Thuban

Option to hide progeny

We have the options available to hide our scrolls, hide our names.. but unfortunatly we do not currently have the option to hide the list of our dragons babies.

It is a well known fact that people will consistantly stalk the progeny pages of the prize dragons and certain rares in order to see what was bred, to who, and who got the baby.

I would like to have the option to hide this page, under the /account scroll options. The ability to choose whether people should be allowed to see the babies we are breeding should be completely up to the owner who is breeding the dragons.

What do you guys think?

Curent idea: Progeny should only hide currently growing things. Those currently growing things would NOT show up on their parent/grandparents pages until they are grown.

Edited by Thuban

torn

one side support: no more stalking my offspring and breeding request PMs

my other side: how do i get to know who has babies i need offspring from for my 6th gen fail/tinsel/thuwed/shimmer project??

I dont expect that most people would actually use it. I feel like it should be an option, regardless. Lets use these new prizes for example. Im sure the spriter would appreciate being able to hide the babies being born, purely because hers is rather in demand. It would keep people who /might/ have an interest in viewbombing any baby bred purely because they are upset about not getting one.

Baby-stalking HAS been an ongoing issue. Think back to when we had code catching. How many people would stalk the cb hollies, looking to see what babies were bred, just to try to refresh on a code in hopes of nabbing one. Its merely an option to provide better "security" for those who feel their lines are worth stalking, to protect their babies a bit more.

Granted, i might be a bit paranoid, but it seems like it should already exist as an option, even if my own logic behind wanting this is faulty.

Edited by Thuban

? You can already hide the babies for protection so I don't really understand the reasoning. Are you wanting to hide the adult progeny too? I would hate to see that.

I like looking at the family trees of some of my dragons. Who were the grandparents, what other commons did so and so breed their alts with and how does that look, or how common is such and such a tinsel lineage I picked up in the AP, etc, etc.

It's a shame that a few unscrupulous people are stalking, harassing, or view bombing but I think the reactions are getting overblown. It seems like more and more people want absolute and total control over every aspect of their dragons, including ancestors and children. I don't think that's very feasible when there is so much trading and gifting and lineages and whatever else that causes dragons to go from one scroll to another.

People should have the option to hide the progenies of their own dragons. I didnt say anything about affecting lineage views. We already have tools at our disposal to "fake breed" to other dragons to see how things will look, in some of the hatcheries. But if i want to hide my progeny page because lets say: i dont want people seeing the list of balloons bred while trying to get a silver, I should be able to.

Yes, people can /fog/ their babies to hide them. They can hide their names, hide their scrolls.. but some people like to leave their scrolls unlocked at all times. If people want to hide their progeny lists from prying eyes though, it should be a standard option that can be set or unset at will. If you want a purebred dog.. you wont necessarily be given a list of every single puppy the pairing has ever done, a list of every single sibling that has happened... why should the list of our dragons babies and their siblings have to be trackable?

Edited by Thuban

Wouldn't it be better to have 3 options? Like;

- Show full progeny

- Show only adults [to stop eggs being stalked and viewbombed]

- Hide progeny

I know eggs can be hidden anyway by their owner, but this would still be a nice option to have.

I like Grox's idea :3 That way people have full control and the side of me that likes poking around curiously likes the idea that I'd still be able to see the adults, even if the babies are hidden.

I like the idea, even if I wouldn't use it (don't have anything special enough to hide hurr).

An option under /account to hide (1) the progeny link on dragon's page (I'm assuming it would hide the link because it seems pointless to have the link if the page is hidden) and (2) the progeny page itself for anyone trying to manually type in the link (page could give a "not found" or something).

Because sometimes hiding the eggs isn't enough. I don't remember the rules for displaying dates for breeding (I can see my dragons' dates but can others see when they last bred?) but I think this would help cut down on in-cave stalking.

Lineage etc. wouldn't be affected so sure why not.

I don't see myself using this if it were implemented.

That said, I also can't think of any logical arguments against adding it, aside from the fact it would add coding. (And what kind of lame argument is that? tongue.gif )

So, I support this suggestion. smile.gif

EDIT: That said, I like Grox's implementation idea the best:

- Show full progeny

- Hide progeny

Edited by SolarCat

That said, I also can't think of any logical arguments against adding it, aside from the fact it would add coding. (And what kind of lame argument is that? tongue.gif )

EDIT: That said, I like Grox's implementation idea the best:

Grox option floats well with me too. I just want the option to hide if i /want/ to tongue.gif

Can't say I like the idea. Heck, I don't like folk being able to hide adults or their scrolls for that matter. If I'm trying to track down a specific pairing that I need for a breeding project, I'd hate being thwarted by someone else's paranoia.

I don't hide anything, and I've NEVER been badgered or viewbombed or stalked.. and I have a darn nice set of dragons that I get breeding requests for often. AND I LIKE IT. I like gifting... and trading... and asking for folk to breed for me too. But I also know the difference between asking, begging and stalking and know that the last two are huge no-nos.

Sure I've gotten PMs from folk that beg or stalk, but you know what? That's what the BLOCK sender function is there for. And if that isn't enough, you contact a Mod or TJ and REPORT the idiot. Giving in to the paranoia just makes the game harder for everyone.

There isn't any 'true' reason, but here are a few community-based ones.

