little lost dragon

Ryujin13 and I

Dalnr kept close to Shaza's pod the whole way back to the Shatong village, even when it was being hooked up to the medical center. He touched on of the tubes attached to her pod, testing it, then sighed and nodded.

"I understand. Thank you." He said quietly.

He remained with the pod for a few minutes, then stood and left. The striders he gave orders to guard the village but especially Shaza's pod before he left the village and headed back home.

When he finally arrived he was greeted by a squeezing mass of chitin and energy as Pikna slammed into him, already chattering excitedly about what had happened.

Dalnr listened the whole time, remaining quiet about Shaza's new condition, instead content to let Pikna enjoy herself.

For the most part all was well in the Shatong colony research projects continued to be worked on, Kas-Mah DNA was being worked on to find out what exactly was in the unknown code that did not match the rest of the strands. Krahn tech was studied, compared in the data notes and being quickly reverse engineered with a number of prototypes being bred in the spawning pools along with Shatong understanding of mechanical tech expanding as a result. Searching continued for the source that was leaking information as well.

Mean while it was nearly evening when in the Kas-Mah village a disturbance showed up. Another Draken had shown up and this time it spoke to a Kas-Mah guard ordering him to show him where Dalnr was. Either that or he would force him to take the Draken to Dalnr willing or not.

Dalnr was in the meeting pavilion when the Draken was shown in by the Kas-Mah. In a split second every Kas-Mah was on their feet with weapons of one sort or another pointed at the Draken. Dalnr was the only one to skip that part as he already knew weapons would do no good.

"Get out of my village!" He demanded, his eyes narrowed and fangs bared. "You have already killed some of my people, threatened the others. Either tell me what you want or get out!"

(I've been feeling really under the weather since Monday, sorry for the bad posts.)

((Its alright, any idea whats got you down?))

The Draken surveyed the room and everyone who was pointing weapons at it before seemed to just ignore them and looked directly at Dalnr "Tests can be fatal when out of there conditions and controlled environments. They can spread plagues and disease as things mutate and change. While at other times it is best to let other things thrive." he said as if it was story time "Experiments that escape must be contained for the safety of others." it said voice suddenly going hard "Animals once, gifted to a tribe stage, given gifts to help them survive. Must not mix with those who have learned the basics of the gifts given to them, and thus expanded on them. Those that do not progress must not mix with those that do." he said firmly "Measures can be taken."

(I had a seizure on Monday and I threw up a bunch yesterday. I just feel like crap.)

"I'm not going to sever ties with the Shatong just because your numbers are off." Dalnr snarled. "We are living people! You have no right to dictate how we evolve or why. I know it was you that put the block into my species gene code, and for what, an experiment? I'm telling you now, we will not be your test subjects anymore. The Kas-Mah will have the block removed and the Shatong will help us into the future. Now go, you aren't welcome here."

The Draken seemed unfazed by what Dalnr had said "The subjects make conclusions faster with help. Our calculations are happening as we speak. No species wishes to be subjected to being part of a test. However something must be done. Your kind will prove to be too much for the Shatong as your base instinks are too strong for most of your own kind to keep in. Allowing such a race to prosper with out restraint will cause the death of other kinds which we do not wish." he said before looking at the weapons pointed at him again "Perhaps we where wrong, wrong to allow your kind to thrive at all. Perhaps that is however, not your fault. I must convein. Head my words Dalnr, measure can be taken." he said before sinking into the floor.

((Oh, I hope you get well soon buddy. Take it easy alright?))

(Will do, thanks. smile.gif )

"No the only mistake that was made was trying to come back and start messing around again! We will not be pushed around by some spirits!" Dalnr shouted angrily before slumping when the Draken had gone. His favorite chair was brought forward by a cub who happened to be there and he smiled at the little girl as he sat.

"What's your name?" He asked, picking up the cub who couldn't have been more then four or five.

"Sheyli." The little girl said.

"Oh, you're Sheyli, Pikna's friend?" He asked conversationally. "Well why are you here, where's Pikna?"

"Pikna's at my house, I just needed to ask mommy if we could use the paints. We're making a picture!"

Dalnr smiled and stood, taking the little girl to the side of the hall where a chest sat. This he opened and rummaged through before coming up with a large piece of leather and a decorated box.

"Here, you two can use my paints." He said, handing them to the cub. "I haven't used them in a long time so I think you two should have them."

Sheyli smiled and bowed to Dalnr then started to bounce off, but stopped and got a thoughtful look on her face.

