chicbecause

Middle Earth

Still kneeling, Shala gazed absently at the map while her thoughts were on the tales she’d grown up with. “Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla,” she said somewhat wistfully as she stood back up. Looking to Adrrar, she smiled and said, “It is only significant to Dwarves…Mirrormere is a lake in Dimrill Dale. When Durin came upon the lake, he looked into the still water, and though it was day, the stars were reflected as a crown upon his head. It was clearly a sign from Mahal, and thus Durin founded Khazad-dûm in the caves above.” Her gaze went to the horizon as her eyes took a distant look. “To see this wonder that I’ve only heard about… that I’d never dared hope to see…” She touched the fingers of her left hand over her heart. “I…I just…” Unable to form the adequate words, she faltered to a stop, and then with a half-sigh half-chuckle, she looked back to Adrrar as she lowered her hand. Her voice returned to normal as she said, “That is why I ask to stop.”

Edited by starphyre77

Adrrar listened quietly as Shala spoke, imagining what she was talking about and thinking what it would be like to see something like that. "It isn't far off our route, I think we can make a stop." He said with a small smile, one of the rare ones he gave.

He sat quietly for awhile, watching the burning embers and thinking about days gone by, about happier and simpler times. He shook himself from his thoughts and looked back at Shala. "I have heard him spoken of by other dwarves, but I do not know who this Durin is. He is obviously important, but why is that so?" He asked, trying to keep his mind away from things that were painful to think about.

Terinze listened silently to the conversation. "If we are all in agreement, I propose we set out as soon as possible." He suggested, speaking for the first time in a while.

((Forgive me for disappearing. I've had tons of testing going on... and still do...))

Larien listened to the conversation again, thinking about the small words Shala spoke about. The lake's description intrigued her though she also knew that the caves she also spoke of could be considered dangerous. She knew enough of Dwarves to know they guarded treasure well, and almost to any means. Hopefully the lake wasn't guarded so well.

Shala was dumbstruck by Adrrar’s question, and for a moment gave him a blank look. Durin was such a prominent figure in Dwarven history that she never imagined that there could be those who didn’t know who he was. Realizing she was gaping, she shook her head and said, “I apologize, but you see that is a question I would have never expected to hear. Why is Durin important, you ask… Well, here is a rather brief history of, arguably, the greatest Dwarf to have ever lived: As the first Dwarf created by Mahal, Durin the Deathless was the eldest of the Seven Fathers, and all Dwarves, not just Durin’s Folk, honor his name. He founded the house of Durin’s Folk, obviously, as well as the great city of Khazad-dûm, or Moria as you most likely know it. After living to a great age, he finally slept, but has been reborn to rule five times, and will return once more... There is, of course, much more to Durin’s tale, but this is not the time for that.”

At Terinze’s words, she nodded and turned back to the fire. She took first the stew pot and then the cooking tripod out of the heat, and set them on the ground to cool. As she packed up the rest of her gear, she wondered what she was going to do with the left over stew. She wasn’t the least bit offended that Terinze and Vaughn hadn’t tried the stew, but she was a little bothered by the overuse of the supplies. With a slight shrug, she resolved to find out just who would be eating before she cooked their meals.

Edited by starphyre77

Adrrar nodded as Shala spoke interested in what she was saying. "That is quite a history. I can see why he is so prominent in your history. Either way, we should get some sleep. We have a lot of walking tomorrow and should be well rested." He said, carefully unbuckling his sword and belt then placing them on the ground a little distance from the fire. Next his bedroll was laid out, before he laid down and covered himself, drifting off in a minute, his back to the fire.

Shala nodded at Adrrar’s suggestion, but after the talk of Kheled-zâram and Durin, she was too excited to sleep. She laid her bedroll next to the fire, and after placing her weapons on the ground next to her blanket, she pulled out her pipe and sat down facing the fire. “I will take the first watch,” she said to the others as she relit her pipe.

(Cool.)

Adrrar had taken the second watch after Shala, and had stayed there until sunrise. When the time came, he stood and woke everyone gently, placing a hand on their shoulder and shaking gently, saying their name until their eyes opened.

"We need to get moving." He said, already packing his things. "It is a long road ahead, and we need to start."

