pinkieseb

DC Vitual-Money

I like this idea better than the other one, Though I'm not sure if I would use it.

I "like" it better than the other one (as in it would be JUST liveable with !) and would certainly NOT use it wink.gif

Edited for I messed up my smiley xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I personally wouldn't mind having a Guardian Angel on my scroll year-round. ;_; I don't know if this is the way I'd like to earn it, but I have no better ideas for now so I'll roll with it.

Despite how much I'd really like for my magis to stay in their top hats, I really wouldn't want this. I find it to be too much like a pet site and I'm against any currency to be added to DC at all it would be a wasted feature if it's only for costumes. Using site currency to deck out your scroll or whatever really doesn't interest me. The one thing I like about DC is how unique the whole BSA system is. Everything is done by a dragon's action and not by little items we have to buy. If any scroll decorating is done, I'd rather it be done through a dragon's BSA and not by site money.

So, reading through the whole thread...

if this does pass, everyone on the game, gets about 5k in money( dragon coins), to start everything.

What for? You should have to earn your money. You don't get 5 grand in real life for just being you, do you?

Regarding dress-ups:

Dragon handler approaches dragon with costume. "I want you to put this on."

Dragon looks at handler. Seeing the ridiculous costume, its eyes widen in horror, and it sends a big flame to the costume the dragon handler holds out, burning a big, fat hole through it. "Next time, it will be you with the hole in you. Compris?"

Dragon handler slinks back into the shadows.

Some other suggestions for purchases:

- Shortened breeding/CD times (Anywhere from 3 hours to 1 day?)

Yeah, I'd love to be able to breed several times a day. What do I care about ratios, or if other people's breeding attempts will be affected? And, please, let me summon every day... /sarcasm Definitely not a good idea.

- Lottery tickets (for Christmas-esque egg contests)
Wouldn't that be just as much spontaneous egg creation as a shop, only that very few people will get lucky?

- A one use per purchase power to set a scroll message at the top of your scroll
No, just no. Sure, it would avoid spamming to some extent, but not if people got starting gold. (Imagine someone getting 500 gold to start with, and could send 50 messages with it. There's quite some SPAM-potential there.) Besides, charging gold for messaging seems very wrong to me.

if a basic thing for currency comes to dragon cave, it will eventually grow, so i am hoping that if this gets put in them game it will start of small and grow.
Yeah, the currency will grow - but to what?

What if BSAs could be enhanced for people who don't have gold trophy? Or the bonus on the BSA's could be progressively reduced as you move up from the bronze to the gold trophy? It could encourage people to keep actively playing the game and perhaps expand the existing player base - beneficial if TJ wants to make a living out of this game
Call me stupid, but I don't see it. Why should older players be penalized? Besides, the only BSA that need enhancing are Summon and Bite (and maybe Influence?). Everything else is exactly as it should be. (If you don't agree, please explain to me why a noob should have a better chance at summoning a GoN than a long-time player.)

I'm against the whole costume aspect of this.

Christmas is christmas. Halloween is halloween. Those costumes are special because you only get to see them on your dragons for a few days a year. Allowing people to buy them whenever they wanted ruins the 'specialness' for me. People would want those costumes because they're different, but after they've had the costumes a few months, will they be so special? Will the person be as happy to see them come next christmas?

This. No support from me. If I wanted costumes, I'd probably go to ChickenSmoothie.

I'm against the whole costume aspect of this.

Christmas is christmas. Halloween is halloween. Those costumes are special because you only get to see them on your dragons for a few days a year. Allowing people to buy them whenever they wanted ruins the 'specialness' for me. People would want those costumes because they're different, but after they've had the costumes a few months, will they be so special? Will the person be as happy to see them come next christmas?

This and nothing else could be a better argument to me. That and what Dolphinsong said.

Even if this were to pass, it would be bearable for me, but I don't think I'd be using it. As much as I loved the purples dressing up like GoNs, I would only want to see that during Halloween, because it's a Halloween costume. They are meant to be a special thing that happens once a year (I'm holding Christmas and Halloween separate right now, unless you want to put santa hats and witch costumes in the same category then, hey, that's okay with me) and I just think it would take the special out of "special Halloween/Christmas cheer and dress up".

Anyways, and Olympe made some pretty good points so yeah. That's my further opinion that's already been said but I agree.

I think an idea like this would be good, especially with the idea that it might coerce people into hatching eggs, but if it's going to be implemented, we need to think of something better to do with it than costumes. Costumes should stay as just that, costumes- not permanent sprites.

I'm more open to this than the 'use money to trade' idea in the other thread, but this would still make DC to 'pet-siteish', which I don't want.

That's despite the fact that the holiday recolors of certain breeds that are banned from my scroll (cause I really don't like the sprite) would make me want to have a few of them, even if the appearance could only be seen by me.

Edited by Slaskia

Personally, if money were to be implemented, I'd be more likely to buy frozen hatchlings of otherwise scroll-limited dragons than the holiday dress-ups; that way I could complete my scroll and still be able to have breeding adults to contribute to the gene pool.

However, I understand that limits are put in place for a reason and that this only benefits people who want one of every sprite, so I'm not expecting currency to be implemented or for it to be used for what I'd want.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to breed several times a day. What do I care about ratios, or if other people's breeding attempts will be affected? And, please, let me summon every day... /sarcasm Definitely not a good idea.

So, reading through your entire post...

Then perhaps I should reconsider my decision to breed my Holly for others at Christmas since it also contributes to the unbalancing of ratios - more people have one! Since I only gift for my selfish benefit. /smile

The math:

7 days = 168 hours

168-1= 167 hours

168-24=144 hours

Not to add insult your mathematical skills, but where did you conjure up the notion that you would be able to breed or even summon several times in a day?

