chicbecause

Middle Earth

((Got it. Thanks!))

Trinity was rushing to Fangorn as fast as she could. Everyone else was probably there already. Thankfully, they didn't leave without her.

"Sorry I'm late!" She yelled as she approached the group.

Adrrar could hear the crashing of Trinity through the brush far before she reached the camp, and had already stood, bow drawn and arrow knocked, ready to kill whatever evil hoped to attack them. When he saw who it was, he shook his head and put the arrow back in his quiver, taking a seat as he did so. "Charging into a camp of elves and a ranger without announcing yourself is a good way to get killed Trinity." He said, breathing out another cloud of smoke. "These are dangerous times, and one cannot always guarantee what will come out of the brush on any given day. But enough of such unpleasant thoughts. Let us move to the edge of the wood. I will make us a fire there, and we can talk in earnest about this venture of ours." He said, standing and preparing to leave. "Shala, it would be my pleasure to enjoy some of your leaf at a later time." He said with a short bow before turning and making his way towards the edge. He didn't check to see if the others were following, because he knew they were, and even if they weren't, he was leaving a trail for them to follow. On the way he picked up dead wood for the fire, making sure to not do anything to provoke he forest. When he reached the edge, he made a fire ring, cleared the inside of all but the dirt and began to build the fire. Soon it was roaring, flames licking the air and timber snapping merrily.

Ternize nodded, listening to Shala's words. He knew she probably held a grudge against Elves, especially ones from Mirkwood, so he was doing his best to be respectful and considerate. He opened his mouth to say something when Trinity came crashing through camp.

"I judge it best to tread lighter on such a sensitive wood as this." He suggested, mounting his horse again.

The horse wore neither bridle nor saddle, as Elves lacked use for them. He had the horse walk over to the human and offered her his arm. Perhaps she would make less noise when she wasn't walking.

((Whooooops. xd.png))

Trinity sighed. "My sincerest apologies," she said as she took Ternize's hand.

Vaughn noded in agreement to Adrrar then followed in the back but every now and again she would stop ito listen to the woods and the Ents then follow close to the others.She thought about the look on Thranduil's face when he found that the great dragon Smaug was slain by Bard of Dale.

Shala also heard the approaching noise, and surged to her feet when Adrrar did. With her sword in hand, she was prepared to face the incoming threat, but when she realized it was Trinity, she sheathed her sword. She was tempted to say something about the woman’s arrival, but since both Adrrar and Ternize already did, she felt it unnecessary and thus she remained silent.

She nodded in response to Adrrar’s words, and then she got Clover and, once again, led the pony as she followed him. Finally out of the woods, she took a deep breath. She hadn’t noticed before, but even the air in the forest had felt oppressive, so this fresh air felt good. She went toward Adrrar and the fire, but didn’t see anywhere to tether Clover, so she didn’t immediately sit down. For a while, she scratched the pony’s forehead as she quietly tried to soothe her.

Adrrar looked up as Shala paused and watched her for a moment before figuring out what the issue was. He thought for a moment before taking two long branches and hammering them into the ground with a rock. When they were deep enough he tied a rope between them and turned to Shala.

"There you are." He said, offering the makeshift hitching post to her and her pony. "That should hold her for the night. She seems calm enough that it shouldn't be an issue."

Shala gave Adrrar a curious look when he started pounding branches into the ground, but when he added the rope, she recognized what he was doing, and she smiled. She was starting to think she could like this Man, for unlike most of the race of Men she’d encountered since leaving home, he showed her with courtesy and respect…without her having to beat it into him. “Thank you lad,” she said as she tied Clover to the hitch, and unloaded her gear. “Right,” she said as she looked to the others, “Will we be needing supper then?” Since they’d only just gathered, she didn’t know whether or not they’d be hungry, and didn’t want to unpack any more than was necessary.

Adrrar smiled and shrugged before walking back over to the fire and sitting down next to the fire.

"It was no problem." He said, rooting through his bag for a moment before pulling out a water skin and taking a gulp. He wiped his mouth and put the skin away before turning to Shala. "I wouldn't say no to food, I've been eating cooked rabbit for a few weeks now. I could try and go hunt some down if you desire, but that's your call. I have some dried meat as well, if we decide not to go that route."

