Thuban

Option to hide progeny

How would this work anyways? Could you even hide the progeny of, say a third gen? Like if I had given/traded a second gen to someone, and they decided to hide progeny on their scroll, can I still view it through my dragon's progeny list? I have mixed feelings about not being able to view my own dragon's full progeny.

Well. It seems that people are cool with the idea of only having growing things be hidden, so if I want to hide my progeny it should hide my growing babies on your screen too. When they grow up, it would show up on yours, you just wouldnt see the currently growing things.

I agree that the option to hide growing things alone would be enough. It doesn't help the PMing offspring owners problem, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. The biggest concern is viewbombing babies.

I agree that the option to hide growing things alone would be enough. It doesn't help the PMing offspring owners problem, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be. The biggest concern is viewbombing babies.

Yes. The owners can hide their names if they really dont want the adults tracked back to them.

That sounds like a good compromise to me. Hiding growing things is limited in and of itself and would only hide things for no more than 14 days max. Two weeks is easily lived with.

I do agree that the babies should be hidden everywhere, because, well, we should respect the wishes of the person who owns the dragon.

That said, though, I am leaning more towards only hiding eggs/hatchies...

All in all though, I'm dead set against hiding stuff anywhere, except where it needs protection. It creates a sense of paranoia, secrecy, deception and urgency, that should not be as present in a gaming site as it already is. Increasing those hide options only furthers this problem.

Down the line, I see this even leading to more harassment and pms, as it will get increasingly harder to gain information about others.

Agreed 100%!

I would love the option, in general, of being able to show adults and hide growing things. At the moment the only option of that type is the other way around sad.gif I am happy for people to look at my scroll - they may need to to ask for a breeding ! - but not in such numbers that my eggies get sick sad.gif

I think hiding the eggs/hatchlings is a good idea in itself. I don't really see the difference with hiding the eggs/hatchlings through the progeny and simply fogging the egg/hatchling. The end result is the same, right? Eggs/hatchlings can't be viewbombed with either option?

Hiding the adults.... I say NO to that. Adults can't get sick and as stated earlier, if you really don't want anyone to contact you, simply hide your name and no one knows how to contact you or let it show and get a different forum name. After all, forum names are not necessarily scroll names and are linked to your scroll, so that way nobody could contact you either.

I think hiding the eggs/hatchlings is a good idea in itself. I don't really see the difference with hiding the eggs/hatchlings through the progeny and simply fogging the egg/hatchling. The end result is the same, right? Eggs/hatchlings can't be viewbombed with either option?

Hiding the adults.... I say NO to that. Adults can't get sick and as stated earlier, if you really don't want anyone to contact you, simply hide your name and no one knows how to contact you or let it show and get a different forum name. After all, forum names are not necessarily scroll names and are linked to your scroll, so that way nobody could contact you either.

Anyone can hide their whole scroll.

But if you fog growing things, then even when YOU want your eggs etc. in hatcheries, they cannot gain views unless you unfog. If we can set our scrolls to hide adults - which we can, in scroll settings - why not the other way around ?

Guys, I've already accepted the compromise of providing the option to ONLY HIDE GROWING THINGS tongue.gif

I dont want people following babies I have bred through my dragons progeny to the new owners. All its offering is a way to NOT have those new babys show up on MY page. The new owner of said babies will have their own options that already exist: hide scroll, hide name, fogballs.

Im perfectly cool with the babies i bred not showing up on the view page (under parents for those who have not bred enough babies to have "view chilldren" show up as a link). I never follow the babies that leave my scroll anyhow, so I am content to not see them on my page until they are adults.

Edited by Thuban

Guys, I've already accepted the compromise of providing the option to ONLY HIDE GROWING THINGS tongue.gif

I dont want people following babies I have bred through my dragons progeny to the new owners. All its offering is a way to NOT have those new babys show up on MY page. The new owner of said babies will have their own options that already exist: hide scroll, hide name, fogballs.

