georgexu94

Fears/Phobias

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I'm sure this isn't a duplicate as I searched. All I found is "Your biggest fear?, hopefully, it's not gonna happen." by Earthgirl (Your biggest fear?, hopefully, it's not gonna happen.) but this one is discussing fear in general- the normal one not the worst. Something that can be encountered everyday. Be it acrophobia, neophobia, hydrophobia, claustrophobia, agoraphobia or others

Okay, I'll start first. I'm acrophobic. Even like riding a tricycle- the one that has a motor bike and attached with a cart at the side. I hate riding at the seat behind the driver. I feel uncomfy when my feet are dangling while moving! Anyway, I can at least tolerate until only the third floor of a building. Even that, it's already scary!

Edited by georgexu94

Acrophobia, too >.>

I hate heights, hateithateithateit. Especially when I get the feeling of my feet not touching the ground or anything, oh god. worst feeling ever. <.<

I'm acrophobic too. Ish.

You know in those malls, when you're on the higher floors and you can look down and see the other floors down, down, down, below? I can't stand it, or hold the railing, I have to get away from it.

Can't do elevators eithers 0n0

I have coccinellidaephobia. Which is an irrational fear of ladybugs.

It's something I got when I was a little kid and my room got infested with ladybugs. They even made a nest inside my wall.

I have Mycophobia, if I pick up a piece of bread and don't notice a speck of mould until its in my hand I'm liable to react as someone with arachnophobia would to a spider on them.

I just can't take fungus/mould/mushroom. When I was younger i used to love mushroom soup, now it kinda gives me chills to have to stand near it.

I've tried to get over this many times by attempting to eat foods I used to love such as the soup and garlic mushrooms but I get through a bite and then I'm shaking and unable to swallow.

People think I'm a fussy eater for episodes like this but truthfully I'll eat anything xd.png, and I love the taste of mushroom I remember, I just can't quite bring myself to interact with one.

I have Physchophobia which means basically I have a fear of the mentally ill. Its not a fear exactly though I mean I don't feel actual fear towards them its more like....well I get a feeling in the pit of my stomach that makes me uneasy and anxious to get away from them. It's a mixture of that and pure sadness. It's such a terrible thing and so when I leave the room I feel that specific feeling in my stomach go away and I'm relieved. The feeling combined with the sadness is really uncomfortable and leaves me roiling with thoughts of "Why does this have to happen to people?" afterwards.

Water too deep for me to stand in with my head above the surface. The closest I've been to a proper term is Aquaphobia, though that actually encompasses the fear of water in general (being splashed unexpectedly, water in a bathtub, etc).

I'm also deathly afraid of insects and spiders, but ONLY when they touch my skin, or fly (where applicable) really close to my face and/or ears. If they stay away from me, I'm pretty much cool with them (though out of the fear of them touching me, I try to get them into a cup or other container to throw them outside).

Furthermore, I'm afraid of walking up on a dead body at random. Since I was young and my father told me about that happening to my half brother, I've been afraid to experience the same thing.

Edited by Wahya

I have arachnophobia. I have a huge fear of spiders. I freak out if I see even the smallest of spiders. They just scare me so much! I usually call one of my parents to come kill it for me. But, lately, they have gotten annoyed at me calling for them, so I have had to start killing them myself. Sometimes it takes me a while to work up the courage to kill the spider, and sometimes it gets away. But, at least I am slowly getting rid of my fear.

I also have entomophobia. In case you don't know, it is a fear of insects. Just like spiders, I really don't like bugs. If I see something flying around in my house I generally scream and run away like a crazy woman. Sometimes it's funny since my mom tends to do the same thing. But, at least she comes back to reality and eventually kills it. Me on the other hand, I can't even get close to a bug (especially a beetle) without running away in fear. Just like with my fear of spiders, I am learning to face my fear.

Flying insects, especially wasps and anything that has similar body parts to wasps and looks like wasps.

I can't stand them flying around me. I will freak out and run away, and remain freaked out for a looooong time afterwards. I'll try to be still but I end up freaking out, and I know that they can sense it, so that's when I go fight-or-flight, which I know is the worst thing to do, but still.

A few months ago we were standing in arcs practicing parade music (we were about to march in the local high school's homecoming parade), and one half was under some trees and near a fence with bright yellow thing on top which I knew had wasps' nests in it. And I was being calm and stuff, trying to ignore the bugs, but then one found its way behind my left ear. I freaked and swatted it away with my hand, and then I convinced myself I was going to be okay, so I stayed there and kept playing. Thirty seconds later I felt an excruciatingly burning sting on my ear and on my middle finger. I backed out and ran around, tearing up and slowly slipping into total panic mode. I ended up going home with my mom because I was way too freaked out to march the parade. I went back to the school that night for a send-off show and somehow managed to make it through that even though I was still ultra paranoid and panicky even about the gnats. I've been even more phobic to them ever since (though I was fairly phobic to them before).

So that's my story.

Fears... probably spiders to an extent.

