Lila

School/University/College

Heyia everybody

I was a duel major tech theater/English. Oddly enough I suggest if you can wait, be over 21 you get price breaks and such big time. The university I went to a normal 16-21 year old paid 18k+ a semester to attend. Me being 25 at time time. 4 bedroom apartment on campus, 13 hour classes cost me about 7k

I also suggest checking out if anyone is interested and your parent is disabled military check out Chapter 25 scholarships. The gov will pay for everything but room board and food, give you a stipend to cover things so you don't need to work as much and focus on your classes. BUT your parent has to be disabled and it has to be in the state their dd2-14 states they enlisted in.

There is the pell grant ( doesn't need to be paid back) and various scholarships the colleges do offer to help students that are not adults.

I'm a dental medicine student, this October I'm starting my 3rd year in college. smile.gif My sister got into pharmacy college this summer and her first day should be on October 1st (we are both studying in our home country, Serbia, the city of Belgrade).

When I was applying for college and doing my entrance exam, some statistics appeared on the internet and in the newspaper. Back then, my college offered 180 places on the state budget (which means that the country pays for your studies) and additional twenty for self-financing students (which I didn't want because one year of college costs 2.200 euros, so I studied super hard to get that state budget place). The number of students who applied to get into my college (including me) was 861. blink.gif

So, you see: 861 students applying for 200 places.

During the entrance exam everything was going well except that I was super upset over unintentionally putting the wrong answer on one of the questions on the chemistry test (we had biology and chemistry to pass) since it was trivial. And every point counts.

The next day I applied for medical college just in case, and I didn't even bother to do it perfectly, probably because I was exhausted from the previous day. Some time later the results for medicine were published and I didn't get in. As a matter of fact, I was 121 places away from the last one, so I went into full panic and total breakdown mode. When I calmed down I realized that dental medicine college published the number of points everyone of the candidates earned on the tests, so I stayed up until 03:30 AM to add the points from the test every candidate has earned to the points they earned during high school. I needed to know what my chances to get accepted were. I really, really cared.

In the end, among the 180 that got the place on the state budget, I was #149. I was ecstatic when dad phoned to let us know and we all celebrated my success. wub.gif And since many candidates applied both for medicine and dental medicine, and later chose medicine instead, on the final list I was #50, and another 40 places for self-financing students were added.

The books cost a small fortune each for itself, plus the self-financing students had to pay them separately from the college year expenses. An unimaginable strike to your pocket. blink.gif As college students we usually buy copies of those books which are drastically cheaper (my biochemistry book bought as an original copy at the official college bookstore costs as much as all of my 2nd year book copies combined ohmy.gif), but on the first year we were forced to buy some originals because we were given some stamps which the teachers later wrote down as pre-final activity points (don't ask about this sad.gif).

It went pretty well for me ever since, I feel awesome and as if I belonged there, I really love dentistry. Sadly, since it's not very easy 42 people renewed the year, as we say here in Serbia, which means they didn't proceed to the second year because they didn't pass enough finals to do so, and from the original 240 people we are down to the current 198. Some earned their places on the state budget while some were forced to go through 2nd year as self-financing students, which means that constant work and effort is a must. smile.gif

As for my sister who applied for pharmacy this year, it was a bit less stressful, only because there were much more places that the college offered, and the proportion wasn't abnormal. Since she started studying and attending preparation classes in time it wasn't too difficult for her, but it was stressful to wait for the results, just like it was with me. Back then I was busy with finals, she was busy with college applications so you could barely even hear a fly buzzing by. Dead silence as I never knew was possible in our home. blink.gif Soon we'll have to go buy her the necessary books and I hope that her college is a bit milder, at least when it comes to book prices. I'm not really familiarized with her college rules and stuff, so I couldn't reveal more. sad.gif

Edited by *Silver Fox*

I completed a bachelor's degree and honestly wish I hadn't bothered. I just kind of did it because it seemed like something I was supposed to do, rather than a stepping stone of any kind. I have a career in a completely unrelated area that I really enjoy. I could have been working and earning money for those years, rather than ending up with a bit of paper I don't need and a big debt. I didn't even enjoy it very much. I always urge younger people to think really hard about whether tertiary education is actually right for them.

Forgot to mention - after ten years I am finally done being a student at my uni. My next degree I am definitely going to do part-time!