Im perfectly cool with the babies i bred not showing up on the view page (under parents for those who have not bred enough babies to have "view chilldren" show up as a link). I never follow the babies that leave my scroll anyhow, so I am content to not see them on my page until they are adults.

I agree with you. But I thought this was a smart place to mention that the option to simply hide all growing things in the same way that we can hide their parents and leave the poor babies exposed would be very nice indeed !

I am OK with hiding progeny in general, actually - though I can't say I'd use it. But I can see how it would help cut down harassment.

Wouldn't it be better to have 3 options? Like;

- Show full progeny

- Show only adults [to stop eggs being stalked and viewbombed]

- Hide progeny

I know eggs can be hidden anyway by their owner, but this would still be a nice option to have.

Now this idea I like - While I really don't have any dragons that people might want offspring from - it could come in handy for those who do.

I think I would use the show only Adults option personally - though it should also include the Frozen Hatchlings (as there is no danger of them being view bombed)

But the new owners can already do that if it concerns them. If the egg or hatchling is fogged or hidden it no longer shows up on your progeny page.

I guess I just don't get the point of trying to protect someone else's egg when they can do it for themselves if they choose to.

But the new owners can already do that if it concerns them. If the egg or hatchling is fogged or hidden it no longer shows up on your progeny page.

I guess I just don't get the point of trying to protect someone else's egg when they can do it for themselves if they choose to.

Because, prizes, and cb holly babies are already at a higher risk of being "stalked". Any new prize babies showing up in the hatcheries /right now/ are guarenteed to have extra views on them because people /will/ click them, because only the lower gens exist right now. Having the option to narrow down how many people can see the baby the moment its bred from the progeny page can be used in additon to hiding your scroll/hiding babies to protect them while in teleport links before the new owners get a chance to grab them.

While i personally have my own method for protecting babies, once they are in a tele.. I do not like fogging them. I do not post babies that are in a tele until they are approaching 4d and if they hatch on my scroll I keep them. I have no qualms with hiding my scroll to protect those babies, but i will not fog something once its in a teleport and i will not post them anywhere to keep their views low. This suggestion is merely an option that would help people in the situation where they have something really valuable on hand that they have bred that they might not necessarily want shared around the forums.

Side note that has a point.. I have an issue with the wiki immediately listing all of the codes for the new prizes.. whether or not those codes should be listed there should have been up to the owners of those codes. I dont know how things like that are handled on there though.. but i feel like it increases the loss of privacy for those owners if they had no say in whether or not their codes could be listed. Even so, once those codes are listed.. theres no going back. They are out there, and even if the owner threw a fit and demanded the listing be taken down.. their codes were already spread to everyone. If one of those codes listed were MY dragon.. I would have thrown a fit, because I would NOT want to advertise that i have one,because I cant stop people from stalking its page to find the babies bred. I had the same kneejerk reaction when my son was suddenly given a page on there, without someone talking to me about it first, because something about the original version of his page set me off. I had a problem with my profile and my scroll link being posted for a little while.. but it doesnt bother me now as much.

Side note that has a point.. I have an issue with the wiki immediately listing all of the codes for the new prizes.. whether or not those codes should be listed there should have been up to the owners of those codes. I dont know how things like that are handled on there though.. but i feel like it increases the loss of privacy for those owners if they had no say in whether or not their codes could be listed. Even so, once those codes are listed.. theres no going back. They are out there, and even if the owner threw a fit and demanded the listing be taken down.. their codes were already spread to everyone. If one of those codes listed were MY dragon.. I would have thrown a fit, because I would NOT want to advertise that i have one,because I cant stop people from stalking its page to find the babies bred. I had the same kneejerk reaction when my son was suddenly given a page on there, without someone talking to me about it first, because something about the original version of his page set me off. I had a problem with my profile and my scroll link being posted for a little while.. but it doesnt bother me now as much.