((Out of curiosity, which edge of Fangorn are we at now? ))

“Well,” Shala said as she unpacked what she’d need. “I have the fixings to make a stew, but if you’re willing to hunt up some fresh meat, we can then save the preserved meat for a later time.” She put her cooking tripod over the fire, and then set about preparing the stew.

Adrrar smiled and nodded, dropping his pack but grabbing his quiver and heading off. He disappeared into the forest as though a ghost. He was gone about an hour or so before he came back, four small rabbits held in his hands. He came back and sat next to the fire and began to skin them and prepare the meat for eating. When he was done with that he began to cut the meat off the bones in a well practiced manner, dropping it into the stew pot. All in all it was quite a bit of meat but there are a lot of people who needed to eat, so it wasn't going to be a waste either. "There we are." He said, depositing the rest of the meat in the pot before standing and walking about 30 steps from the camp. There he dug a hole about a foot deep and disposed of the rabbit bones and fur. Normally he would have kept the fur, but he didn't have a place to tan it and he doubted he would be going into a town any time soon, so it was better to leave the rest of the rabbit to the land. After he was done he came back and sat down across from Shala, seemingly deep in thought.

"Shala, I would like to ask a question. I do not mean to be rude, nor do I mean offense. If you do not wish to answer, I understand." He thought for a moment before continuing. "I have heard stories, tales of what happened at Erebor. Are they true? Did a fire drake take residence there? Did a small group of dwarves really take it back?"

"I know the question wasn't ment for me" Vaughn looked at Adrrar." -but I would say true and untrue, see a fire drake did take the lonly mountains hoard but it was not the dwarves that killed him, it was one of the lake men. Bard of dale was the one who killed Smaug." She took a bottle outof her sack and drank then put it away and started to sharpen her arrows.

Adrrar was impressed when he heard who had killed Smaug. He doubted he could make a shot like that from a few dozen yards let alone hundreds on a moving, and flying, target. He nodded quietly, then looked at Shala again. "What's it like there?" He asked. "At Erebor? I was told tales as a boy about the dwarven craftsmen and women, who created such wonders. They say that the miners could dig out gold and in one day it would be a work of art. They also say that in two days the gold or steel would be a toy or tool the likes of which no work of man can match. Is this true? I always wanted to go there, but duty took me first, then a family after that."

Waiting for Adrrar to return, Shala finished preparing the stew, but kept the pot out of the heat so that everything would cook together. Giving an appreciative nod as he added the rabbit to the pot, she then set the pot hanging over the fire to start the stew cooking. She gave a smile at Adrrar’s question, but at Vaughn’s answer, the smile became strained. She felt as though the Elf was disregarding the role her cousins and the rest of that company had in taking back Erebor, and that was something that she could not abide.

“While it is true that it was Bard of Dale who slew Smaug the Terrible,” she said still looking at the stew pot, “there were but 13 Dwarves and a Hobbit who had the courage to enter the Lonely Mountain.” Her voice took on a bit of an edge. “Were it not for them, Smaug would not have been defeated, Dale would not have been rebuilt, and Durin’s Folk would still be a people without a home. So yes, it was a small group of Dwarves who took back Erebor.” She cast a brief, and somewhat cold, glance to Vaughn as she considered mentioning how they then had to hold it against the Elves of Mirkwood, and the Men of Lake Town, and later the Goblins and Orcs. Deciding against it, she looked back to the pot as she reigned in her bitterness.

“As for Erebor itself…” Her tone was friendly again. “Well, lad. If life in the Blue Mountains is anything to judge by, then yes, the tales are true.” She looked to him with a slightly sheepish smile, and added, “But, to be honest, I’ve not yet been to Erebor. For…reasons of my own, I didn’t go with my father when he left for Erebor five years ago, but now… While my heart still aches for the Blue Mountains, the ache has faded more than I would have thought. Now, I cannot help but wonder…,” she trailed off for a moment as she stared into the fire and absently stirred the stew. “Though my father was but a stripling when Smaug took Erebor, he often spoke of its many wonders, and I find myself longing to see them.” She looked back to Adrrar this time with a warm smile. “Perhaps I shall join him there someday.”

((What's going on. I wasn't online for like two days...could anyone please give me a recap?))

(Nothing really, they moved out of Fangorn to the edge and are sitting around a campfire talking while stew cooks.)

