chicbecause

Middle Earth

Larien had somewhat expected the talk of her past to be brought up. "I haven't had all too much of a past. Mother and Father took great care to teach me as much as possible, though they allowed me to have my time alone as well. Goings on at Rivendell have been slow. Not much has happened there for some time before I left. So I am afraid my history isn't as interesting as you might have expected. In truth, it was rather typical for anyone." She responded after a sigh. The elf hadn't been inside Rivendell for at least five years after she had chosen to set off on her own for a few years to see what she could in the world.

((Ryujin, not meaning to nit-pick, but I think you may have a later setting in mind. This is set 30 years after the events of The Hobbit which makes it about 30 years before the beginning events of the Lord of the Rings, and 9 years before Theoden becomes king.

Also, in case anyone’s curious: Legolas is probably somewhere between 500 and 1971 (couldn’t find an exact birth date); Gimli is 92; Aragorn is 40; Frodo is 3; and the rest of the Fellowship haven’t been born yet. Yeah, I’m quite the dork, and couldn’t resist figuring it out at the start xd.png. I have the dates for a few more people and events as well…just in case they come in handy later wink.gif.))

Since no one else took the offered bowl, Shala gave a small shrug as she sat down and started eating. She figured if the others decided they wanted some stew, they could dish their own. She listened as Adrrar described the Wild Men, and told of his experience. When he finished, she sat in silence as she realized that she most likely wouldn’t have even tried to forgive them.

When Vaughn spoke again, Shala had to clench her jaw to bite back a contemptuous remark. As the Elf walked away, Shala briefly glared at her back, but then her look became pensive as she thought about the fact that Adrrar had tried to forgive those who killed his family. Dropping her gaze to her bowl, she wondered if perhaps she should try to forgive the Elves. After all, they weren’t the ones who killed her cousins, and Elves and Men fought, and died, beside the Dwarves in that battle. She wondered if perhaps it’d be best to focus on that fact rather than dwell on how her kin had been wronged. Still… they had been wronged, and she couldn’t help but think of a line from a song, ‘The Dwarves no more shall suffer wrong’.

Shaking her head to get her thoughts back on track, she looked back to Adrrar. “You are right,” she said in an understanding tone, but then her voice turned hard as she continued, “Whatever its form, evil does not deserve mercy…” She paused for a moment, and then sang the last line of the same song, “‘Ever so our foes shall fall.’”

Terinze had simply been listening, making no comments s he tended his horse. He finally spoke up to Vaughn when she mentioned a Hobbit.

"A hobbit, you say? They are queer little creatures. Though Gandalf speaks highly of them, the wizard is very fond of the Halflings." He said, mainly to the horse, but it didn't matter to him who heard him.

He turned to the fire and held out a package of Lembas wrapped in leaves.

"Would anyone care for any?" He offered.

(Short post is short)

(Lord of the rings mythology is not my strong suit. Assume that I am saying what makes sense if I say something wrong lol.)

Adrrar looked up at the elf and shook his head at the offer. "No thanks." He said, taking another spoonful of the stew. "So, we have had meetings in the past about this venture, but never really discussed the ultimate goal, at least not with me. What is the goal here? Do we go to seek something hidden? Slay a beast? What does the future of this group hold?"

((Can do wink.gif. Honestly, it’s not really my strong suit either, so I know what you mean. I only know the movies plus a few bits of back-story that I looked up, and was curious about how old some of the characters would be, and when some events will/have happen(ed).))

Shala looked at Terinze when he started to speak, and for once, found herself grudgingly agreeing with an Elf… Hobbits were odd indeed. She eyed the package, and thinking of what she’d heard about Elven food, she couldn’t help but wonder if it could really be that bad. “I would like to try some…thank you,” she said, and then waved her hand to the stack of bowls as she asked, “Will you have some stew?”

She turned back to Adrrar, and said, “The goal is to strike a blow to the evil of the world. The first step is to find the Ring of Power.” To be honest, she wasn’t sure what the plan was for after they found the Ring, but she fervently believed that it needed to be destroyed… However, could she trust the Elves to see it through to that end?

(No one knows about the ring of power. At this point in time the ring is still bilbo's. I just read the Hobbit and am reading the Fellowship of the Ring :-)!)

Vaughn nodded asLarien shared her history then turned to Terinze saying: "Yes. A hobbit! You wouldn't expect one on any sort of adventure, certinly not the dragon slaying kind." Her eyes sparkled in the fire light"Yes, thank you." She said in reply to his question.

((Just so everyone's aware... I'm not an expert on the history either. I've read The Hobbit about 7 times... and never really got through The Fellowship of the Ring before my friend decided to barrow the book and then loose it. I've seen all the movies more times than I could count (including The Hobbit part 1 that was out rather recently) so I am aware of what is going on as much as I can be. Plus, I tend to look things up if I don't understand.

I also still have a habit of disappearing... busy weeks coming up too due to testing.))

