Arctic

[OOC Thread] The World of Ash

The World of Ash

Click here to go to the in-character thread!

This thread is just for OOC discussion, plot suggestions, environmental suggestions - it was created after the original thread was set up.

On the grand timeline of the universe, all things will come to an end – from something as simple as a walk down the street to something as elegant as the flight of an asteroid to something as intense as the ultimate heat-death of the Universe. And so it happened, the age of civilization for the human race came to an end on a fateful day in December of 2123. How it came to pass, modern scholars may only speculate, but at the end of it many nations lay in ruins, cities of millions wiped out in an instant by the heat, the light and the shock of atomic weapons. This was, of course, the Last Nuclear War – technically the first as well, though that isn't quite so striking a name.

In the years immediately following, the remaining 0.7 percent of the human population (approximately one hundred fifty million individuals) were coaxed out to lay the foundation of a new society. In the wasteland, which lay under a constant mix of irradiated snow and ash, many cities were built, and many fell. Over many decades, a structure of what could be called a controlled crucible of chaos emerged. Towns of simple folk who wanted only to live, groups of raiders and bandits who wanted nothing more than to kill, vigilantes who wanted to protect (and often failed in doing so).

Years passed. Society developed, the human population eventually began to grow. The equator was practically the only place that lacked snow, and then only in the days of summer when the sun was high in the sky. Heat became a commodity, wood was traded like gold. Food became a luxury. Some groups made huge profit by setting up hydroponics farms, where simple things like tomatoes were grown with artificial light and filtered water. Such endeavors were expensive, but in the end, only settlements which had a connection to such people managed to thrive.

Almost exactly a century later in 2214, the Yellowstone supervolcano blew up. Now began the “Eternal Gray”, a mixture of old atomic smoke and new volcanic ash that blocked out the sun and made nearly any attempts at above ground farming destined for failure. Temperatures around the earth rarely reached above freezing. Again, humans had to struggle up the ladder, attempt to rebuild, always looking to the future and questioning the past. Not much has changed since then. Now, over a hundred years later, there still exists a frozen wasteland filled with undiscovered mystery, with danger and perhaps with hope. This is Earth, a World of Ash.

The two sections below (Setting and Rules) are required to be read.

Setting: The RP takes place in California around ~2324, though nobody knows what year it is for sure (mostly for lack of caring - doubtless, there are methods for obtaining such information). Many cities have been leveled, but megacities like Sacramento, San Francisco and Los Angeles and remain standing, albeit as abandoned, volatile concrete jungles. These are good places to scavenge, but to enter is to put your fate in the hands of luck, as death is an inevitability if one lingers too long. All corners of the Earth are covered with snow. While radiation isn't an incredible issue anymore, blizzards now ravage the surface. The cold and starvation are the most volatile risks and the biggest killers. Temperatures can dip as low as -40° Fahrenheit, and only rarely rise above freezing. We will start within the area around San Francisco.

Rules:

• Try not to introduce anything major without permission (for instance, being led through the snow by another player, then arbitrarily making a Raker attack). It's a form of powerplaying. I might implement a sort of 'GM' system, where anyone listed as such can make important things happen in the world.

• This RP is intended to be mature, but follow forum rules. Cursing is allowed, but censor it, and try to minimize it as best you can. Additionally, stray away from unnecessarily gruesome details unless it contributes to the roleplay.

• This RP is intended to be literate. Be as descriptive as you can (this helps minimize confusion), but I'm not going to chew you out if you opt to just write a few sentences, so long as they contribute sufficiently.

• Use common sense – always – unless it's in your character's nature not to.

• No metagaming (to take information which you should not know, or which you learned OOCly, and apply it in character).

• No powergaming (to manipulate your actions so that the other has no chance of retaliation, or to manipulate another's actions without consent).

• If you have any questions, ask me. I can be harsh sometimes, but at the end of the day, I just want people to have fun.

• You are allowed and encouraged to suggest things to add in to the RP. Private message me if you have such things.

• I retain the right to kill off characters, but I don't see me doing this much. This occurs mostly when straying away from the 'common sense' rule.

