganize his bag. "Or do we even have a plan now?"

Kara finally managed to put herself out and immediately went to the restroom where she locked the door and began to bathe herself. Like the first time it took almost an hour, but when she returned she was radiant from the cleaning.

Jak was next although he took a lot less time, just washing himself, brushing his teetch, drying and changing his clothes.

After that he waited by the door quietly, ready to go when the others were but not pushing it either.

Varren nodded to Jaks question "Prime objective is to locate the exit. Secondary is to locate the right key for the door that possibly leads to the castles control center. If we find the exit first then those who wish to leave, may, I will stay with those who want to deal with this place. We'll be shutting this place down one way or another." he explained "We might get new objectives along the way. But those are the main ones." he explained as Kara went into the bathroom.

Fren nodded "Sabatage is what I've been trained in. This place has shown its self to run to at least similar principles, example those crystals you are using to enhance your weapon and that guardian the acid bomb weakened. I don't have many left however. Nor was there any in the armory......... most likely due to how they proved effective against this place." she said and Varren nodded "If we find the key and control room first however... there's no telling if we'd be able to locate the exit. And if we leave the control room, there's no telling we'd locate it again." he pointed out looking a bit concerned as he spoke about the flaw int he plan.

"Maybe we could set a time delay or something?" Jak asked. "Give us like a week to find an exit before the sabotage goes off? It works in the movies and stuff." He said with a shrug before looking at the ground and shuffling his feet.

"Worth checking out, but sacrifices might have to be made." Kara said quietly. She knew that if it came down to it and they had to blow this place while they were in it then she would revert back to an egg and continue to exist forever, dying and being born over and over, or at least until she ended up someplace where she could survive. And if they ended up in the voids between worlds then the universe might very well end before that would happen. "If it comes to it then I..." She looked down, thinking about what she was about to say. She had nothing waiting for her back home, nor did she have any reason to believe that fact would change anytime soon. "...I volunteer to stay behind and sabotage this place while you all escape." She said quietly. "I have an eternity to search for a way out. You all only have one life. I'd rather see you go and live it then be stuck here." Truth be told she was terrified of the possibility of having to do something like that, especially with how her first 15 days had gone.

"I don't think that'll happen." Jak said quickly, seeing the look on Kara's face as she considered these things. "I'm sure that we can find a way to sabotage this place and escape." He said, earning a small smile from Kara that made his heart flutter.

Alina was still sleeping as the debate continued, her young form still requiring a lot of rest between her bouts of activity. Currently she lay on her side, her wings folded although the occasional twitch could be seen now and again. As the talk momentarily wound down she finally rolled onto her back and let out seemed to hiccup, letting out a poof of dark energy that left a faint black spot on the roof.

"Some of her powers are coming in." Kara said quietly as Alina gave a soft snore. "The black fire is something all of her kind have."

Varren looked at Kara and shook his head "I may only have one life. But I've learned how to survive in this place for a long time. The people where I come from have long determined me dead as they saw me get shot with a large explosive, I was brought here a moment before death." he admitted and looked at Jak "Jak, none of us know how to operate this place. Trying to work its controls to allow for a escape while riddling it to blow might cause further issues and just get everyone killed anyway." he explained "Notice its translation program always has to change so we can read it." he said before seemed to remove a scale "I mentioned I'm trained in sabatage correct? To be trained in such that means getting out alive after doing ones work. I have a few tricks I can try maybe even hack it." she said holding out the bio-tech device "This is a hacking probe. All it needs is a little data on how to read the castles code that it runs on. Once we have that then I could enter in the places systems and start seeing what can be done."

Varren sighed "Alright, lets say finding a exit is first priority, but if we find the key and the control room before hand, we'll make use of that. But either way, this place is to not function once where in its control center." he said and Fren nodded putting the device back on her arm.

