chicbecause

Middle Earth

(So we're here for an adventure right? Is there a planned one, or just make it up as we go along? Also the story starts in Fangorn, not mirkwood, Elpdraws)

Adrrar walked among the trees, looking about him, searching for signs of orcs, goblins, or best of all, wild men. His footsteps were a whisper, and he never cracked a twig or disturbed brush. Though he was not near as light-footed as an elf, he was still nimble on his feet, having learned in Ithilien how to move silently.

He was a average man, hovering around five-foot-nine or so, with brown hair and the shadow of a beard in his face. (He has five o' clock shadow) He wore an oiled,leather jerkin, with leggings that were treated to keep the wearer warm and dry. He also wore a cloak that matched the terrain quite well, and helped to hide him. A simple long sword hung at his belt, while a quiver was swung across his back. A bow in his hand was kept at his side, rready to use at a moments notice. The only thing out of place for a ranger, was a single silver pendant that hung from the pommel of his sword.

He continued to walk, his steps measured and careful, pausing to listen now and then, at other times stopping to touch the seemingly unblemished ground. "Where are they?" He whispered, standing and moving off, further into the forest.

((Not sure if there’s a plan, or if we’re just winging it. Also, Shala speaks with the common Dwarvish accent, but I don’t know how to write it, so…what say we just go with it? wink.gif ))

Shala had headed out of Edoras a while back, and was riding her pony, Clover, north to Fangorn to meet up with the others. After their last meeting, she did have some misgivings about traveling with Elves, but this was likely to be her only chance to strike a blow to the evil that plagued the lands, and she wasn’t going to pass it up. If she was honest with herself, she was also excited for this journey to start, and she couldn’t help but wonder if her cousins had felt the same when they had left Ered Luin.

At that thought, she felt a pang of bitter grief as well as a touch of homesickness, and she briefly indulged those feelings before trying to push them away by wondering what they were going to call themselves. Were they a company? Were they companions? Were they a fellowship? “No,” she chuckled to herself, “that one’s too ridiculous.” With that, she whiled the time by humming some Dwarvish songs.

When she came within sight of Fangorn, she slowed to a halt for a moment. “Why a forest,” she said little sourly as she checked her weapons – sword on her back, dagger on her left hip, and a throwing axe on her right. The action wasn’t necessary, but it gave her something to do as she once again wondered why they’d chosen a forest for their meeting place. “Helm’s Deep is a nice place, and it’s not that far off. Why couldn’t we meet there instead?..." She gave a resigned sigh. "Might as well get this over with...” She urged Clover into a gallop and continued on her way.

Finally arriving at Fangorn Forest, she dismounted, and led Clover in as she searched for the others. She knew that the forest probably wasn’t the best place for a pony, but as the cook for this journey, she had too much gear to be easily carried. She hadn’t gone far in before she tripped on a root. “Abzagel!” she exclaimed as she regained her footing. She didn’t like this place, and really wanted to find the others and be gone, but she wasn’t going to call out like a scared stripling. “Still say Helm’s Deep would have been better,” she muttered.

Adrrar stopped moving suddenly as he heard a voice in the distance, dwarven by the sounds of it. He knew that he was supposed to meet others here for their adventure or whatever, so he turned and headed in the direction the sound was coming from. He was used to the woods, as well the plains and mountains, but Fangorn... This place was different. The trees did not seem to be the same as any of the trees in Ithillien. They seemed to dislike his presence, just like the stories of old. It only took ten minutes or so for him to locate the dwarf, and after watching carefully to make sure it wasn't some trick, he stepped out and stood in front of the dwarf.

"Master dwarf." He said with a short bow. "Adrrar, son of Thelnar, at your service and your clans." He said, using a common dwarf greeting he had learned once. "Might I inquire as to your purpose here? I can of course provide assistance if it is needed. I do not doubt your capabilities, but some say that your people are not as comfortable in woods as they are in other environs." He was being as polite as possible to keep the dwarf from getting angry, while still trying to learn information. He had heard that dwarves could be quick to anger and even harder to regain trust with.