• No Mary Sues.

• All characters must be at least eighteen – you can get permission for younger if you really want.

• Multiple characters are allowed.

• Use proper grammar!

• I reserve the right to add, remove and change information and rules in this post. I'll notify people when I do.

• Please stay as active as you can.

• Have fun, and if you have any complaints, talk to me.

• Add the sentence 'In a land of ash, only misery may grow' in the 'Other' section of your application.

• The introductory post will include the specific setting – wait until I set it up in order to begin on your post.

Please private message your application to me.

[B]Username:[/B]  
[B]Full Name:[/B]  
[B]Age:[/B]  18 and up unless you get special permission.  Delete this text.
[B]Gender:[/B]  
[B]Occupation:[/B]  You're free to make your character whatever you like, but keep in mind that many occupations will restrict participation in RP, as many jobs are only found within settlements and it's doubtful you would have any reason to leave.  Leave this blank, delete it or just write N/A if you're a wanderer or scavenger or the like.  Delete this text.
[B]Description:[/B]  You may use a picture, but it is *STRONGLY* preferred that you describe your character in detail.  Please put in additional description if you use a picture.  Delete this text.
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]Skills:[/B]  
[B]Strengths:[/B]  
[B]Weaknesses:[/B]  
[B]Attire (Clothing):[/B]  This includes any armor, if applicable.  Delete this text.
[B]Armaments:[/B]  Melee weapons and firearms, for instance.  Keep in mind that any advanced weaponry (energy rifles of any flavor) would likely be buried deep away in abandoned bunkers or have ceased to work.  They exist, but they're rare.  If you have an idea for a weapon you want but you're unsure if it's acceptable, private message me, or just send the application and I'll tell you if it's okay.  Delete this text.
[B]Equipment:[/B]  Anything else that might have been missed.
[B]History:[/B]  If you'd like this to be hidden when I add it to the main post, request it.  Many people like having mysterious characters.  I need you for me, however, to include any information I need to know.  Delete this text.
[B]Other:[/B]  

Any feedback of any sort is appreciated. Suggestions involving content is especially appreciated, as I sort of want the roleplayers to have a say in what the world is like and how dangerous it really is.

Edited by Arctic

I guess that means all is well. Cool!! This is exciting~

Anyways, just gonna list out creature ideas I have thus far based on what actually lives in California.

North American Porcupine:

Definitely larger than what we know now, probably walk predominantly on two legs but when in danger, face the enemy on four until they flee. Quills are still not able to be shot, but if they are loose and the porcupine swings its tail they might go flying. These are covered even more with quills that are longer and thicker, causing more damage. The beasts probably have long front nails, but the belly is still the primary weak point. Getting to it, however, takes skill, because these porcupines have a tendency to hunker down and just let the foe prick itself to not being a danger rather than fight. Rakers would most likely be the main source of danger to the mutated porcupines, as their hard skin would make getting pricked unlikely.

That's what I've thought most about. Also wanna do something with vultures, grey foxes, badgers, and some of the water animals.

Also also, sharks. And, if you have any ideas or modifications on anything I write up here, please oh please oh please let me know~~ <3 <3

It is exciting~~

My character has not been put up yet, but I shall be jumping into the role-play soon and wreak havoc upon all who surveys. (not really) But I will come in with a bang to stir things up a bit. Got to say off hand I love the idea of this role-play, even though there are still some cloudy spots which I have not wrapped my brain around.

@Limitless~ Don't forget about mountain lions. xd.png I encountered one up in San Francisco once...scared me half to death in the middle of the night with it's piercing bloody murder yowl and sharpening it's claws on the wooden "safety" box only a few inches next to my tent next to my tent...while my camping buddy was unaffected and snoring the night away. I thought I was going to die and prayed to God for safety. A recent mountain lion killings were reported in that area...found this out only after my experience... O_O

It is exciting~~

My character has not been put up yet, but I shall be jumping into the role-play soon and wreak havoc upon all who surveys. (not really) But I will come in with a bang to stir things up a bit. Got to say off hand I love the idea of this role-play, even though there are still some cloudy spots which I have not wrapped my brain around.

