Fortune86

PLEASE CLOSE ~ DEAD

"Alive is good," Selena smiled back at Helios, picking up on any subtle hint that he was still suffering from the life-threatening injury she had healed him of the previous day. There was still a hint of paleness around him - clearly not quite enough blood back in the system - but not life-threatening. He'd probably not feel it, and a good warm breakfast after a sold night's sleep was probably better than any herbs in her pouch. The other students were also in one piece, though she did find herself feeling just a touch more concern for Helios than she'd expected. Chalking it up to professionalism she relaxed in her seat and listened in to her fellow students.

Diana flopped down in the seat, glancing down at her porridge. It wasn't her favourite breakfast, but it was filling and warm. She spooned up some and started eating. "I think you will all enjoy today's lesson more than yesterday's," she said, giving the meal a bit of a stir. Glancing across to Selena, she smiled before eating some more. "Training will be at the school today."

“So do you think these people pray to this god?” Bastian asked as he followed Arthur. “If they do they might think summoners are the pest and not the monsters.”

~~

“Oh thats a relief.” Bella spoke out loud as she finished her porridge. “It really isn’t all that fun being chased by really big monsters and Abominations.”

"I do not know" said Arthur. "But if they intend to cause harm they must be stopped. I was planning on visiting the Temple and seeing what I could learn from the priests there. Will you accompany me?"

~~~

Helios was also relived to hear that they would be staying at the school that day. He didn't feel up to another excursion just yet.

"What will we be learning today?" he asked.

Diana came in and sat down with the rest of the school as Sandy finished his porridge. She brought reliving news that they weren't going out today.

"Well, thats good" Sandy said, but i saw a lot of dangerous stuff happening during training on the first day he finished in his head. "So what are we going to do?" Sandor asked

((sorry for the short post. You probably wouldn't believe me if i told you how many times i rewrote the last sentence.))

[[sorry, I got a bit busy and distracted this week. Apologies if I'm wrong on anything. Is it just porridge for the breakfast?]]

Atani ignored the inquisitive glances that the other students made, moving to grab a bowl of whatever was being served and then sitting at a separate table. Conversation and basic socialization was something she did not look forward to and intended to make that clear.

On the other hand, Sorana hesitated, smiling shyly at the others. "H-Hello...," she started, flushing with nervousness. So many sets of eyes and all of them focused on the new arrivals. At least, as more people entered the room - another girl and two teachers (so it seemed) - Sorana began to relax since their attention was split amongst themselves. She quickly took the distraction to get herself some of the food and then sat down, after some uncertainty, next to the boy who asked about her and Atani's elements. "Well, I'm not certain about Atani but, I'm of Wind. I'm Sorana, by the way. What about you?" she asked in turn, carefully setting her bag down at her feet.

There was mention of an Abomination and then Atani was more interested in talking. "Really? Ya got t' fight some creature? Well, censorkip.gif!" she exclaimed, smirking. "Wha' was it like? Was it big an' violent? Oh! Was it covered in vicious claws and spikes?"

Selena returned Diane's smile as she looked at the two new students, guessing they must have arrived overnight or potentially during yesterday's training exercise - an exercise that had gone tragically wrong. It was clear that one of the two new girls - Atani? - had not yet heard about this, although she did feel just a touch uncomfortable at how this girl seemed to find the idea of a fight...exciting. Perhaps it was just her personality or her calling but Selena, for all her combat experience, had never looked forward to a fight. For her, combat should be an option explored when negotiations broke down or another path could not be walked, or in self-defense as it had been the previous day. But it would be unfair to judge the girl on just those comments.

"People died in that fight," she said, her voice quiet yet firm as she looked down the table at the younger woman. "And we suffered injuries of our own." She paused to let that sink in. "But yes, it was big and violent and covered in spikes and claws."

Diana looked across at the two boys, mildly amused by their questions in quick succession. "You're going to deal with some monsters; learn how to identify them and such. I'll explain it all when we're gathered together." She said tthe last bit with a careless wave of her spoon, which lead to her flicking a bit of porridge on her nose. Frowning and squinting down, she took a serviette and quickly wiped it off. That hadn't been intended. Having been distracted, she hadn't really heard the question of the newcomer - Selena beat her to the answer. Oh. It must have been about the Abomination. "They're nothing to be excited about. Worst things since the Titans," she muttered, absorbed in her porridge once more.

Helios felt a little wary when informed that they would be learning about monsters in greater detail. He had a feeling it would be a practical lesson, and he wasn't sure he was ready for that. All he really wanted to do was stay away from the damn things.