Fear of the unknown too. Like thinking you hear something in the night or seeing something that's not there. I easily get creeped out at night thinking I heard or saw something that only my imagination conjured. After a scary movie is the worst time for that.

Though this is a fear/phobia post, I still feel obligated to provide the "a phobia is not a fear" disclaimer.

That said, I'm insectophobic.

Water too deep for me to stand in with my head above the surface. The closest I've been to a proper term is Aquaphobia, though that actually encompasses the fear of water in general (being splashed unexpectedly, water in a bathtub, etc).

I'm also deathly afraid of insects and spiders, but ONLY when they touch my skin, or fly (where applicable) really close to my face and/or ears. If they stay away from me, I'm pretty much cool with them (though out of the fear of them touching me, I try to get them into a cup or other container to throw them outside).

Furthermore, I'm afraid of walking up on a dead body at random. Since I was young and my father told me about that happening to my half brother, I've been afraid to experience the same thing.

You know I never quite understood this fear of water. Oh, the term can be hydrophobia too. Anyway, I ask myself why is there a fear of water when one encounters water everyday (drinks water) Kindly explain. Thanks. I find it interesting and ironic, hehe.

You know I never quite understood this fear of water. Oh, the term can be hydrophobia too. Anyway, I ask myself why is there a fear of water when one encounters water everyday (drinks water) Kindly explain. Thanks. I find it interesting and ironic, hehe.

Phobias are typically irrational by definition. There's usually not much explanation to be had. In Wahya's case the phobia is a bit more rational, in that is has to do with drowning, probably. But for water in general, there's not likely to be much explanation, even if there was an original trigger.

Phobias are typically irrational by definition. There's usually not much explanation to be had. In Wahya's case the phobia is a bit more rational, in that is has to do with drowning, probably. But for water in general, there's not likely to be much explanation, even if there was an original trigger.

Ah... tongue.gif

--------

I feel like a ninja when i encounter a certain fear, what's that? Insects

I have a strange fear of clowns and people in animal costumes.

I censorkip.gif you not.

It's not that hard for me to hide it, but I tend to avoid them, and I don't like being near them. Just, the silent people in the costumes... I actually can't explain it, honestly. Clowns just have the eeriest expressions, and I've never found them funny. Same as the costume wearers, I can't explain my fear, it's just an irrational fear. (Though Gamzee Makara of Homestuck has not helped me overcome it. He did at first. THEN HE DIDN'T)

Another, less irrational fear of mine, is the fear of being pooped on by a bird. Which is pretty ironic because if you know me, you'll know that I love birds and anything to do with them. Except their poop.

When I was seven, my mother took me and my four siblings to a zoo, (I don't know what zoo, but it was in wildwood, nj) we were having a fun time; we all loved the animals! I was totally in love with the Red Pandas, oh my gosh <3 When we got to the Howler Monkeys, we were all, let's say, pooped. I plopped down on a bench as my older sister, then nine, began howling at the lounging animals.

Suddenly, my leg, right by my right ankle, felt warm, really warm. It burned! My mother looked over immediately, and I promptly began to cry. There was bird crap on my leg. We didn't have anything to wipe it off- my youngest brother was fresh out of diapers- thus, were began to hurry around for something. Well, hurrying as much as a mother with four children ranging from two to nine while one has something scalding her leg can. A saint of a mother with younger kids had some baby wipes, and she offered them to us, and my leg was soon clean.

But now I'm really scared a bird's gonna crap on me 8(

I've been pooped on by a bird on my elbow while walking into a restaurant. It didn't burn or anything, and at most it was annoying.

Since I have a similar phobia, I think I can explain my own personal version.

First of all, I don't fear water. In fact, I love it. Baths are especially nice. But swimming in an ocean or pools brings about an uneasy feeling that I'll suddenly be dragged under by some sort of carnivorous animal. I'm fine in extremely shallow waters or water that is contained in a small area but large bodies of water frighten me. Even pools. It is very active when I can't see through the water and less active when the water is clear.

So it's not a fear of water. And, oddly enough, it is also not a fear of sharks. I like to snorkel in tanks with sharks and have no problem with it. But swimming in the ocean or in a pool frightens me. I think, in my case, it isn't a fear of water so much as an irrational fear of what could possibly be in the water and I get unnerved when I can't see through the water or there aren't people around to help if something does happen.

Levophobia/Sinistrophobia; The fear of things to my left.

For instance, I'm also pyrophobic, which is the fear of fire. A fire behind, in front, or to my right will be a LOT less terrifying than if said fire just happened to be to my left side.

It doesn't mean that standing to my left will mean I'm suddenly afraid of you, but rather that scary things are much more scary if they're to my left.

Arachnophobic. I couldn't find the name for the fear of elevators, but yeah, they scare me, too. Also terrified of sleeping if there are other people in the same room, no matter who it may be. Peccatophobia, the fear of committing crimes, sometimes making you mistake an innocent action for a crime.

