TJ09

2013-09-08 - September Release

I've done it again- managed to nab one of each!! I'm egglocked now since I'm new, so that's it for me! Whew, didn't expect to get any since I'm playing on mobile and 4g!!!! c:

Have fun and good luck, all still hunting!!!

Guys? I remember that those of us with better connections would offer to be "hunters" (I used to be one of those poor souls, Umbreonage got me my trios back when they were released.) for others. Is that still a thing? Sorry, haven't been around for a while. I guess it's one way to avoid the whining and negative feelings.

*is one of the original ones* smile.gif

I remember it quite well xd.png It was fun too because helping people with slow connections (slow, not lazy) was so rewarding. I don't know if its allowed nowadays (besides, it wasn't allowed anyway to begin with) though.

Guys? I remember that those of us with better connections would offer to be "hunters" (I used to be one of those poor souls, Umbreonage got me my trios back when they were released.) for others. Is that still a thing? Sorry, haven't been around for a while. I guess it's one way to avoid the whining and negative feelings.

I often see new release eggs (usually offered for a dummy trade egg to avoid cheating) on the departure board. It's probably not enough to make everyone happy but it's still very nice. smile.gif

I was so happy when the hybrids came out because I could finally gift something too. laugh.gif

Heya Syph! And thanks Rulenne and Plated, I got a whole lot of re-adjusting to do.

I do understand how it would be time consuming, I myself still have homework than needs to be done plus other obligations. To be honest I WAS surprised with the difficulty of catching eggs that were released back in May so I guess the difficulty of obtaining them has indeed increased.

Anyway, I go get a last Costal and then I'm done. Aforementioned homework, ye' see. Good luck fellows!

Yep, got all mine. Take care and don't overdo it guys!

Edited by flitzthesoulreaper

blink.gif After I got nothing the first half hour the new eggs dropped, I now locked my scroll with the ones at the coast within one 5-minute drop. Seems like I have to wait five hours now to be able to hunt the new Desert eggs, too xd.png

Thanks to TJ and spriters for the lovely eggs!

I am curious about what the adult of the desert egg would be. If only judged by the shell, they would be dragons live in water but now they are found in desert.

There is a New Release Gifting Force, but they aren't open until a while after the release, so peeps have to wait before they can ask for help.

Thank you for the link Rune, although I believe what Flitz was talking about was back during whenever new release is coming up, people with fast connections help other people grab eggs in their scrolls. It was all the buzz back then since a lot couldn't grab holiday releases. It went out of favor when TJ finally said a big NO since some people's scrolls were getting hacked. *which is why there's a tougher way to hack accounts now*

I agree there weren't many being dropped at first, but I've just been going through two of the old release posts and in both of those there were issues with the cave/not enough eggs, and something seemed to adjust about 2 hours in where suddenly people came back and reported that something in the cave had changed from 5 minutes before and then you start seeing people egglock.

Not everyone, of course. There's always a part of the playing population that struggles throughout the release (which I definitely think needs to be addressed). But I think that there does seem to be a delayed change in the cave that is so abrupt that you can actually pinpoint the time in the release threads and then see the reports build of people locking. Like I said, I'm going to try to keep track, because if it's true then it would be good to know for the folks who I see genuinely distressed at the first drop and then full a few hours later.

Super, and thanks for the research, skauble .

I'll be interested to read the results - but, of course, your well-considered posts are always of interest.

It was always somewhat controversial. Even back during the Christmas 2008 release there was a big debate about whether fast people staying in the cave and hunting for slow people was truly aleviating the problem or just shifting it to another group of players by now making them the slowest in the cave (given that the slowest players now had the fastest players hunting for them).

Then, IIRC, someone did the thing where they gave someone their password (or a temp one) to catch on their scroll and the person did something to it and all of the catching threads were banned from the forum because they did encourage passing on your scroll password to other players which really isn't safe and the site couldn't encourage, even just tacitly.

