Skellybones

Amber Eyes - Accepting

Golten tilted his head in amusement. "Pain, unfinished." He growled, before turning to Cherry, waiting for her to take her turn.

-------------------------------------

Merana began a steady job, a half-smiled at the sight of Raven disappearing through the trees. To be one of them would be... interesting... She bit her lip, hearing faint barking, and snarling from deeper inside.

Kaoru lay down and whimpered, what if the other wolf was right, what if she did need a pack?

She decided to go and hunt, that always cleared her head. She ran out of the cave at full pelt, faster than anything else, she hadn't gone far when she smelt blood, she ran to investigate. There was a pack, this must be the pack that the other wolf had told her about, something was wrong, the blood smelt strong here, it wasn't animal blood she realised, it was human. She watched from the outskirts worriedly pacing back and forth, had they killed someone?

———

Jack woke with a start, there was something below him, something growling.

((I hate do disagree, Shadowwolf, but it wouldn't exactly make sense if it were directed towards Raven, because as Soiledlove controls both of them, there likely would be conversation following it. Also, it makes more sense if it's directed at the wolves currently biting this girl. You know, asking them why they'd be hurting her?))

Doug could tell he had somehow said something wrong; the young nine- no seven, Lilith had said seven and he was sure that she cared more about the girl's age than Golten- year old had seemed to have something of an air of disdain about her, likely the result of how he had talked down to her. Obviously such actions would have to stop on his part, especially if he wanted to at least attempt to do what his alpha had asked of him. What had gotten into Golten? His alpha seemed to not be holding the same pull he did before, and if this went unchecked there could potentially be fighting within the pack itself, even to the extent of someone attempting to usurp Golten himself. He needed to be more careful, and that included respecting those in powerful positions around him, and not just Doug. In fact, it wasn't Goltens's disrespect towards him that shocked Doug, but rather his disrespect to Lilith. A wolf with such seniority should certainly have a good amount of respect both from the pack and from the alphas. In fact, Doug wondered why she wasn't an alpha herself.

Turning towards where he had left Iva, Doug was shocked to see that she was gone. He had been too busy in his own thoughts to notice that she left, and with horror he saw that she was running full-speed towards the alpha, who was busy attacking someone. That someone was not Doug's problem right now, however, it was Iva that worried him. Wasting no more time, he dropped the medical supplies he was carrying and tore after her, his much longer legs letting him go faster, and he reached the scene just after she did, skidding to a halt. Iva clearly had no idea how any of this worked, and he needed to stop her before anything to bad happened. He wasn't able to stop her from quickly asking why they were doing all of this, however, and he sighed, hoping his alpha wouldn't act harshly towards her. After all, what did he expect when he brought someone so young in the pack? Prudent questions would be asked, and if he so much laid a claw on her, Doug would make sure that his alpha didn't have any more claws left. After all, this was Golten's fault anyway. If he took a child's curiosity out on the child that he ordered to be brought into the pack, he would certainly pay the price.

"Iva! You cannot go running up to our alpha asking him questions like that. He's recruiting another, just like he did to you. She has no parents, no home, no family. I understand what you're going through, especially as a freshly turned, but you cannot speak to Golten that way. Besides, your role is as a healer, not as a fighter. You need to learn to keep a cool head. Come with me, Iva, and we can talk more about this. Not here. Not now," he sighed, shaking his head after briefly glancing at his alpha. The recruit was still young, even if she wasn't as young as Iva. It was so wrong what was being done. They couldn't let her walk the streets, but giving her this misery? Forcing her to forever be however old she was? Doug had been lucky, in a sense. He was older, older than most. But she? She, just like Iva, could be several hundred years old, but they would forever be stuck in these bodies. In a more hushed tone, he muttered,"Besides, I wanted to ask you about yourself. It just seems like most of these people just care about the numbers, not about the who. And I, personally, do not take much liking to the numbers, and I care more about the people. I guess that's why I'm a healer, and why they're the warriors and hunters."

Edited by Packgoater

((Yeah, just re-read it, edited my post. And yeah, a lot of these characters are betting fairly young... And the blame seems to be falling on Golten xd.png He attacks only those who trespass. Humans already know not to go in the forest, as they have been told before... But then, I suppose the wolves don't know this.))

((Oh, of course. I just think it'd kind of be more in-character for a doctor, one who lost his unborn child especially, to have some major issues in recruiting children. xd.png ))

Her other ear had flickered toward Anaya when the werewolf emerged from the shadows. She returned the greeting with a similar gesture of her tail, though it quickly return to its place held high and commanding as her noble nature surged through her body. When she felt Golten arrive, her tail lowered somewhat, though she shot him a dangerous look when he approached. She growled back at him, though whether it was in greeting or in reprimand was unclear.

When the girl they were targeting spoke, Lilith's attention swung back over to her and she studied the teenager with narrowed, sharp golden eyes. There was contempt in the girl's voice, challenging, and in piqued a sense of approval in Lilith's feral mind. However, since the Beta was one of the oldest in the pack by several hundred years, she was much more accustomed to controlling her murderous instincts than most. Her growling lessened to a soft, thoughtful rumble as she watched the girl.

From the corner of her eye, she caught Golten's look. Her eyes swiveled to the side to return it with a glare. The girl was still young, with an underdeveloped body and brain (though less so than the seven year old) that wouldn't be as beneficial to the pack as would an adult. Besides, what did the girl think of it? Obviously she had no idea that if she survived the whole ordeal that she'd become something just like them. She'd have no choice in the matter, and all because one werewolf wanted to sate his own desires.

