Lila

School/University/College

Man I am so ready to get back to classes. I love my school so much. I was on campus today, genuinely annoyed by all the tour groups, but at least they chose the best college in the country! DAWGNATION! This has been the most rewarding couple years of my life, and I'm so thankful that I'm only halfway done. (Maybe not if I can't finish my degree which is a huge possibility).

I just turned in a project that was due today that I started last night at 7PM. 60 Page paper and a travelogue for my study abroad. Guys, some advice for the younger people of DC, if you're going to procrastinate, learn to do it like a boss.

Also, another piece of advice: ENJOY COLLEGE! Go to that party if you're comfortable. Go to that festival instead of study since you still have about 34 hours until the test! But get that A. Do whatever it takes. Staying up until 3am and getting up at 7am is a life skill that is entirely important.

Are there anyone who doing double major in college? I found my application just had been granted. Edited by sh20000sh

Does anyone else deal with classmates who talk a lot? Or are absolutely inconsiderate? That has made school a living censorkip.gif for me...

3rd grade my teacher could not get students to quit talking across the room.

4th grade my classes, all three seperate classes, would not shut up.

5th grade... see aboge.

6th grade my Core (3 periods), Science, and Wheel classes would not shut it. (5/7 periods...)

7th grade my Core, Math (absolute worst talkers - they even started YELLING. The poor teacher...), and Art classes couldn't be quiet. (5/7, but I feel Math was vad enough to make it 6/7)

My cochlear implants hate multiple people talking at once with a vengeance, so this has been drving me nuts. No one ever got any consequences. I explaned what it does to me nultiple times... but it's too much to ask anyone from Tampa Palms Elementary or Lincoln Middle School to be considerate. Sheeesh. In fact, I actually snapped over all the talking in schoolba few days go.

Hopefully when I get to college, people won't do that. Or would it be too much to at least hope I have a year with classmates quieter than my last few? >_>

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

I pretty much can't believe I am starting my last semester of uni in 2 months blink.gif

Edited by Amy.x

Does anyone else deal with classmates who talk a lot? Or are absolutely inconsiderate? That has made school a living censorkip.gif for me...

3rd grade my teacher could not get students to quit talking across the room.

4th grade my classes, all three seperate classes, would not shut up.

5th grade... see aboge.

6th grade my Core (3 periods), Science, and Wheel classes would not shut it. (5/7 periods...)

7th grade my Core, Math (absolute worst talkers - they even started YELLING. The poor teacher...), and Art classes couldn't be quiet. (5/7, but I feel Math was vad enough to make it 6/7)

My cochlear implants hate multiple people talking at once with a vengeance, so this has been drving me nuts. No one ever got any consequences. I explaned what it does to me nultiple times... but it's too much to ask anyone from Tampa Palms Elementary or Lincoln Middle School to be considerate. Sheeesh. In fact, I actually snapped over all the talking in schoolba few days go.

Hopefully when I get to college, people won't do that. Or would it be too much to at least hope I have a year with classmates quieter than my last few? >_>

I wouldn't count on college lecture halls to be any quieter. There's usually someone still talking in the back rows (at least for me...but then again my lecture halls will include more than 100 student at a time...)

Smaller lectures and discussions aren't as loud.

------

I'm in my last year of college and I couldn't believe how time flew by.

I mean...my time in high school seemed to crawl, but in college...everything is fast.

I like my university.

It's big so it has a good mix of everything that I would like.

Getting a degree there would hold a nice weight, but....a part of me also would have preferred a smaller university.

Because of double major, time table became weird. But I don't regret about double major. If I regret something related with this, it will be major I chose when I enter college. or maybe different thing, not that.

I've just finished my first year of university and I can't believe it's gone by so fast. After this next year, I'm more than halfway through my degree.

Feeling so old now.

I'm be entering into my final year of high school soon. It's going to be exciting, but also a bit nerve wracking because of college applications and the work in the future. I feel like college will be a blast, but I have to do my best this year before that.

College is so stressful already and I don't even start classes for two more weeks! I'm trying to decide whether to buy my textbooks now, while very cheap used books are still available on Amazon, or wait until the first week of classes in case the professors have book requirements different than what my online schedule says. But then I run the risk of all the ridiculously cheap books being sold out. But if I get the ridiculously cheap used books, or even if I rent, they might not come with access codes/other features, and I have no idea if I'll need those. Tough decisions..

Also, I have to choose between two classes for my required humanities credit: Intro to Literature and Intro to Philosophy. I'm completely torn. I've found and read old course syllabi, researched the professors, made pro/con lists...idk what to do. Philosophy seems like a more thinking-intensive class with three really long papers and rumor has it the TA's are very tough graders; but Literature has a ton of required reading and five papers; Philosophy could be really cool because I've always wanted to take a philosophy course and the professor seems fairly well liked; but literary analysis has always come naturally to me and the professor is rated fabulously, but he's never taught this class before.

why can't i hire someone to make all the hard decisions in my life i would totally pay money for that

College is so stressful already and I don't even start classes for two more weeks! Ixx'm trying to decide whether to buy my textbooks now, while very cheap used books are still available on Amazon, or wait until the first week of classes in case the professors have book requirements different than what my online schedule says. But then I run the risk of all the ridiculously cheap books being sold out. But if I get the ridiculously cheap used books, or even if I rent, they might not come with access codes/other features, and I have no idea if I'll need those. Tough decisions..