Wouldn't that be just as much spontaneous egg creation as a shop, only that very few people will get lucky?

Then by your logic, the 2011 Christmas raffle was a spontaneous egg creating shop which only VERY few people got lucky. I am simply suggesting that virtual money would perhaps be a fairer way than giving out lottery tickets based on who logged in every day for twelve days. Because logging in takes only one click.

No, just no. Sure, it would avoid spamming to some extent, but not if people got starting gold. (Imagine someone getting 500 gold to start with, and could send 50 messages with it. There's quite some SPAM-potential there.) Besides, charging gold for messaging seems very wrong to me.

There is spam potential in allowing users to use the PM system on the forum. There is spam potential when using email, facebook, tumblr and twitter. I am not saying that it is an ideal system, but if someone was able to send unlimited messages; there would be a greater SPAM-potential. Furthermore, if the system was opt-in and had a white-list or blacklist as has been suggested, I am sure that this system would work.

In real life, we pay to send messages. For example, text messages cost money and if you want to mail you need to purchase a stamp.

Why should older players be penalized?

It's hardly likely that a newer player would find it easy to obtain MORE trio sets, a greater army of reds, pinks, purples and magis like an older player. But it's just a suggestion. I play the devil's advocate when I make suggestions like this, but I understand why you'd wouldn't want to make small concessions.

So, reading through your entire post...

Then perhaps I should reconsider my decision to breed my Holly for others at Christmas since it also contributes to the unbalancing of ratios - more people have one! Since I only gift for my selfish benefit. /smile

The math:

7 days = 168 hours

168-1= 167 hours

168-24=144 hours

Not to add insult your mathematical skills, but where did you conjure up the notion that you would be able to breed or even summon several times in a day?

- Shortened breeding/CD times (Anywhere from 3 hours to 1 day?)

I interpreted it in such a fashion that the cooldown times get shortened to 3 hours to 1 day. Maybe you should have worded your suggestion unambigiously?

Then by your logic, the 2011 Christmas raffle was a spontaneous egg creating shop which only VERY few people got lucky. I am simply suggesting that virtual money would perhaps be a fairer way than giving out lottery tickets based on who logged in every day for twelve days.  Because logging in takes only one click.
Wasn't it spontaneous egg creation? The eggs were created spontaneously, with no catching/breeding involved. (For the tree decorating contest in 2010, TJ refused a request for the offspring of two of his dragons as a prize. All prizes had to be CB.) They even ended up on their respective scrolls without any regard to egg/hatchling limits.

Also, wrong thread. This one is not about buying eggs at all.

There is spam potential in allowing users to use the PM system on the forum. There is spam potential when using email, facebook, tumblr and twitter. I am not saying that it is an ideal system, but if someone was able to send unlimited messages; there would be a greater SPAM-potential. Furthermore, if the system was opt-in and had a white-list or blacklist as has been suggested, I am sure that this system would work.
Yes, it would work. Even without currency.

In real life, we pay to send messages. For example, text messages cost money and if you want to mail you need to purchase a stamp.
That's why I use email. A lot.

It's hardly likely that a newer player would find it easy to obtain MORE trio sets, a greater army of reds, pinks, purples and magis like an older player. But it's just a suggestion. I play the devil's advocate when I make suggestions like this, but I understand why you'd wouldn't want to make small concessions.
Depends on connection and reflexes and trading ability. Creating an army of any BSA dragon takes time, no kidding. But do you think it's fair to give someone new a big advantage at summoning when some people have been trying faithfully for two years - and have nothing but a stupid badge to show for their efforts? Let them go to the effort of collecting trios like every other player had to do - with all the effort that entails. Older players didn't get all their trios at once, but worked towards them - and the benefit they get for summoning. Imagine, after more than two years, they finally get a benefit! That's so unfair to newer players!

I interpreted it in such a fashion that the cooldown times get shortened to 3 hours to 1 day. Maybe you should have worded your suggestion unambigiously?

Oh. No wonder tongue.gif I meant by.

Yes, it would work. Even without currency.

True. But any system is better than no system v.V

Summoning when some people have been trying faithfully for two years - and have nothing but a stupid badge to show for their efforts? Let them go to the effort of collecting trios like every other player had to do - with all the effort that entails. Older players didn't get all their trios at once, but worked towards them - and the benefit they get for summoning.

With something as random as summoning, increased chance/CD probably should probably be dropped, since those dragons are meant to be special <3 Other BSAs are more part of the core gameplay.

Edited by DarkEternity

Too true about the other BSAs. However, watching some newbies play, it seems that they don't quite grasp how important some BSAs can be - or they would at least try to get BSA dragons. I know someone who started playing DC rather recently, and among the amlost 40 dragons he has, there's exaxtly one BSA dragon: A pebble... biggrin.gif And he could have gotten them easily by just asking my daughter or me, we'd have gladly bred him pinks and reds and magis - even nice-lineaged ones. rolleyes.gif

Too true about the other BSAs. However, watching some newbies play, it seems that they don't quite grasp how important some BSAs can be - or they would at least try to get BSA dragons. I know someone who started playing DC rather recently, and among the amlost 40 dragons he has, there's exaxtly one BSA dragon: A pebble... biggrin.gif And he could have gotten them easily by just asking my daughter or me, we'd have gladly bred him pinks and reds and magis - even nice-lineaged ones. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, many of my friends on other sites don't seem to be aware of or use BSAs.

Recently, a friend in real life realised after three months that incubate existed... :'(

Even if this suggestion was implemented, I think 99% of newer players would be unaware that it exists.