Adrrar listened quietly as Shala spoke, wondering why she had not gone to Erebor with her father. He did not ask of course, that was something that only a wild man would ask, beasts that they were. Instead he just considered her words before speaking again. "I do not know much of the Blue Mountains, but I have been told that the dwarves have made cities there. If that is true, then I think their splendor would only be matched by the white tower of Minas Tirith. Such a lovely sight, when a summer sun begins to set in the west, and its rays shine upon the stone, making it seem that you were looking into the very heartfite of a dragon itself. It is lovely, and a sight that I will never forget, even if I have only seen it once as a boy." He smiled when he realized he had been rambling and shook his head. "I apologize. I did not mean offense. I am not saying that dwarven craftsmanship is below mans. I meant that one of the few works of man that could compare is that one."

“Not to worry,” Shala said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “No offense has been taken. There is no harm in being proud of your homeland. In truth, the halls in the Blue Mountains are but humble dwellings; a home to be proud of, but not a place of great renown. I once heard an elder speak of Minas Tirith. He described it as having good stonework, and though he mentioned having some ideas for improvement, he found it impressive for a city of Men,” she gave a somewhat self-deprecating chuckle as she realized how that must have sounded. “It is now my turn to apologize. Please know that no offense is intended, for indeed that was high praise from such a stubborn, old Dwarf.” She was well aware of the notoriety of Dwarven stubbornness, so that last part was said with a slightly mischievous wink as she stirred the stew again.

Adrrar chuckled as well and nodded. "No offense either. It was built by the lords of Numenor, and such ability is beyond men now. One day I would hope to see such marvels built again, but I fear it will be long after my passing that such a thing comes to pass." He sighed and sat back, looking at the sky. "Tell me about yourself Shala." He said after a moment as he finally laid back and put his head on his arms. "Where do you come from, where do you go. What clan are you of? I will trade you my history for yours." He smiled a little at this and waited for a reply.

((I'm gonna post something random since I tend to disappear for a while... I have tons of tests going on and school doesn't help.))

Larien listened to the conversation as she leaned up against a tree after asking if it was alright. She found the conversation amusing, and though she wasn't hungry she did eventually take to watching the stew cook. The talk of Smaug had her interested even more than normal. She had always wanted to meet a dragon. Never really fight one; but she did wish to see what information they knew and if they would share. The possibilities of that vast knowledge being shared had always intrigued her, though she knew meeting a dragon was a very dangerous task and not very practical at all.

Shala continued stirring for a moment as she considered her answer. “Well lad,” she said setting the ladle down, and looking to Adrrar. “I am one of Durin’s Folk, and while my parents were from Erebor, I was born in the Blue Mountains, so you could say I come from both. As to where I go…I guess it could be said that I go where my feet take me. I have no destination, but rather only a goal. You see, my cousins were among those who reclaimed Erebor, but they were, shortly thereafter, slain in the Battle of Five Armies…” She paused, and though her gaze swept the horizon, her thoughts were on the past. “Fili and Kili were like brothers to me,” she said with sadness. “Thus, have I vowed to honor their sacrifice by striving to rid the world of the evil which claimed their lives.” Shaking her head, she pushed her pain back down, and with a touch of ferocity, she said, “That is why I have joined this journey.”

It was, of course, only a brief portion of her history, but she felt it to be a decent summary of the relevant points. Looking back to Adrrar, her tone was once again friendly as she asked, “And you?”

Adrrar listened quietly as Shala spoke, understanding completely why she did why she did.