ANYONE can edit the wiki.... ninja.gif

I seem to be alone here, but I think only hiding growing things defeats the purpose. As soon as it's frozen or grows up, any progeny stalker is going to see that dragon bred and they didn't get the dragon. It does protect the young one from viewbombing, which is a definite plus. Of course, hiding as its own disadvantage because it may just look like the person isn't breeding dragons, which has been the source of progeny stalker anger before.

I'm neutral on this in any case. :3 I'm certainly not against it, I'm just not sure there's any good solution to stop people harassing in this way besides, hopefully, reporting these users when possible (get PMs).

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I seem to be alone here, but I think only hiding growing things defeats the purpose. As soon as it's frozen or grows up, any progeny stalker is going to see that dragon bred and they didn't get the dragon. It does protect the young one from viewbombing, which is a definite plus. Of course, hiding as its own disadvantage because it may just look like the person isn't breeding dragons, which has been the source of progeny stalker anger before.

I'm neutral on this in any case. :3 I'm certainly not against it, I'm just not sure there's any good solution to stop people harassing in this way besides, hopefully, reporting these users when possible (get PMs).

Oh I agree. Progeny stalkers are a pain, whichever way they jump.

But I would still like the potential for the opposite scroll display option to stay right in the middle of the table !

I've had some time to think about this, and I think I still prefer Grox's method.

I think of it like the option to hide names on the scroll... Some people do that, but a lot don't and a lot of people link to their scrolls here on the forums, too.

So I think it should be an option. I don't think one person's privacy should be sacrificed because others want trading option or certain lineages.

Hiding adult progeny will be a problem for trades. I am building a lineage that includes CB Shadow Walkers, and obviously I have to trade for their offspring. The progeny page is my way to check if I already have offspring of the parents because I want to prevent inbreeding. If adult progeny is hidden, I'd be forced to make a list (note that there are about 180 dragons involved in that lineage at the moment, and there will be more). Adult dragons can't be viewbombed, so there is no need to hide them.

I'd have to reject any uncertain offer. Anyone building a lineage with Holiday Dragons might know that problem, too.

Edited by Rally Vincent

Anyone can hide their whole scroll.

But if you fog growing things, then even when YOU want your eggs etc. in hatcheries, they cannot gain views unless you unfog. If we can set our scrolls to hide adults - which we can, in scroll settings - why not the other way around ?

Oh right! I forgot that part of the fogging! Okay, I'm all for hiding growing progeny on your scroll smile.gif

Hiding adult progeny will be a problem for trades. I am building a lineage that includes CB Shadow Walkers, and obviously I have to trade for their offspring. The progeny page is my way to check if I already have offspring of the parents because I want to prevent inbreeding. If adult progeny is hidden, I'd be forced to make a list (note that there are about 180 dragons involved in that lineage at the moment, and there will be more). Adult dragons can't be viewbombed, so there is no need to hide them.

I'd have to reject any uncertain offer. Anyone building a lineage with Holiday Dragons might know that problem, too.

I see your point, but as one who is too lazy to check the progeny page, all my lineages are planned out in documents - so all the existing family members are shown there. Actually I find it quicker than other options- I just open up the - say - dorsal file (that one being unusually complicated because of colouration !) and there are all my dorsals, their lineage, and so on...

And yes, my holiday/white line is another case in point.

At this point this option would only be applied to /currently growing/ things, would be able to be turned on and off at the owners will. Its not going to affect lineage view.. if you have the code of the egg, you can still view it and everything. You just cant use the progeny to see the newest egg. The already grown and frozen things would show up, so you would be easily able to see if you already had an egg from those pairings.

...just popping in to say that I'd really like this, for growing things at least (doesn't really matter who can see what once it's an adult).

Even if your scroll is hidden, if people have the code, they can pull a dragon up and stalk it. Since this would help breeders to protect their eggs, I'm all for it.

I support this as long as hidden progeny can still be posted by their user to gain views.

I was recently view bombed after grabbing a hatchling from the AP. Only this hatchling avoided getting sick and I didn't like that I had to hide my whole scroll and fog everything while that hatchling was growing just so my other hatchlings and eggs would survive.