- Gifting: Some threads (or people) only gift on the condition that the first offspring of the gift is gifted as well. Such progeny-hiding would make this even harder to keep an eye on then it already is.

- IOUs: yes yes, they're not official, but they're still very much used. If someone promises me the next baby from a certain dragon of theirs, and then I see they've sent the baby to someone else, I can ask them what's going on and hopefully get things fairly resolved. Hiding progeny makes IOUs even more risky then they already are.

- Curiosity: personally I love to see how many siblings my lineaged dragons have. It'd be rather lame if everyone kept hiding the progeny and I felt rather 'sealed in' to my own scroll, without a sense of connection to other players.

Again, no solid, strictly official reasons against it, but I feel the side aspects of the game matter too. If you want to hide growing progeny for safety then sure, but otherwise no, please.

- Show full progeny

- Hide progeny

I know eggs can be hidden anyway by their owner, but this would still be a nice option to have.

Yes, those options are nice smile.gif

I don't hide anything, and I've NEVER been badgered or viewbombed or stalked

You have been fortunate. Others aren't so lucky. I remember one incident a few years back where someone was intentionally viewbombing a user AND any gifts people had offered to replace her killed dragons.

A "Hide Growing Progeny" would be excellent for growing things to prevent death by curious overclickers, especially for things like 2nd gen prize dragons.

A "Hide Growing Progeny" would be excellent for growing things to prevent death by curious overclickers, especially for things like 2nd gen prize dragons.

But we already have fogging. And if the egg/dragon isn't on your scroll isn't hiding the progeny doing something that affects another users scroll?

Edited by Tawanda001

I really think this is being a bit too paranoid. I would accept hiding growing progeny, but not adults.

I just used a progeny link to determine that a dragon I was going to offer on a trade for would not be suitable because it was a half sibling to a dragon that I already had. If people start hiding progeny links that sort of determination would be hard to make.

Grox option gives a way to only hide the growing stuff. Thats enough for me. I'm just not seeing any logical reason that IF a user wants to hide their progeny.. they shouldnt be able to.

"but how am i going to see if someone i traded with bred my egg and gave it away?" -pesonal issue. The trade was between you guys, and its your responsibility to talk to them about it.

"What if i want to see if it has bred successfully with x breed in the past?" Ask the person you are trying to trade with if you can look?

"this is just being too paranoid" well, that may very well be the case, however.. things this would help slow down DO happen.. and if it makes the scroll owner feel more comfortable with how things work, its their business. Like i said before.. not many people would want to use this option.. but those that would, will appreciate having it.

Its a personal choice.. and if the owner wants stuff hidden, having more options to do so is a good thing. My sons scroll got bombarded bad enough for 3 months that i never once had to post his dragons anywhere (he was too young to handle hatcheries himself at the time). I didnt have to post my scroll anywhere for the same three months.. all because one person got upset that he decided to kill a purple dino when they were new. Every gold he bred was viewbombed. Had the option existed for those babies that he bred to NOT show up on their parents pages, it would have been helpful.

Edit: I can see why you guys are against the idea. It does make sense. Im failing to see how having the option available is a bad thing. We should have some control over things like that. Thats all im saying tongue.gif

Edited by Thuban

How would this work anyways? Could you even hide the progeny of, say a third gen? Like if I had given/traded a second gen to someone, and they decided to hide progeny on their scroll, can I still view it through my dragon's progeny list? I have mixed feelings about not being able to view my own dragon's full progeny.

Edited by Nectaris

Nectaris, I don't understand.

You're hiding the progeny of your own dragon, not hiding your dragon on its parents' progeny lists.

Since I own a 2nd gen shimmer I'll use that as an example. With this suggestion I could either hide all its progeny or only those that are still growing, protecting the people who I traded/gifted its offspring to from harassment for offspring and/or viewbombers.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Nectaris, I don't understand.

You're hiding the progeny of your own dragon, not hiding your dragon on its parents' progeny lists.

Since I own a 2nd gen shimmer I'll use that as an example.  With this suggestion I could either hide all its progeny or only those that are still growing, protecting the people who I traded/gifted its offspring to from harassment for offspring and/or viewbombers.

But doesn't that defeat the purpose if you hid your dragon's progeny, but I could go to its parents and see the progeny you hid(assuming that they didn't hide theirs)?

What I mean is if I were to go to this page and hit http://dragcave.net/progeny/aE5if as an example, would I be able to see the grandchildren of my dragon by hitting "show/hide children" if the owner of that dragon had their progeny hid? Just in case you misunderstood what I originally said.

Edited by Nectaris

I don't feel like this is neccesary honestly. Its too much effort to prevent something that doesn't occur often enough to warrant attention.

I think being able to hid growing offspring is a very good idea.

However, despite there being no smoking gun type reason to not hide all progeny, I personally feel that all *adult* progeny should be always shown, just like lineages. I personally enjoy looking at the different and varied offspring of the original tinsels, and seeing how their progeny lists grow over time. Considering the number of said tinsels that have everything hidden... if you were able to hid adult progeny too, most would end up hidden.

For myself? My scroll is almost always open, and I don't mind getting requests for bred commons, or my common lineages.

But being able to protect growing things, that sounds to me like an excellent compromise, and in fact, needed.

Cheers!

C4.