@Limitless~ Don't forget about mountain lions. xd.png I encountered one up in San Francisco once...scared me half to death in the middle of the night with it's piercing bloody murder yowl and sharpening it's claws on the wooden "safety" box only a few inches next to my tent next to my tent...while my camping buddy was unaffected and snoring the night away. I thought I was going to die and prayed to God for safety. A recent mountain lion killings were reported in that area...found this out only after my experience... O_O

Oh, don't worry. I have mountain lions almost figured out.

Cool, an OOC thread. I'm kind of thinking of coming up with a sort of mutated bird. We've got ground creatures and possible sea beasts; why not air terrors?

I love the idea of a mutated bird. In my mind, birds would not be plentiful, what with the air pollution from the nukes harming the existing and future eggs, but those that had survived would be a sight to see~

I dunno, that's just my spin on it. ^^;

Also, other ideas:

Sharks: Basically, think chunky Leviathans. Sharks might have grown to be longer and larger, would definitely attack and consume any human who fell into their domain. Was thinking that perhaps they'd have another row of teeth, longer on the outside and progressively shorter - but just as sharp - further in.

Otters: Very territorial, claws and teeth would carry traces of bacteria and the like from the polluted water, making it risky to ward off an otter if in such a situation. Usually, they don't stray far from their domain, as they are just as hostile to trespassers of their own kind, probably same sort of habitat as they have now. If they can find an empty one, otters will steal another creature's den as fast as possible, and will fight the original owner if they return.

Beavers: Still do what they do, building dams and the like, same issue as with the claws and teeth of otters, but beavers wouldn't be as hostile as the otters unless attacked first, and their first tendency would be to flee rather than fight. Actually, I don't have many ideas for if their tails would be affected at all yet, so am open to suggestions.

Badgers: Even more bad-tempered and fierce than they are now, badgers would first try to scare off an attacker by bristling their fur to appear twice the size they really are, then would mercilessly attack with their long claws. Just walking near a badger set could probably earn a traveler an unwanted and unexpected conflict. They'd probably be relatively slow, so most creatures would just flee before a badger.

That's what I have, lemme know if you have any suggestions. Arctic, tell me if I need to change or completely scrap anything. I can handle it. ;)

So, I've been working on a complete rewrite (or restructuring, you could say) of the lore.

Creature Proposals: Lemme know what you guys think. Divided in to "biome". I've included updated renditions of the existing creatures. Note that the biome only indicates where they are mainly found - most of these (barring sea creatures) can be found almost anywhere.

• The Outland - also known as 'The Expanse'. This is the non-urban area outside of cities, where most wanderers and hunters operate and where most settlements are established. It's where “civilized” life is.
    • Wolf – wolves are amongst the most dangerous predators in the Outland, and also the most common. They hunt in packs, biding their time. When a lone, weary traveler disappears without a trace, it's often attributed to the wolves. They're almost an exact echo of the wolves of today, the only difference being that these wolves are almost exclusively white.
    • Rabbit – rabbits, almost always colored white, are very common. They're hunted quite frequently for their fur and meat.
    • Elk – light-colored, pale-furred elk. They're very common and amongst the most commonly hunted animals. Elk venison is the most common meat trafficked in the World of Ash.
    • Moose – moose are very large game and, if faced with a threat, tend to have the gusto to defend themselves. There's no shortage of reports of would-be game hunters being gored by angry moose.
    • Bear – grizzly bears, migrating south after the snow fell, normally keep to themselves. They're sought after for their fur, but taking one down is no easy task, particularly when good guns are a scarcity.
    • Mountain Lion – if the disappearance of a traveler isn't attributed to a wolf, it's going to be attributed to a mountain lion. They're intelligent, solitary hunters who prey on any form of smaller game. Sometimes, towns will go so far as to place bounties on certain lions, simply because they've been attacking or killing the local population.
    • Vulture – vultures, colored brown and gray, are the most easily recognizable bird. They circle above the dead and dying, whether an animal or a man. They're very much like modern day vultures.
    • Hawk – hawks (as a species) have grown in size somewhat since the nukes fell, to the point where they've become a danger to humans. It's not unheard of for reports to surface of a newborn being wrenched from her mother's arms, or a scavenger's dog being taken from him.
  • The Metro – a term that refers to the abandoned subway tunnels below San Francisco. Generally used in reference to all underground construction, including sewers and maintenance tunnels.
    • Lurkers – the term “lurker” refers to a human infected by the rabies-II virus. The virus itself was mutated by radiation and is perhaps the only successful mutant virus. While dogs and other animals can get infected (and in turn infect humans), humans are the only ones that don't die within a week of the onset of symptoms. After infection, an incubation period of one to two weeks passes before the virus begins to affect the central nerve system. Much like the pre-war rabies virus, it can be treated before then, but medication is rare and can only be synthesized by certain skilled doctors that are well equipped and have access to rare materials. Once the symptoms begin to show, the virus is virtually untreatable.

