Arctic

[OOC Thread] The World of Ash

It doesn't have to be anything but a reaction to the Rakers' appearance - don't worry.

And aye, go ahead and send a character application my way.

Limitless contacted me and said she plans on making a post this weekend. She's been dealing with something like 18 credit hours at college and been heavily invested in a few courses - hasn't been easy. Sorry for the lull in activity - I still hold an interest in carrying things forwards, even though it's taken me 2.25 years to describe an afternoon.

Pacing has never been my strong suit, heh.

Dang. It has been a little over two years. That's amazing and also sad cause none of us remembered to celebrate :c

Anyways, that's good to hear about Limitless. I'm glad she's doing okay (breathing status wise).

I'm so sorry, everyone!! Things have been so crazy and my health has been a mess. Between that and classes, I've had no time to make any posts. Gonna do my best to get that cranked out tonight, tomorrow worst case scenario.

Thank you all for your patience!! QQMQQ

I am finished with finals and the Spring semester. I have a free Summer as of yet unless I manage to get hired for some job.

Anyways, I hope everyone's doing okay.

I'm here, working on finishing my reply now that I have time. Finals are done for me, too, and I'm settled back in with my family. I should finally have the tie I need to make replies in a timely manner. >m<

Checking in again. I hope things are going well for everyone. ^^

Arctic, was there something specific you had planned for the Rakers or were they just something to spice things up?

Sorry, been swamped. Still here, yegh. Feel really bad about the inactivity.

They were there to spice things up, mostly. There isn't much planned for them, though now that they've been attacked they might play a bigger role. They're fairly relentless.

Wow, just saw Mad Max. Ideas ahoy. 'Course, the fact that we're dealing with a mountainous urban arctic wasteland versus a flat wild desert wasteland probably throws a wrench in the cogs of my mind.

I haven't seen the new Mad Max yet, but the old ones were pretty awesome. I'm sure there's ideas in there despite the difference of locale smile.gif.

Hey, guys, quick notice.

So, in an effort to keep things active and moving along, I think we've all kind of scared eachother into making long posts. I never meant we all needed to make three paragraphs worth of extrapolation every time we contributed - don't be afraid to make shorter replies! A few sentences is fine, as long as it gets across what needs to be gotten across (which, honestly, a few sentences is often all you'll need for).

You'll probably see my posts be longer, but that's 'cause I'm sort of in the driver's seat. Still, I'm going to see about cutting back on unnecessary detail in favor of moving things along faster.

In short, post however much you feel comfortable posting.

Alright. If it's okay then, I'll make my response in the next two or three days. Hopefully tomorrow. Is it just the two Rakers or are there more? And, is it safe to move them about as much as pleased? Or should I leave them in your control?

I don't know how intelligent Rakers are; their description only says that they're curious. But, I left the number at two though, that doesn't mean Alice or Red didn't see anymore.

Anyways, yay for action. When it's all over, Levi's gonna try and get his first knife back aha.

By 'curious', I more meant 'strange'. Rakers are anomalous in that they're a mutant (sometimes pack) predator, much like wolves, and one of the only "perfect" mutated creatures (though they still often have defects, they're seldom crippling). I'd say an alpha's intelligence is on par with how velociraptors are portrayed in Jurassic Park, and those underneath the alpha are a step below that. They are armored, and the only good way to get around that armor is to use strategy - brute force seldom works. So when two Rakers go toe-to-toe, it's the one that knows how to exploit his opponent to get at his vulnerable bits that will win and get to have children.

They can be very, very dangerous, as they've evolved to both take advantage of snow and urban environments, and have had quite a bit of exposure to ranged weapons, given that bows and guns and whatnot been used against them since they first came into being. While crossbows and the like can harm them, it's unlikely, but they're all too well aware of the potential of a firearm. In their minds, "loud bang = considerable threat", but given that they're an apex predator, they've little concept of being hunted, and will thus often fight until it becomes apparent it isn't an engagement they'll win. Of course, they'll do this after taking cover and seeking the most protected route to their target possible. They also might fight simply to drive intruders away from their claim/territory.

Some people create small propellant/gunpowder charges similar to firecrackers just for use against the lizards, as if they think you have a gun, they'll often try to break line-of-sight with you. Not always the best thing, as they might find a clever way to get close and ambush you without you ever knowing.

|D Ah. So it seems like I've made an oops in my post then. At least, regarding Jasmine's bit.

It's been years since I last watched any bit of Jurassic Park (and, even then, I've yet to see the full films) so I'm not certain about the intelligence of the Velociraptors. Instead, I tried thinking of alligators/crocodiles and how they acted. They tend to lift their upper bodies when they run and I figured the Rakers were more aggressive so they wouldn't flee as soon as you punched them in the nose.

But, this information is good to have now. |D Unfortunately, I made myself look dumb before hand.

Nah, you didn't. Don't worry! What you wrote is more or less on point - I'm going to write their reaction to the gunfire, but ducking in the face of a crossbow is exactly what they'd do. They're highly aggressive, and it takes a substantial threat to make them outright flee - otherwise, they'll fall back, regroup, and attack again and again until you've either left their territory or are dead and a new meal for them. A punch in the nose won't bother them, nor will a little blood loss, but if you get past their armor they're going to retreat and plan out what to do next, basically.

Rakers look a lot like very large, very armored, very mean geckos, to put it simply.

Rollin' in, checkin' in. How's everyone doing? Fall term starts in just over two weeks from now for me. Should be fun since I've got two physics classes out of 16 total credits.

Checking in once more. It's been a little silent lately and I think we're actually waiting for Mistress to post? Unless you, Mistress, were waiting on Arctic?

Anyways, I hope everyone's doing good these days. ^^ I'm coming up on a three-day weekend this week.

I was waiting for Limitless, since she hasn't had a chance to post yet this round. I can skip ahead of her though.

Edit: Done. Posted on the assumption that armored hide is no match for bullets. I can change my post if that's a false assumption.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Glad to see you back, Arctic, and things appearing well on your end. smile.gif

It's final crunch time for me with the semester ending really soon. I should be able to make a post within the week to week and a half. If not, definitely by the 15th.

Hey all!!! I am alive, hoo things have been... things. Will definitely be making a reply no later than tomorrow night, so sorry for the vanishing. >m<

Yay for alive! Good to see you again, Limitless. smile.gif I had Levi nudge Red inside so I hope that's okay with you. If not, I can get rid of that bit.