I'm really enjoying college right now. I'm going to school to be a CVT (Certified Veterinary Technician) and it's great.

One of my classes this mod is veterinary nursing and next week we're going to be learning how to place IV catheters.

I also have my large/farm animal care class and tomorrow we get to go to my teacher's house and work with her horses which is pretty exciting. I haven't had much exposure to horses.

I really want to go to college/university but I dropped out of high school at the end of the first semester of senior year due to homelessness and the stress/highly unfavorable situation of it all.

I hope to finally get GED stuff figured out and start at my local community college then transfer elsewhere after time.

Not sure what kind of profession to study for as I have so many interests but I hope to study abroad in South Korea or simply take language classes there as I really love Korean and am not doing so well self-teaching.

I would do your research. Don't rule out technical or trade schools - the advantage to those is that they translate easily to being able to go to work for someone else, or even working for yourself.

If you do go the college route, decide on what you want to do -before- taking on courses (and accumulating the costs/debt that can go with it) and try your best to stick with it. Look into grants (money that you don't have to pay back so long as you meet their guidelines) before signing any student loan agreements. Speak with a student adviser to help sort things out. Don't end up like me - $60k plus in the hole from young-and-stupid educational choices and only a couple of associates degrees to show for it.

There are tons of resources out there to use. Just make sure to keep an eye out for them smile.gif

ETA: As for going to Korea, once you get a bit of higher education, and if you are decent with your grasp of English grammar, you might look into a teaching-abroad program. Often, some countries will pay you to teach English over there, and the only real requirement is that you're a native speaker. Something to look into, anyway.

Edited by Omega Entity

I've just started the third week, and I'm already feeling completely and totally burned out. My thesis is due this semester, and I've been writing feverishly. But now I've hit a block. I'm being completely unfair in my analysis of Gossec's music. Is it the most interesting? Not by a long shot, but there are passages in which it's really not as bad as I've made it out to be. I'm just so exhausted and irritable that when I sat down to write, I started just harping endlessly on all the flaws. I hit three pages and my thought process was "That's it! There's nothing more to write, his music's awful and I hate it!"

On the one hand, I really want to just step away from the project for a few days because my frustration is definitely coming through in my analysis. On the other, I have to schedule my defense in November, and I just don't have the time to ignore it for a few days. I don't know. Maybe I have to skip the chapter on Gossec's music itself and write about its reception first? Maybe seeing what contemporary listeners were saying will inspire me to stop taking out my frustrations on his work. I don't know.

It's been a long time since I was this exhausted and frustrated this early on in the semester.

So, my first year in college is starting at the end of this month and I'm kinda excited about it. I mean, because I really wanted to study pharmacy. I had chemistry on my entrance exam and most questions were pretty easy because I practiced it for months with a lot of help, so I figured it out pretty well. smile.gif I should wait for the first week in college to pass so I can know what books to buy and study from, and based by what I saw on the college website there's gonna be a lot of them. It wasn't so hard to get on the budget but I was really stressed until I was sure I got in. Having inorganic chemistry doesn't sound too bad since I know it pretty well, but this is college and it's gonna be more complex so I'm a bit worried how far it will go. And I hope that my best friend and I get to be in the same group, other than her I don't know anyone there. sad.gif Most of my classmates wanted psychology or languages.

In a couple of weeks I'll be starting my master's 2nd (and last) year and frankly I'm terrified xd.png There's school, working on my dissertation and getting a job so I'm already starting to feel overwhelmed. Luckily the 2nd semester won't have classes anymore since it's dedicated strictly to working on the dissertation, but until then I have to get through the first semester.

The time is approaching where I need to start getting college applications finished and scholarship applications sent, and the stress is out of this world!

I have high expectations of myself, yet I'm questioning whether or not I should attend one of these more prestigious colleges versus a more local college. If I attend one of my dream colleges I'll just be average, and likely receive little, if at all any, scholarships from the university itself. However, if I attend one of the more local colleges I'll be at the very top of the spectrum & will be offered quite a bit (potentially full rides) in scholarship money.

I'll definitely not be eligible for financial aid - I've been blessed with a family with great jobs. My parents have saved quite a bit where I could go to a few local colleges for 4 years without any scholarships.