Lurkers are irritable creatures, and widely considered to no longer be human. There are reports of them talking and sometimes even conversing, but those same reports normally emphasize the unintelligibility of their speech, dismissing all of it as the ravings of madmen. Lurkers are violent and territorial. The only indication of their diseased state at a distance is their jittery, twitchy movements. They're often covered with blood, wear torn out clothing and have cuts and bruises all over them. The rabies-II virus takes control of the immune system to an extent, eliminating other diseases that may be a threat to the host.

Lurkers are common knowledge, and are normally found in isolated little alcoves in the Metro where they live their lives, though a great many still live above ground. Lurkers don't respond well to the cold, meaning they're rarely found outside, which makes exploring abandoned buildings a particularly dangerous activity. Many of them won't attack unless they view you as a threat or you encroach on their territory. They're fully capable of using melee weapons and some have learned how to operate firearms. If there's one solace to be had with lurkers, it's that they only bite when they're desperate.

• Rat – a simple rat that can be found in the Metro and abandoned buildings. Rarely found outside.
    • Dirrat – a corruption of 'dire rat'. These are very common in the Metro, but rare anywhere else. They're large, carnivorous rats with jagged teeth and lithe bodies. More often than not, their faces are marred with scar tissue and tumors from the fights and waste they get in to. They'll rarely attack explorers unless in large groups. They're about the size of an average housecat.
    • Mocasin – one of the only common snakes found anywhere in The World of Ash, and rarely found anywhere but underground. They're warm blooded and venomous, but they're not aggressive. They're territorial, and make their presence known through loud snarls created by a sack in their throat. While their venom isn't usually enough to kill a man (it will leave them bedridden for weeks), there's a good chance that the bite carries with it flesh-eating bacteria which causes acute necrosis. They're usually white and blind, which makes them fairly easy to spot in the gray & black environment of the Metro.
    • Spore Growth – certain areas of the Metro are highly toxic, and such areas usually have spore growths to blame. They emit clouds of toxic spores that can kill within a few minutes, though they only do that if you're lucky. Spore growths appear as bioluminescent blue and green plant growth that sticks to walls and hangs from ceilings. It's a mixture of moss and vines. They're poisonous to the touch, causing rashes and chemical burns, but their main harm is in breathing the spores they release.
    • Scrake – scrakes are souls who were unfortunate enough to wander in to spore clouds for more than a few moments without gas masks. More often than not, they're essentially walking cadavers, any semblance of life pulled out of them. While their heart still beats, their mind lies dead and dormant. They are, however, easily recognizable. They're very pale and very gaunt and normally bald. Their clothing, like a lurker's, is normally torn and shredded.

More disturbing, however, is the tumor-like growths that cover them. Black thorns break their skin all over, from their arms to their face. Some grow straight, some curl around, but all of them end sharply like spears. In close quarters fights, it's unlikely you'll walk way from a scrake without some serious injuries, if you walk away at all. Luckily, they can be killed like any other creature, though they won't be phased by pain. Scrakes are uncommon knowledge – while rumors might surface, there are doubts as to whether or not they actually exist. What photographs appear are usually very dark due to the environment they're taken in.

