boscodelta

Seeing other peoples offers on trades

Good Idea?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright so this is my first suggestion, if you do not agree with me please try not to bite my head off

There is one suggestion to make this FREE so please keep that in mind

I really just wanted to hear other peoples thoughts on this,

So you know how you can make an offer on someones trade? But you can't see what OTHER people are offering? Maybe this could be another small feature people could pay for - It could be a paid thing or a free thing. I am not going to slap a price on this either because that is completely up to TJ.

If you think about it, it wouldn't really be THAT much of a change. It might give the slightest advantage to paying users (Again, if it is a free thing there wouldn't really be a disadvantage for anyone) but even than, that advantage isn't too big. It wouldn't really effect game play, and people that don't pay for this can offer on trades all the same.

Pros

-You can make your offer better, knowing what other people are offering.

Cons

-Slight disadvantage to non-paying users - If it is free, I am unable to see a disadvantage.

I can't really think of any other pros or cons, may just update it as people post.

Other Suggestions

If nothing else it would be nice to see how many offers there are.

And any offers you see would have to be anonymous, just the eggs, nothing else.

I'm kind of neutral on this--but if it's implemented, make it a feature for EVERYONE.

though perhaps the host (the one who opened the teleport) can have the option of allowing or disabling other users' anonymity when the teleport is seen by others? He/She will still be able to see who has offered what as usual.

I think it might make more sense that, instead of the person posting the trade being in charge of deciding if it's an open trade or not, individual offerers could decide whether they want their offers to be visible or not.
Edited by boscodelta

I agree, I'm actually going to edit that in.

But from the eggs, you could see view pages, which might lead you back to the person's scroll. Not sure it'd really be abused, though.

I'm kind of neutral on this--but if it's implemented, make it a feature for EVERYONE.

Well, I'm not quite sure if I like this or not. I do agree that it would be nice to see other offers, but I do not agree as it being a paid perk. Ad free is enough, but as you stated, it is a slight disadvantage. So I am neutral smile.gif

+1 from me, i am ALWAYS wondering what the offers are.. i mean, if you are going to offer a vamp against a gold, obviously you know you need to aim higher.

so +1!

however i don't agree to a paid perk, it would be unfair to the people who are literally unable to pay. like me.

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

No opinion on this. Seems fine with me, though perhaps the host (the one who opened the teleport) can have the option of allowing or disabling other users' anonymity when the teleport is seen by others? He/She will still be able to see who has offered what as usual.

I also think it would be better for everyone. Ideally anything you can get for paying should be neat, but inconsequential to playing the game.

No opinion on this. Seems fine with me, though perhaps the host (the one who opened the teleport) can have the option of allowing or disabling other users' anonymity when the teleport is seen by others? He/She will still be able to see who has offered what as usual.

This i agree with. I think the host should have the option to make it an 'open' trade

<.<

Ignore the spammer, just continue the conversation.  Remember that replying to spam can be considered spam as well.

I would've PM'd them but if they're that new I'm not sure they would've known how to get to it/respond ;____;

Anyway--two things:

1) As I mentioned--even if the other offers are anonymous, if the eggs have lineage links, people could find the user if their scroll name is shown. Unless the eggs DON'T have lineage links, but that... half defeats the purpose. Again, I'm not sure any foul play would result from people knowing the identities of other offerers, but I know some people would be worried about it. I think it might make more sense that, instead of the person posting the trade being in charge of deciding if it's an open trade or not, individual offerers could decide whether they want their offers to be visible or not.

2) This is kind of a semi-related idea, but: if a dragon is put up for trade, what if the trader has an option to make that trade link accessible to anyone looking at the dragon's view page? It would for the first time make trading something that's possible to do without leaving the actual DC site--even if it might be hard to find such trades, haha.

So, for example: I put up a 2nd gen Magma for trade. I enable trade link visibility. Anyone who stumbles across that egg (perhaps through a click site, or by tracing their way to my scroll via the lineage of an abandoned egg) would see a big "OFFER ON TRADE?" link at the top of the page, and could do so if they wished. Again, the trader would have to ENABLE this feature, so if people don't want random offers from people who don't know what they're looking for, they wouldn't have to deal with it.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

((i offered to mentor them via PM))

As for the lineage links, maybe it could just be a 'copy' of the egg offered, no lineage available for the person who is NOT the trade starter?

1) As I mentioned--even if the other offers are anonymous, if the eggs have lineage links, people could find the user if their scroll name is shown. Unless the eggs DON'T have lineage links, but that... half defeats the purpose. Again, I'm not sure any foul play would result from people knowing the identities of other offerers, but I know some people would be worried about it. I think it might make more sense that, instead of the person posting the trade being in charge of deciding if it's an open trade or not, individual offerers could decide whether they want their offers to be visible or not.

If people were really, really concerned about it, they can always hide their scroll. I can't really see it being abused either.

[e] Actually, if one of the suggestions above were implemented (The one about being able to turn on and off public viewing trades) than the user could either PM their offer or request that the trade be flipped to private.

