Arctic

[OOC Thread] The World of Ash

*Reads Arctic's ic post*

Wait. Does this mean we'll never find out what the noise in the basement was?

But! But! unsure.gif Nooooooooo!

wink.gif

I'm all for a google doc. If you open it up to comments (not changes), we can give feedback.

The hard part is finding out exactly why Mexico would be a target anyone would want to nuke. My first thought was annexation into the United States followed by rapid development in the mid-late 2050's, but that doesn't make much sense without a major political climate shift that I can't really see happening in that amount of time.

The basement noise shall eternally remain a mystery. It shall be legend told from one generation to the next, a terror of the wasteland, an enigma.

'Til someone goes down there and kills it. Oh, well.

Good idea with the comments thing. smile.gif

Edited by Arctic

The hard part is finding out exactly why Mexico would be a target anyone would want to nuke.

What is Mexico wasn't the target?

Picture this scenario:

An enemy sends nuclear missiles to bomb the USA. The US activates its missile defense system (in our time that's basically sending one missile to hit another, but perhaps by the 2050's they have a more advance method like hacking the enemy missile's AI?). Unfortunately, the enemy missile is much heavier / better shielded / had a more advance AI (<-- choose what works in your setting) than anticipated and the counter-attack goes awry. Rather than 'safely' explode the nuke high in the air (or safely land it, if they're working with AIs by now), the enemy missiles are merely knocked off course. One nuke lands in the ocean off the USA coast (causing all sorts of radiation and maritime mutations), but the others land in Mexico. In no time at all, Mexico become a nuclear wasteland.

Looks like Limitless is currently busy (should be free soon), so feel free to post at your leisure. Hopefully, things will start picking up soon.

I've already got a few "chapters" of the new Codex done.

Edited by Arctic

I'm going to be busy this weekend and next so I'll see what I can get in by Wednesday before then.

EDIT: I won't be as busy this weekend as I initially thought. Have a post started but I'll need to finish it this afternoon when I'm home from classes.

Edited by Narvix

Aaw, I checked back on here after looking at it for a while (I was caught up in other RPs at the time, but I lost interest in them and left.) and it's closed sad.gif. Is that because you have too many people?

Not so much too many, but we're having trouble keeping it super-active. It's still alive, no doubt, but the last few people who were accepted in ended up not replying often enough. You're more than welcome to send an application to me regardless.

I'll be posting by this weekend. Got a fever and some major reading assignments to do for the week.

A question, in the Prewar era, did the polar icecaps melt from global warming, or did the world go nuclear or use some other non-fossil fuel? I would think so since we are bound to run out of coal before around the time of 2100. It's just a question with regards to a set of items my character has that would only really exist if we still had a frozen north/south pole before the war.

Global warming/climate change continued, but the ice caps never fully melted. Additionally, after a severe shortage of oil in the early-mid 21st century, nuclear and solar power was adopted throughout the first and second world for general use. Nuclear power generally came from thorium, which is clean and efficient.

I'm currently several entries in to a sort of info-book for the RP, which'll be posted on Google docs when I'm finished up. Not too long now.

I can get a post in within a few hours.

Mistress, if you don't mind, I'll have Levi interact with Alice. Or at least be the closest to her.

I can get a post in within a few hours.

Mistress, if you don't mind, I'll have Levi interact with Alice. Or at least be the closest to her.

Sure, go ahead smile.gif. Jasmine and Levi were last out the door before Alice, so having it be Levi is good.

Jasmine was second out after Jovah x3 Red was who went just before Levi and Alice.

But cool then :3 He's ready to lightly start poking for their names.

EDIT: |D Finally got my post made and put up. I think I might have repeated a few of Jasmine's thoughts from pages ago but I can't remember all that I've written before .-. I'm kind of doubting her worth to the thread given that she's not really a conflict type but.... Maybe she'll end up surprising me.

Edited by Narvix

Arctic, what are the methods to keep track of time in the world of ash? I assume there is no central calendar, nor are there seasons to mark the passage of time. Is the moon visible enough to count cycles?