"Dalnr... Sir, why does Pikna smell so strand all the time? She doesn't smile or laugh as much as we do, all that happens is this weird smell comes from her."

Dalnr sighed and bent down so he was level with Sheyli.

"That is something that her kind does differently then ours. It doesn't make her any better or worse of a person, it's just a part of who she is. She makes her emotions known by smells instead of facial expressions or crying. All I ask is that you treat her the same as you always have."

Sheyli nodded solemnly and bowed again before running off, leaving Dalnr to take up his seat again.

Things went pretty laid back after that nothing really happening. The Shatong colony had no visitors and as it got dark things slowed down. Sheyli's father came home a bit puzzled seeing Pikna, a Krahn child in his home when he had been shooting at her kind only the other day. Though after some explaining his wife convinced him Pikna was safe. However many guards stood on alert guards up in case of a rebel Krahn attack showed up due to the jammer not being tested.

A status report was sent to Dalnr before it got too late to cross the swamp zone between the Kas-Mah village and the boarder. the report contained the data they had found on the genetic block found on the Kas-Mah and progress to making sure its removed with out taking anything critical with it. Along with data on the tech research, a number of break throughs happened with Shatong energy weapons thanks to reverse enginering Krahn cooling systems along with promising shield tech they will be willing to share after its undergone trials.

And under it all a report on Shaza's status, she was healing and would be awake tomorrow morning, however there was a note there saying the pod only does so much, she won't be up to full status for a bit. However the Shatong priest has agreed to marry them. Deeming there trials good enough.

((Your welcome smile.gif

I'll do a time skip till morning next post if ya want.))

(Yeah that sounds good.)

The rest if the day was mostly a logistical nightmare for the leaders of the village, with new schedules needing to be created due to the losses sustained as well as redistribution of resources, amount that needed to be hunted, and a thousand other things beside.

The news from the Shatong was promising, and Dalnr was glad that Shaza would be up by the next day but he had a lot to do in the meantime. So did the rest of that day pass in. A haze of boredom and paperwork.

Really early in the morning Shaza woke up in her pod as it moved to let her out as it had done all it could. No one was up yet but the tendrils came and helped her to her laying position in the dark. Marks still showed on her scales where the particular deep and damaging cuts. She slumped on the places floor falling asleep again till someone else entered the place to help her to her home.

((brain fart now.... of all times lol))

Edited by little lost dragon

(It's ok, not like I'm thinking great at the moment.)

Dalnr woke up the next morning and went about his general business, making himself breakfast, going for a run, and finally bathing before getting back into his armor and going back down to the village. It didn't take him long to find Pikna who had already eaten and was now busy building something with her friend. When Dalnr approached though, Sheyli stopped playing and stood, bowing carefully to Dalnr.

Pikna seemed a bit more confused by this and instead hugged Dalnr tight.

"Hi Dalnr! Sheyli and I were just building this! She says that she has to learn how to build a trap for animals so I showed her how!" Pikna said, gesturing to the device.

Dalnr smiled and nodded, glancing at Sheyli. "Master that and you'll pass your first rite easy." He said, causing the cub to beam happily. "Now Pikna, we need to go see Shaza. She'll be waking up at some point today and I know you want to see her just like me."

Pikna giggled happily and nodded, hugging Dalnr again as the older stood and glanced at Sheyli. "Tell your mother thank you from me. I appreciate the service." He said as Pikna said her goodbyes.

The trip back to the Shatong village was long, but was anything but boring. Though Dalnr didn't understand what Pikna was talking about half the time, she would explain it well enough for him to follow whatever topic she decided to discuss.

Arrival at the Shatong med center heralded a welcome gathering of doctors around Shaza's form, now outside of the pod. Dalnr rushed over to her, Pikna not far behind and carefully took her into his arms, her head cradled against his shoulder.

"Can she hear me?" He asked the doctor quietly. "When will she be able to speak again?"

Shaza moaned a little when she was picked up. She blinked her eye's opening them a little so she could see Dalnr and Pikna before feeling Pikna's head against her as well. "H-hey." she got out quietly her tail weakly coming over to gently cup Pikna in a hugging manner around her back.

The Doctor nodded "She'll be able to speak, but lack of sleep and lack of added fuel supply.... food, is taking its toll on her body. We maybe fed in our homes but she's been all over the place and sometimes not in her home." he explained "She's not to do any stressful that she can avoid. If we had a relax center I'd give medical orders for her to go there but that's the place one of the ghost things turned to dust and now where having to regrow one." he said "Her cuts are most of the way healed but the damage and nature of the blade used on her is going to leave a mark for a while." he said "Besides all that, there closed and her tail and inner organs, with lack of sleep and food, are healed as much as possible."