Fren nodded as Kara said Alina's powers where coming in and looked at Jak "The kind of powers she'll be growing into are the kind that requers great responsibility. Otherwise they litterly could cause the kind of damage that might even result in our entire lives changing and we'd never know, possibly because we'd never exist as a result." she said looking at Alina "It is why I got after you before so much. Alina likes you Jak, your a brother according to her. Thus you have a influence as well." she explained so he knew why.

Varren blinked and looked at Kara, Fren's voice did not carry its normal hardness towards Jak. This was odd. But now she was almost talking to him almost motherly. He knew that some kind of deal had been made, but is was still strange seeing and hearing her speak to Jak with out the hardness and such in her voice.

Edited by little lost dragon

"If it even runs on programming or the like." Kara said. "Sure this place has gears and such, but for all we know it's source of energy is magic, the things that control this place are magic. You can't hack magic Fren, it's impossible. Magic breaks all laws of physics, it is literally chaos bound by will. Technology like that is logical and doesn't mix with magic."

Jak looked down, thinking on Kara's words before nodding.

"She's right, at least about the magic part. We know this place has magic in it, how else do you explain the rooms shifting, the halls changing, the cleaning system, or the guardians? How do you explain this?" He asked, drawing his sword and showing its blade which was good as new. "We all saw Kara melt it, but here it is again. I think we have to operate under the assumption that total destruction is the only option for this place."

Kara nodded in agreement, looking around at the others. "If it comes to it, and one of us has to stay to assure the destruction of this place then it should be me. I'll survive, or at least my egg will, and eventually I'll be reborn." She said, preparing for an argument.

"Now of this matters right now anyway." Jak said quickly. "We have to find the control room if there even is one, and that's a big assumption that we can find it. Who gets to die doesn't matter if we can't find the place where we can destroy this thing. Medad said he thinks something importants behind that locked door in the main hall. I say we go look and see if we can't spot any specific keys."

Fren looked at Kara with a blank look. Magic was something she knew nothing of magic for the most part and all the talk about magic now was just causing her to get confused. What did Kara mean by chaos bound by will?

Varren sighed "Right now, finding a exit is top priority." he stated "The rest are secondary." he said looking at them. "Now onto other things. I think it maybe best for us to get moving sooner or later. Wash up and lets get some food." he said with a nod. Fren nodded and finally stood up and walked into the smaller room and closed the door behind her to clean her self. It only took 10 or so min before she came out her scales under slime layer glistening again. She gently picked up Alina before gently waking the hatchling up "Morning Alina, I think its time to give you a small bath." she said noting some dust and other things on the hatchlings scales.

Alina woke up slowly but looked up at Fren finally, sleep still in her eyes.

"Ok mommy." She said, rubbing one eye as she continued to slowly wake. By the time they had reached the bathroom though she was becoming more active, and by the time the bath tub was full she was talking normally.

When Alina was finally placed in the bath tub she giggled and began to swim around, her body moving gracefully through the water, almost like a snake glides along the earth.

She splashed around happily as her scales were cleaned, and by the time she was clean the walls and floor were as wet as if they had taken a bath as well.

While this was going on Jak waited patiently in the next room, unsure of what else to say. Kara seemed bent on dying here, which was strange to say the least. Even if she was immortal she still felt pain, she should still fear death, why would she welcome it?

"Kara?" He finally asked hesitantly. "Why don't you want to go home?"

Kara blinked at the question, not having been expecting it, but she finally managed to shrug, attempting to be nonchalant.

"Like I said, I live forever, you don't, I can find a way home later." She said, causing Jak to frown.

"That's not what I asked." He said quietly. "Why don't you want to go home?"

"Says who I don't? It's like I said, I just want to-"

"Ok come on Kara." Jak said suddenly, cutting her short. "I can tell if someone's lying, you have to when you live wih a bunch of drug dealers and such. Now what's the real reason?"

Kara's eyes got angry for a few seconds, the molten gold color flickering red before she finally sighed and shrugged again.

