Sweet_Wyvern

Mermaids and Mayhem

Grantaire stared at the woman on the beach then began trying to free himself from Namina's grip so he could flee. He didn't want to be here. He didn't want to talk. He wanted to run and swim away as fast as he could. He'd rather risk the open ocean than face this mermaid. "Let go," he whispered to Namina, trying to pull his arms free.

"No really." Ever said as Mathew walked off. As she saw the woman Ever looked down at her legs and saw they were scarred, "Can you tell him that they are merpeople?" she asked her, "He's blind and doesn't believe me."

Natalia walked up with a frown, gazing from the new woman to ther merpeople. "They all look terrified," she murmured to Ever, looking out to the mermaids again. Their clicks were faster and high pitched, and they all looked afraid.

"Yeah I wonder what that's about." Ever replied, "Perhaps it has something to do with this woman." she commented, "Who are you?" she asked what looked like a mermaid turned human.

The woman simply smirked. "My name is M'rellia. I was not the one who saved you, but that man change." She surveyed them more. "So you do indeed know what we are?" She asked, seeming unamused. "Have you met any of these before?"

She turned to the mer people while she waited. I encourage you not to flee. All that will be accomplished is that I will have to give chase. I do not wish to harm you at this point. All I am doing is surveying the damage...Now, what exactly happened?

Wait, were they telling the truth? Matthew frowned, his nose crinkling yet again. He looked around the area, squinting in an effort to clarify his vision. "No, we always assumed they were tales from mad sailors who spent too long on the sea." He answered. There was a pause, and his nearly sightless gaze hardened. "If this is some dirty trick on a blind man, shame on you. I just survived a bloody shipwreck for God's sake!" There was always that chance this was all a sham. Matthew couldn't see any proof for obvious, so he really didn't know.

Nimina turned to look at the struggling merman in her grasp, and released him with a soft apology. Her gaze returned to M'rellia quickly afterwards. She drew a shaky breath in an effort to calm herself. We were hunting, like we usually do, and we found a disturbance on our trip. It was a ship, its belly split in half. We could see survivors that would drown without our help...So we just helped them onto dry land. That's all, ma'am. Nimina chattered quickly.

(I can't picture Matthew as anything but an old man. I'm sorry xd.png )

Natalia looked over at M'rellia, then at the merpeople she was talking to. "All they did was save us.. And you're kind of freaking them out. You don't have to do that, were fine," she insisted.

Maktow shifted back and forth in the water, worrying his lower lip with his teeth. I.. Talked to them. But that's all we did, talk and move them to the shore! Anything else he said was lost in an undercurrent of whimpering from the youngest merman.

Grantaire flicked his tail nervously, considering his options. Eventually, despite the words of the woman, fear gave out. Quietly, he slipped into the water then turned tail and bolted as fast as he could. He had to find somewhere to hide where the scary woman couldn’t find him.

Then you have interferred... These humans may not return home. They cannot. Your pod will tend to them, or they will suffer. I will not kill them, or any of you. Just keep them safe and alive. she surveyed the humans. Who knows. These may make better mates... And do tell the one who ran.

She turned back to the humans. "Do not fret young ones. You are to stay here. These kinder folk will take care of you. We have plenty of hunting grounds and vegitation to sustain life here."

Maktow slowly stopped trembling, though he still looked like he might faint. So.. You won't hurt us? He asked hesitantly, body quaking. Watching them wouldn't be so bad. He liked humans.

Of course not. What would be the point? she wasn't using any kindly facial espression on though, just a blank face. If you forget though, the humans will die. Yo. Wanted hem alive, now you are bound to them.

Grantiare, naturally, didn't hear any of this. He was too busy swimming away as fast as he could. The mermaid was absolutely terrifying so he wasn't staying around any longer to find out what sort of punishment she'd give them. He was going to find a place to hide until she went away.

Swallowing thickly, Maktow nodded. He wouldn't abandon them, even if this was a punishment. He'd do his best and besides, now he was allowed to talk to humans whenever he wanted. This was a good thing, right?

Now they were stuck with these humans? Namina huffed, but didn't argue. She turned and raced off to catch Grantiare. It wouldn't be hard, since she was built for chasing and catching, but she had to be sure not to hurt him. That would be bad. Wait! We're safe! She isn't going to hurt us! Namina called after the fleeing merman.

Grantaire glanced over his slower then gradually slowed down and turned to face the mermaid. "How do you know? Maybe she's lying!" he grimaced then crossed his arms and hunched his shoulders slightly. "She's scary. I don't like it at all. Could be dangerous..."

"Oh, thank you!" Ever said glancing at Maktow where he swam in the water. As one of the mermaids swam off Ever looked back over at M'rellia, "What can we do for you?" she asked her, "You saved us and are taking care of us, we should give you something in return."

Maktow swam closer to the shore but gave M'rellia a wide berth, going towards Ever instead and giving a soft chirrup in greeting. "Maktow staying with you," he murmured, still clearly afraid.

"Ok." Ever said smiling, "How old are you?" Ever asked, "How old is Maktow? Ever is 17." Smiling Ever wondered at the chance that she would meet a merman, and have a conversation with him.

"Maktow is thirty cycles," he replied, looking up at her with wide red eyes. It was the equivalent of a fourteen year old, maybe younger. "Merpeople live long," Maktow explained, pulling himself into the shallows to chat with her better. He wasn't as afraid when the human was there.

"30." Ever thought for a moment, "That doesn't freak me out nearly as much a I thought it would." Ever told Maktow, "How long do merpeople live?" Ever asked wondering if he would understand. Looking out over the ocean Ever sighed, "The ocean is beautiful." Ever said glancing back at Maktow's deep red eyes. Edited by Raven301

I know, but it doesn't seem like we have a choice. She said we've gotta take care of these humans because we saved them. I don't wanna know what happens if we don't. Namina explained. She reached a clawed hand towards Grantiare slowly, and smiled faintly. It'll be okay, don't worry. Her gaze flickered towards Maktow and the humans momentarily. I mean, we should just take the humans back to land there's no way they can find us, and none of the other humans will believe their claims.

Maktow thought for a moment, wrinkling his nose in thought. "Long time. Maybe a thousand cycles. Usually less," he replied, looking out to sea with her. "Home," he sighed happily. He belonged no where else.

"Home." Ever repeated a bit sadly, home was tropical jungles and clear blue waters with wild horse herds and breezy treetop houses, "I wish you could see my home." she told Maktow, he would love the birds in so many colors and the monkeys that would be just as curious about him as he was of them.

Grantaire glanced down at the hand then accepted her words with a sigh. "Alright," he said as he started to swim back. "As long as there isn't a punishment for helping them. How many are there anyway? I know I saved a girl."