Quite a bit more, but I can't think of them right now smile.gif

ETA: Oh yeah, to add on to the Levophobia/Sinistrophobia... If I do happen to be scared of a person for some other reason, these phobias also amplify the fear if I know said person is left-handed. So yeah, don't attack me after telling me you're left-handed, mk?

Edited by Aquenee

Trypophobia: fear of holes, especially clustered, small or on living things.

Basically things like seed pods, insect hives, Queen Chrysalis, those toads that keep their babies under their back skin, that sort of thing... Looking at them makes me feel sick. They remind me of maggot's holes, of the dreams I had when I was younger where I'd have things like ant's nests or loads of maggots inside me. *shudder*

I went into this building a couple of days ago where the whole ceiling in about three rooms was covered holes- it was like being in a giant wasp's nest, it was horrible!

Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles.

Well, not so much pins as needles. I HATE injections; watching other people have them on TV makes me shiver and shake. The idea that I might have to have something like a biopsy where they jam a needle into your bones and it really hurts... URGH.

Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns.

Automatonophobia- Fear of ventriloquist's dummies, animatronic creatures, wax statues - anything that falsly represents a sentient being.

No Gamzee, no Krusty, no Slappy or Gabbo, no Rozen Maiden, no Chucky, no mimes, no thanks!

Parasitophobia- Fear of parasites.

Gerascophobia- Fear of growing old.

Illyngophobia- Fear of vertigo or feeling dizzy when looking down.

I couldn't find a specific fear of falling- I'm okay with heights and flying, as long as it's secure and I'm sure I'm not going to fall, ie it doesn't wobble even a tiny bit, it hasn't got any gaps and it isn't see-through.

I've been pooped on by a bird on my elbow while walking into a restaurant. It didn't burn or anything, and at most it was annoying.

It may have been vomit from the howler monkeys, idk.

It was hot out, and I distinctly remember it burning. It looked like bird poop, and it burned, and now I don't wanna get pooped on by a bird, it's kinda just an association thing now too.

Trypophobia: fear of holes, especially clustered, small or on living things.

Basically things like seed pods, insect hives, Queen Chrysalis, those toads that keep their babies under their back skin, that sort of thing... Looking at them makes me feel sick. They remind me of maggot's holes, of the dreams I had when I was younger where I'd have things like ant's nests or loads of maggots inside me. *shudder*

I went into this building a couple of days ago where the whole ceiling in about three rooms was covered holes- it was like being in a giant wasp's nest, it was horrible!

Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles.

Well, not so much pins as needles. I HATE injections; watching other people have them on TV makes me shiver and shake. The idea that I might have to have something like a biopsy where they jam a needle into your bones and it really hurts... URGH.

Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns.

Automatonophobia- Fear of ventriloquist's dummies, animatronic creatures, wax statues - anything that falsly represents a sentient being.

No Gamzee, no Krusty, no Slappy or Gabbo, no Rozen Maiden, no Chucky, no mimes, no thanks!

Parasitophobia- Fear of parasites.

Gerascophobia- Fear of growing old.

Illyngophobia- Fear of vertigo or feeling dizzy when looking down.

I couldn't find a specific fear of falling- I'm okay with heights and flying, as long as it's secure and I'm sure I'm not going to fall, ie it doesn't wobble even a tiny bit, it hasn't got any gaps and it isn't see-through.

Oh, hey, I'm also afraid of clowns, dummies, needles and pins. Basically, I'm acared with sharp objects or pointy objects like needles, pins, knives, etc. I'm not scared of pencils though....

I might have mild acrophobia, or maybe I'm just afraid of heights. I dunno. Probably the latter. When I went on the "Spirit of New Zealand", I spent a while clinging to the mast and screaming before I was convinced to continue to climb to the top...not my finest hour. xd.png

Also hydrophobia. It's gotten better as of late, but when I sailed with the club back at high school I spend half my time yelling at the skipper to please not let the boat capsize because I didn't want to drown. I dunno. I have this vision in my head of being sucked under or something, despite the fact that we always wear buoyancy vests.

People used to joke that I was a hypochondriac as well, because whenever someone else is sick I worry mostly about myself, and I often think that I am sick or that some action I have taken (e.g; eating a corn chip without first washing my hands) will make me sick. But I looked up "hypochondria", and I'm not quite that extreme. Besides, I fear a lot of other things; so I think I'm more just generally anxious. xd.png

I also went to donate blood once, but I couldn't get my heart rate low enough for them to let me go ahead. So apparently I'm scared of that, too. However, I'm okay with ordinary injections (confirmed as of the last year or so xP).

Edited by Thorn

I have serious pteronophobia (fear of feathers), which seems a little pathetic but it's actually a problem for me. Even thinking about feathers makes me shiver.

I got pet birds, thinking it would help with the problem, and it actually has to some extent. Now I can deal with feathers when I know the bird they came from.

Basically, if one of my budgies drops a feather, I'm okay with it. I actually love petting them and playing with them, which is something my family never thought they'd see. xd.png

If a random bird flying overhead happens to drop a feather, I scream/run/hide or any combination of the three. If it touches me you get double the hysterics.