angelicdragonpuppy

Option to use Sort By to view other's scrolls

We're discussing a filter option, not physically being able to temporarily resort another person's scroll so that they have to re-sort it.

I think the details of the compromise are getting a little unnecessarily complex, with teleport links and all. My suggestion is to take the filtering system we can already use on our scroll and be able to apply to apply it to others, with an option in your Account > Change Sort to allow people to do this to your scroll via a tick on/off box (something like "Let others use Filter views on my scroll").

This, I could get behind. As long as I could turn this "off" somehow, I'd be fine with it.

Well. It will. I've tested more than a dozen times any time the question comes up so that I can be sure what I'm telling people is correct. It will hold up. So may as well do it that way.

I used "filter sort" merely to differentiate the temp sort from the account sort options. I am sure bluesonic used "filter" to mean the same thing.

We are not suggesting people can filter scrolls. =_=

What sort options are you suggesting others should have, exactly ? Because there have also been requests for sort by CB (for others to use) to name but one. But of the temp sort options we now have, the only one that would seem to be of use for anyone else is the sort by breed.

Every now and then, I'll play a game over in the forum games section in which, upon winning, the winner gets to choose a dragon from the host's scroll that they'd like to have bred for them. Now, usually finding said dragon you want is a chaotic mess--you just kinda have to stumble around and see what you can find. There's no way to view the other person's scroll in any sort of easy-view order.

Which is why I'm proposing that we have the option to use the Sort By options on scrolls other than our own. These would affect only our own view of that scroll, of course.

Some possible uses:

- Quickly check if someone else has a given breed (ex: you want to gift a Silver to someone with less than three. You use the sort by breed option to quickly determine how many Silvers they have, if any)

- Makes it easier to search for things you might like to have bred (ex: if someone offers you a breeding from their scroll in exchange for a trade, you can use breed sort to quickly see if they have anything you'd like bred from them)

- Good for plain old curiosity as to what others have on their scrolls (ex: you wonder how many Sunsongs the person with the largest on-record Sunsong collection has, but they're scattered all over their scroll. You use the breed sort to see them all grouped together in magnificent army glory)

Note the bold. This is the suggestion. This is what I am supporting. Adding other sort filters is another suggestion.

So just breed, name and age. Not STUNNINGLY helpful, I think - only breed would be in any way USEFUL - but still.

And people have asked for CB and lineage - I can't see how the latter would work, as you'd still have to sift to see what pairs are in there.

What about a straight-forward filter?

Filter by Breed, but with caveborns being at the top of each breed stack and lineaged being at the bottom of each breed stack. So that way you have all the breeds grouped together, and the CB's and Lineaged sorted out as well by generations.

Would people still have to open a bajillion tabs to see when Caveborn ends and lineaged starts? Yes. But it'd be a much cleaner process than digging through messy scrolls.

(and on a side note, I would love if TJ made this sort option available as a default as well. I hate having to sort by breed and still have to dig to find my CB's. I know that the smart thing to do is to give distinctions in the names like last names or adding CB, but I abhor that because it makes for awkward names)

I know that if TJ would decide to implement any of those "help the stalker" suggestions, I will just hide everything on my scroll. I can. I do not need to have my scroll visible because I'm not forced by any of those "gifting threads", I choose to not ask for anything. A few traders wanted to "inspect" my scroll, I decided their trade wasn't worth risking view-bombers and, based on their demands, I blacklisted them.

That's my personal POV. I'm a bit sorry for people that choose to not be as free as I am but, at the end, that's still their choice.

What about a straight-forward filter?

Filter by Breed, but with caveborns being at the top of each breed stack and lineaged being at the bottom of each breed stack. So that way you have all the breeds grouped together, and the CB's and Lineaged sorted out as well by generations.

I'd quite like filter by CB as an option for ME, actually - though I do use a spreadsheet.

I know that if TJ would decide to implement any of those "help the stalker" suggestions, I will just hide everything on my scroll. I can. I do not need to have my scroll visible because I'm not forced by any of those "gifting threads", I choose to not ask for anything. A few traders wanted to "inspect" my scroll, I decided their trade wasn't worth risking view-bombers and, based on their demands, I blacklisted them.

That's my personal POV. I'm a bit sorry for people that choose to not be as free as I am but, at the end, that's still their choice.

Well, you're free to do with your scroll as you please. But please refrain from calling this bunch of suggestion names just because you don't like it.

But this *will* help the stalkers, there is no way around that. Maybe that's not why it was suggested, but it's one of the things that will happen. I cannot support this suggestion unless it is optional, for that very reason. Stalkers at least have a harder time, now, having to sort through pages and pages of scroll to find what they are looking for, but being able to sort however the heck they want will make it a heck of a lot easier for them to find *some* reason to harass the scroll owner.