Most people count the winters, as that's all that really matters. There aren't many individuals who have the luxury of counting the months, as most are too preoccupied with day to day survival. Much like in older times, the majority will give their age as so many winters rather than years. Given that agriculture is done in contained environments, the seasons have little impact on harvest (hunters would have more reason to keep track, though), and quite a few people don't even have much knowledge of the sun or moon (though to answer your question, the moon can be seen as a glow in the clouds some nights, normally when it's full or near full and the weather is fair).

Edited by Arctic

That being said, terms that measured years could be adapted to measure number of winters instead? If not, I'm okay with changing the words I used as I didn't think about the fact that years would be difficult to track.

Basically, yeah. Think of "winter" as another term for "year" in addition to the season. Most people wouldn't have a concept of months or weeks unless they had some form of basic education or need to track them (many do not). Days are easy to track, of course, but easy to lose count of. So years tend to be what matter most to people, and you count those by the number of winters that have passed (since spring, fall and summer would sometimes be too similar to accurately judge).

Okay, this is good to know.

Now, I know you're fine with us adding some elements to the RP alongside your guidance but, I just never know how much freedom I have. I also don't know what blueprints you have planned out for the surroundings and general events to come. I don't mind surprises and the like but, would it be okay to know what the general landscaping is like for certain areas? I don't want to accidentally draw out a flatland or forest when you wanted a city and vise versa.

Flipped a coin for Alice's headaches: heads, so nothing happened.

(I want to record when I flip a coin, so you can alert me if I go too long without or if I forget.)

Unnecessary bump post but I figured, since I've cleared the 24 hour time period since my last post, I'm okay to make this little reminder to Whispers since she mentioned it a long while ago:

It has been awhile since you last recorded flipping a coin x3

I was rereading the OOC thread and came to realize this heh.

Also, I reminded myself about that mutated bird idea I wanted to share...

No name yet, but:

It's not king of the skies like hawks or vultures. However, the creature is somewhere between their two differing sizes, wings are a bit short for its size but allows for decent travel through gliding more than for actual flight. Sharp ridges of bone faintly protrude along its back and stomach, allowing for protection from most ground predators as it does spend a lot of time either in the trees or on the ground. Unlike birds of prey we know today, its beak is not hooked but is lined with small, sharp teeth and curve backwards to secure whatever living meal its grabbed. Its tail is strict muscle and membrane, however, and provide the creature with the power it needs to get in the air. As the tail isn't intended for defense, offense, or the very basis for survival, its not respectfully protected from harm and simply layered with a small dusting of down-feathers.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Okay, I think that will be my last post IC until someone else makes there's |D Whispers, I've realized that I haven't really added Gorf into my recent posts so, if the attention ever comes up from Alice, Gorf's just walking beside Laviendor; though his ears would have perked up at the mention of his name.

You're also free to describe the carving as seen fit. It's just the storytellers (3 at most) interacting with a small number of children.

Edited by Narvix

That sounds like a creature that could easily be worked into the deeper echelons of the city - no use flying when you can glide across the wind from skyscraper to skyscraper. Plenty of rodents, birds and smaller animals to eat, too. Cool. I've been looking for creatures for that area.

Unnecessary bump post but I figured, since I've cleared the 24 hour time period since my last post, I'm okay to make this little reminder to Whispers since she mentioned it a long while ago:

It has been awhile since you last recorded flipping a coin x3.

I realized the same thing right after I logged off yesterday, but didn't feel like logging back on just for a coin toss. I did it now and the results are (1) tails, followed by (2) heads. Should be interesting ("making words gives me a headache?").

I'll make another ic post in a little while. Btw if someone wants to listen in on Alice and Laviendor, they're free too as far as I'm concerned. I don't think they're making any noise (Alice can barely raise her voice above a whisper), but it could be a good opportunity for other character to pitch in (or tell them to shut up xd.png).