georgexu94

Fears/Phobias

You know I never quite understood this fear of water. Oh, the term can be hydrophobia too. Anyway, I ask myself why is there a fear of water when one encounters water everyday (drinks water) Kindly explain. Thanks. I find it interesting and ironic, hehe.

I actually hate drinking water, lol! But only because it's nasty/plain. Unless it's Fiji water.

But moving on, it's not water itself per say - I do like the feel of water (I love showers, walking around in pools that are shallow enough for me to keep my head above the surface, etc.) but being in deep water is unnerving. I can't swim, and knowing this I know I'll drown. However when I was taking lessons to learn to swim,( before I really knew I couldn't swim, because everyone knows kids think they can do anything) I was afraid. Even with basic enough skills to at least be able to float, in deep water I immediately froze up. I've never had true near drowning experiences via being submerged (if you're wondering, I inhaled a half a glass of water when I was younger and didn't realize it until I mentally assessed it wasn't in my stomach -it caused no pain at first for whatever the reason - and started choking and gagging like crazy, and the pain hit me; that was my non submerged experience with "drowning" or at least how painful the experience can be), but during said swimming lessons the instructor put us all in life jackets and had us go in the 7 foot end. I was roughly 8 years old, and refused to jump in under my own power (I was very apprehensive), so she just pushed me in. I was so scared I froze. She swam over to me after a while, trying to convince me to at least move my arms a little, but I was so terrified I couldn't even say no. I just whimpered and shook my head. They had to pull me out because I literally couldn't move. I was, as the saying goes, scared stiff.

Although that could have, and more than likely did heighten my fears, I know they were always there to begin with. I feel a lot of this is due to being human - solid ground is our forte. Water, although we can learn to deal with it, is not our primary element. So to this day, I'm extremely nervous when I get too close to water I know is too deep for me to stand in with my head above the surface.

(And to be fair, I'd probably be this way in any deep amount of liquid, but how often do you come across a large body of cooking oil or mercury? LOL)

And finally, up until recently I called it hydrophobia too, but that is considered one of the last stages of rabies medically and scientifically, so I'm attempting to stray away from that term myself.

Oh, I forgot my other fear - I'm afraid to drive. I'm 24, and have never been to driver's ed or licensed. I've seen a couple bad accents, been in a few minor to moderate ones myself, and those memories coupled with the feeling of not having control makes me very much afraid to learn.

Edited by Wahya

I have a fear of heights...mainly going near railings when I'm up high. I always think if I lean against it, it'll tip over.

Public speaking. Mainly I just hate it.

Edited by jchen

I have a fear of balloons and ghosts/aliens *shudders* I torture myself by watching Fact or Faked. But like Dr. Sheldon Cooper says: "The fear of heights is illogical; the fear of falling on the other hand..."

I have a fear of balloons and ghosts/aliens *shudders* I torture myself by watching Fact or Faked. But like Dr. Sheldon Cooper says: "The fear of heights is illogical; the fear of falling on the other hand..."

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

My friend, don't be afraid of ghosts, aliens or balloons. We'll help u overcome that fear. smile.gif

Firstly, why do you fear them? ohmy.gif

I agree with Dr. sheldon Cooper. xd.png but I still don't know why I'm afraid of heights. tongue.gif I guess it makes me dizzy. *shrugs*

Edited by georgexu94

Tokophobia - Fear of pregnancy/childbirth. Y'all probably know this from my posts in the abortion thread, but the thought of something growing inside my body makes me physically sick. Knowing that the thing would come out in a painful way that could kill me just makes it worse. When people tell me "oh, you'll want kids later..." telling them I'm phobic usually shuts them up fast.

Kanalineophobia - Fear of a row of blades (specifically chainsaws). Had a bad experience and now I'm afraid of the things... sucks for me because I love horror films.

Glossophobia - Fear of public speaking. This one, I'm starting to get over. College does that to you.

Trypophobia - Fear of holes. It's less of a fear for me than "holy censorkip.gif gonna throw up."

Gerascophobia - Fear of growing old.

Kenophobia, fear of voids or wide open plains with NOTHING at all around me or in the distance.

Arachnophobia - the fear of spiders. It's more like, the mere thought of them makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Recently, we found a brown recluse in our house, and I couldn't sleep. I was up until around 4 in the morning, and then I had nightmares.. >_>

The idea of them anywhere near me...Ugh! And my step-dad just loves torturing (he says it's teasing) me about it. Once he caught a wolfspider a little smaller than a tennis ball (w/ legs) and threw it at me. ACTUALLY tossed it on me (it ended up on my arm), and I panicked, and afterwards started crying. Thanks to my step-dad, because that REALLY helps my fear.

Sigh. I just....Can't stand them.

Tokophobia - Fear of pregnancy/childbirth. Y'all probably know this from my posts in the abortion thread, but the thought of something growing inside my body makes me physically sick. Knowing that the thing would come out in a painful way that could kill me just makes it worse. When people tell me "oh, you'll want kids later..." telling them I'm phobic usually shuts them up fast.

Kanalineophobia - Fear of a row of blades (specifically chainsaws). Had a bad experience and now I'm afraid of the things... sucks for me because I love horror films.

Glossophobia - Fear of public speaking. This one, I'm starting to get over. College does that to you.

Trypophobia - Fear of holes. It's less of a fear for me than "holy censorkip.gif gonna throw up."

