boscodelta

Seeing other peoples offers on trades

Good Idea?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+1 from me, i am ALWAYS wondering what the offers are.. i mean, if you are going to offer a vamp against a gold, obviously you know you need to aim higher.

I'm always wondering how many others have offered before me as well. I'd like to see a number for how many offers are put up, I don't want to know what is being offered and by who. No point in having just an image of said offers, since you can not click on it to see the lineage. You won't be able to tell if its lineaged or CB. Please do not show what others are offering, just give me numbers. I frequently trade dragons for others of less worth, because I know I can get more of the same dragons later. I do not want the newbies who offer up their common dragons to be scared away when they see and uncommon/rare offered for my rare.

Do not support showing other trade offers, but I'll support showing the number of trade offers made on a given lot.

If I want to trade directly with someone, I don't feel the need for other traders to see what I'm doing. I'm with Socky on this one - I like private trading.

Plus, as improbable as it may seem, people could possibly create fake offers to boost the value of their trades by working with another player (or via multiscrolling).

That's actually a really lousy con. XD Either way, I don't want nosy people poking around in my trade offers. :P A lot of the times I choose not to post in the trades threads (ninjaaa!) and rather wait for someone to post looking for the things I'm offering. Having something like this in place means that's practically redundant.

Re anonymity/opt-in visibility: I think that all trade offers should be visible, or this feature is practically worthless. Regarding anonymity, I'd suggest the following: The name of the player who made the offer is not visible in the offer; however, you can find lineage links and/or page links. If someone wants to stay anonymous, all they have to do is change their account settings to "Do not display username on dragon page" or something like that. If you can't find the name of an egg's owner, (s)he's totally anonymous, no?

This would mean I can't trade and play Dragon Bingo at the same time. Some of the Forum Games require your name to be visible on your scroll.

I don't really need to see what other people are offering, though how many might be mildly interesting.

I think this would do more to discourage offers than anything and I really like to be able to decide for myself what I want for my eggs. Sometimes the offer I pick is not nearly the "best" offer, although it may be the best for my purposes. I would hate to have those people discouraged from offering on my trade because they think someone else has already offered something better.

Edited to add: And I am sorry, but I completely fail to see what good it would do anyone to simply know the number of other offers I have.

Edited by purplehaze

Absolutely not, paid OR free, for reasons Purplehaze already pointed out. Things that others think are "great offers" are things I might NOT think are great, and your "lesser" offer would be more likely to get accepted. But you won't make the lesser offer, because that other offer is so much better in your eyes.

Not only am I losing out on something I'd want, the other user is also losing out on the trade. So, no to this.

Really that's news to me.. I'm still s bit of a newbie though.

Question might be out of topic... what would you be able to get for a Gold or Silver ?

Re anonymity/opt-in visibility: I think that all trade offers should be visible, or this feature is practically worthless. Regarding anonymity, I'd suggest the following: The name of the player who made the offer is not visible in the offer; however, you can find lineage links and/or page links. If someone wants to stay anonymous, all they have to do is change their account settings to "Do not display username on dragon page" or something like that. If you can't find the name of an egg's owner, (s)he's totally anonymous, no?

One of the big things that was brought up is some people might try to kill off the competition, literally. That's why I brought up complete anonymity. No scroll name, that's obvious, but also no access to the egg's real code or the real lineage [the lineage link leads to a copy that contains generic images, no names, and no view page links]. It might mislead as to the rarity of some offers. A third gen thuwed can look like a normal common, for example, but that isn't going to cause anyone to not offer, so that's not really a problem. The person who created the trade in the first place can see everything correctly, and that's what matters.

It just seems a shame to me that people who make rare offers on trades would have to worry about their eggs being attacked. There are people vindictive enough to bomb a CB gold they missed, I imagine that people would be greedy enough to guarantee their offer is the best by bombing the competition if they can.

And if certain people feel that this would hurt the chances of them getting the "lesser" offer that they want, make the whole thing optional. If you disable viewing other offers on your trade someone offering either sees it as they currently do or they see the number of offers, no more.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Good point about view-bombing better offers. I really didn't think of that. sad.gif

I like this idea. That way you can know what's being offered.

I think that you should be able to see the rejected offers, too. So you know what NOT to offer.

Good point about view-bombing better offers. I really didn't think of that. sad.gif

Yes - that was my first thought....

But I'm OK with it as it stands. Not least because - well, I made an offer the other day; the owner PMd me later to say they WOULD have accepted it but someone made an insanely high offer and they'd have been mad to refuse. but because they knew who I was, they also asked if I'd like to work towards a trade when they could breed another just like the one I didn't get. Seeing that all happen wouldn't help anyone.... I'd offered exactly what was asked for and more, actually. But it was easy enough to see what was accepted by going to the original egg and following it through to where it went, then backtracking !

If nothing else it would be nice to see how many offers there are.

And any offers you see would have to be anonymous, just the eggs, nothing else.

This would be nice. Often, I've no clue what I should be offering and it would help people decide if it was worth their while to offer at all, potentially not tying up their eggs. Granted, it won't show IOUs or offers in PM, so it's a tiny bit limited in scope. BUt, still useful.

In my trade offers, I ask for specific items. This feature will keep people from offering on my trades when they see that there are already one or two offers on the trade that provide what I asked for. But there are several factors which make me decide which trade I take (sometimes I choose a scroll that doesn't have a CB of the egg I am offering, sometimes it is a cool code of their parent's dragon). I don't support a feature that will shorten the offers on my trades.