Also, I have to choose between two classes for my required humanities credit: Intro to Literature and Intro to Philosophy. I'm completely torn. I've found and read old course syllabi, researched the professors, made pro/con lists...idk what to do. Philosophy seems like a more thinking-intensive class with three really long papers and rumor has it the TA's are very tough graders; but Literature has a ton of required reading and five papers; Philosophy could be really cool because I've always wanted to take a philosophy course and the professor seems fairly well liked; but literary analysis has always come naturally to me and the professor is rated fabulously, but he's never taught this class before.

why can't i hire someone to make all the hard decisions in my life i would totally pay money for that

I'm in the same boat.

I'm in my last year as a college student so I'm not as worried.

----

I would recommend that you make a list of what books you need and check your college bookstore prices (both new and used)

Check Amazon for used and rental.

Find out how much the access code is.

That way you can see if it's worth getting an old book, but if you still need an access code then...you might end up spending more money.

I know the most expensive access code I've had to buy was $60 and the book costed me around $40 to rent so it was definitely cheaper to rent the book and buy the access code separately.

If you use Facebook and your school has a group page...I would highly recommend joining them.

The university I go to has one main page (encompasses all the colleges and years)

Then it has specific graduating year

And then it has specific colleges.

I made use of those pages to ask whether or not I should buy the book for a specific course.

Or if they had a download link for the book or if I could buy the book from them for a cheaper price.

If you have access to those groups, previous students can probably tell you whether or not an access code is required.

You could also email the professor early and ask.

------

Personally, I prefer Intro to Literature.

I'm a strong reader and writer.

I'm in the science track so I need all of my electives to be a strong A.

I would take the class that you would do better in for a grade and later on...if you're still interested in the other class...you can take that class with an audit (grade doesn't count).....assuming that the class is free after a certain amount of credit

(My university has you pay for 13 credits and anything after that is free)

--------

Sorry...totally went on a rant.

What are some study tips that people have?

I'm taking 4 science classes next semester and I think I'm going to die.

Two of them are upper level division classes for my major.

The other two are not related to my major, but they're still considered hard science courses.

- they are Organic Chemistry II and Biochemistry.

Edited by gigglymonkey12

Oh boy. I took Calc A and Speech over the summer at a community college so that they would be out of the way before I go to UAH. Mostly because I only needed one year of Calc so I decided to just get it done and Speech because I knew it would be much easier on me in a small summer class at a community college than at a huge university in the fall. I took my finals last week, easily aced both classes (solid 100+ in both) so that is a great start.

I move in to UAH in about three days and I am simultaneously scared and excited. I'm not an incredibly independent person even though I act like I am. It's a little concerning to me that I'm going to be spending most of my time not in the house I've always spent 80% of my time in, away from my parents and the people I rely on to help me if I so need it. At the same time, I'm excited to start trying things on my own and learning more about how to properly handle myself, because these are things I really did not grow up learning and I know I need to know them.

So, I suppose a (scary) new chapter is beginning. Today next week I'll be preparing for my first day of class after having spent a week on campus, getting used to my suitemates and possible new friends. At least my current best friend is coming to the same place, so I suppose I have something familiar to hang on to.

I'm a Biology major by the way ;P taking Principles of Biology, Honors English, General Chemistry I, and Drawing Foundations this semester. Hopefully it won't be too bad, I got tips from an older Bio student on which professors to take haha.

Oh boy. I took Calc A and Speech over the summer at a community college so that they would be out of the way before I go to UAH. Mostly because I only needed one year of Calc so I decided to just get it done and Speech because I knew it would be much easier on me in a small summer class at a community college than at a huge university in the fall. I took my finals last week, easily aced both classes (solid 100+ in both) so that is a great start.

I move in to UAH in about three days and I am simultaneously scared and excited. I'm not an incredibly independent person even though I act like I am. It's a little concerning to me that I'm going to be spending most of my time not in the house I've always spent 80% of my time in, away from my parents and the people I rely on to help me if I so need it. At the same time, I'm excited to start trying things on my own and learning more about how to properly handle myself, because these are things I really did not grow up learning and I know I need to know them.

So, I suppose a (scary) new chapter is beginning. Today next week I'll be preparing for my first day of class after having spent a week on campus, getting used to my suitemates and possible new friends. At least my current best friend is coming to the same place, so I suppose I have something familiar to hang on to.

I'm a Biology major by the way ;P taking Principles of Biology, Honors English, General Chemistry I, and Drawing Foundations this semester. Hopefully it won't be too bad, I got tips from an older Bio student on which professors to take haha.

