georgexu94

Fears/Phobias

I have:

Slight acrophobia, for example if I'm up somewhere high, even in a building or something, I get at least a little shaky. I once went up a tower to the very top and I could feel it swaying.

Although I get more scared when I go to this mall not far off from home. It has two stories and the second one has these two great gaps looking down onto the first floor and has glass handrails. The handrails are far too short, they only reach just above my hips, and they are entirely made of glass.

Also, put me on any sort of glass floor with a drop beneath it and I have to crawl out of there.

Agryophobia, the fear of crossing roads. I'm fine on streets with little traffic, but as soon as I reach a busy road or specifically one with traffic lights I have to be next to someone else, or else I won't cross. Fortunately though this one is slight.

Claustrophobia, the fear of being closed in and having no escape. I have this one pretty badly, especially in elevators. I hate elevators, the damn things. It doesn't matter whether I'm with someone or not. Just the knowing that I'm above a several metre high drop and hanging only by a few ropes is bad enough, and power shortages could leave you trapped in there forever. And I freak out if the elevator creaks, clunks or makes any other abnormal noise.

Also gelotophobia, the fear of being laughed at. I make so many dumb blunders in public it's not funny, and it's one of the reasons I almost always refuse to socialize now.

Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns. I don't hate them, but I have a strong aversion to them.

Pediophobia, the fear of dolls. I hate dolls >_>

Also phonophobia, hypersensitivity to sound causing aversion to sounds. Sounds drive me crazy very easily and I prefer being in as much silence as possible.

I probably have more, those are just the ones I can remember.

Edited by rampaging wyvern

A phobia is a diagnosable medical condition, so it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to understand why people are animal-phobic. However, this statement makes about as much sense as "I honestly can't see why anyone would be bipolar/depressed/OCD/ADHD/schizophrenic/what have you."

A phobia is a diagnosable medical condition, so it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to understand why people are animal-phobic. However, this statement makes about as much sense as "I honestly can't see why anyone would be bipolar/depressed/OCD/ADHD/schizophrenic/what have you."

-_- There I go again, making a fool of myself. I know people can't help having phobias, it's just that *I*, *personally* can't see why one would be scared of a creature. All I know is that people are and I do respect that. And as for that comparison, I most definitely do not think that about people with such mental conditions and therefore don't see how it's remotely similar to what I said beforehand. But I'm merely repeating what I said and getting nowhere, as I have absolutely no points to go on.

If it's so terrible I'll delete it.

This is sort of like what it's like for me in real life. I make a statement and everyone's jumping on me for this and that. And the reason I rarely post now. lulz.

sleep.gif There I go again, making a fool of myself. I know people can't help having phobias, it's just that *I*, *personally* can't see why one would be scared of a creature. All I know is that people are and I do respect that. And as for that comparison, I most definitely do not think that about people with such mental conditions and therefore don't see how it's remotely similar to what I said beforehand. But I'm merely repeating what I said and getting nowhere, as I have absolutely no points to go on.

If it's so terrible I'll delete it.

This is sort of like what it's like for me in real life. I make a statement and everyone's jumping on me for this and that. And the reason I rarely post now. lulz.

Don't worry about it. This is just my personal thing. As it is, I'm a diagnosed insectophobic and I have to deal with a lot of "It's just a fly! It can't hurt you! You're being rediculous!" that I can't control without years of therapy. It's left me a little bitter. Don't take it personally, I just consider the term "phobia" to be as misused as other mental disorders such as those listed. But unlike those, I rarely see people speak out in defense of it. Every couple of posts in this topic I tend to chime in that a phobia =/= a fear. This is sort of just my soap box.

Agryophobia, the fear of crossing roads. I'm fine on streets with little traffic, but as soon as I reach a busy road or specifically one with traffic lights I have to be next to someone else, or else I won't cross. Fortunately though this one is slight.

Coulrophobia, the fear of clowns. I don't hate them, but I have a strong aversion to them. They're hardly human, after all.

Pediophobia, the fear of dolls. I hate dolls >_>

Are you sure this is the roght naming of phobias, because as I hear them Agryophobia sounds me like you fear of rage and pediophobia like you fear of children...

And please don't say clowns are hardly human, One of the best writters called Menelaos Marinos was a clown.

Are you sure this is the roght naming of phobias, because as I hear them Agryophobia sounds me like you fear of rage and pediophobia like you fear of children...