Then came the issue of being on other people's scrolls being seen as multi-scrolling. There was a period when lots of people were making multi-scrolls as people figured out NDs, and so it became more of an issue.

And really, once we had teleport it just seemed like it was better for the site to come out against the practice given that there was a way to safely send an egg from one player to another. Also, it does get people out of the cave for 5 hours, which is part of the point of scroll limits.

OMG BLUE<3

I'll be trying to spam my scroll with these pretties in an hour or two, I just woke up only to check the news.

Sooo, out of seven clicks on different eggs in desert, I got one egg and three overburdened messages. My current connection isn't fast (1.31 Mbps download speed) and I haven't waited until the end of the drop.

Catching eggs in the first hours is probably harder because of all the people that get up early to hunt. But, I don't think anyone should have to hunt longer then half an hour at this point.

It was always somewhat controversial. Even back during the Christmas 2008 release there was a big debate about whether fast people staying in the cave and hunting for slow people was truly aleviating the problem or just shifting it to another group of players by now making them the slowest in the cave (given that the slowest players now had the fastest players hunting for them).

Then, IIRC, someone did the thing where they gave someone their password (or a temp one) to catch on their scroll and the person did something to it and all of the catching threads were banned from the forum because they did encourage passing on your scroll password to other players which really isn't safe and the site couldn't encourage, even just tacitly.

Then came the issue of being on other people's scrolls being seen as multi-scrolling. There was a period when lots of people were making multi-scrolls as people figured out NDs, and so it became more of an issue.

And really, once we had teleport it just seemed like it was better for the site to come out against the practice given that there was a way to safely send an egg from one player to another. Also, it does get people out of the cave for 5 hours, which is part of the point of scroll limits.

Thank you for the eloquent explanation skauble! I think you covered everything major that happened during that time.

Yay! I caught a coast one already and now have to wait for my eggs to hatch. smile.gif

I'm so glad DC seems to have finally stopped acting up for me. *knocks on wood* It's been extremely slow for an eternity and now has become faster.

I've got my eggs, now off to bed. Once I'm unlocked I'll do my best to gift extras to others smile.gif Happy hunting

WOW

that was easy! ohmy.gif

I was able to get a pair of both the desert and the costal ones within 10 minutes!

And now i have to wait for some eggs to hatch before trying for some more. biggrin.gif

Good luck to the rest, who're still out there hunting!

And thanks to all, who made this release possible due to their hard work!

Super, and thanks for the research, skauble .

I'll be interested to read the results - but, of course, your well-considered posts are always of interest.

Thanks. smile.gif

I will say that it was kind of eye opening to read through the Gilded Bloodscale/Soul Peace release thread. Even with the problems people were much more relaxed and having a lot more fun.

I've said for a while now that I think that there's merit in the new release format with frequent releases and eggs mixing in sooner, as I think it's a good way to extend game play by having it take longer to catch dragons. But the thing is that the dragons actually have to be reasonably catchable for that to work. And while I give props to TJ for addressing a very real problem for many players of increasing boredom in between releases, I think that doing so in the absence of fixing the biome blocking and the ratio adjustment period that makes some breeds almost non-existant is noticeably wearing on people and that's being magnified by how quickly we're repeating the cycle.

Maybe it's time to take a look at the migration suggestions for biome blocking. Because I honestly believe that if people had a realistic belief that they could catch these eggs later, even if it took a lot of time and effort, this new release format wouldn't be the issue it is.

Definitely makes sense. Indeed, hunting on someone else's scroll was never an official part of the game, but tolerated as an existing mechanism. I still found it fun.

Just saw the first caveblocker pop up. Luckily I missed it.

Another drop within a minute or two of the previous one and I'm finally egg-locked, having accomplished my goal (3 of each).

I hope that cave blocker was a fluke, but I fear it was not. Anyone else see one?

Edited by Renren_Ace

"The air shimmers around this egg, as if from heat."

Maybe this egg is going to be called Mirage dragon or something.. dry.gif