Larien had moved off the tree after the discussion of hobbits came up even more. She had only briefly met a traveling one once that had not gone far at all from The Shire in the first place. It had been completely by accident and both agreed to never speak of the subject again. She could only imagine what the smaller creature had thought of her.

When the subject of food came about again, it didn't quite peak her interest as much as it seemed. "I would like a little, though I would like to try the stew as well. Thank you both." The elf finally spoke to them without being forced. She took a piece of Lembas and then spooned some stew into a bowl.

"As for the goal, one of the main goals should be not to get into too much trouble. We wouldn't want anyone getting too hurt or lost on this journey." Larien stated as she took a small bite of the Lembas. "Anything else from that could be chocked up to what we run into." She raised a hand, smiling a little as she remembered something perhaps useful. "Now I do know for a fact that both previous meetings that were held did speak of a few odd creatures without much detail. They also mentioned something similar to what Shala had spoken of, broken up into bits and pieces of her story on the dragon and with no mention of this Hobbit. None at all. Which I find interesting enough. If this Halfling did kill the Great Dragon, then he should have been mentioned for it in at least one of the meetings."

((now I hope you all do remember we proposed the idea of two previous meetings to cover for Shala not knowing Adrrar at first smile.gif and I basically had bits and pieces of the first post in those few sentences.... give us a bit of direction I guess.))

Adrrar listened quietly as the others spoke, sipping at the broth of the stew. They didn't seem to have a real direction as of yet, so he was trying to think of something. "If our goal is to strike at evil, then I have an idea of where to go." He said, putting his bowl to the side and crouching down to draw in the dirt. "We are here." He said, drawing a small x. "This is Fangorn." He drew a squiggly line parallel to the x before it curved to the left and ended. "These are the misty mountains, and this is the gap of Rohan." He finished it before adding a small tower and a river. "Ok, that's Isengard, and its namesake, the river Isen. Now, the wild men attack through the gap of Rohan and pillage villages here. I have been patrolling on this side of the Isen, but I haven't gone across and north into their territory. We could do so with our numbers, kill their chief and destroy their moral, make them think twice before the try attacking Rohan again. The problem would be how to get there. It is a long walk from here, south and past Isengard before turning north and entering their territory. We could make a quicker trip if we knew a path over the misty mountains, but even if we did, it would still be blocked by Fangorn."

((elpdraws, I know smile.gif, but the first post says, “…went on a quest to find the Ring of Power. They wouldn't find it of course, because little did they know it rested in the Shire.” Though that’s what I was working from, we could just as easily go with searching for an “evil artifact” instead, or the general “strike at evil” angle. *shrug* It works either way… I’m agreeable. wink.gif ))

Shala took a small piece of the offered Lembas, and as she took a tentative bite, she was a little disgruntled to find that it tasted better than cram. Of course, she wasn’t going to let them know that. She nodded when Larien said she’d have some stew, and she wondered how the Elf would like Dwarven food. Listening while finishing her Lembas, she couldn’t help but wonder if these Elves had bothered to listen to her. While she couldn’t remember if she’d mentioned the Hobbit during their previous meeting, she knew she’d spoken of him earlier.

“Ah, but I did mention the Hobbit earlier,” Shala said to Larien a slightly admonishing smile, “and it was not he who killed the Terrible Dragon, but rather Bard of Dale. Though make no mistake, this Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, was an important part of the company which reclaimed Erebor. Not only did he discover the dragon’s weakness, but he also rushed to the aid of Thorin Oakenshield despite overwhelming numbers and a complete lack of training or skill, freed the Dwarves from the giant spiders, helped them escape…,” she hesitated for a moment as she resisted the urge to glare at Vaughn and Terinze, “imprisonment, and was instrumental in entering the Lonely Mountain. Thus, he will ever be honored in our halls. As for trouble,” she gave a slight chuckle. “Well, by the very nature of our journey, trouble will be nigh impossible to avoid.”

She then turned her attention to Adrrar’s map. His idea seemed as good a place to start as any. Thinking of a map she’d once studied, she said, “The only paths I’m familiar with are the Redhorn Pass which is north of here on Caradhras,” she crouched as well, and made a mark on the line that was the mountains, “and the High Pass which is even further north near the Goblin Caves.” She made a second mark, even though she knew they wouldn’t be using that path. “It would appear that whichever direction we travel, we are in for a long walk.”

((Looking at a map of Middle Earth… If they decide on this plan, it looks like the direction they’d take would depend on which edge of Fangorn they’re on. If it’s the south or east, then the Gap of Rohan would be closer, but if it’s the north or north-east, then there’s not much difference distance wise, but Redhorn Pass might be an easier trip…at least until they have to climb the mountain?))

Adrrar frowned at Shala's suggestion, thinking it over. "I would rather not brave the red horn pass." He said after a few seconds. "That pass is treacherous, and hardly any who go up ever come down. However, I know that High pass would do us well. The Beornings have kept it safe since the quest to Erebor. We cross there and stay in Rivendell, restock and supply ourselves before turning south and going into Dunland." He drew the whole route out and sat back on his heels. "I believe that would be the easiest and best route to take."

