Obscure_Trash

Textually Change the B) Smilie

There's a sunglasses smiley. You can get it by clicking it in the smilies box or by typing its text code, seen below.

B) = cool.gif

Sometimes it shows up in posts when that wasn't a user's intent.

It's a little funny when I'm reading through someone's big, serious post and they forgot to turn off emotes so their points are listed like:

A) Smart stuff here.

cool.gif Hey, you're distracted by the emote!

C) How about another good point?

D) Grand finale

Yes, it's easy to edit the post and uncheck 'Enable emoticons?' but sometimes you don't notice the smiley has snuck in or you run out of time and have to run off and don't realize it's there.

So. Not a big deal, but...

Could we change the text prompt from B) to 8) or 8-) or B-) instead? That way the smiley is more likely used when people mean to use it and not when they're trying to make an alphabetized list without the official list function.

8) would be my preference but I know people use that sometimes when they want to do a sunglasses emote but don't want the actual forum smiley to show up in their post or when their post is quoted. I understand. That's why I use three's as smiles a lot. But yeah. 8) is my preference and 8-) and B-) are the other easy choices.

/overly long post for a really simple request because Sock is prolific even if not articulate or eloquent

Personally, I think 8) might end up causing the same problem sometimes. If it changes, a list could end up looking like this:

1) Blah

2) Blah Blah

3) Blah Blah Blah

4) Blah Blah Blah Blah

5) Blah Blah

6) Blah Blah Blah

7) Blah

cool.gif Blah Blah Blah

9) Blah Blah

Edit: However, I would be all for changing it to B-) or 8-)! I think it is a good idea!

Edited by Forest

I agree with this. I hate it when I have to edit a post to remove that monstrosity :|

Simple request, but one I'd like to see. I feel really dumb when I post a list like your example one and those sunglasses pop up.

I'd opt for it being B-) because then people definitely know which emoticon they're picking. 8) just looks like a wide-eyed friendly face... or someone with those big round glasses. Not the wonderful prick sunglasses the B-) goes with.

Yeah, I agree. I see that little guy popping up on accident a lot. XD; B-) is my favorite too.

Edited by Switch

Yes, please. I vote for B-). I hate it when that stupid smilie pops up in a place I don't intend it to be and would really love to see it changed.

Edited by LascielsShadow

Sounds like a good idea to me. That sneaky cool.gif smiley has a way of turning up in unexpected places.

all for it.

i always need to change my posts from a) cool.gif to 1) 2) or similar stuff...

i would not have that much of a problem with 8), since if you are doing such long lists, the list command might be better suited anyway.

I totally support a change to B-). I hate when I am trying to do a list and get those stupid things! It doesn't have to be an upper case B to trigger it, either -- a lower case b gives you this also. cool.gif

I agree. Honestly, I hate interpreted smileys, but if they have to be there, then I'd rather they don't interfere with common uses.

Wait, there's a [dis/en]able emoticons box? Where? o-o

+1 post of supporting

Right below the post box if you choose 'add reply'. It's not a forum setting. x3

Haxed the subtitle to take out 8) as a choice, since that was pointed out and majority is swayed elsewhere, anyway. =p

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that a lowercase b triggered it too!

Majority seems to be saying B-).

o3o

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

B-) seems easiest since you almost certainly won't use that as a bullet in a list, but otherwise looks identical to the current (so relatively little confusion). Pretty please!

I prefer B-). Seeing as how the change would help people think about what they're posting, and there would be less accidents.

However, what about making it more complicated to make the cool.gif smiley? What about the poor newbies that don't know of the enlongated smiley?

I think having B-) would cause less confusion (even for the newbies) and it would also help prevent the unintentional smile from showing up on a list.

So support from me.

However, what about making it more complicated to make the cool.gif smiley? What about the poor newbies that don't know of the enlongated smiley?

New users who don't know they can click 'Show All' under the clickable smilies box to find more smilies and to see all the text commands are probably just clicking the emote from the 'Clickable Smilies' anyway.

/leetle confused what you're trying to point out here, sorry