((Ryujin13, I think I may have misunderstood your question. The First Post states: “You planned to meet your fellow explorers there. You have all met before, and the journey was planned in the meeting. Now you are all ready to embark on your adventure.” So the characters have a plan, but I (the writer) have no clue what it is…

Having said that, could there perhaps have been two planning meetings, and Adrrar and Shala each missed different ones? That could explain why they don’t know each other? unsure.gif ))

A few hours later she had crossed the river and was a days journey from he great river that seperated Mirkwood from Fangorn. She was at Dul Gulder at mid-day so she would reach Fangorn at midnight tomarow and the meeting place at noon." I wander what the others are doing now, I know that Terinze is still at the palace geting ready and Adrrar is probliby already there. But what of the rest of us? "

(Ooh, that makes much more sense. Yeah lets to with your suggestion, that way I don't have to retype my post. Now respond! I wanna play wink.gif)

Edited by Ryujin13

((I'm gonna play off that suggestion wink.gif ))

Larien had already made it to Fangorn, having been waiting for at least a day now for anyone else to show up. She had noticed Shala wander in with her pony and had chosen to get up them from the downed tree she had chosen to sit by. Adrrar had beaten her to the greetings, though the two didn't seem to know each other. Perhaps it had been because they had been to different meetings instead of both like Larien had. Either way, they still probably deserved knowing she was here.

She made herself known to the two via her presence, though she politely waited until they were done conversing before greeting them.

After stumbling for the third time, Shala was tempted to take out her axe and start chopping these accursed roots and branches. If she didn’t know any better, she’d have sworn the trees were deliberately trying to trip her. Still muttering under her breath, she was startled when there was suddenly a man standing in front of her. At first, tensed as she reached for her dagger, but at his words, she relaxed. Though her brow did rise slightly at being called a ‘Master’, it was something she’d gotten used to since she’d left her home in the Blue Mountains.

“Hail,” she said, and her voice was a mixture of courtesy and caution, “and if you mean no harm, well met. I am Shala, daughter of Baergor.” The others had spoken of a Man who would also be joining them, and she wondered if this would be him, or if this man was an agent of evil. For a moment, she gave him a considering look. While she was a little suspicious that he asked about her purpose, she had to admit it wasn’t an entirely unreasonable question, and he was well mannered for one from the race of Men. “I’m actually looking for some…people,” she said in the same tone. “Have you perchance seen any…Elves in the area.” Even to her ears, it sounded odd that she would be looking for Elves. “Ah,” she added when she noticed Larien, “there’s one now.” She gave a brief nod in the Elf’s direction.

Adrrar turned, having missed the elf moving up behind him. Getting caught off guard was not something he was used to, and he inwardly cursed himself for such a foolish action. "Ah, Larien my friend, well met. It has been far to long." He said, going and clasping forearms with the elf before turning back to the dwarf. "I am going to guess that you are the one I keep missing during the meetings. Well met indeed. I do apologize if I startled you, I did not intend to do so." He said, offering his arm to her as well. "If you would all care to join me, I have made a small camp nearby. I can make it so the others can find it on their own, and we'll keep an eye out for them." He gestured for the two to follow and led the way back to his camp, a quarter mile or so distant. It was near enough the edge that he could keep an eye out for his companions, but far enough in that orcs or wild men could spot it easily. A small cave was created by an outcropping of rocks, and underneath it was... Nothing. "I made sure to leave no sign of my presence, but this is the spot I slept last night." Adrrar said, putting his pack off to the side. "So, tell me, what news from your lands?" He asked, glancing at Shala and Larien.

Terinze rode through Fangorn, he had lost time earlier when he stopped to speak with a Ent, and Ents take a very long time to talk. Riding along with little trouble from the trees, he hummed a merry Elvish tune to himself. He rode his gray spotted stallion to a party consisting of a man, Dwarf, and Elf.

