Sweet_Wyvern

Mermaids and Mayhem

"Thank you." Ever said her smile wider. Wading out of the water Ever sat down on the beach as Maktow swam out to help someone else. He seemed nice and had been kind enough to her before. Smiling again Ever gazed after the red streak that lingered just below the surface. I hope he comes back. Ever thought suddenly, What if he doesn't? she thought with a surge of panic Why did she care so much? She could survive on her own. Sighing Ever stopped worrying and her eyes soon unfocused and she wait for the merman's return.

Grantaire's tail flicked from side to side as he tried to think of words he knew humans said. Surely one of them had to work. He scrunched his nose up in thought only for a look of surprise to cross his face when his tail was touched. With an odd chirping noise, he scooted a few inches away and quickly looked his tail over. Mermen, like in spiders, tended to be the smaller and weaker of the species. The girls were seen much more often because they largely hunted and protected the weaker males. So, naturally, being touched by something he didn't know well would result in trying to move away. Running was always a good idea. He stared at the human nervously, torn between fleeing and staying. He hadn't actually been harmed... What had been her intent?

Eden's senses tingled, and he shook his head. Strange. His senses usually reacted when one of his kind was around, but there wasn't a merperson in sight.

'The surface, what's up there?' Eden wondered. 'Is there something up there? On of my kind?' Curious, he decided to swim upwards, to the point where his torso was above the water. In the distance, he could see a strip of yellow, and tiny dots. 'Others? I'll swim closer.'

~

After a good amount of swimming, Eden was closer to the strip, and he noticed that one of the dots was a merperson. A...blonde one. The other...thing was without a tail, and was lying on the strip of sand.

Then, Eden climbed up onto a nearby rock, and sat there. /"Oi!"/ Eden yelled. /"Are you one of us?"/

Edited by XiaoChibi

Matthew didn't know what happened. He heard disturbances, and then water started rushing in. He flailed about to find something to grasp onto above water, and then clung onto it. The split belly of the ship offered little to hang onto, which was why he lay on top of a partially intact table. Matthew was tired, scared, and his limited vision wasn't helping any. With each wave, he clung onto the splintered wood of the damaged table.

A dark shape that had been skirting the edges of the pond approached steadily closer until it was in sight. It was longer than the other mermen and possessed a different styled tail as well. What's going on? I heard all of you and that commotion, but I was too far away to see what happened. Namina asked nobody in particular. She stuck her head out of the water to ask the same thing again. Oh. A ship had sunk. Were they helping the inhabitants or something?

Natalia retracted her hand immediately, some color rising to her cheeks in embarrassment. "I.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have," she murmured, even though he didn't understand her. For some reason she was compelled to just keep talking even if he was clueless as to what she was saying. An odd chirruping noise made her look up- and there was another one! It took her breath away. "How many of there are you?" She breathed, waving at the female.

Turning her head Ever saw another merman sitting on a rock someways down the beach. Standing up Ever began slowly walking towards it "Hello?" she called out wondering if its english was any better than Maktow's.

Sorry? Oh, he knew that one! It was supposed to be like an apology. He slowly moved back over to her and nodded his head slightly. "It's fiiine," he said, still struggling with the words even though he had known the answer. He turned out towards sea and tilted his head slightly to the side. "It's a human. I rescued her." he beamed with pride then turned his head to stare at the other human walking down the beach. Instead of diving back into the water, he moved a bit closer to Natalia and watched the human approach. "Ello," he repeated, getting a bit closer to saying the word, though he still had problems with the H.

Natalia smiled slightly at his response, pleased that he was trying to talk to her. She wouldn't try to touch his tail again, but she couldn't help but look at it. He seemed afraid of the new human, though she didn't touch him for fear of scaring him again. "Heh, hello. You can do it. Heh. Don't forget the heh," she encouraged.

When an answer came, Namina dove back under the waves. She raced underwater and to the rest of the wreck to find another human. He didn't seem to see her, but noticed she was there. "Help me...I don't know what's going on." Matthew pleaded. Namina tilted her head to the side as she processed what he said. Translating took a little while for her.

I found one, but I'm going to need some help! I'm afraid I'm gonna hurt him if I try to pick him up! Having claws for nails wasn't exactly a good thing all the time. They weren't as long as her siblings', but were sharp enough to draw blood.