• The Bay – widely polluted due to fallout. It carries with it an unreasonable amount of radiation, though it isn't as much as a concern as the frigid temperatures or the creatures lurking within, both of which would kill you far more quickly.
    • Steelfin – Steelfins are small fish, and perhaps the most common one to be caught, cleaned and sold. They're soft and easy to handle. Best of all, they have an inherent resistance to the radiated water, meaning they can be eaten with minimal fuss. Unfortunately, they carry an unpleasant taste, and it's more often than not served salted. They're most likely descended from pacific cod.
    • Armorfish – Armorfish are large fish that have been so changed by radiation that it's nearly impossible to decipher a common ancestor. They're heavy, powerful and hard to catch, with sharp fins capable of severing lines. For this reason, their meat is a delicacy. Eating it in abundance carries with it a risk of radiation poisoning, but it has a pleasant taste and goes good with just about anything. They're called “armorfish” due to the almost crab-like chitin that surrounds their bodies, which protects them from even tyrant sharks in some cases.
    • Tyrant – tyrant sharks are grotesque, mutated creatures. They're brown-gray and have mottled skin with seemingly random spines growing on their carapace. They're roughly the size of a great white, though far more lean and thin, and quite fast. Their mouth contains rows of jagged, sharp, uneven teeth, each one differing in size compared to the others. The teeth bring to mind an array of disorganized knives. Tyrants claim more people than anyone claims to admit, sometimes going as far as to bash sheets of ice to cause people to fall in. They're not nice creatures.
    • Ray – a stingray. Oddly enough, aside from small fish and crabs, these are perhaps the least mutated animals. Some might have two whip-like tails instead of one, but that's become a genetic trait as opposed to an immediate product of radiation.
  • The Outskirts– the buildings and construction around the outside of San Francisco, as well as the various suburbs of the megacity.
    • Hound – near the edge of San Francisco, packs of wild dogs, marred and scarred by past battles, many bearing signs of mutation, roam the abandoned lots and collapsed buildings. They're vicious and hungry, and mean trouble for anyone who happens to be scavenging nearby. They'll sometimes be infected with the rabies-II virus.
    • Raker – rakers are curious beasts. Their mutation is extreme, yet it's “complete”. They're not grotesque. They resemble large, nimble lizards with an armored carapace covering their back and skull. They're reminiscent of alligators with a shortened jaw, longer tail and lengthened legs. They're quite good at climbing, which makes for bad news for anyone trying to seek shelter in tall buildings. They sometimes bury themselves in the snow to ambush prey. They're colored white and normally have striking blue eyes. They're about the same size as a komodo dragon – perhaps slightly smaller.
  • The City - referring to San Francisco in particular. Wildlife would vary city-to-city.
    • Since no reasonable amount of people have been inside, there'd be only myths. There are plenty of them, though. San Francisco is one of the most closed off cities there is, which is largely in part of post-nuke efforts to fortify and block off the city.
  • Wasteland – refers to any significantly radiated or dangerous area. Also referred to as 'wastes'. Los Angeles is an example of a wasteland. Creatures vary widely depending on location.
    • Radiation creatures and stuff go here~.
Suggestions encouraged. Edited by Arctic

I like, you write it out very well. I wish I knew how to make things bold and add bullet points on here, haha!

Just out of curiosity, what was your inspiration for the Scrakes?

For inspiration, I suppose you could say the ophiocordyceps was it. If I'm remembering correctly, there's a certain strain that causes bark-like fungus to sprout from all over the body.

Locations (San Francisco): I've been looking at a map of the area. Over a hundred years had passed since present day and when the nukes fell, so I have a little wiggle room with development, but I recommend looking at a map of San Francisco (click here) as you read this, otherwise you might get lost. Wasn't particularly planning things out enough, I suppose.