And please don't say clowns are hardly human, One of the best writters called Menelaos Marinos was a clown.

Why is it that everyone seems to have something to pick with my posts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias

As far as I know those names are correct.

And I am extremely sorry, but that is my interpretation of them. The way they're permanently smiling, their makeup... it just makes me want to get away. I have never heard of that person you mentioned either, so I'm very sorry about that. I shall go edit that out.

I have no phobias but... yeah, I know I really despise insects and if I notice, even a disgusting small bug, on my shoulders/legs/arms/whatever, I will get scared, try to get the little git off me and perhaps even scream. (sorry for the word lol)

I am also afraid of rotten fruits/vegetables/food in general.

I am afraid of mould. I am afraid of diseases. I want those things AWAY from me and anyone else around!

(Eh, not that the rotten apple will want to eat me alive, but, it's just something horrifying! x_x)

I don't know about an exact "phobia" but bugs (particularly spiders) make me squeemish. Snakes to an extent as well.

Just recently, I've stared to develop a fear of needles.

That's really something, coming from the person who takes at least 4 shots a day (because I'm diabetic.) It's strange really. Not so much fear, but a mixture of fear/dread/nausea. I think that it's...when someone else is holding the needle. I have no issue with giving myself shots, although the needles I use are quite short.

The length of needles really has something to do with it. Recently, my mother was in the hospital and seeing her IV was enough to make me gag and come close to throwing up. I don't know why, but, ugh. I can't stand the thought.

I have bad memories w/ longer needles too, I suppose. My horrible doctors (who likely don't have much a clue as to what they're doing) told me I was dehydrated, and thus wanted me on an IV. 6 jabs to my tiny veins later, I was in so much pain I almost passed out, and they took me to the hospital instead. We get there, they run a blood test, and, "Oh look, you aren't dehydrated at all~" dry.gif

Other people injecting me with whatever. Goodness. *shudder*

Edited by xxBurningxx

I'm scared of the dark, and guns. I have no idea why I'm scared of guns, though oO I used to go out to the shooting range when I was younger, and I'm able to shoot the middle of a target, but now whenever I see a gun I get shaky and scared. Irrational.

I'm also mildly afraid of spiders, but as long as they dont touch me I'm fine. My room is near the attic of our house, and as a result I have spiders EVERYWHERE. We have an agreement though; when I'm in the room, they stay in the corners. If I find one near me, it's getting killed.

I once tried to torch a spiders nest in the corner of my room, but a new colony just set up camp after I had burned the old ones to death >.O

I sleep downstairs a lot tongue.gif

I'm afraid of long foxes pool drains, but I'm fine with drains in showers, sinks etc. To be more precise I'm not deathly afraid of them otherwise I wouldn't be swimming in the first place. I just hate being near them, accidently stepping on them makes me queasy and I used to have nightmares about being sucked in the deep end. I googled this and thankfully I'm not alone but dang...those things are sketchy.

Relevant

Edited by Booo

I have Phobicphobophobia, or the phobia of fear of phobias.

user posted image

j/k sempai

Haaah... I've mostly gotten over my phobia of tendons and wrists, at least to the point where I can grab my own wrist and only feel slightly uncomfortable. Still afraid of the dark though. v(9_6)v

Why is it that everyone seems to have something to pick with my posts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phobias

As far as I know those names are correct.

And I am extremely sorry, but that is my interpretation of them. The way they're permanently smiling, their makeup... it just makes me want to get away. I have never heard of that person you mentioned either, so I'm very sorry about that. I shall go edit that out.

That wasn't personal, I just asked because most of the phobias are greek words e.g. arachnophobia αράχνη (spider) and φοβία (fear). Pedo probably is from the word παιδί (child) that's why I asked. And no offend, but Idon't trust wikipedia for diagnosis or for information becauuse anyone can write inside.

That wasn't personal, I just asked because most of the phobias are greek words e.g. arachnophobia αράχνη (spider) and φοβία (fear). Pedo probably is from the word παιδί (child) that's why I asked. And no offend, but Idon't trust wikipedia for diagnosis or for information becauuse anyone can write inside.

90% of the phobias you see on lists like that aren't medically used. Since they're made by mashing roots together, pretty much anyone can "make" a phobia, but few (if any) people suffer from some of them.