"I understand." Dalnr said gently touching Shaza's cheek. "She'll stay at her home for awhile until she's doing better. Thank you for your help." He turned and walked carefully out of the hut and off to Shaza's home.

Once inside he gently set her down and made her comfortable, then pulled out his pack and unfurled a blanket which he put over her.

"This was my wife's." He explained quietly. "She told me that the family should always use it. Now you are." He smiled and removed a metal flask which he swirled around and uncorked before pouring a good measure into a bowl that he also withdrew from the pack.

"You didn't get the chance to try my soup last time we were at my home, and that doctors right, you probably are hungry. So eat up, this is my mothers secret recipe and the best stew I've ever tasted." He carefully held the bowl out for Shaza and helped her drink it, then supplied some tea from another flask.

Pikna meanwhile was chattering away, holding Aera tight but still trying to be as close to Shaza as she could. She still didn't know how close Shaza had come to death, but it was obvious the little girl had still worried plenty without that information.

"Do you need anything else Shaza?" Dalnr asked as he handed her another cup of herbal tea. "Something to read, a particular food?"

Shaza sighed and gently rested her head against Dalnr's hand as he carried her to her home, her tail gently sliding over the moist ground in the colony. Once they arrived at her place and he got her into a comfortable position on the soft flesh like floor and the blanket over her. She blinked a little confused but after he explained it she nodded. She smiled when he told her she was family.

When he unwrapped a bowl with a stew in it the scent was interesting, clearly having never smelled such. And he had started a stew of some kind before the whole civil war swallowed them after a Draken appearance.

She gently took the bowl in her hands though needed a little guidance as a bowl was not something she had seen before. It did indeed taste good though. She could tell there was other things other then spices and meets but she hardly paid it any attention. The entire time she gently held Pikna close with her tail as the young girl told her of her time with Sheyli and the sleep over, and every now and then a question about that hunt Dalnr told her he had gone on.

When it got to the herbal tea though it made her stomach feel strange as the herbs set to work however her body unable to make any use of the stuff digested.

She sighed and shook her head at Dalnr's question before putting a arm on Pikna's side. "I hear..... you went on a hunt...." she said barely above a whisper "How did it go?" she asked knowing that must of been a story to cover up her rescue, though she wondered how long Pikna would go before noticing new scars. But she knew Dalnr could almost say anything and Pikna would just swallow it all up. She was too young right now to fully understand what really happened. It would only make the young girl distressed more then she already was.

Edited by little lost dragon

Dalnr shrugged and refilled the bowl and tea before sitting down beside Shaza.

"It went well, no issues and the quarry was easy just like always." He smiled and helped Shaza drink some more, always careful to not give to much in one go.

"I was more worried about you then anything though. Hard to focus when I knew that you were in such bad shape."

Pikna snuggled in closer to Shaza and petted Aera, causing the pet to hum happily in her arms.

"I missed you mommy." She said quietly, closing her eyes and just finding comfort in the woman's embrace. "I'm glad you're better."

Shaza nodded smiling tiredly gently holding Pikna close with her tail as Dalnr helped her eat. "I missed you too hun." she replied to Pikna gently squeezing the young Krahn in the tail hug. "I missed you both." she had some more of the stew "Dalnr, this stew... haven't had anything like it." she admitted but was smiling "Tastes wonderful." she said softly before having more from the bowl. She wanted to ask a number of questions but all that might throw Pikna for a dive into further confusion. But at the same time, she missed out seeing Pikna play with her friend and relaxing time with her new family. Shatong, Kas-Mah, and Krahn all in one.

"Just got a message from the priest... he says where in the clear already...... we need to decide on our symbol..." she said softly though she looked directly at Dalnr she wished she could send an idea like she could with the rest of her kind. The chemical telepathic communication. Though seemed only with her kind. She tried to signel with her eye's of maybe including Pikna in the deciding of the design.

"Mom always knew best." Dalnr said with a smile, referencing the stew. "I thought the design came after all the cleansing though. You've only done it once, not the 20 times you said you needed to." Dalnr said, a little confused. "I got that same note and I thought it was just a mistake." He glanced at Pikna who had her eyes closed but was obviously still awake, her hand continuing to pet Aera.