When Atani asked about the Abomination they had the day faced before Helios felt that she was just a little too excited. Fear or awe he could understand, but not eagerness. It was Selena though that pointed out people had died and he was grateful for the older girl taking charge of the conversation.

"Which training area will we be in?" he asked Diana.

((One.))

"I'm Sandor. My element is darkness" Sandor replied to Sorana. So her element is wind Sandor thought. At first, he had thought wind was one of the much weaker elements, but a military summoner he met on the ay to the school changed his views on that. The abomination from the day before solidified that new opinion. "So what kind of fiend do you have?" Sandor asked "is it big enough to ride?"

((soo busy with homse work, i'm sorry for the short posts. Also, like 5. or more.))

Diana finished off her porridge, thinking for a moment before answering. "One? Yes, Area One," she said with a nod. Her eyes sweeped down the table - it seemed that everyone was here. No point in assembling everyone in the meeting room again. "Hear that, people? Area One!" Her bright eyes darted down to Selena as she rose. "I would like you to be there as well please, just in case," she added. With that, she turned and loped out of the door and into the kitchen.

After quickly washing up her plate, she hurried out of the door and down the path to the Training Areas. With a whisper and a gentle motion of her hand, her Fiend joined her in the still chilly morning air.

"Of course," Selena smiled graciously to Diane, rising from the table and nodding to the other students. "I shall see you there momentarily."

While she didn't expect there to be any great battles that morning Selena wasn't about to take for granted that whatever monsters they had to identify would be fully-controlled and docile. Stopping by her room she threaded her kopis to her belt, and then from the infirmary grabbed her satchel. She forwent her armour and instead remained in the plain green dress as she made her way to Training Area One, wondering if she would learn anything new today and quietly hoping so. While she had made herself familiar with many of the creatures that walked their lands she doubted she'd seen everything.

Well, it seemed like they needed to get a move on.

Helios put his bowl and spoon with the other dirty dishes to be collected later and then went back to his dorm. Grabbing his bow he slung it over his shoulder and then fixed on his quiver. He knew weapons didn't have much affect on monsters, but considering his own lack of expertise in battle it wouldn't hurt to have a back up plan, even if only as a distraction.

Moments later he was joining Selene on her way to the training area. He held open the gate and stepped in after her, but stepped back a bit when he saw what was chained up and waiting for them.

There were eight different monsters of various shapes and sizes. Some were held in sturdy wooden cages and others were bound by heavy metal chains.

"I hope we don't have to try and fight all of them at once" he mumbled.

Favouring Helios a smile Selena thanked him for holding the gate for her as they stepped into the training grounds, stopping just to one side so that others would be able to enter unobstructed. Casting an eye over the eight monsters she let her hand drift to the hilt of her blade and rest there; while she was sure they were well-bound she wasn't going to be entirely at ease with so many at close quarters.

"I'm sure we won't," she replied quietly. "Even if we did, you have Cerebus to aid you as well as myself, Vulpis, and the others. You would not be alone."

Castian awoke in a white clad room not much different than the room the day before, yet this place was indeed different. The man groaned as he began to push himself up into a sitting position. He grunted and his face twisted as pure agony tendriled through his fragile body. The stubborn summoner slowly climbed out of his bed and he shuffled slowly from the room to find a bathroom. The halls were empty at that moment, otherwise he was sure someone would have tried to stop him.

Once he found a restroom, he stood in front of a crude mirror. Dark brown eyes stared at his disgruntled form with shock and disbelief. He was covered in bandages, but for the most part he was clean. More importantly, he was alive.

A hand ghosted down across his chest and he brushed his fingers against the stone embedded within his flesh. He shuddered, remembering those grimy hands and silver blades that had attempted to dig it from his body while his heart still beat.

No one could know what happened. That would lead to trouble, and Castian didn't want trouble. He wandered out and he grabbed the first available shirt that caught his gaze. Hopefully no one would miss the white fabric. The young man needed to leave here, least those who had attempted to take his life earlier return...

```

A rather frantic looking wrong girl ran toward the school just looming over the school. The summoner was one of theirs, and one of the acting physicians had sent her to inform the teachers that the boy was missing....

Sheridan was sweeping up in the courtyard when the sound of footsteps made him look round. Peering through the gate he saw a girl racing up the pathway towards the school. She looked so panicky he instantly assumed the worst.

Dropping his broom he leapt forward and yanked open the gate?

"What is it? A monster? Abomination?"

“Of course.” Said Bastian nodding to his friends request but if there were people out to get summoners then they need to be a bit more careful. They needed to blend in.