Acrophobia--Heights

Aichmophobia--Pointed objects

Apiphobia--Bees

I have a serious phobia of bees and wasps. I won't go outside in the spring or summer just because I'm afraid of seeing a bee/wasp. And I don't mind holding a knife, etc. But if someone else is holding something sharp, I wig out! I don't like heights, either, I really don't!

I also have really bad paranoia. REALLY bad. If I think that there might just possibly be a bug somewhere in the bathroom, I shake out towels, I check every nook and crannie, I don't rest until I'm satisfied. And it takes quite a bit to satisfy my paranoia.

I'm also squeamish, and I hate being scared! I don't read scary stories, I don't watch scary movies. I can't see most gore. I don't really mind if it's animals, like in the wild or on animal planet. But anything that happens to humans freaks me out. I can't even watch a sword fight on tv! D:

And if I see a bee in a book or movie, DEAR LORDY. I FREAK. OUT. And it's not even alive! DX DX DX

I think I'm getting over my balloon fear

still have my frog/toad phobia

still hate to even see the words

I'ma lockiophobic, had to watch "the miracle of life" in 7th grade scarred me for life, had to watch it again in 10th grade, skipped class. :|

Haaah... I've mostly gotten over my phobia of tendons and wrists, at least to the point where I can grab my own wrist and only feel slightly uncomfortable. Still afraid of the dark though. v(9_6)v

Used to have a phobia of tendons/wrists. I refused to bend my wrist backwards even a little bit, because it made me feel queasy and strangely paranoid - and people grabbing my wrists was my biggest vulnerability. I'm pretty much over it by now. Still gives me a weird feeling when I bend my wrist back though.

I'ma lockiophobic, had to watch "the miracle of life" in 7th grade scarred me for life, had to watch it again in 10th grade, skipped class. :|

Wow, I'd hate to see that now

Used to have a phobia of tendons/wrists. I refused to bend my wrist backwards even a little bit, because it made me feel queasy and strangely paranoid - and people grabbing my wrists was my biggest vulnerability. I'm pretty much over it by now. Still gives me a weird feeling when I bend my wrist back though.

Oh man! I've never met anyone who ever shared that fear! =o Hey there.

Yeah, my parents would grab my wrists to help me "get over it". I couldn't lift things with my wrists so much as I had to lift with my shoulders because I couldn't stand to see my tendons pop out like that. And yeah, I know the "bending wrist backwards thing", I normally keep my hands kind of curled up because of it.

I still get a lump in my throat with any of those things still ehehe... still working on it!

I have what I can only describe as some form of (usually) somewhat mild Hypochondriasis, both in the sense of thinking that mild symptoms are indicative of some kind of serious disease (I sometimes panic and assume I have stomach cancer or something when I have anxiety-related nausea or something) and in the sense of being excessively concerned about contracting a disease of some sort, which tends to lead to having panic attacks when reading or learning about disease-related (and sometimes just in general medical-related) things (both of which suck because I'm also actually intensely fascinated by diseases and medical science and I have at least once accidentally triggered a panic attack myself because I couldn't stop reading) as well as an excessive need to sanitize things. I also tend to check my pulse obsessively. It's usually a lot worse on days when my anxiety spikes.

I also have a phobia of being penetrated that pretty much prevents me from even being able to use tampons because the thought of having something in there induces a visceral "GET IT OUT" reaction (which in turn triggers some kind of reflex that prevents me from being able to put it in even if I wanted to.) Going to a gynecologist is going to be hell. :N

Edited by Pika_Oi

Mine:

Heights

Drowning (its so bad I cannot swim in a shallow pool without a spotter)

Fire

Things. I cannot fully express this fear. It isnt the fear of the dark but the millions od cryptozooligical THINGS that could be there.

Losing my hair

Losing my teeth

Needles placed in specific locations; spine, joints, under finger and toe nails

Being poisoned

Doctors (I was abused by one at a young age)

Cancer

Being alone (not in the sense of not having a relationship, i mean physically by myself)

riding in cars

germs

Because of these, I actually had to get a comfort object, the Champ Build-A-Bear. My boyfriend helped me make it so I could carry it around and keep calm.

Edited by LokisLady

I have something called aphenphosmaphobia. The fear of being touched. I absolutely hate being touched in most places. My arms and legs are okay, but any area that is covered by clothes... I just can't stand it. My neck is the worst area, along with my torso. I HATE IT SO MUCH. I can't stand it. I hate it.