"Greetings, friends!" he called as he approached them. "I see we still await Vaughn. But she will be along shortly, no doubt."

Vaughn reached the edge of fangorn sooner than she thought she would. Now she was not so lonley. Yes, the trees would keep her company now. They need not talk to her, just be there. Now, she made hast and in thirty minuts or so she had found her friends."Good day, I am sorry to have kept you waiting, friends. As you see it is harder to travil by foot than by horse-back."

((Dragonhatchling, may I ask where Larien is from, Mirkwood, Lorien, or Rivendell?))

Shala watched in silence as Adrrar greeted Larien, and though she didn’t show it, she was relieved that this man was joining them as well. She didn’t fancy the thought of traveling with only Elves. She clasped the offered arm, and gave a shrug to indicate that she held no ill will. She followed him to his campsite, taking care with where she led Clover, and at one point she could have sworn that it looked like a root moved. Though she shrugged it off as impossible, it still made her shiver… The sooner they got out of this place, the better.

When they reached the site, she gave a nod of approval as she tethered Clover as close to the rocks as possible. “There is not much news from Ered Luin,” she said as she scratched Clover’s forehead. “Those who chose to return to Erebor have done so, and life has returned to normal.” She paused for a moment as she thought of how the troubles of the world seemed to seldom reach her home. With another shrug, she looked at him with interest, and asked, “And you? From whence do you come, and-“

She broke off at the arrival of Terinze and then Vaughn, and though she kept her face neutral, she couldn’t prevent the slight twitch of her eye. She quickly turned back to look at Clover as she scolded herself. If they were to travel together, she’d have to learn to control that. Still, since they were being friendly, she could at least make an effort to try to return the favor. Looking to them with a smile that was only slightly forced, she said, “Greetings and well met.”

"I come from Gondor first, as place of my birth, but I live in Rohan now, for different reasons... I still have friends though, and the news I gather points toward a recovery, albeit a slow one. New new king rules justly, and peace has descended over the lands of Gondor. Rohan is much of the same, with villages being resettled and rebuilt, or just abandoned all together. Recovery is slow, but it happens no matter what the foul creatures of the land might do about it." He said, playing a twig between his thumbs. He looked up as Vaughn and Terinze walked into the camp. He had known about their presence, this time having been paying attention. "Well met Vaughn, well met Terinze." He said, standing and clasping forearms with them both. "It is good to see you both again." He said, sitting again and gesturing for them to sit. "I would offer a warm fire, but such a thing is not wise within these woods. They are not forgiving, and I would not risk their wrath, not even by using dead wood."

((Here's my form! Sorry for making you wait!

User- Techno_Elf

Name- Trinity

Age- 24

Gender- Female

Race- Man

Appearance- She has long, slightly wavy brown hair and differently colored eyes. One is hazel and the other is a sort of blue-green.

Skill set- She can run pretty fast, and she prefers using a leather whip and sharp, thin needles dipped in poison.

Other- She's single. wink.gif))

Edited by Techno_Elf

Vaughn couldn' help but smile when she saw Adrrar. It had been to long since she last saw her friends." Please, Adrrar, Shala, Larien, what have you been doing up till now? " she took of a pack she had been carrying and set it in front of her.

When Adrrar greeted the Elves, Shala’s thoughts turned to what he’d said about recovery, and she wondered how far Erebor had recovered in the mere thirty years since the Battle of Five Armies. Though her father had always called it her homeland, she had not yet visited since it had been reclaimed, and she now found herself wondering if this journey would take them that direction. She was shaken from her thoughts when Adrrar mentioned the wrath of the woods, and she couldn’t suppress a shudder as she questioned if perhaps those roots truly had been moving.

Avoiding places such as this, she thought at Vaughn’s question, but she said, “Whiling the time until the start of our journey.” She kept her tone casual to belie her unease, “To that point, perhaps it would be best to be on our way as quickly as possible.”

