DragCave Wiki

Dragon Cave Wiki

Wonderful to see the back of the rarity thing. It confuses new players most horribly!

Hello again,

Currently working on an update to the Dragon Rarity Guide.

The draft (found here!) isn't finished yet, looking to get it squared away this weekend, but I wanted to put it around for general feedback. Let me know if there's any other information that would be useful to have in this guide, or suggestions for organization. (also right now i'm just running with the rarities that are already in the guide, some of them are likely in need of updating, if you have suggestions in that department, drop a note on the talk page.)

Thanks!

I peeked at the draft, I'm not totally knowledgeable about the wiki stuff but it feels like lineage-rarity doesn't belong in that first paragraph? The rarity definitions/explanations in that paragraph all have to do with in-cave mechanics, like eggs being picked up faster or breeding results being affected. And then suddenly there is one sentence about lineage, which doesn't really seem to belong, and is very vague (and possibly confusing?) in regards to lineages being 'uniquely classified'. I think it would be better if purely subjective things like lineage would be in a different paragraph than actual in-site mechanics. 

I'm curious how the list of dragons is sorted within the rarity filter/sort? I clicked the bold 'rarity', and I see it listing very common, common, uncommon, etc, but within those designations the breeds seem to be randomly organized? (Example: The first 'Uncommon' listed with that sort is the Floret Wyvern, then we have more 'F' breeds, and then there is an 'E' (Ember), etc).

I'm not sure about the sort issue that's causing Florets and Embers to jump up above, like, the Avatars which I think should be the start of the Uncommons is. The rares are also sorting weird.... I'll check how Fandom implements their table sort and see what's causing the weirdness.

Posted (edited)

Updates:

It appears that the js that Fandom uses for sortable tables doesn't stable sort. To sort by both rarity and alphabetically, you can use the secondary sort feature: Click the "Rarity" column to sort by rarity, then hold shift and click the "Breed" column to alphabetize within each rarity.

The Rarity Guide draft should be more or less done now. I think I've got all the breeds in now. I also reorganized the rarities based generally on market value (with some exceptions, such as Xenos, which are known to have a lower market value than the user experience of rarity would suggest).

My table for price -> rarity was:

0 – Very common –           100 shards
1 – Common      –   200 -   400 shards
2 – Uncommon    –   500 - 1,500 shards
3 – Rare        – 1,600 - 2,500 shards
4 – Very Rare   –      >= 2,600 shards
5 – Extremely Rare – Reserved for highly limited or hard to obtain non-market dragons (ie, neglected, prize, GoN) 

I'm gonna ask that any discussion of fine-tuning specific breeds' rarities hold until after the more macro-level organizational discussion can happen. I personally don't spend much time watching the market/trade hub, my goal's mostly to get the rarity guide set up in a more user-friendly pattern and then throw it to the userbase at large to keep the values in check with market demands. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Finally, since tinypic has died, I'm gonna try to replace some of the small wiki badges/banners for those who'd like something in their signature. So far I've got this:

WaqXjLS.png

[URL=http://preview.tinyurl.com/yetost8][IMG=https://i.imgur.com/WaqXjLS.png][/URL]

Edited by Stromboli
u rite

Lovely! Though I think the "very rare" tier should use ">= 2,600 shards" ;)

This may be a stupid question, but why won't wiki banners be hosted on the wiki itself?

Posted (edited)

56 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

This may be a stupid question, but why won't wiki banners be hosted on the wiki itself?

The new one definitely is, it's just also on imgur for url shortening (and to ensure normal image quality, Fandom has a weird habit of compressing images that shouldn't need it). If the old ones are as well, I haven't been able to find them yet in the absolute crush of images we have on this wiki, lol

but mostly, https://i.imgur.com/WaqXjLS.png is just nicer than https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dragcave/images/f/fb/DC_Wiki_badge.png ^_^

ETA:

Oh! I also forgot in my update, I'm also working on an update to the Dragon Release Timeline. Currently, the DRT is a bullet list. Looking at putting it into a series of tables. apparently I just really like tables, idk what to tell y'all. Drafting happening here: https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/User:RinasaurusRex/Draft:Dragon_Release_Timeline

Edited by Stromboli