After waking Adrrar for the second watch, Shala laid down on her bedroll with her back to the fire, but though she was tired, she couldn’t sleep right away. It wasn’t that she didn’t trust him, but she found it a little difficult to surrender to unguarded sleep among people who were still essentially strangers. After a while, she finally fell asleep, but when she was awakened by a hand upon her shoulder, her eyes snapped open, and she instinctively reached for her sword. However, when realization caught up with her, she stilled her hand. “Sorry about that, lad,” she said as she stood and stretched, “but it might be best to just call me awake.”

While she agreed that they needed to be off, she also knew that they should probably eat something first. “No good to start out with an empty stomach,” she said as she dished herself some leftover stew. “Not the best when cold, but it makes a passable breakfast.” She nodded her head at the bowls to indicate for the others to eat if they wanted, and then she quickly emptied her bowl. When she was done eating she packed the rest of her gear on to Clover, and when the others had eaten what they were going to, she cleaned up the pot and dishes as best she could, and packed them up as well. When she had everything secured to her liking, she put her weapons back on, and then turned to the others and asked, “Right, are we ready then?”

Vaughn was going to offer for the third watch but saw that Adrrar would problibly ta,e the whole night. She leaned up agenst a log and spread her blanket over her, watching the night sky till she fell into a slumber such as the dark waters of Mirwood might give.

Vaughn awoke and instintly rose from her place agenst the log, gathering her things." Ah! A mid-summer day is only the best for travleing! Plenty of game in this strange forest."

Adrrar took a bowl of the soup as well, and while it was stone cold, it was still good tasting. When the elf spoke, he listened quietly and nodded. "It will be a good day for traveling, but do not wish for more sun, it becomes hotter then a blacksmiths furnace in these fields when the sun truly shows her spirit." He shrugged a little, then went back to eating, making sure to get every drop. He had enough to fill himself, but not enough to be bloated before he finally pulled out his water skin and poured a small trickle into the bowl. He washed it out carefully, then dumped the water to the side and handed the bowl to Shala.

"Thank you." He said, giving a slight bow with his head and shoulders.

When everyone had finished eating, Adrrar stood and shouldered his pack, belted his sword and dagger back on then looked at the group. "We need to get moving, the farther we travel, the closer we get to the Mirromere and Rivendell." With that he started walking, his strides long but slow, ground eating yet unhurried.

At Vaughn’s words, Shala found herself nodding in agreement, and then she couldn’t help but smile at the comparison Adrrar used to tell how hot the fields could get. When she was just a young stripling, she’d spent many hours watching her father work in the forge, and she found the heat to be comfortable. Of course, Dwarves are a sturdy people, and aren’t bothered by heat or cold like Men and Elves seemed to be.

When they were finally underway, she led Clover as she walked with Adrrar, but her thoughts still lingered fondly on those days long ago. However, thinking of her father then brought the thought of how her father would react if he knew what she was doing; of how angry he’d be that she didn’t stay in the safety of the Dwarven halls in the Blue Mountains, and her heart sank a little. With a slight shake of her head she pushed those thoughts away. This was her life; her choice to make, and she wasn’t going to let anyone or anything keep her from doing what she felt she needed to do.

Bringing her thoughts back to the present, a mischievous grin danced on her face as she said, “You know lad, a blacksmith’s furnace is not all that bad…” She winked. “At least, not to a Dwarf.” It was simply playful a statement that didn’t need a reply, so she changed the subject by asking, “Does anyone know if we expect to encounter any enemies between here and Rivendell?”

Adrrar smiled a little. "Aye, the heat outside of it is not so had, but I would not stick my hand within. These fields can become staggeringly hot if they put their mind to it, and the only thing to do is seek shade and wait it out." He explained. "As for enemies, I do not know for sure. I suppose there could be goblins or orcs come down from the mountains, but I do not know why they would be down here." He said. "I have heard a few rumors of Wargs near here but I can't say for sure if they are true."

Terinze frowned at his fellow elf's words. "There be no game for us in Fangorn. Better to hunt on the plains then in this ancient wood." He said, standing. He had not slept, only lain awake and humming quietly to himself.

He mounted his horse and rode further back in the group, for a strange elf he was.