• San Jose
    • San Jose is the southernmost urban center and is almost a city in and of itself. Unfortunately, many buildings here are far more dilapidated due to infrastructure disrepair before the bombs hit. Much of it was comparable to some Detroit suburbs. When the nukes hit, it saw a lot of rioting and banditry. It's not a particularly good place to scavenge, but there's very little blocking travel through it.
  • Redwood City
    • Redwood City is a southern urban development of the San Francisco megalopolis. It saw heavy industrialization in the mid 2050's followed by intense urbanization. You'll find more factories and commercial districts the further towards the coast you go, while going towards the nature preserves to the west will lead you to increasingly lush suburbs until you reach snowy forests. This is a prime scavenging location and sees a lot of activity from bandits, traders and fortune seekers alike.
  • San Mateo
    • San Mateo is a well-developed city that's part of the San Francisco megalopolis. It's the northernmost urban center that sees extensive scavenging activities, as just to the north of it is 'The Wall'. Its suburbs were widely taken over by industrial crawl towards the end of the 21st century, leaving office buildings and industry being homogenous up until you reach the nature preserve to the west, where unfinished construction halted by the bombs can be found.
  • The Wall
    • The Wall is more of a mixture of collapsed buildings, debris, unfinished construction, clogged roadways, etc. Over time, however, it's been reinforced with metal, rock and wood by both bandits and people who wanted to fortify the city immediately after the bombs fell. Location wise, it starts just north of the San Francisco International Airport and move southwest through San Bruno, up Interstate 280, then west through Westborough and Westview to the coast. It's rarely passed, and those that get through find themselves in a maze of what once were the outskirts of San Francisco. Almost no one goes north in to the city itself out of fear of getting lost or fear of bandit presence.
  • San Francisco Nature Preserve
    • This expanse of land runs along the western coast near San Francisco and the smaller cities in encompasses. By the time the nukes fell, the megalopolis was already starting to assimilate this land and build on it, so where the forests meet the urban jungle, construction cranes, unfinished buildings and the like can be seen everywhere. It's generally just a wilderness, but the town of Winterbury (the closest town to The Wall that is not run by bandits) is located within it.
  • Winterbury
    • Located near where Pilarcitos Lake would be (drained in preparation for the city's expansion before the bombs), on top of a raised hill that's hugging a cliff. The easily defensible positions allows it to stave off bandit attacks and remain where it is. It's a decently sized town and has its own hydroponics farm used for the growing of crops. It borders a highway that runs down between San Andreas Lake and Lower Crystal Springs reservoir, which leads it straight in to San Mateo.
Rough draft. I'm also thinking the Blood Pack would have more luck having their base of operations on Treasure Island rather than Alcatraz, which means they would be more prevalent in Oakland. The bridge to San Francisco from Treasure Island would be collapsed. Any input? San Francisco is a really big city, so if you catch something that seems out of place, please tell me. Edited by Arctic

I think Treasure Island would be make more sense, since Alkatrez is so small and the Blood Pack is a larger base/organization. Oakland would give them a larger place to dwell. Good Idea. How would they get onto Oakland? As a suggestion: Blood Pack uses cargo ships that were repaired after the nukes. Map helps a whole lot for visual.

Geography looks okay to me.

~Rambling Brainstorm ((Group Brainstorm Anyone? <-----Is that okay Arctic? ))~ putting out thought questions

Is there a definite plot?=events, leading up to climax, goals? or individual plots to characters?

• As far as adventuring goes: The main setting of this roleplay is Winterbuty...so with that daid, everyone should stay in Winterbuty unless they want to be adventurous and travel the bandit invaded cities=group of people find ne land that is not invaded=new lifestyle=rebellion against bandits
Catalysts in Winterbury (Ideas)

• scandles
  • invasion of creatures
  • the authorities start to have too much control=cencorship //too many rules =broken rules=banned from city thrown into the frozen terrain
  • disease brakes out in the city cuasing people to survive/hide from the bandits *would bring characters all together=mini plots*
  • City finally falls to the bandits reign *ditto*

•••••To those who do not know how to do bullet points put ^^

[ LIST ] [ * ] subject for each bullet you want

*repeat

*repeat

*repeat [ / LIST ]

Edited by dani905

I think Treasure Island would be make more sense, since Alkatrez is so small and the Blood Pack is a larger base/organization.  Oakland would give them a larger place to dwell.  Good Idea.  How would they get onto Oakland?  As a suggestion: Blood Pack uses cargo ships that were repaired after the nukes. Map helps a whole lot for visual.