"There's nothing for me there. Might as well give you guys a chance at happiness."

"But you said it to Varren yourself, everyone can go and get a fresh start when we leave. Plus your family is immortal to, so they'll still be around and waiting for you."

"Shut up Jak!" Kara suddenly yelled, fire consuming her completely while the room hour ex into an oven almost instantly. "You're right, my family is still alive and will be until the end of time in one form or another, but you know what? They don't care about me! They banished me from the clan because I couldn't control my powers! They told me to never come back because they were ashamed of me! You know what, I did the best I could! I tried everything to control my powers and nothing worked. So now I'm alone and no other phoenixes will even look at me, and I'm stuck watching things die! You know what it's like to watch friends die inch by inch? It's not fun Jak, and that's why I don't care if I stay here! I die then so what? I don't have to watch others hurt and I can just be alone where I won't bother anyone! I know what I said about phoenixes mating with mortals and it's true, but they are rare! Only a few exist, and they are the weird ones! So that's why I'd rather stay then leave! I don't belong at home, I don't really belong here, but at least by staying here I can do something!" She ranted, sparks and bits of flame flying from her in her anger. Jak put out the ensuing fires by stamping them out, but Kara was still angry and the heat coming off of her was intense. It was becoming so hot that Jak could feel his skin start to burn as if he had been in the sun to long, and he knew this must be bad on Varren as well.

"Kara!" Jak shouted over the roaring of the phoenixes fire. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you, I didn't know!" He called out.

It took a few minutes but finally Kara stood in front of them again, tears falling as she sat on the bed behind her and began to scoop them into a jar for later use. She continued to sob though, and it was obvious that this was more for something to do with her hands to try and take her mind off of things.

"Kara, I'm sorry." Jak said quietly, moving over to sit next to her. "I didn't mean to upset you. I just didn't know."

"I know that Jak." Kara whispered, getting another couple of drops in her vial. "I've been holding onto that for a long time, and you were just the unlucky one."

Fren smiled as she cleaned Alina glad to see the hatchling smiling and giggling. Though cleaning the hatchling was somewhat of a challenge she did not mind.

Varren sighed as Jak pressed Kara for answers. Which in the end had the effect he expected. She got fed up and exploded. He helped putting out the fires that sprung up though considering he was largely cold blooded the heat felt nice, if not a little hot. Once Kara had her self under control again he sighed "Well, you only lost control there really when Jak pushed you for answers. Something that was not critical thus should have been left be till you where ready on your own terms." he said "However that was really your first burst or explosion since you joined the group. For someone who has trouble controlling her powers, I'd say she's doing quite well." he said. "After Fren's done bathing Alina, lets head off." he said with a nod.

Fren eventually finished bathing Alina and picked her up and out of the water before grabbing a towel and wrapped the hatchling up in it gently rubbing it on Alina's scales to help her dry off.

Disturbed by the commotion Lynn awoke to see Kara engulfed in a strange hot light. Lynn let out a surprised hiss as tried to get up from where she had slept. Other than the strange phenomenon she saw that Kara and Jak were yelling at each other. She was bewildered, her people don't usually act like this. Lynn stood back unsure what to do until the commotion died down.

Still uncertain about the other two's behavior she approached Varren. "Umm...excuse me but, do you know what that...hot light.. was?", She asked nervously.

"You think that was good? My record is around three months. Usually it happens about every other week because of stress or whatever." Kara said, still crying as she spoke. "My last explosion was a day or two after arriving in the castle. I'm surprised I haven't exploded before this honestly." She admitted.

Jak looked down quietly as Kara spoke, thinking on what it would be like to have to live with the fear like she did.

"If it's any consolation, I know what it's like to be ignored and looked down on." Jak said quietly, trying to comfort the girl as he explained part of his past to her. "I just got lucky with my parents picking me up when they did. If they hadn't then I'd probably be in prison or dead by now."

