Sweet_Wyvern

Mermaids and Mayhem

As Claire struggled to get to shore, a man she'd never seen was coming towards her. 'Who are these people?' She thought to herself. But before he could come closer, Claire saw him focus on something else in the distance. "Stay." He said to her as he swam off. Before she could object, her eyes came to something just below the water. 'A man...a man with a human torso and a fin instead of legs. Could the fairytales be true? ' Claire thought, looking at the man. She wasn't particularly attracted to the man, Claire was just mystified by his existence. Were there more?

Matthew nodded as somebody asked him a question. "They aren't of much use to me, but they help me see some." he confirmed. His nose crinkled at the word "mermaid". Mermaids? They weren't real! Being nearly blind, the young man was only able to distinguish a human shape, and assumed they were foreigners who didn't know English well. "Mermaids? Are you alright, ma'am?"

Namina swam off after gathering the requested stick, and instead followed Maktow and Grantiare to another human. There were many females, but it seemed as if there was only one male human. How strange. Perhaps they would find more later. Namina pulled herself onto shore, digging her clawed hands into the ground to haul herself up. How many humans are there in total? Unlike the other mermen, she looked much more savage than them. Her scales were much harder and more armor-based, and sharp spines ran along the back of her tail. Not only that, but her tail was oriented like a fish's, and was fanned at the end. Fins adorned her arms and around her ears, and her eyes were a solid white. These were the only main differences from her friends, minus the fact she was tinted blue.

Maktow dipped his head and swam towards the blonde girl. Natalia stared at the merman with a red and black tail, edging backwards in fear. He looked sort of scary.. That is until he popped his head back up and chattered to her in friendly manner. "Human is okay?" He asked, smiling when she nodded. Then he was off, rather cheerful in this urgent situation. "She's okay!" He declared to Grantaire, swimming back towards Claire to start pushing her wood towards land again. He chirruped at her with a smile.

Claire watched as the man began to push her board to shore, and she was grateful for his kindness. "Thank you." She said to him. 'I wonder if he knows English.'

Maktow gave a happy slap of his tail against the surface of the water. "Human is welcome! Maktow likes to help," he managed to reply, hoping he got that right. He didn't understand the difference between I and Maktow, he assumed it meant the same thing. Of course, when he spoke in his own language he didn't sound this childish.

Grantaire nodded then looked about. It seemed as if they had rescued everyone they could. And Namina had joined them. He flipped onto his back and swam closer to her, a sheepish smile on his face. "I know we're supposed to stay away and avoid humans but they needed help. You aren't mad, right?" he smiled at the mermaid on the beach. She was a lot bigger than he and also stronger. Usually, he followed the females without any problem but he had completely ignored the don't touch policy in regards to humans. Hopefully she wouldn't be angry. She didn't look angry, at least.

'Just as I thought...mermaids! ...Wait, he's a man...mermen? I dunno. Maybe...maybe a sign! Doesn't speak English though...curious, he is. What was his name...? Mackerel?' Claire looked at Maktow, completely oblivious to the actuality of the situation. "My name is Claire. Nice to meet you...Mackerel!" She said to Maktow, clearly getting his name wrong. Edited by PeachSapling89

Maktow wrinkled his nose in confusion. The sounds weren't translating right.. Maybe she wasn't getting it right. "Not Mackerel. Maktow," he corrected, slowing down as they reached the shore. "Claire is okay?" He wasn't even considering the punishment he could get, just thrilled that he finally got to meet humans up close.

'Doh! There goes forgetful ole' me again! Claire thought. "Yes, I am fine Maktow. Thank you." She said with a smile. When the water was shallow enough, she gently slid out and walked to shore.

Namina coiled herself like a snake on the sand, finding it much more comfortable than just laying down. She smiled back at Grantaire, and pushed her silvery-blue hair off her shoulders. Hmm? No, I suppose not. It wouldn't be right to let them drown. I usually don't stay too close to your pod, because I'm supposed to protect it. The other banshees are too rough, so I figured I would protect your pod. She took this time to run her long claws through her hair to brush it. Like all mermaids, Namina liked to bask, comb her hair, and occasionally sing, but she usually didn't as much as others her age. Maybe it was a thing with subspecies. Banshees (called Sirens in other regions) usually resided in deeper, darker waters where everything is just as viscous as they are. But Namina enjoyed the sunlight, and didn't like all the dangerous fish that lurked deep underwater. Lots of them were bigger and meaner than she. You don't mind, do you?