They'd get to Oakland via the bridge. Only the portion going to San Francisco is collapsed. They would also use boats to ferry passengers along the coast.

Is there a definite plot?=events, leading up to climax, goals? or individual plots to characters?

There's no definite plot yet. Currently, I'm brainstorming and setting up things for future developments. Individual plots to characters are encouraged.

The main setting of this rp is Winterbury...so with that said, everyone should stay in Winterbury unless they want to be adventurous and travel the bandit invaded cities/group of people find new land that is not invaded?  = new life = rebellion against bandits

Actually, Winterbury is simply a starting location. Currently, everyone's organizing to leave the city. The wasteland is an active area, and Winterbury is just one town of many. As for issues surfacing in the town, however, it's an interesting aspect that I hadn't thought about. One idea for an event I had was a Blood Pack raid on the town, but I never got around to finding a good way to do it.

Dani - Love your ideas, very good questions. It would be interesting, perhaps the group will return to Winterbury and some of these ideas could be put in effect? Twould be a neat idea, Arctic.

I had something else to say, completely lost it. Ugh, hate when that happens. Anybody wanna brainstorm critters?

They'd get to Oakland via the bridge. Only the portion going to San Francisco is collapsed. They would also use boats to ferry passengers along the coast.

AH missed that part about the bridge. FERRY is a lot better than cargo ships hands down.

Actually, Winterbury is simply a starting location. Currently, everyone's organizing to leave the city. The wasteland is an active area, and Winterbury is just one town of many. As for issues surfacing in the town, however, it's an interesting aspect that I hadn't thought about. One idea for an event I had was a Blood Pack raid on the town, but I never got around to finding a good way to do it.

did not realize *facepalm*

It would be interesting, perhaps the group will return to Winterbury and some of these ideas could be put in effect? Twould be a neat idea, Arctic.

Limitless ohmy.gif Fabulous (Doctor Who word) idea!! *_* I had not considered in the returning aspect. io;wajfods; SPAZZ What do you think about this Arctic? It's all in your hands now. >:D

creatures to spawn ideas

Bats ^•_•^

Cats

Dogs

Opossum

Cockroaches

Ladybug

Forgive me, my grammar is awful this time of night and hyperness tends to excel. x_X

Just thought that I'd post a few ideas I've been having for some Environmental areas. More specifically, I've been focussing in the Soith California area, since this seems to be our state of choise and all.

This is organized by locale with Flora and Fauna listed with them. I may add more to them or more areas altogether in the future.

Mojave Desert:

Once the hottest place in Southern California, the Mojave desert is now one of the coldest. It is just one, vast, nothing, though rumors have spread of settlements of nomads in the desert.The Mojave, despite not being a valuable spot for nuking, has been utterly saturated with radiation, with the highest concentration being at its lowest point. The local fauna have become perfect survivors in this new age, content with little food, water, or heat. 

Fauna

Diggers: A race of lizards that have grown larger due to radiation. Adults average at about 3 feet from end to end.  They are equipped with strong, steel-hard claws that allow them to effortlessly burrow underground. They are ambush predators, choosing to hide underground and strike prey when it draws close. While they by no means normally pose a threat to humans, in a pack they can be dangerous.

Tarantulas: Already native to the desert before the bombs fell, these large, hairy Arachnids are terrifying enough by their looks. Like most creatures, their size has grown considerably from radiation. Now with their bodies alone easily being the size of a human head, these large spiders can take down wild sheep, and their fangs can punch through thin metals. Their poison is extremely potent, and can kill in minutes in large enough doses.

Bighorn Sheep: relatively unchanged from their old-world counterparts. Bighorns do, however, now posses far thicker and luxurious wool, and it is prized by scavengers and merchants alike. They are frequently hunted, and as such are some-what rare.