Kara just nodded at this, finally corking the small bottle as she managed to stop crying. This she put into her bag before pulling herself into a corner again and going silent.

For once Jak showed some foresight and didn't press Kara, instead going to the door and waiting near it.

"It's fire Lynn." Kara said quietly as the little winged being asked her question. "It's a form of energy, a terrible and destructive force." She said bitterly.

"It does have uses though." Jak said quietly. "It keeps you warm, it's a way for the old to die so that new things can grow, it's a purifier. On earth there are these trees that live in an area that almost always catches fire during the summer. The thing is that they are mostly resistant except for the old ones. They get burnt up, and drop seeds. The seeds dot open until flame cracks the shell for them and let's them begin to grow. Fire isn't just destruction, it's also life." He explained, directing the last part at Kara who chose to ignore the comment and instead just hunkered further in her corner.

Alina continued to try and play as Fren picked her up, attempting to dodge her mothers grasp as part of a game. When Fren finally got ahold of her and began to towel her off, Alina continued to squirm and giggle as Fren hit her ticklish spots as she was dried. Finally she was all done and stood clean on the floor. The moment the door opened she was out and attacking Varren's tail, playfully pouncing on it and batting it around with her claws. "I'm getting you Varren !" She yelled happily, jumping onto it and trying to hold on.

Varren nodded "Its alright Lynn, Kara controls fire but struggles with it at times. However all that's needed is patence and help for her to learn to control her powers." he said with a calm nod to Kara "And Kara? Jak is right on that front, Fire's not all bad. It can be both a destructive force, and a force that save's lives." he said with a nod and was about to say more but suddenly as soon as the bathroom door was open Alina was assulting his tail playfully. He smiled and wiggled it and when she jumped onto it and held onto his tail he wiggled it from side to give her a small challenge. He raised his torso "I'ma going to get you Alina." he said playfully back.

Fren came out of the bathroom and smiled seeing Varren playing with Alina. Granted.... looked odd due to his armor being on still. She paused frowning smelling the scent of burned things and looked around somewhat confused. Why where a few things burned? She shrugged though assuming Kara must of done it, for what reasons she did not know. But she knew Kara had to have some reasons for it.

"Tell that to the people I burned alive." Kara whispered as Varren and Jak tried to convince her of he benefits of fire. She knew better, she could still hear the screams...

Alina giggled happily and held on as right as she could, but was eventually thrown off of Varren's tail. She immediately changed course and jumped at Jak, bowling him over by throwing her weight at his legs and jumping onto him.

Jak laughed and played with her, careful to not hurt her wings. Finally she seemed to tire herself out and jumped up onto the bed where she sat waiting for the group to start again.

When the group finally got ready and moving though, Kara quietly asked for Alina to go with Jak for a few moments so that she could talk with Fren.

Alina looked back and forth between the two, confused at this change but finally followed Jak who shut the door partially.

"Fren, I can't help you with Alina anymore." Kara said quietly, playing with her red hair. "I know you can smell the fire, but I didn't do it on purpose. I can't control my fire Fren, I just can't. I've tried, I've studied, I've done everything, and I can't control it." She took a breath and looked up at Fren before averting her eyes just as quickly.

"I killed 368 people because I lost control Fren. I wiped out an entire human town because I couldn't maintain control. I can't even help myself, I don't know why I thought I could help you with Alina. I'm sorry I just can't do this when it puts everyone at risk."

As the group left the room Fren waited when Kara asked Alina to go with Jak so she could speak with Fren. She looked at Kara and listened as the girl told her she can't help with Alina anymore not with her own issues controlling her own powers.