But this *will* help the stalkers, there is no way around that. Maybe that's not why it was suggested, but it's one of the things that will happen. I cannot support this suggestion unless it is optional, for that very reason. Stalkers at least have a harder time, now, having to sort through pages and pages of scroll to find what they are looking for, but being able to sort however the heck they want will make it a heck of a lot easier for them to find *some* reason to harass the scroll owner.

Yes, it will make it easier for bullies to go through your dragons. If they are that determined, they are going to do it whether or not there is an easy sort button. Yes, it is far easier to leave scrolls wide open so people can look through your dragons for trading and gifting purposes, but by leaving them open, you are already making it possible for anyone who wants to look, to go look. If they are that determined to bother you, they will, regardless of whether its easy or not. However, that is why staff exists on this site. If someone is doing something that you consider as harassment, then report them to a staff member, so it can be looked into, and handled.

Having different sort options for another scroll doesnt do anything to your dragons, your sort, other than give a person an easier chance of finding a specific one they might be looking for. If they are determined to find it, they will. I went and loaded up rubyshoes scroll today, because its the biggest one I know of. When i saw what looked to be a breed sort, it made it easy to quickly guess where her prizes might live, based on where they are for my sort. I guessed about page 20, and hit seasonals. It wouldnt have taken long to find her prizes. I then went and looked at how my scroll looks sorted by age, since i dont know of any huge scrolls that do that. I immediately realized how much I would appreciate being able to apply a sort by breed. About the only harm I can see from this is that it would make it easier to find eggs hidden in a strange sort, if they arent already sorted to the top. A problem easily solved by adding an option that allows you hide ungrown things from the /user page. It wouldnt prevent them getting views.. only being viewed from that page specifically.

About the only harm I can see from this is that it would make it easier to find eggs hidden in a strange sort, if they arent already sorted to the top. A problem easily solved by adding an option that allows you hide ungrown things from the /user page. It wouldnt prevent them getting views.. only being viewed from that page specifically.
Or added to hatcheries through your view page.

I just made a new suggestion for this, as it seems to belong in its own thread. smile.gif

Sorry for the lack of replies to fuzz's comments in particular- Sock was right in saying that when I said filters, I meant the Sort By filters to the right, not the ones on the left of scroll view. I agree that the ones on the left would be very silly to use tongue.gif The reason why is because I was trying to avoid all uses of "sort" as a lot of people keep taking this suggestion as a way to physically re-sort someone else's scroll (even if temporary). I wanted to better highlight that it would be using a filter system, not a sorting system smile.gif I like the CB/Lineage filter-sort option idea as well, in addition to the current 3 we have.

Also, highlighting this as it was something I touched on before as well, and strongly believe in with regards to the opposition presented for this idea:

Yes, it will make it easier for bullies to go through your dragons. If they are that determined, they are going to do it whether or not there is an easy sort button. Yes, it is far easier to leave scrolls wide open so people can look through your dragons for trading and gifting purposes, but by leaving them open, you are already making it possible for anyone who wants to look, to go look. If they are that determined to bother you, they will, regardless of whether its easy or not. However, that is why staff exists on this site. If someone is doing something that you consider as harassment, then report them to a staff member, so it can be looked into, and handled.

Well, you're free to do with your scroll as you please. But please refrain from calling this bunch of suggestion names just because you don't like it.

I would reply but Marie already did, better than I could.

Not saying that the OP or others intended to help the stalkers but that would be the "unintended consequence."

Wow. I like this idea, I am also glad that I saw this because I did not know about the filters on peoples own scrolls. Shows how observant I am tongue.gif .

Having different sort options for another scroll doesnt do anything to your dragons, your sort, other than give a person an easier chance of finding a specific one they might be looking for. If they are determined to find it, they will. I went and loaded up rubyshoes scroll today, because its the biggest one I know of. When i saw what looked to be a breed sort, it made it easy to quickly guess where her prizes might live, based on where they are for my sort. I guessed about page 20, and hit seasonals. It wouldnt have taken long to find her prizes. I then went and looked at how my scroll looks sorted by age, since i dont know of any huge scrolls that do that. I immediately realized how much I would appreciate being able to apply a sort by breed. About the only harm I can see from this is that it would make it easier to find eggs hidden in a strange sort, if they arent already sorted to the top. A problem easily solved by adding an option that allows you hide ungrown things from the /user page. It wouldnt prevent them getting views.. only being viewed from that page specifically.

I feel like if someone wanted to find someone's hidden eggs/hatchlings, they would just go on a click site and put their scroll name so it shows all their growing things, so I don't think this suggestion makes too much difference towards that..

I feel like if someone wanted to find someone's hidden eggs/hatchlings, they would just go on a click site and put their scroll name so it shows all their growing things, so I don't think this suggestion makes too much difference towards that..

If they are hidden - that cannot work. If a scroll is hidden, the site will say "you have no eggs or hatchlings" - I imagine that would be the same here. The same applies when they are fogged.

