DragCave Wiki

Dragon Cave Wiki

I talked about the update on the wiki's talk page, but I'll share it here as well: it's bad naming practice on a couple counts, and I favor aligning to better practices over maintaining quirks for the sake of tradition.

• On a basic level of good naming practices: Article names should not end in a question mark unless the article's subject ends in a question mark. For example, it's acceptable to have a question mark on the article about the book Are You My Mother? because that's the complete title of the book. "Which egg is which?" is not an article title that needs a question mark in this way.
  • Besides that, articles aren't named for the question they answer, they're named for the information they contain. Wikipedia doesn't keep articles like "What episodes were in Buffy the Vampire Slayer?", they keep "List of Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes". 
  • From an organizational standpoint, an egg identification guide is an expansion of the topic of "eggs" in this game. Since it's too large to simply include the guide in the "Egg" article without taking it over completely, better organization would be to make it a subpage so it's clearly linked with its parent topic. For an example from a wiki that uses information hierarchies:

I've talked over this change and the practices related with other wiki contributors because this is a high traffic page and I don't take changes to it lightly. I would not be recommending the change if I didn't think it was important to the organizational standards of the wiki.

A redirect would be left behind so any external links will automatically be routed through to the expected content.

"Good naming practice" in whose eyes ? I simply cannot agree with you here. "Which egg is which?" has worked perfectly fine for years. It's hardly the same as episodes of Buffy - where you don't go to identify one, but to get a simple list. There is NOTHING wrong with a ? in a page title - it's a page that answers a question, end of. Where is there any threat to organisational standards here ?

Maybe as a compromise, just the question mark could be removed? As in "this page tells you which egg is which".

IMO that would fulfill the requirement that the article should be named for the information it contains.

Anyway there would be other titles more useful than "Egg/Guide". "List of eggs" perhaps.

"Guide" sounds more like "how to handle eggs", and not like the answer to a question like "which description or picture do I have to look for when I want this specific breed?"

Which Egg is Which? is Exactly what I think when checking egg ID, descriptions  etc

PLEASE stop changing what isn't broken >>> ENOUGH !!!

There are some conventions and best practices for wiki management. Since taking admin of this wiki, I've spent a lot of time learning about them. I'm afraid that even if it's not broken to your eyes, it doesn't mean it's not broken. 

"Egg/List" was actually the title suggested in my talks with fandom community advisors and other wiki managers. I'd leaned to "Egg/Guide" since it's used more as a guide by the userbase. I could go for "Egg/List" yet, or something more descriptive as "Egg/Identification guide"

4 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

There are some conventions and best practices for wiki management. Since taking admin of this wiki, I've spent a lot of time learning about them. I'm afraid that even if it's not broken to your eyes, it doesn't mean it's not broken. 

"Egg/List" was actually the title suggested in my talks with fandom community advisors and other wiki managers. I'd leaned to "Egg/Guide" since it's used more as a guide by the userbase. I could go for "Egg/List" yet, or something more descriptive as "Egg/Identification guide"

sorry .. let's agree to disagree

the best practice is SIMPLICITY

pro forma is unnecessary here

I don't understand what the issue is with a name change that makes the wiki work better both on the surface and behind the scenes. Egg/Identification Guide is easy to understand and the actual page will remain as useful as it always was.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

"Good naming practice" in whose eyes ? I simply cannot agree with you here. "Which egg is which?" has worked perfectly fine for years. It's hardly the same as episodes of Buffy - where you don't go to identify one, but to get a simple list. There is NOTHING wrong with a ? in a page title - it's a page that answers a question, end of. Where is there any threat to organisational standards here ?

But in general, one is looking for an answer, not for a question. Anyway, I don't see how this change would hurt.

And it should be possible to leave the old name as a redirect, which means no functionality would actually break.

4 hours ago, Chaosdawn said:

I don't understand what the issue is with a name change that makes the wiki work better both on the surface and behind the scenes. Egg/Identification Guide is easy to understand and the actual page will remain as useful as it always was.

OK what about just "Egg Identification" if you MUST change it. Or even "Identify this egg"....

But while I have no idea what "works" in the background -  who says it works better on the surface ? Who has ever suggested it wasn't working perfectly fine till now ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

6 hours ago, Stromboli said:

@Fuzzbucket   I'm just going on what Stromboli said above and my confusion as to why a name change suggestion would become such a contentious subject. Even if something's not broken doesn't mean it can't be improved. I'm sure Stromboli does a lot of work on the wiki and would know what's best for it. 

Questionmarks in titles are a toughie because they always have to be URL-encoded. A questionmark in any URL is usually a marker for "what follows next is parameter".

For example, take this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=stone+in+kg

where "search" is the page name

"?" is the separator for the parameter string

"q=stone+in+kg" is the parameter string.

Removing the necessity for encoding that title's questionmark would make handling/linking of that page easier, as well as reduce the chance of breaking things with wiki updates or somesuch.

I'd vote for "List of Eggs" though. I don't find "Egg/Guide" actually that intuitive when looking for that page ...

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I'd vote for "List of Eggs" though. I don't find "Egg/Guide" actually that intuitive when looking for that page ...

I like "List of Eggs."  Or something along the lines of "Egg Identification."  Those are the most intuitive for me. :)

Something along the lines of "Guide to Identifying Eggs" seems the most intuitive to me. I wouldn't be upset if it stayed the way it was, but I also wouldn't be upset if it changed, either.

Just wanted to put my two cents worth in...  I don't like the Holiday dragons grouped with all the other dragons.  Now I have to take the time to go thru and make my own Holiday lists.  Thanks for the wiki though.

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It would be nice if the Halloween page was set up the same as the others, with the eggs and their descriptions on the page without having to click each dragon to get that information.

Just seems like they should be uniform. *shrugs*

I noticed the "split" message atop the Seasonal Dragon page (didn't check when it appeared), and I have no objections to splitting to match the Encyclopedia.

Can we have the rare list and the holiday list back?  Please?!

Did the fandom wiki moving do something to break all the egg images? It's strange it only seems to be them...

They're all OK for me - you mean the egg ID page ?

BQd6JbA.png

This is happening to me for quite a few egg sprites. Is it really just me?

Immediate Edit: It was a caching issue... (facepalms)

Edit AGAIN: I'm starting to think my browser is just completely borked. Hard refreshing isn't fixing the issue anymore, I've cleared my cache and so on... what the heck?

Edited by Paintra