Yep, I'm the same way. I'm moving into my dorm on Wednesday and it's going to be strange living on my own because I am very much a homebody and an introvert and I really only hang out with my family. I'm not totally deficient of common sense but I'm a lot less experienced than the average freshman. I rarely go shopping without my mom or my sister by my side, and I never go into a fast food place by myself to get food because if I'm getting food there then so is everyone else in my family, to give a couple of examples, so being totally independent is going to be bizarre. At least I know how to do my own laundry and what to buy at a grocery store to feed myself sufficiently, lol.

I'm just really going to miss my kitchen because despite living in a dorm I still plan on cooking quite a bit, instead of living off of fast food like the average dorm-dwelling freshman. There is a kitchen down the hall from my room but it's going to be so unfamiliar and my food supplies are so limited compared to the fully-stocked fridges/freezers/cabinets at my house.

I'm mostly just scared of getting lost because 1) I'm terrible with directions/mental mapping and 2) My campus is huge.

I WILL finish my thesis and defend this semester. There is no funding for me next semester. I WILL finish.

>_e

Easing into my freshman year of university right now. It's really stressful how everyone is so used to excelling here, since now getting less than ideal grades can be the norm with curved classes.

On the other hand, I can't believe I've played since 2008 (and that I still play today xd.png). My friends all think I'm a dork, but I find that it's a great way to relax. smile.gif

Where do you guys all go?

Easing into my freshman year of university right now. It's really stressful how everyone is so used to excelling here, since now getting less than ideal grades can be the norm with curved classes.

On the other hand, I can't believe I've played since 2008 (and that I still play today xd.png). My friends all think I'm a dork, but I find that it's a great way to relax. smile.gif

Where do you guys all go?

Yep, it's the same here...especially for me, I've never had to study so hard to get good grades. The transition from being a top high school student to a mediocre uni student is harsh. D:

Btw, I go to the University of Florida. Go Gators, I guess! I'm not really very spirited but that's practically a crime at this school

I'm now halfway through my first semester...this is the busiest, most stressed, most overwhelmed I've ever been. But time has flown. Seriously, it's like I can physically feel the days speeding past. Before I know it I'll be graduating.

Edited by glamoursea2

My doctoral app was rejected (and I haven't been able to contact my potential advisor since), so it looks like my school career is reaching its end. I am so not looking forward to a job with regular/strict hours. >_> lol

D: *hugs Sock*

My current headaches are thesis and grad school... And actually finishing my BS :'D but micropalaeontology research is going well and should help with all that *crosses fingers*

...I really don't know where I want to go to get my master's tbh. *cough anybody know any good geoscience schools cough* Mostly because I'm not sure what I want to focus on. Planetary geology would be awesome. A grad student who was chatting with our petro class the other day is actually helping on the New Horizons research and working with cryovolcanism which sounds awesome *u*

Edited by dragonwinxzodiac

I'm starting my two years of a foreign language for my Bachelor of Arts requirements. I'm taking American Sign Language for several reasons. One, there's a history of hearing issues in my family. Two, I'm Hard of Hearing (yes it's meant to be capitalized like that, it's a culture thing, I asked my ASL teacher who is Deaf) and I'm terrified of losing my hearing down the road. Three, there are several people fluent in other languages at work but none that I know of that use ASL. Four, I'm realizing that with my anxiety having a way to communicate without actually having to speak to people is a mighty nice thing.

Uni started in September.. And I'm only now going back to school.. Well that Organic chemistry's laboratory course will be waiting for me next fall.. biggrin.gif It's the only course that's missing from my bachelor's degree.. There's still plenty to do (or not to do) as I don't want to finish my master's in 2 years. Luckily I did finish my bachelor's thesis on time and with good grade (that prevents any complaints from uni's study advisor)

I'm now studying chemical engineering and I'd like to study abroad for a semester or two but one needs to make 55 ECTS in one school year and it is not possible for me as I've been to a different uni before (bachelor's degree in pharmacy) so I've already studied some courses.. I could study more languages but aren't 6 already enough??

My plans changed. I don't even know what the censorkip.gif

It seems unlikely that I'll be going to my dream Uni, even though I was accepted

Edited by andromedae

University hit me hard all of a sudden. When my semester technically started in September, most of my courses started in October and I'm honestly crowded with work right now. On top of all the essays and presentations I'm supposed to do for my other courses, I should be writing my bachelor's thesis right now and I'm just going absolutely no where with it. I've had meetings with my counselor and I know what I should be doing, but I cannot decide on a subject.

I'm really interested in asthma, allergies, atopic ezcema aka allergic diseases and their connection to socioeconomic status. There's a lot of research done on the topic, but it's mostly on kids or young people. Here's the thing: I'm studying gerontology (studying elderly) as my major, so my bachelor's thesis should somehow be related to the aging people or at least adults. Also I'm not really sure if I should just narrow my search just for studies about asthma since there's a lot more of them or just go with the trio of asthma, rhinitis and atopic dermatitis.

I could probably sort this all out if I just sat down for a good while, did some research on the matter and got a good picture of what's worth of researching. But with all the other work I have lined up, I just don't seem to find the time (still I somehow find the time to rant about it in here).

I finished community college in July. I got a a degree in something I ended up hating (Graphic Design) and I cant find a job. I should probably go back to school but I cant quite bring myself to

Edited by aerolyx