Any scholarship information or thoughts on prestigious but average & expensive vs. local yet 'above' everybody & cheaper?

<3

So I study health sciences in university, for a second year now and ugh... At the moment the workload is killing me. Well, not actually, but I'm stuck in a deep, deep procrastination hole that makes everything hard. I totally blew my anatomy test yesterday and I have three essays due next week. Everything about studying seems like too much right now aand that's why I waste my time here.

I will receive my Bachelor's in May, assuming I can keep up the good work! So far so good. I've been applying to grad schools and am supposed to hear from my #1 pick by the end of the week. I'll do 2 years of grad school and then will have to decide if I want to go after my PhD. I love school, but I'm getting tired xd.png

-collapses-

Just wrote my final college essay. It's for the University of Florida. I've written and re-written this essay several times, each time with a different prompt, but I was never really satisfied with any of them. And yesterday I banged out an entire essay in maybe fifteen minutes, whereas the others took hours of planning and plotting, yet this one turned out to be my best. I think I write better spontaneously. If I overthink it, I sound like a robot. No voice. But I'm happy with this one, if slightly terrified that I'm taking a big "risk" with style.

Applying to college is such a rush, man.

Well uh, I'm now a high school senior and learning the struggles of applying to colleges and scholarships and stuff. I'm really unsure what I want to do specifically but I plan for health science and biology things. As an Alabamian, I would really like to go to UAB since they are so well-known for medical and health sturf, but I would get a lot more money from UAH which has a lot more general pluses for me like block tuition costs and private bedrooms (and Huntsville is one of the nicest cities in the nation, whereas Birmingham is one of the most crime-heavy D:) tongue.gif argh and it is so stressful knowing that December is the deadline for most applications!

Edited by Aquenee

I really want to go to college, but I found out my dream art college doesn't accept people without american citizenship so I'm searching for more possibilities. Really scared I won't be able to go though as I doubt I'll get any money from my parents

I'm a university graduate with a master's in Engineering & Naval Navigation, currently working on my town's dock as a cargo operations manager.

The scrap of paper on my wall cost me so much that I think I would have been better off being a regular sailor instead. The money I lost earning this thing far outweighs the benefits I enjoy now.

Make of this what you will.

Edited by Ælex

Update: officially done applying to colleges. Now all I have to do is wait and try to postpone the impending freak-out about actually affording college.

Well uh, I'm now a high school senior and learning the struggles of applying to colleges and scholarships and stuff. I'm really unsure what I want to do specifically but I plan for health science and biology things.

Aww yiss health sciences!! I don't know how much US and Finland differ in health school studying, but if you are interested in that stuff, as a second year student I would definitely recommend! Also, a big big plus, is the fact that this field has and will probably always have a good chunk of open vacancies.

I got into Florida State University, plus a small scholarship (:

As far as school goes, I'm acing every subject except calculus right now. Calc is being such a pain but I'm trying to bring it up D:

I've been accepted to several places, including UAB, UNA, and UAH and after a bit of looking around, I decided UAH is where I want to go.

Had a lot of issues with my transcripts. Apparently our school only does transcripts of four core classes, which would have given me a GPA of 3.2-3.3... which is alright, but not what I needed. I talked to some people about the UAH Honors College and even went to a dinner event with them. I really wanted to go to the Honors College, but they require an unweighted GPA of 3.5. I had to twist around to get my counselor to include all of my classes on my transcript, which would be a 3.6 but I had no idea if the college would accept it or not.

Today I got my letter, and I was accepted into the Honors College! *cheers* I was so nervous about it, but I got in and I am definitely happy right now <3

Well, turns out I'll be graduating next semester rather than in fall of next year as I originally thought. I just have to take on a lot more units next semester to do so... x_x If everything goes well, I'll have my BA in English. I was going to be a teacher, but I decided to go into editorial work instead. We'll see where that takes me.

My Mandarin final is from 7-10 pm. I'm asleep by 11 pm many nights and have to be up at 6 am that day. This is going to be brutal.

I'm glad the semester is almost over, though. I'm going to audit the next semester's Mandarin course so I don't have to worry about the stress of exams. Technically I don't need any more courses, as its really just my research left, but I figure why not take a few things while they're paid for? I'm trying to find a good bioinformatics course to take next semester.

Edited by harlequinraven