"I don't know what kind of design we're supposed to do either. I've never been one for art, so I think we might need some help. Maybe Pikna?" He asked with a smile.

Pikna looked up at the mention of this, curiosity and excitement on her face. "I don't know what kind of design either but I want to help!" She said happily. "What's it for anyway? I want to help!"

Shaza weakly chuckled "Neither did I but, after checking for a comferm.... and it came back the same message." she explained before looking at Pikna "When Shatong get married, a symbol is made by the 2 being married, its placed on both half each, this way when they stand together they complete the symbol. In Dalnr's and I's case, it most likely will be placed on out backs, as Dalnr lacks the tail for it to be placed." she explained "Tomorrow... if Dalnr lets me out of here, we could head to the spawning pools and there's a small chamber, its the pod chamber. We'll make our design we agreed on there and with that being programmed in a pod will be grown. That will be our marriage pod." she said quietly looking at Dalnr "In there we are to embrace each other, before the mark is placed on us. While I won't lie that mark plcing hurts.... if the couple remains in the pod they can imprint on it, and then we have our own messaging pod. And those sooooo good." she said smiling recalling how it felt. Then another thought entered her head "When we do marry...... we should have a place in the trade post. at least till we have the teleport pads reverse engineered. then it won't matter." she said before yawning.

Pikna looked down, considering this for a moment, murmuring to herself again about the mark and it's social causes. Finally she looked back up and nodded. "Ok, but it should be something pretty, like maybe a bird or a flower or somethig." She said standing and going to get a tablet before sitting back down.

"But Dalnr's culture likes hunting, and things like that, but Sheyli says they also like the moon." Pikna chattered, playing with the design as she talked. "And Shatong like their homes and their biological based equipment." She played with the design more. "And then there's me..." She stopped and looked up at Dalnr and Shaza a little worriedly at this. "At least if it's alright for me to be in it." She asked nervously.

"You're part of the family Pikna, of course you can." Dalnr said with a smile and a nod.

Pikna chittered happily at this and released a little bit of the sweet smelling pheremone as she went back to playing with the design. Finally she held it up, showing a landscape of sorts. A moon hovered over the center of the landscape, right where Shaza and Dalnr's backs would split it, while stars framed the whole thing. Trees covered the landscape, each one large and full of life. On one side was a village with little huts where light could be seen from windows. On the other was wilderness where animals hid. In the center stood Pikna with Aera in her arms. On either side of her stood Shaza and Dalnr who hugged both hugged her tight. All were smiling happily and behind them stood a single house where they obviously lived. The whole thing was simplistic in its execution, but was easily understood if one were to look at it.

"See? It's us!" Pikna said happily. "Don't you like it?"

Shaza smiled as Pikna went and got a tablet to draw as she spoke. When she looked up to see if it was ok to include Pikna and she nodded as Dalnr said it was alright. The sweet scent telling her Pikna was happy on that note. However it seemed she had the wrong idea of the symbol "Its a really nice picture Pikna, but I'm afraid you have the wrong idea. We need to make something that is a symbol but is broad enough to allow change to happen. What if our family where to grow? Or something happened to Dalnr or I? Or if we moved into a Kas-Mah home? We need to design something that wraps everything about us and our family together yet allows for change to happen." she explained "But, the image is wonderful, and if you want, I can save it into the homes memory so we can look at it when ever we want." she offered smiling

Pikna's eyes immediately widened at Shaza's statement that something could happen to her or Dalnr, and the small Krahn started shaking her head anxiously, already mumbling to herself in a panic.

"Possibility of death increases exponentially as time goes on, creating more chances for emotional attachment to lead to depression or worse." She stammered, covering her face with her hands as her pheremones went crazy once more.

Dalnr was in front of Pikna within a second though and had the little girls hand in his own. He petted it gently, rubbing the muscles there which made Pikna snap out of it and actually pay attention to him.

"Pikna." He said, his voice barely audible as he carefully rubbed her hands. "You're smart, sometimes to smart for your own good." He chuckled, watching as Pikna gave back a half smile. "You know that everything is a risk, everything. Just stepping out the door is a risk. But you need to realize that those risks are very small. Sure, things could happen to Shaza or I, but I don't think they will. I think it's more likely that our family will grow, and you will have a little brother or sister. Maybe he or she will have a pet like yours. Who knows, that's what part of being a family is about, facing the unknown with people you care about. Shaza didn't mean to scare you, or make you think we are just going to drop dead. She only meant that things could change, probably for the better, ok?"