Flora

Boom Cactus: After absorbing irradiated water, many species of cacti died out in the Mojave. However, those that survived adapted to the radiation, and have now become biological bombs. "Boom Cacti", as they are called, are large cacti resembling Saguaro. They are highly pressurized with irradiated water, and even the slightest touch can result in a violent explosion. This explosion is normally used to scatter their many seeds, ehich fly out at high speeds, acting like small bullets to nearby creatures. The water is, of course, highly toxic and shouldn't be drunk.

Death Valley:

The deepest, hottest part of the Mojave, the title "Death Valley" now fits like a glove. The area is so densely irradiated that it seeps from the ground, and has all but replaced natural water. The area is inhospitable to anything but the grotesquely mutated monstrosities that show no resemblance to their former species. The radiation is so thick that the area eminates a sort of artificial heating, warming the area to above freezing tempuratures. It would be a nice place, if it weren't for all the deadly radiation and shambling monstrosities.

Fauna

Things: No clever nickname or scientific classification can be given to these... Things. They are unidentifiable mutated  monstrosities that personify one big insult to nature itself. They resemble pitch-black, deformed masses with only two soulless, empty eyes, a mouth full of daggers, and thick, heavy bipedal statures. They have long, tentacle-like appendages that stretch haphazardly from their backs like underdeveloped arms. They simply move about, uninterested in anything. That is, until They spot prey. It has been rumored that those who look into Their eyes will be paralyzed with fear, unable to move as They slowly kill you. 

Or so they say.

Flora

Radweed: the only plant anyone has been able to identify in the Death Valley. Radweed is a new species of plant born from lifetime exposure to radiation. It is a fluorescent-green plant that practically glows with radiation. Radweed thrives in any area with high afiation, and it seems that the plan wuickly die without it. Radweed is completely toxic, right down to the not-water flowing through it. Radweed grows about as tall as old-world long-grasses, and is shaped like branches with small nodules on the ends of the branches.

Getting VERY enthusiastic with the whole Radiation thing here.happy.gif Of course, other, less hostile animals like rabbits and vultures live in the Mojave, but I am too lazy to include them.

Also, if it seems like I'm just copying Fallout New Vegas, I'm trying not to. The Mojave was just simply a different area that I could play around with.

And yes, I'll get to my IC post eventually. Im still wondering if I should wait for a point to jump in , or to just say "Screw it" and get it done.

Edited by Mdlier

Is anybody besides Arctic still alive...? It's been reeeaaaallllyyyy quiet around here, and while I understand that people are busy and am new to this, one would think that common courtesy would state that at least an update as to what was going on would be the thing to do...

It doesn't take /that/ long to reply, and Arctic has already said that it doesn't have to be stellar as long as it gets the job done... Sorry if I offend anybody, I just think it's a little silly.

Apologies. I've been distracted easily over the course of my Winter break and just started Spring term. I've been waiting for Packgoater as it's a bit ingrained by habit for me to wait for a post from each RPer. I'll get a post in sometime between tomorrow and Friday for sure though.

Apologies. I've been distracted easily over the course of my Winter break and just started Spring term. I've been waiting for Packgoater as it's a bit ingrained by habit for me to wait for a post from each RPer. I'll get a post in sometime between tomorrow and Friday for sure though.

I'd appreciate it. Treat Packgoater as if she's left the RP for now. She sent me a message and may be back sometime soon.

Just another reminder that we need people to post. There are a couple individuals waiting to snake their way in to the story. If you don't plan to post, make that clear, otherwise the RP is just kind of being held up.

I messaged Rakashua maybe a week and a half ago and she said she wasn't likely to be posting due to college classes being hectic with finals around the corner.

Ahh. Alright. LadyNatasha said she's too busy, but EmeraldMay expressed interest in coming back. I suppose I'll do a quick character wipe within the next week - take out everyone (well, at least mark as 'leave of absence') who I know isn't active or who hasn't contacted me about it.

Am really sorry for absence, will be posting tonight smile.gif (Bit too sleep deprived to type out anything halfway worthwhile)