“I know you might not like this but if there are people out to get us then they will most likely keep an eye on some of us. I suggest we blend in. Get some temple robes and pretend to be priests and I know exactly where to get them.”

~~

Bella quickly placed her empty blow by the other dirty dishes. She didn’t know if she was excited to see today’s lesson or scared on what monsters they might be fighting. None the less she followed her fellow students to training area one hoping that today will end well.

“I wonder when Bastian will come back? I mean isn’t he like the scout to make sure we don’t mess up or something?” Bella asked to the group.

Anyone else would have at least raised an eyebrow at this declaration, but there was a reason Arthur's element was ice. While the long hooded robes many of the priests wore would keep them from being easily detected, it could cause further problems if they were discovered. They could deal with that later though.

"Very well" he agreed. "Let us depart."

~~~

When Bella joined the waiting group Helios just shrugged. He wasn't feeling too friendly with Bastain at the moment, not since he had attacked and fought with Imari, but he assumed that Terrance would free him sooner or later. His only issue was that this left them in the care of Diana.

The girl gasped for breath, her head shaking quickly.

"No. No. There.. was.. a boy. He was supposed to be brought here.. today."

Sarah leaned over, her palms resting on her knees as she worked to regain her breath.

"But, when the summoner came to pick him up, they never found him. We were wondering if he had come here on his own?"

Sheridan frowned.

"Not that I know of. I just opened the gates now. They didn't come up this way."

He looked thoughtfully up at the sky. Even if their fiend was capable of flight, he was sure he would have seen it arrive.

Looking back at the girl he asked "What does this boy look like?"

"He has long black hair to his shoulders." The girl scrunched her nose. What exactly did the boy look like? She had only seen him a couple times.

After a second, her eyed fluttered shut as she tried to recall the strange man's appearance.

"He had dark blue eyes I think? Oh! There was a tattoo on his left arm!"

The girl got on her tip toes and she held her palm in the air. "He was also about this tall. Your summoner who worked here at the school spoke to him, she might know more? We are rather worried about him. He had a rather nasty bruise and lacerations around his crystal."

"Okay then girl, stay here. I'll go and speak with Diana. Catch your breath."

Sheridan left the girl at the gates and picked up his broom as he passed it. Walking across the courtyard he headed straight for Training Area One, where he hoped he might find the Summoner instructor.

Finding Bella, Helios and Selena he scowled. Where was that woman?

"Anyone seen Diana? Some kid she was expecting has gone missing."

"Missing?" A sudden, cold fear gripped Selena -

mob-rule, a crushed crystal among the other many wounds, fear rising in the hearts of others, a body cold on the stones, 'no more summoners...'

- and she shot a look to young Helios before stepping forward. "Sheridan, she should be here in a moment; I would suggest waiting here for her rather than trying to find her, else you would end up walking circles around each other. And I must ask you - has there been a message from Doctor Kholes? Or any other students who did not turn up when promised they would be here?"

[[i plan to post soon. |D Just let me settle in at home and get caught up.]]

Atani

Atani snorted, sitting back in her seat again. "Just because a creature is horrible doesn't mean you can't appreciate it for what it is in essence," she remarked. She loved beasts just as much as she could hate the dangerous ones. Yes, she had awe for the strange creatures. Yes, she would have fear at the appropriate times. Would she admit her fear out loud to others? Of course not. "It's much like bad weather. You can hate rain and snow all you like but, you can't deny how the water nourishes the fields and replenishes our wells."

Sorana

Darkness? "It's nice to meet you Sandor," Sorana responded, smiling. Then he asked about her beast. "Well, I've only seen it a couple of times when I accidentally summon it. She's this wonderful looking, canine-like creature with long fur and wing membranes on her forelegs. She's large enough, I think, to carry an adult and a child? So, maybe she can carry both of us?"

Training Area One. The others were starting to get up and move out to the area so Sorana and, eventually, Atani, did the same. The girls left their used dishes with the rest, following everyone else outside. Once there, Sorana hesitated in nervousness at the sight of the eight chained or caged creatures. Atani, on the other hand, grinned with something akin to excitement.

That old janitor came up to their group and started speaking with Selena. Something about a lost student? Sorana glanced at the others, turning her gaze back to Sheridan and listening with worry.

Edited by Narvix

Diana came trotting in through the gate to Area One, looking slightly ruffled. She'd had a peek in on Area Three on a hunch - once again, some Roflits had made their nest in the large oak tree they used for climbing practice. They were small, not particularly threatening monsters; but they were annoying buggers, and could certainly do damage to an inexperienced student. She smiled when she saw that everyone was there, but her expression faded as she saw theirs. Sheridan was there, too - something about a student? "What's going on?"