Pikna continued to look up at Dalnr with wide eyes, then nodded and hugged him tight. This surprised Dalnr more then a little, but he hugged her back after a moment before gently putting her back.

"Now then, I don't think I quite understand what kind of symbol we need either. Do we need a picture, or something that will represent us, or is it a word or what?" He asked Shaza, trying to take Pikna's mind off of what she had just thought about.

Shaza removed her tail from around Pikna so she could see if she still had her old one that was badly faded. When she found it she pointed it out to them "For some its a simple squiggle that holds how a couple love each other, others its a number of things." she explained tracing the lines on her tail as they where really faded. they formed half of a infinity symbol along with what seemed like part of a circle that went around the infinity with lines coming off the circle to almost look like a sun "this one, the infinity symbol was the love we shared, the circle represented how we harbored it, and the lines turning the circle into a sun represented how each other felt to each other." she explained before looking at them "For an example, we could have a few lines or shapes as well." she admitted before letting go of her own tail. "I'm thinking, we should have something that could be related to hunting for Dalnr's part of the family, scales for Pikna and I, and something for our trust as a family." she explained.

Pikna and Dalnr both got quiet for a few moments after the explanation, each one thinking about what had been revealed.

"Well, Dalnr's a hunter, so maybe a spear point for him." Pikna said, drawing again as she spoke. "Maybe a scale with the spear point going up and down it, and um..." She stopped and thought for a moment, unsure of how to continue.

"How about a ring like the one on Shaza right now, completing out family?" Dalnr suggested, watching as Pikna completed the drawing.

"There, I think its perfect for our family." Dalnr smiled, looking at Shaza.

Shaza smiled and nodded tiredly "Sounds good." she said with a yawn but was smiling a bit. "In the mean time.... since I think I'm kind of stuck home-" she started playfully gently jabbing her knee at Dalnr since her thighs where long enough. "Would you guys like a...... q and a session? I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys may have, and after you guys have exaughsted your questions, we move onto the next, and so on. Dalnr or Pikna ect." she suggested shifting her position a little thought he fabric of the blanket sticking to her scales from getting damp from the slight slime coating her scales produced.

Dalnr frowned and glanced at Pikna who seemed content to pet Aera and speak quietly to the little pet about random nothings. Finally he nodded once to Shaza.

"Alright, well, maybe Pikna would like to ask first." He said, looking at the girl with a smile.

Pikna looked back around, then at Aera again before finally taking a breath and nodding.

"Um, what are the rites that Sheyli has to go through?" She asked, her voice and eyes unwavering as they met Dalnr's.

Dalnr frowned at this for a moment, then shrugged. "Well they're no secret, so I don't see why I can't tell you." He said. "There are three primary and a number of secondary. The primary must be accomplished to become apart of the tribe. Passing means you have all the rites and honors as a hunter and a warrior. The secondaries are for different positions or titles, perhaps to gain tutelage under a person of that profession or to prove yourself worthy of leading. They all vary in difficulty and requirements, but the primary three remain the same. At the age of eight, a cub has been taught basic survival skills. They are equipped only with their wits and their claws, then taken far into the swamp where they are left. They must find their way back or perish. The second is a challenge of stamina. The cub must go into the swamp and bring three kills back to the village. Size and shape don't matter, only that the cub took their lives. Parts from the animals are ground into three different vapors. For three days the cub will be left with no food and no drink in a box with no light or contact with outside. On the morning of the forth they are given a drink of water and the first vapor is set withing. They must meditate on the visions they see, analyze their prey, what it is telling them about themselves, their future, their very place in the clan. They repeat this with all three vapors over the course of three more days. Always they are given water before the new vapor is added. Finally, the test of skill. They must go into the swamp and kill a prey of their choice. The only rules are that they must do it alone, and it must feed their family at least. More brings more prestige of course, while less brings shame. It is a brutal way of life, but on my home it made sense. With all the dangers and horrors out there it didn't do anyone any good to coddle the weak. If they couldn't survive on strength, or speed, or wits, then they were just a hinderance, a drain on resources. Here though, that isn't the case and our numbers are so few that I don't think the trials can stay as they have been. Cub fatalities won't do us any good. There isn't a breeding pool to protect, this is it, we need every life we have." He smiled a little realizing he was going off for no reason and gently touched Pikna's shoulder.

"Sheyli won't be hurt by the trials, you have my word." Dalnr said quietly, touching Pikna's nose with one claw before sitting back again. "What about you Shaza, any questions for Pikna or I?"