Shala had to admit that Adrrar had a point about putting a hand in a furnace, but she couldn’t help but smirk at the visual that his statement brought to mind. She then nodded as she considered his answer to her question. “I see,” she said, and it was really all she could think to say. She wasn’t sure what she thought about the small likelihood of facing Orcs or Goblins. On the one hand, only a fool would actively seek out a confrontation with such vile creatures, but on the other hand, it wasn’t going to do much toward ridding the world of their evil if they didn’t face them.

Still, Wargs were not to be taken lightly either, for they were just as vile as any of the evil creatures. If they did end up encountering Wargs, she would face them as she would an Orc or Goblin. However, she was worried that Clover might bolt if they were attacked by wargs, but she knew she wouldn’t be able to hold the pony and fight at the same time. She glanced back at Terinze, and wondered if he had the same concerns about his horse. She briefly considered asking him, but decided to simply deal with the matter if it arose. With a small shrug, she looked forward again, and though didn’t say anything, she did tighten her grip on Clover’s lead a bit.

Larien had lightly slept like normal, listening to the various sounds around her as she did so. It never did take much for her to wake, and when she did- she was up in almost an instant. Almost. She found herself snagged on a log nearby and was awfully sure she hadn't snagged herself there. She was always careful about getting stuck, even on logs.

But it was a simply task to undo the threads and she was up on her feet thereafter, all while never missing a topic on the conversation.

"Wargs I'm almost sure we'll probably find. There's been talk of travelers having trouble with them. Orcs and Goblins though, they're a different matter." The elf had not really brought along a horse and was busy packing up what little things she did carry while saying this. After her form of a bedroll was packed neatly, a faint whistle escaped her and rode the air through the forest. The horse that was nearby simply trotted to her position and waited as she placed her things on him before mounting. He was her companion after all, even though she didn't exactly bring him along. He had followed her. More than once. More than once against her best wishes as well. It would take a series of the land's wildest creatures and storms to seperate him from her.

"There's been talk of sighting for Goblins, though no actually encounters... for reasons I'm sure you folk can guess. As for Orcs... I haven't heard about them all." Larien added to her contribution to the subject. She knew it wasn't going to be of much help but figured that even this little bit of information might provide useful at some point.

The elf adjusted her bow on her back, fixing her sword as well so it wouldnt bother her horse. She rode bareback as many of her kind did. "I, for one, wouldn't be surprised if we did find a Goblin."

Shala listened to Larien in silence, and then nodded and checked her sword as she said, “Clearly, it would be best for us to be on our guard…” She knew it was an unnecessary statement, but she found herself needing to say something. Though she’d never tell the others, it had only been a little over two years since she’d left the Ered Luin, and while she’d been in a few skirmishes, she hadn’t yet been tested in heavy fighting. She was confident in her training and her skills, but the prospect of a real fight was enough to set her heart pounding; not in fear or excitement, but rather simple anticipation.

Adrrar shrugged as the others speculated, his pack already slung over one shoulder. "Speculation will get us nowhere. We will see soon enough if there are Wargs or Goblins soon enough. For now we must move, we have already lingered to long." He looked at the others to make sure they were ready and when he was sure that everyone was prepared to move he began to walk, his strides taking up a steady pace that was neither fast nor slow, just middling. He was careful to make sure that the others were still with him at regular intervals, but otherwise stayed near the front.

Shala couldn’t argue with Adrrar’s statement, so gave a wry smile, and in a slightly embarrassed tone, she said, “That’s true enough.” There really wasn’t much more she could think to say, so she simply followed behind Adrrar in silence as she kept a watchful eye on the horizon. Speculation might not get them anywhere, but being caught unaware would likely get them dead.

((I’m not sure, but I’d guess yes. However, the question then becomes how far do we skip? Do they make it all the way to Mirrormere without any problems? Do they encounter enemies along the way? Do the Elves, or Adrrar, want to stop in Lothlorien? Do they get chased into Lothlorien? What do we all think? …Are we all still here?))

((I am... just been busy... and well, any of those sound alright to me. It'd be fun if something happened along the way but if no one else wants that, I'm fine with that not happening.))

(Lets have something happen, maybe a warg and goblin attack? I don't care if they get chased into Lothlorien, but its up to you guys.