Rivendell. Larien's attention had already been pretty set on the routes, though when the mention of her home came up she thought over the route again. It would work and she could get them into Rivendell without much problems. "Once we enter Rivendell I can grant us safe passage and stay for the remainder of our time spent there. It will create very little hassle." She offered, figuring it was the least she could actually offer.

Listening to the others, Shala was a little surprised that Adrrar suggested going as far north as the High Pass rather than south to the Gap of Rohan, but she wasn’t surprised that he wouldn’t want to take the Redhorn Pass. “Aye lad, I agree with you on the Redhorn Pass. It’s not called Caradhras the Cruel for naught. I’d say taking the High Pass is a sound plan, and Larien,” she nodded with a slight smile to the Elf, “with your aid and guidance, I’m sure we’ll have a…pleasant stay in Rivendell.” Though she kept her tone semi-friendly, part of her bitterly wondered if they’d have to sneak away before daybreak, but she pushed that thought aside as she couldn’t see any reason why they would be impeded. Disregarding the thought all together, she continued, “Still, even with the Beornings, it’d probably be best to use caution while so close to Goblin Town.”

She fell silent as she pondered the scrawled map for a moment. She knew their journey would take them near Azanulbizar, and she found herself hoping she’d be able to stop at Mirrormere if even for a few moments. Of course, that path would also take them near Lothlorien, but with luck, they won’t have the need to travel through it.

Edited by starphyre77

Adrrar looked around at the group then nodded, sitting back up on his stump. "Then it is agreed? We head to the High pass to Rivendell, resupply there, then go south to Dunland. Unless there are objections?" He looked about him, unsure of what else to say. He hated the wild men yes, but he had only thrown this course of action out for lack of a better option. If someone had something else, he was willing to listen.

Terinze put the remaining Lembas back into the bag, politely refusing stew. He sat down on the ground near the fire and pulled his knees close to his chest, humming to himself and inspecting his arrows. Listening to what everyone else had to say became his main objective. He caught Shala's glare at the mention of imprisonment and did his best to ignore it, he didn't need to be arguing with a dwarf right now.

Dwarves. They were such irritating creatures sometimes. Them with their horrid holes and caverns, drilling into the ground with large combersome tools. Chopping down trees with their rough axes. No apriciation for nature. It was simply not sensible, or plesent.They would pay gold to be allowed entrance to a cave were as Terinze for one would pay double to be excused. But for this journey, he had to put aside his discomfort in travelling with dwarves.

((Um. I'm...not really sure how to say this, but I think I might have to drop out. I don't have that much time to go on every day, so...yeah. I guess this is it. Bye!))

Still a little lost in her thoughts, Shala absently nodded at Adrrar’s first question, but when he asked if there were any objections, she looked to the others. Larien had seemed to agree with the plan, so that left Terinze and Vaughn. She gave them a questioning look as she wondered what their thoughts were on the matter.

"I see no reason to object." Vaughn felt for the emrald necklace. She wore it day and night, not quite sure why it ment anything to her, it had no history or magic. She fixed her gaze upon Adrrar, she was curious about him and his history with the wild men.

Adrrar nodded again and pointed. "We will need to go north along the edge of Fangorn, then follow the mountains until we find the pass. The sooner we start the better, but it is up to you if we camp for now or begin moving. I do not wish to linger any longer then needed, so I believe that moving now is the best way to go."

(Not quite sure what time of day it is.)

( I think Its around 9 or 11 pm.)

She remained silent, still holding the necklace. She waited to see what Shala would say about Rivendell.

((I kind of had the impression that it was later in the day to evening as well…))

Shala nodded when Vaughn also agreed, and she nodded again when Adrrar laid out the route they’d take. She was a little apprehensive about going to Rivendell, but she really didn’t think that anyone – not even Elves – would take issue with their goals, so said Elves would have no cause to try to stop them. Thus, she decided to keep her thoughts on the on the matter to herself. Of course, if the Elves of Rivendell did try to stop them, then they’d find out what Larien would be willing to do to carry through on her word.

She figured that the three Elves would be looking forward to going to Rivendell, and couldn’t know Adrrar’s take on it, but she was looking forward to a different place. Dropping her gaze to the map again, her eye was drawn to a point not far from where she’d marked Redhorn Pass. “I know that it would not do to linger…as you said,” she said with a glance to Adrrar. “However, since our path will take us through Dimrill Dale, I ask to pause at Mirrormere.” She knelt down to the map again, and made another mark where she thought to be right. To her, it didn’t seem to be an unreasonable request. After all, it wasn’t like she was asking to go to the gates of Khazad-dûm, nor to find the place where her grandfathers were cremated after the Battle of Azanulbizar.

Edited by starphyre77

Adrrar glanced at the others then shrugged. "I don't mind as we are in no rush, but I would ask what is there that we must stop for? I do not know of anything there that is significant, although I have not been there myself." He said, frowning a little.

Vaughn smiled slightly, no longer wanting to talk to men or dwarves, she turned to the trees....