Second: Why should someone offer first when it's better to know what others offered beforehand? What if people will delay offering on trades until they know what they need to outdo others? This may slow down getting useful things in trades.

In my trade offers, I ask for specific items. This feature will keep people from offering on my trades when they see that there are already one or two offers on the trade that provide what I asked for. But there are several factors which make me decide which trade I take (sometimes I choose a scroll that doesn't have a CB of the egg I am offering, sometimes it is a cool code of their parent's dragon). I don't support a feature that will shorten the offers on my trades.

Why don't you just say 'even if you see other offers, please offer <3 I have various criteria on top of my wishlist' at the end of your trade?

Edit: I'd like this feature, by the way. biggrin.gif I'd probably occasionally add the above disclaimer, especially to League of Impatient Cave Cleaner posts, but on others, I imagine it'd really help. ^-^

Edited by pinkgothic

I don't like this idea either for the reasons that others have already stated better than I could.

Edited by rubyshoes

I was thinking about this yesterday and almost made a thread about it, but didn't.

My idea was that, instead of fully showing the other offers, if it would just show user posted image and a similar hatchling image per egg and hatchling in every offer.

I've had a trade offer up for over 24 hours now and if this suggestion (or a suggestion like it) was in place, I would've probably already declined my offer by now, depending on the amount and variety of other offers. I want to know if my offer even stands a chance or if I should move on and try for something else.. >.<

I think this would do more to discourage offers than anything and I really like to be able to decide for myself what I want for my eggs. Sometimes the offer I pick is not nearly the "best" offer, although it may be the best for my purposes. I would hate to have those people discouraged from offering on my trade because they think someone else has already offered something better.

This, so many times. Heck, just this week I posted a trade asking for any of 5 specific breeds. I received one offer with a matching hatchling, a different matching egg, and an unrelated hatchling. I also received an offer with only one matching hatchling, and three very common unrelated hatchlings. I wound up taking the second offer rather than the first because it turned out those three hatchlings were ones I could also still use, so all four helped me. The first offer, despite better matching my original request, only had two dragons I needed.

And I am sorry, but I completely fail to see what good it would do anyone to simply know the number of other offers I have.

I can't see how it would help any, either, unless perhaps a trade has no offers, and someone decides to try when they otherwise wouldn't.

However, I can very easily see how this would hurt trades. If someone hasn't had a chance to check the offers recently, and has gathered quite a pile, is the next person still going to offer, or are they going to find a different lower-number trade? What they would have offered may have been the best offer!

I guess in some respects it depends on who matters more, the person offering or the person receiving the offers. This suggestion might cause an offer that would have been accepted to not be made, but it also means that people making offers can do so more intelligently, and I suspect the missed opportunities would be less than the gained ones. After all, depending on how often the person taking offers uses the reject button if at all, the person making an offer could sit for ages with their eggs tied up in a trade that they would never be accepted for.

This suggestion would allow people making offers to choose the trade more intelligently, not using their offer [perhaps the only one for over a day with that egg if the person doesn't reject] on something they don't stand a chance on but is the preferable trade if it would be accepted, but choosing a different, less desirable trade that they stand a chance.

If it comes down to it you can PM the owner of the dragons in the trade. "Your two neglecteds has an offer of a CB gold. I have a cheese and a CB Thunder. I suspect you would prefer the gold, but if you don't let me know and I'll make an offer"

And the person making the trade could always say in the post something like "I don't always take the most 'valuable' offer, so don't be discouraged"

Edited by Pokemonfan13

And if certain people feel that this would hurt the chances of them getting the "lesser" offer that they want, make the whole thing optional. If you disable viewing other offers on your trade someone offering either sees it as they currently do or they see the number of offers, no more.

If this were made optional (without showing the number of offers, I'd rather they just see things the way they are now), I wouldn't have a problem with it.

What if, when posting some egg or hatchling up for sale, there was an option to show all the offers. From the person who's offering point of view, it would make it where you could see what other offers had been posted. This would have benefits such as allowing better competition between offers, and allow you to see if you've got the better deal. Anyone else want this?

I'd like to know if my offer doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell. I'd even like to see my competition sometimes.

But, I really really don't want to have to explain why I accepted one offer over another. Right now, I can accept any offer I want, and I don't have to worry about people PMing me asking why I accepted a messy hatchling instead of 4 CB ones or somesuch.

Gotta agree with rayden54 above - there's times when I'd like this feature and times when I wouldn't. I'm sometimes quirky about which offers I accept or don't, and while I don't mind explaining I know some people would!

I'd only support it if the trader could choose the option to show or hide offers with every teleport, much as we can set a teleport as a trade or a transfer. It'd be cool to have that option if the trader's only asking for a specific egg/hatchie, for instance, and then it'd be a simple matter of best offer.

I agree with rayden. I like to accept "bad" offers for my good one, if they person doesn't have that specific breed/lineage yet. I'm one of those members who like to fulfill the wishlists of others, so my accepting of the "worst" offer is my way of being generous to them. I don't want to have to explain that to the people who lost in the bidding war.

I have to say that I'm against this as well. Not only do I not want to explain my choices when picking a trade, I also don't want someone to not offer on an egg because they see a 'better' offer. Like many here, I take a wide variety of factors into account when deciding on which trade to accept and there's no need to discourage people from offering a 'lesser' trade that might end up being exactly what I want.

Then again, if this was an option made available to me when creating a trade, I don't think I would use but it would not necessarily harm me.