She knelt to one knee to be closer to Kara's hight and put a hand on Kara's shoulder and nodded "My people have our own ability, we can mimic things and beings. However this can quickly prove fatal if done at the wrong time or if maintained too long. We litterly fall apart cell by cell into a pool, we have to manage and control every single cell in our body's. Otherwise we could never reform. This means we as a race need to learn very high levels of self control to maintain just our ability or use of it could kill us." she explained "Kara I know what threat you could pose you've already told me before. But you use your head you think before acting, there for I respect you and I still do. Your right it is dangerous to have you around Alina right now and thank you for admitting that." she said with a nod "If you'd like, I can try to find a way to teach you what my people taught me to harness your own ability." she offered. She'd need a way to get her hands on a Shatong computer, connect to it, and connect Kara as well with out frying her nerve system at the same time. A modified prison pod would do the try, but where would she find a Shatong prison pod here?

"Thinking before acting doesn't help this." Kara said, looking at the floor as she continued to play with her hair. "It's more then just dangerous for Alina though, it's dangerous for everyone. I was selfish when I joined the group, I should have just left well enough alone. Now I could end up killing you, Jak, Varren, Lynn and the last specimen of a species that polices the very planes of reality! That's not thinking ahead, that's just me wanting company Fren." Kara was getting emotianal again by now, and she knew it. Her eyes had begun to smolder and the ends of her hair had begun to smoke.

It took every ounce of self control Kara had to throw her emotions back into their cage, and she only just avoided another explosion.

She didn't comment on the fact that she had managed to contain herself that time, instead focusing on control.

"I guess we could try." Kara said quietly as Fren suggested her plan to give Kara help. "I don't know if it will help though, I think I might have a disorder or something. Maybe it makes it harder to control my fire." She shrugged and looked back at Fren. "How do we start?" She asked.

Fren shook her head "Kara if you continue to tell your self that then it will be so. Now, the issue with me giving you this kind of help is I need a way to transfer a few select memories to your mind. While some of them will seem completely useless since your not a Shatong with a mimic ability your self, it should help boost your ability to control your ability. Another fact is as well, sometimes one needs to defuse. You take.... that bathroom and seal it up but leave the water running, it will slowly fill up. Let it continue and pressure will eventually build up. Enough pressure and something is going to break. This can be applied to your ability as well. Perhaps you don't use it enough or let the..... build up lessen. Controlling does not always mean suppressing." she explained before Varren knocked on the door letting them know they where still waiting on them.

Fren glanced at the door then back to Kara "For now, when you can try to let your ability out a bit more often when you can. Once I have a way to transfer a few memory's to you then I can teach you a bit better." she said with a nod. She stood up and looked at the door. "You might of joined the group not thinking ahead, but it may still be a good thing, while you may have issues controlling your own powers, maybe methods that have helped you, might help Alina when hers develop more. As well, your not a reject with us." she said with a small smile at Kara before offering her hand "The others are waiting on us."

"I don't want to use my fire though." Kara whispered, looking at the floor in shame. "I don't want to hurt people."

She already knew what Fren was going to say to this and headed her off before the idea gained any traction. "It's not because I'm scared of it that I can't control it." She said quickly. "I've never been able to control it, it just started and hasn't ever stopped." She explained before starting slightly at the knock on the door.

Her lip trembled a little at Fren's words of comfort about her not being a reject, and finally took the scaly hand that was offered.

"Ok, I'll try my best to do what you say." Kara said before quickly hugging the Shatong. She let go very quickly and took a step back, but seemed to appreciate the contact.

"I burned someone by hugging them." Kara explained quietly as she followed Fren out of the room.

Outside Jak and Alina were playing a game that Alina seemed to have made up. They were currently staring hard at each other while poking the others hands. Alina had the slight advantage of harder scales, but both had claws although neither were poking particularly hard. Finally Jak blinked, causing Alina to laugh and declare herself the winner.

Jak scooped her up in rebuttal and began to tickle her, causing shrieks of laughter to come from Alina's mouth.

The moment Fren stepped over the doorstep though, Alina went running over to her and happily began telling her about the game she had invented, and the one that Jak had shown her which he called hangman.

"-It's really easy mommy, all you have to do is guess letters until you know the word! Fuzzy is pretty good but I win a lot too!" She explained.