Maktow looked over to see that Namina was struggling with another human. He made a stay put motion at Claire before diving back under the waves and swimming towards the human. "Use your arms to grab him, help me pull him up," Maktow suggested, grabbing Mathew beneath the arms and swimming upward.

Natalia looked over at Eden again, startled that he was talking. "I.. No. You can speak English?" She asked, looking over at him. He looked different than the one hovering over her.

Namina did as she was told, and lifted Matthew by his legs. The man let out a startled cry as he was lifted, but didn't struggle. He was being helped, even if all of this was confusing. The dolphin-like clicks was the strangest of it all, because the people lifting him definitely weren't dolphins. "Thank you for the help. Now, let's see if we can't get him with the others on the sandbar." Namina replied. She began to swim towards the strip of land, slowly because Maktow was going backwards.

Maktow gave a curt nod and made sure to keep the man's head aloft, swimming backwards with heavy strokes of his tail to get them to the shore. "Man.. Okay?" He asked, concerned that he was hurt. He was very proud of his fluency in Human.

"What? Yes, yes I'm fine, thank you. If either of you happen to fid a walking stick among the wreckage, it would be greatly appreciated if it is returned to me." Matthew answered. He soon felt his legs lowered onto ground, and then straightened himself out of Maktow's grip. He could hear other people talking around him. He squinted at the two figures that had saved him, trying to make out their appearance. "I have glasses as well, but those are rubbish. You see, I have a condition where I will be blind by the end of this year. I usually get around with the assistance of my walking stick."

Namina glanced over at Maktow. He was much better at understanding and speaking human than she. Some words she could understand, but most of them she couldn't.

Maktow scrunched up his nose, trying to understand what the human was saying. "Human need stick," he echoed slowly and carefully, "and.. Glass?" Why on earth did he need glass to see? He looked over at Namina. He needs a stick and glass, he told her, utterly confused.

Grantaire managed to produce a sound similar to a cat coughing up a hairball then made an unhappy face. This was hard. Where was Maktow? He was better than this than he was. He looked over at the mermaid on the rock that he didn't recognize then started shuffling towards the water. "Maktow!" he yelled, trying to find the other merman. Where had he even gone?

Mathew frowned. Did he not understand? Apparently not. "Yes, a large, carved stick. Please see if you can't find it." He confirmed. Namina tilted her her head to the side, and dove back underwater. A stick? She could find a stick in the boat! She swam among the wreckage in search of a stick. ONe was located in a large room, and had floated to the top. It was about half as tall as a human, and it looked as good of a stick as any. Namina surfaced beside Maktow, and offered the stick to the merman. "St-iiick." She managed after a moment.

Maktow took the stick, feeling it before putting it into the man's hand. "Sti-ick," he repeated to him, smiling because it seemed to be what he wanted . For what reason he wasn't sure. A yell made him turn. "I'm here! Found another!" he called to Grantaire.

When the familiar texture of his walking stick was in one hand, Matthew smiled. He slowly stood up, using the walking stick to feel what was around him. "Thank you." He turned to where he thought his saviors were. This was wrong, though, as he was facing the rest of the survivors on the small island and not the merpeople. He could make out figures, so he figured they were the same people.

Grantaire glanced back at the human then at the mermaid on the rocks nearby. He frowned slightly then gestured to her to follow. What was that word again? "Allons-y," he managed to say, then started sliding down the beach rather like a seal would. "You speak human, right?" he yelled back to Maktow.

Maktow chirruped, "Good a bye!" to the human and pushed back out into the water, swimming through the surf towards Grantaire. He was always scolded for watching humans, but now it paid off! "Yup!" He agreed as he reached his new friend, swimming in happy corkscrews.

Grantaire quickly went into the water as well, wincing slightly as his tail slid in. His tail had been rubbed raw in several places from dragging himself across the beach. He swam over to where Maktow was and gestured to the girl he had rescued. "Can you make sure she's alright?" he asked.

Ever frowned as Maktow and one of the other mermen had a sm ll conversation n their language. Walking over to he edge of the beach Ever saw Mathew with his walking stick now, "Do you need your glasses?" She asked walking over to him, "Do the mermaids understand what the are? Your name is Mathew right?"