Gerascophobia - Fear of growing old.

I don't like or want children myself, and I certainly don't want to come anywhere near experiencing the pain that comes from it. So I can sort of relate with you there. The whole idea makes me shudder, though not quite from fear so much as disgust. Although being pregnant must be a frightening experience in this awful world.

I didn't even know that was a thing; but I may have it. The idea of something growing inside me just makes me feel all anxious and icky.

I have one fear and one fear only...Centipedes... 0_0

Its just like a bug snake. I'm perfectly fine with bugs and I have no problems whatsoever with snakes. But bug-snake...that's going too far. That's taking it to a whole new level

I sorta have a fear of drowning (Don't know the phobia for it) but I absolutely love swimming DX

Also going outof my house (To like throw something in the outside bin) not like being afraid

I don't like small spaces, seeing needles being injected makes me feel kind of nervous, and I get really nervous/disturbed if I look at clusters of tiny holes for some reason. x_x

Alright! I'll admit it. I was once hydrophobic as well. Now, I thought the idea of having fear of water very ridiculous. That's why I'm asking anyone who's hydrophobic to explain. I think it has to do with drowning. Yet again, it just might be the chlorine since I was only afraid of the swimming pool but didn't fear the sea at that time. *shrugs* Yup, probably the chlorine. Blame it all on the chlorine.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

My friend, don't be afraid of ghosts, aliens or balloons. We'll help u overcome that fear. smile.gif

Firstly, why do you fear them? ohmy.gif

I agree with Dr. sheldon Cooper. xd.png but I still don't know why I'm afraid of heights. tongue.gif I guess it makes me dizzy. *shrugs*

I fear aliens and ghosts because I watch them on tv and I want to scream

Fear of childbirth.

I'd say my fear of this mainly stems from the pain I know comes from the actual birth.

Sedatephobia - fear of silence.

When I was little, I had to have an air filter in my room so I got accustomed to sleeping to sound. I cannot sleep without a fan running or sound from my tv. When ever I'm doing something throughout the day, I have to have some kind of sound whether it be tv, music, people talking around me, whatever. I get uneasy and rather anxious if it's silent or very quiet, my mind wanders thinking of things just to make me more anxious but when there is sound, I am calm.

Edited by EmoDuck598

This is sooooo pathetic, because I can't even TYPE the name of it without getting scared. Here's some hints: it croaks, it swims, it is absolutely slimey and disgusting. Normal teens love to make fun of you, especially if you have a phobia. Thanks to this, after 7th grade, to guard me from other kids, my mom had to put me into virtual school. It's my second year now and I'm taking the finals.

This is sooooo pathetic, because I can't even TYPE the name of it without getting scared. Here's some hints: it croaks, it swims, it is absolutely slimey and disgusting. Normal teens love to make fun of you, especially if you have a phobia. Thanks to this, after 7th grade, to guard me from other kids, my mom had to put me into virtual school. It's my second year now and I'm taking the finals.

Frogs?

Yep.... sad.gif The phobia is itself doesn't seem too silly, but how badly I'm afraid of them is.

It's okay cutie, everyone has a fear of something, no one is perfect

I'm mildly afraid of small, dark spaces or being in an elevator, I'm a bit more anxious about me saying stupid things or embarrassing myself, but I think the worst fear I have is... well, the fear of being afraid/having a panic attack.

I know it's stupid, but... oh, well. xd.png

Levophobia/Sinistrophobia; The fear of things to my left.

For instance, I'm also pyrophobic, which is the fear of fire. A fire behind, in front, or to my right will be a LOT less terrifying than if said fire just happened to be to my left side.

It doesn't mean that standing to my left will mean I'm suddenly afraid of you, but rather that scary things are much more scary if they're to my left.

Arachnophobic. I couldn't find the name for the fear of elevators, but yeah, they scare me, too. Also terrified of sleeping if there are other people in the same room, no matter who it may be. Peccatophobia, the fear of committing crimes, sometimes making you mistake an innocent action for a crime.

Quite a bit more, but I can't think of them right now smile.gif

ETA: Oh yeah, to add on to the Levophobia/Sinistrophobia... If I do happen to be scared of a person for some other reason, these phobias also amplify the fear if I know said person is left-handed. So yeah, don't attack me after telling me you're left-handed, mk?

I've remembered a few. Arachnophobia I think of as the fear of arachnids, not a general fear of just spiders. That being said, spiders are utterly terrifying, but scorpions are absolutely demonic.

I'm also slightly chirophobic, which is a fear of hands. It isn't very severe, but if I'm not paying attention and I catch someone reaching near me or just moving their hands around me, I will flinch and try to slap their hand away.

Kakorrhaphiophobia, a fear of being defeated or of failure. I'm more on the failure side of the spectrum, as I'm fine knowing that someone out there is going to be defeating me at something, and there'll not be something I can do better than anyone. However, if I downright fail and do something horribly? That is what I'm terrified of. I get terrified if I start making a low C in any classes, which unfortunately happens somewhat often. I don't like playing games(even single-player) or competing in something if I know that there is someone who will know if I fail.

Mycophobia(Mushrooms), Nomatophobia(Names, not remembering peoples's names), Pathophobia(Disease), Parturiphobia(Childbirth), Pnigophobia(Choking/Smothered), Chorophobia(Dancing), and dare I say it, Anuptaphobia(Go look it up xd.png).