"I was born grew up in Minas Tirith. When I was little, I was always fascinated by the guards that guarded the walls. My mother Eleina always hated it so much. My father had died before I was born you see, and he was a soldier too. Anyway, I was always fascinated by the guards and I would always get into trouble sneaking up onto the walls to talk to them. I remember this one time, I got caught by one of the guards playing in the armory late one night. I had a short sword, more of a large dagger really, and was pretending to fight. His name was Theyn, and I had met him before, but never really spoken to him before. Anyway, he found me playing, and at first he scolded me for sneaking around like that, but then realized that I had gotten in pas him, two guards and a large room of sleeping men. Anyway, he took me and began to train me after that in the sword and the bow. We kept it secret from my mother and most of the guards, only doing it after most had gone to bed." He smiled at the memory and reached down, undoing a dagger in the dwarf style on his belt. This he handed to Shala. "When I was of age, he gave me the dagger I had been playing with as a gift. He had spent a lot of money to have a dwarf to reforge it, make it beautiful and make a scabbard for. He told me I was like a son to him, and that he was proud of me. He died two days later of a sickness that he had told no one about. I was 15. After that I joined the rangers in Ithilien. I served my four years, and was going to reapply after my leave in Minas Tirith. While I was there though, I saw a woman in a tavern. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, and I loved her then and there. For months I courted her, she told me that she came from Rohan, that she had come here with a trade caravan and stayed. She said that she missed the open places though, and that she wanted to go home to the horselands where she had grown up. We were wed shortly thereafter and moved to her village. We had two children, a son and a daughter over five years and were happy. Then I went on a hunting trip. When I returned, a week after my leaving, I found only ruins and bodies. Our house had been burnt to the ground, and my children slaughtered in front of it, my wife, nowhere to be found. It was the wild men you see. They live past the borders and raid now and then. I hunted the band down and killed them all, a hand of over a hundred. They had taken prisoners, women, and done things I will not describe to them. My wife was among them, and only lived long enough to say three words to me after I got to her. I took the other women back to the nearest village, then went and buried my children. Now, I just patrol the borders and kill any wild men I find." He was staring into the fire at this point, his gaze hard as he fingered a small pouch on his belt next to the hilt of his sword. On his neck was a chain, unadorned save a small gem. "That is who I am, and that is where I am going." He said quietly, his voice sad, but hard.

Shala listened in silence as Adrrar told his history, and when he finished talking, she remained silent a little longer as she thought about all that he’d said. She wondered, among other things, what his wife had said before passing, but certainly wasn’t going to ask, so instead she examined the dagger as she thought about what to say. She knew that any words of comfort would only sound empty, so she looked at him not with pity, but rather with understanding as she said, “It is a fine blade.” She handed the dagger back to him. “It will serve you well.”

By that point, the stew was finished, so she took one of the wooden bowls she’d earlier placed on a mat near the fire, and filled it as she said, “These Wild Men of which you speak, are they those who come from Dunland?” She handed him the bowl and a spoon, a turned to fill a second bowl. “I have heard tell of them, and they sound to be as evil as Orcs. However, how does one distinguish a Wild Man from a Man? I mean, before he is near enough to attack?” She gave others a questioning look as she held the second bowl up a little. It was her way of asking if anyone wanted it.

Edited by starphyre77

Adrrar c

Nodded as he took the dagger back and put it back on his belt before taking the bowl as well and tasting it.

"Thank you. This is vey good." He said, taking another bite before considering the question. "They are from Dunland, and yes, they are as bad as orcs. Some would pity them, and I can see why, but after failing to try and make peace, to perhaps ask for help and make an alliance with Rohan I view them only as men of evil. They are haggard, dirty men, with dark hair and a demeanor more at home on a rabid dog. They wear fur from all manner of beasts, and make no beautiful things of their own, only stealing weapons and whatever else they can from their raids. There used to be patrols at the Fords of Isen to keep bands from raiding, but since the steward Grima took control of Rohan the patrols have vanished, allowing the raiders to kill at will." Adrrar shook his head and ate more of the stew, silently chewing as he stared into the flames. "I truly did try to forgive them once." He said finally, looking at Shala again. "After what happened. I captured one from a smaller party that I found heading back to the hills. He had taken an arrow to the leg and was beginning to die when I found him. I removed the arrow and bound the wound before giving him dinner and tellin him that I would help him get home. It is a mistake I will never forget. He pretended to fall asleep, and though I kept watch, he acted suddenly, like a viper that you stepped upon. He was on me with a sharp to rock in a second, and attempted to kill me with it. I almost died, but the dagger saved me, and I was forced to kill the man, more of a boy really. From then on I have not shown mercy, for they deserve none. They show none, and accept none."

( recap anyone? )

Vaughn smiled a bit at the dwarf." I believe it was the hobbit who found the weakness of the dragon and the dwarves and him only woke up the fire drake, though all 13 dwarves fought well and showed great bravery. But I do not know the story as you do and I might very well be wrong. I am sorry for your loss." She stood thinking only of when the dwarves were brought through the gaits of the palace and questioned. She walked over to Larien. "If you wernt ment to do anything besides stand, noone would have ask for you to come. Let us talk of the past, what is yours? " she looked around at the beutey of the forest around her, she didn't know what they were suposed to be doing and wandered if they might go to Lôrien . She would have stoped there on her way if time had alowed it.