If they are hidden - that cannot work. If a scroll is hidden, the site will say "you have no eggs or hatchlings" - I imagine that would be the same here. The same applies when they are fogged.

Yeah - but some people do hide their eggs/hatchies in the middle of their scroll, I'm saying if this was implemented they would still be just as easy to find by people determined to find them as they are now.

The option of hiding your scroll is still there, though, yes.

Edited by AppleMango

I think the suggestion was that if this were implemented we need the option to show adults and hide growing things (we already have it the other way around !) I thought you meant hidden as in fogged or hidden scroll.

I think the suggestion was that if this were implemented we need the option to show adults and hide growing things (we already have it the other way around !) I thought you meant hidden as in fogged or hidden scroll.

I agree that hiding growing things and showing adults is a good idea.

I was more saying I don't think it has to relate to this because it's easy to find people's growing things unless they have their whole scroll hidden anyway. I guess. That's what I think now, haha.

I 100% support this idea, when someone kindly offers to breed you something off of their scroll, and you follow the link to find 12 pages of dragons, that are in no order that you can fathom, it is very hard to find if they have what you want.

By all means build in safety features, though I wonder what is happening that there is so much fear about people being able to see your scroll, but the basic idea of being able to sort, *shrugs* why is it problematic?

I 100% support this idea, when someone kindly offers to breed you something off of their scroll, and you follow the link to find 12 pages of dragons, that are in no order that you can fathom, it is very hard to find if they have what you want.

By all means build in safety features, though I wonder what is happening that there is so much fear about people being able to see your scroll, but the basic idea of being able to sort, *shrugs* why is it problematic?

Fear ? I'm no more scared of people sorting my scroll for their own ends as I am of them reading my diary. I just don't think - in either case - that they have the right to. If I were AFRAID, I would be hiding my scroll.

But IF this were to happen, we MUST be able to hide growing things while leaving our adults visible (if we choose to.) Just as we can hide adults and leave growing things visible now (and I have never seen why that is an option - it seems insane ! If you allow people to see your eggs and hatchies why on earth would you care if they look at your adults.)

As to finding what you want bred - if there is something you want - ask me if I can breed it - you don't have to go through my scroll. In fact - better to ask - that way if there are some I am not prepared to breed and those are the ones you fancied when hunting through my dragons - you won't be disappointed. I get loads of requests like "could you breed me a thunder from Val 09" (nope, don't HAVE a Val 09 !) But that is so much quicker even if you COULD sort my scroll. You'd still have to check every dragon of whatever breed you want that I own to see if its lineage fits your needs and the rest.

Edited for expletive deleted autocorrect sad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

Just as we can hide adults and leave growing things visible now (and I have never seen why that is an option - it seems insane ! If you allow people to see your eggs and hatchies why on earth would you care if they look at your adults.)

Actually. fuzz, I do use it. Most of the time my adults are hidden. When I m not around to keep an eye on things, I just hide the whole scroll. But during the day, when I am here, I have growing things unhidden so I can easily see them. I sort my scroll once a week to put things in their proper place. Until that is done, I can look at the growing stuff without adults in between. But that is just me.

As far as being able to see peoples' dragons on unhidden scrolls, I have no problem with this suggestion, so long as it is optional. If I look at trades and have to wade through pages of stuff that makes no sense to me personally, I just don't bother. It probably makes sense to them, but I can't deal with it. My problem not theirs.

Edited by ainisarie

Actually. fuzz, I do use it.  Most of the time my adults are hidden.  When I m not around to keep an eye on things, I just hide the whole scroll.  But during the day, when I am here, I have growing things unhidden so I can easily see them.  I sort my scroll once a week to put things in their proper place.  Until that is done, I can look at the growing stuff without adults in between.  But that is just me.

As far as being able to see peoples' dragons on hidden scrolls, I have no problem with this suggestion, so long as it is optional.  If I look at trades and have to wade through pages of stuff that makes no sense to me personally, I just don't bother.  It probably makes sense to them, but I can't deal with it. My problem not theirs.

But why not leave your adults visible - no-one can harm them, whereas growing things there is a reason they might need to be hidden.

Wait - who on earth was suggesting people's dragons on HIDDEN scrolls would be visible ? I cannot imaging anyone with a hidden scroll being OK with that.see below xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

But why not leave your adults visible - no-one can harm them, whereas growing things there is a reason they might need to be hidden.

Wait - who on earth was suggesting people's dragons on HIDDEN scrolls would be visible ? I cannot imaging anyone with a hidden scroll being OK with that.

That was a typing error, which I fixed. And I keep my adults hidden much of the time because it is faster when I am looking at my growing things...less to load. Not that I am trying to really hide them. Aside from that, it is unhidden

A little miffed here....I suggested this not too long ago, and got my butt chewed by just about everyone. Still hope it gets implemented tho. dry.gif