Adrrar returned the smile and nodded to Shala. "Hunting the borders mostly." He said. "The wild men continue to raid outlying villages and it is difficult for the horsemen of Rohan to catch them when there is nothing to chase. The wild men attack in the same way as a wolf. They choose a weak or seperated prey, attack it, then disappear when they are done devouring what they find. I have been trying to root out their camps before they can kill anyone else." He explained, frowning at Vaughn before nodding. "I am willing to move to the edge of the woods, but the others must agree of course." He said, looking around at the others.

(Accepted)

Ternize smiled, "The Ents are kind to those who remember them. But I do agree, we ought to be on our way as soon as possible. Word has reached Mirkwood that the creature Gollum makes his lair in the Misty Mountains, in the goblins caves. I believe some of your kin travelled there once, before defeating the dragon Smuag, Shala." He said. "But we still await the company of another before we can set out." he pointed out.

Adrrar nodded and took out a pipe. He filled it and tamped down the lead lighting it. He took a long inhale and let it out before looking at Shala and smiling. "Please Shala, relax. These woods can be dangerous yes, but only if you are disrespectful. Do not raise an axe or blade to the trees, nor light a fire, nor damage them in any way, and they will leave you alone. Here, I was given this by a visitor to these lands. They called it longbottom leaf. It is some of the finest I have ever tasted. Try some and relax with me." He said, tossing her the pouch.

((Wait, so everyone's in one big group now? What's happening, exactly?))

( every one just arrived at fangorn and now they are waiting for you're Character to join them so they can go.)

((for whoever asked before where Larien was from, seeing as I've more-so than less based her somewhat off this type of elf, I'm having her from Rivendell since their kind has dwindled so very much.))

Larien listened rather quietly to the conversation. She didn't have much to say for news on Rivendell. Hardly anything had changed for quite a while. Her kind was still in danger of dying out, as was most of the Elves, and that wasn't considered new news. She had heard about Gollum though. "I am willing to move to the edge as well." Larien turned her attention to the previous question about her. "As for what I have been up to, not very much honestly. Aside from traveling here early a few days before to see what I could on the travels." She answered Vaughn soon after.

((as to why I disappeared. I can't be on super often (only about 3hours at nightish cavetime- around this time generally) on weekdays and weekends depend on what's going on. Also, I've not been posting much due to a recent family matter that I'll never truly get over....))

One of Shala’s shoulders tensed slightly when Ternize mentioned her kin, for it bothered her to hear a Mirkwood Elf so casually speak of them. However, she knew it wouldn’t be good to start their journey with open hostility, so remained silent as she tried to remind herself the Mirkwood Elves fought with the Dwarves in that fateful battle. Of course, in her mind, that didn’t negate the injustice that King Thranduil inflicted on her cousins and the others before that day.

At Adrrar’s words, she turned to him, and caught the pouch he’d tossed. For a moment she just regarded him with a slightly surprised look, but then she smiled and nodded in appreciation as she pulled out her pipe. Even though she had her own pipe-weed, to her thinking, it was the gesture that was important, and it would have been unthinkably rude to refuse. Once her pipe was lit, she took a short inhale, and giving another appreciative nod, she approached him.

“Thank you,” she said as she handed the pouch back to him. “I am well familiar with Longbottom Leaf.” She sat down nearby, and after a second, longer inhale, blew out a smoke ring. “When next we camp, you must try some of my Old Toby. The two truly have no equal.” She nodded to Larien when she also mentioned moving toward the edge of the forest, but she figured her opinion on the matter was known, so she said nothing more on it.

Finally turning to Ternize, she said, “Aye, my kin were in the goblin caves. They were among Thorin Oakenshield’s company, and they fought their way out of the very heart of Goblintown.” Though her tone had started neutral, she couldn’t quite keep the pride out of her voice as she spoke, but then her voice turned curious with perhaps a touch of suspicion as she added, “However, the accounts hold no mention of this Gollum of which you speak.”