As for the lineage links, maybe it could just be a 'copy' of the egg offered, no lineage available for the person who is NOT the trade starter?

As for this, if it were that much of a problem, maybe some like this could be implemented? But it just wouldn't show the codes or the names of the dragons in the lineage. /Dont know if thats actually programable or not.

Edited by boscodelta

I think it might make more sense that, instead of the person posting the trade being in charge of deciding if it's an open trade or not, individual offerers could decide whether they want their offers to be visible or not.

I agree with that. It offers privacy if others do not wish for others to see their trade. Also, although I do not see this happening, if it is like a rare trade, like a CB silver for a CB gold, meanies could try to view them to sickness/death.

ETA: When I said 'do not see this happening' I meant the over viewing part. I certainly see the suggestion happening smile.gif

Edited by sushi9

Would it be possible to make facsimiles of the lineage, where in form it is the same but there are no names or links to dragon pages?

If so, eggs would be images, no codes, those with a lineage with a copy that doesn't actually link to the parents.

that was kinda what i meant by a 'copy' but i couldn't figure how easy it would be to make these kinda...photocopied? lineages

Well, the site knows the sprite for each dragon in the lineage. I can't imagine it would be too hard to make an automatically generated copy with no names, no links, just generic sprites.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

that is true, i wonder what TJ has to say about this, he did just make quite a few changes to the overall site though

Would it be possible to make facsimiles of the lineage, where in form it is the same but there are no names or links to dragon pages?

If so, eggs would be images, no codes, those with a lineage with a copy that doesn't actually link to the parents.

This. It's too easy for a disgruntled trader to sneak the 'better' trade into a few hatcheries and kill the eggs if there are links, scroll names, etc. visible. Though if you think about it, in some browsers, hovering over the egg shows the code, so not sure this is a good idea, period. Have to reread through it and think on it more before I give it full support. But it's an interesting idea.

This. It's too easy for a disgruntled trader to sneak the 'better' trade into a few hatcheries and kill the eggs if there are links, scroll names, etc. visible. Though if you think about it, in some browsers, hovering over the egg shows the code, so not sure this is a good idea, period. Have to reread through it and think on it more before I give it full support. But it's an interesting idea.

If the other trades are made anonymous then not even the code of the egg would be used, the image would be generic, and the lineage link would be a temporary long code that is attached to that egg in that trade.

Personally, I can't imagine this being done at all without the other trades being anonymous in every sense, it would be too easy for people to try to kill off their competition otherwise.

Absolutely no to paying. No perks for paying.

Although I don't particularly want this suggestion anyway (I'm sorry, I like my trade being private). If we have to have it, please make it an option the host can choose.

I am not against a number saying how many other offers the user have been received.

My concern with this suggestion is that it may discourage people from offering. If I am looking to trade away a common dragon but I see there's already a gold or silver up on the offer, I may not even bother trying, even if the person would rather the common for whatever reason.

The other problem I have is that sometimes I will cancel an offer when someone offers something I actively do not want, even if it is the only trade. If someone knows that they were the only trade, they could decide to revenge view bomb me in some fashion (and yes, I do believe people are this petty and bitter). There is of course, nothing to stop them from doing that if I decline a trade now, but why give mean people another reason to be mean?

However, you have already worked around ways to counter these minor problems I have so as long as the offers themselves were anonymous and the person who sets the trade has the option of making it a 'blind' offer, then I have no real logical objections other than the childish "I don't like this".

Why should I see what other people offer in the first place? It's not really my busines.

My concern with this suggestion is that it may discourage people from offering. If I am looking to trade away a common dragon but I see there's already a gold or silver up on the offer, I may not even bother trying, even if the person would rather the common for whatever reason.

This, this and this. Besides, this would cause some sort of a negative behavior. I mean, an example. I see someone offering a metallic for a common and think "omg what an idiot would pay that much?!" or "how he/she can demand a metallic for a common?!". I don't want someone thinking like that of me as well lol. Too much hate spreading around~

Numbers showing how many offers there are - fine, I'm totally for it. But nothing more.

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I'd like to point out a few things and/or offer a few opinions.

First of all, I think seeing what other people offer is a nice feature. If I saw someone offer a CB gold for [insert cool dragon here] and I could only offer a 5th gen gold - I probably wouldn't make my offer, but try to get a different trade for my gold. This means that I don't have to wait for a day or two for the person who initiated the trade to make their choice, but can anticipate whether my offer stands a chance or not and (re)act accordingly. So, yes, +1 support.

Second, if this gets implemented, I can only veto the idea to make this a pay-in option. (I bet pretty much everybody else has vetoed that, too, so I won't elaborate.)

Re anonymity/opt-in visibility: I think that all trade offers should be visible, or this feature is practically worthless. Regarding anonymity, I'd suggest the following: The name of the player who made the offer is not visible in the offer; however, you can find lineage links and/or page links. If someone wants to stay anonymous, all they have to do is change their account settings to "Do not display username on dragon page" or something like that. If you can't find the name of an egg's owner, (s)he's totally anonymous, no?