Maktow waved as she walked up on the beach, then turned and dove back in, swimming back to Grantaire and their protector. Of course males were weaker- in fact, he detested fighting. Humming, he popped up near them and pushed long hair out of his eyes. Can you believe it? They talked to us! I have so many questions to ask- oh, do you think they'll let me talk to them again? He chattered, rising and sinking with the waves.

A resounding screech rang from the water, like snarl rippling through the air. It was signaling than someone, somewhere, had done wrong. There would be consequences.

At the sound, Namina tensed. She slid back into the water quickly. No, I don't believe so. We must leave, that cry was probably for us...Oh, we shouldn't have done this! She fretted. The Siren swam in nervous circles, waiting for the others to join her. To signal they needed to leave, Namina screeched once at an incredibly low tone for a Siren. We saved them, now we must go before something happens! The poor mermaid was skipping whole octaves in her stress.

Maktow went rigid, quaking with fear. Not good! Making high pitched tones in his distress, he flitted closer to Namina, hoping to be protected. He sure couldn't out swim the owner of that harsh cry, that was for sure.

Grantaire turned remarkably pale at the snarling call, unable to answer any further questions. He turned away from the two and instead swam swiftly towards rocks by the shore, hoping to hide among them. Fleeing was better than staying and getting in trouble so he quickly flopped into and dragged himself up into the rocks, hoping to hide there from the owner of the angry snarl.

Oh I guess he couldn't tell. Ever thought as Mathew looked at her with some concern. "Uhhh yeah, the people who saved us though are mermaids." Ever explained, "Or mostly mermen for what I've seen." As she heard the cry Ever looked over at Maktow, "Maktow what was that?" She asked him worriedly as his mood quickly switched from excitement to fear. Edited by Raven301

Namina let out another cry to notify Grantaire, before diving back underwater. They needed to leave, but she didn't want to leave her new friends behind. She hadn't realy spoken with them until now. Come on! We've got to go! she urged.

Maktow sped after Namina, ignoring the cries of the humans above water. They were talking but he was too panicked to translate, too terrified. He couldn't even formulate words in his own language- the scared young merman could only whimper and beat his tail powerfully to try and get away.

Like a young deer petrified in the road, Grantaire sat frozen on the rock. He had managed to pull his entire body out of the water and now sat with his tail resting on the higher part and his arms stiff and locked in place to prevent him from falling in the water. His gold hair fell in front of his eyes, making it pretty hard to see. "Can't move," he whispered, petrified in place as his eyes searched the surface of the water. He was right near the beach so, if he had to, he could probably retreat onto the sand. But for now he was frozen in place.

Namina swam to the shallows to meet Grantiare, and tugged him deeper into the water Come on! she hissed. Petrified by fear or not, he was coming with them. She dragged the smaller merman along as she fled, able to carry him without a problem. Snap out of it! We need to go!

A mermaid quickly flitted through the water, before slowly rising the shore. Once she had done so, the mistake was obvious. She looked like a mermaid, but no scales, her human legs had scars down the sides, as if her tail had been split into feet. "Are you quite alright." She asked the humans, clearer English than the merpeople that had saved them. "Do stay." she said to the saviors, almost like they were children who had something to attend to.

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Grantaire whimpered and clung to the mermaid's arm as she dragged him along. Since he was being dragged, he was able to see the mermaid rise up onto the shore and address the humans. At her request, he quickly shook his head from side to side and urged the others to go faster.

Maktow whimpered, freezing in place. He knew he should swim away, and fast, but she had given an order. So why did he feel complied to obey? He edged forward, terror clear in his posture. We.. We were just helping, he managed, plucking at the fin on his elbow.

Namina too slowed to a stop and turned around. Warily, she made her way back towards the shore and to this new mermaid. Once in shallow enough water, she lifted her head to gaze at the new woman. We're incredibly sorry, ma'am, we swear! We just didn't want to see the humans drown! she clicked nervously.

Matthew rolled his eyes at ever. "You must be mental. A downright loon you are! Go spew this rubbish on someone else!" scoffed. a new voice made him turn. Ah, someone who sounded sane! Maybe she had been one of their saviors! Carefully, he walked towards the new woman, testing the ground before he took a step. It kept him from falling into the water multiple times."Yes, thank you. Thank you for the concern. I assume you are one of the several that rescued us?" Being legally blind had its disadvantages.

"...kind of," Eden replied, shaking his head. "Name?"

All of a sudden, a strange sound began to bother Eden's ears. He ignored the fear that was creeping up his back.

"What are you?" he whimpered, covering his face.