Lilith huffed and swished her tail intensely. At this point it's either do or die, she said to him, though the disapproval showed plainly in the taut nature of her body language. She cast a gentle glance to the girl on the floor, who appeared ready to accept her fate. Her muscles tensed in reflex as Golten lunged forward and snapped his teeth into the girl's arm; she waited for Cherry to take her turn, and debated on whether or not she'd even join in on this one. Perhaps she would just kill the girl herself out of mercy, but she had a feeling their Alpha would be rather upset. It was a damned shame.

The golden beta shook her head and stepped away from the child. Part of her wished she could have taken the matter into her own hands; if the turn to werewolf had to have been done, Lilith certainly would have gone about it more kindly. Attacking them like savages definitely didn't seem like a smart way to get fresh werewolves to join their ranks. Either that or she'd have to kill the poor soul to spare her the torture of living as an immortal in teenager's body. Lilith motioned her head at Anaya to take her place in the attack if the werewolf so wished; the Beta moved around the spectacle to the spanse of trees that weren't lined in members of their pack to station herself and listen to the outside world instead. The scent of the girl's blood was thick in the air and Lilith found herself needing to breathe through her jaws in order to bypass the excitement that the scent instinctively incited in her; she turned her head away slightly, her nose to the wind, and an ear cocked and twisting around as she designated herself a sentry.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Kaoru growled in dissaproval at the wolves currently biting the girl, she crept out of the shadows, showing no threat. She valued only two things, her life and her weapon. she wanted to lose neither.

((anyone else watching children in need???))

Tony continued to stare up at Jack, his ears laid back in aggression. He had to come down sometime. Slowly he sat, his tail thumping the ground in anticipation. His tongue lolled out after a while, just because it was slightly hot out and he was thinking about food. He was a bit of a glutton. If that human made him wait much longer, he was going to climb up there and eat him from sheer hunger. And destroy the camera, he'd nearly forgotten about that. Golten needed to know there were photographers out here.

Jack looked down at Tony, he raised his hands in submission, he began climbing slowly down the tree, when he got to a low branch, he crouched

"what do you want from me?" he asked, his voice almost a growl.

((I luvs tinternet it loves mee tooooo!!!!))

Anaya's adrenalin started pumping ws the hunt began. She began pacing back and forth, whining softly. She wanted to have a go at the girl before she was either killed or they let her go. Her striking green eyes watched the girl intently. It was unlikely that she would come near the forest again if they turned her. Many didn't. However, she would have to deal with the humans if she refused to join them.

((The humans can't communicate with the wolves, can they?))

Tony merely watched, his lips drawing back slightly to reveal sharp canines. What did he want? He stared deliberately at him, then slowly moved his gaze to the camera and stared pointedly at that for a moment or two. Then he returned his hazel gaze to Jack, letting out a low growl to make his point. Give it up, or get eaten. He had important news to convey to Golten, and didn't have time to waste waiting on some silly human in a tree who felt like gawking.

Cherry leaped forwards and sunk her teeth into the girl's other arm, taking slightly longer than Golten, but pulled away more suddenly than he did. She licked her muzzle clean of the blood.

Iva growled and asked, "Why don't you help her!?" Her eyes glared at Doug and she tried to get past him.

Raven had now arrived to see the girl being attacked. He threw himself at Golten, letting out a furious growl.

More and more wolves came to Alexis. She saw a she-wolf coming towards her and biting her other arm. But that didn't hurt, no. She was surprised because of it. The bite lasted longer, but she was already numb. She saw another wolf attacking the first biter, before she fainted.

Golten snarled, snapping at the air. The wolf was on him, and he had to get it off. This... traitor wouldn't hesitate to kill him. He shook himself, trying to get the dog off him. "You are a traitor to your kind, dog." He snarled.

Jack realised that Tony was looking at his camera, he wrestled with himself for a minuite before dropping the camera.

—————

Kaoru barked once from the outskirts, it was a confused bark and she hoped that someone would tell her what was going on

Raven hung on, but Cherry reacted quickly, taking a leap at him. She didn't make Raven her target, she just leaped to try and clear Golten, but it worked. Raven leaped off to avoid Cherry and Cherry landed on the other side of Golten, swishing round to face Raven.

"Woof woof. Be more respectful to your elders, pup," he mocked, "You're lucky I didn't try to hurt you. Since you've already bitten this girl, then leave to let her get better in peace. She doesn't need more pain than she's already been through..." His voice was somewhat emotionless as he watched the other wolves.

Cherry gave a warning growl. "Go back to your human owners, dog," she growled, narrowing her eyes.

"I'm just as free as you are," Raven replied, the trace of a smile on his face.

Golten huffed. "That is what you think. The humans have tamed you. You have lost your edge. After all, you can't teach an old dog new tricks." He sighed. "Anyway, I told you, no less then a week ago, that you were not to return to my pack. Our way of recruiting may not be to everyone's liking, but at least we are still free, and at least trying to keep up our numbers."

Merana heard growling ahead. "Raven?" She called, fear edging her voice. He had found the pack, by the sounds of it, but could he fend them off?

"Unfortunately," Raven sighed, "Your pack brings back too many good memories... If being tame means I can stop causing others pain like you do, then I would rather be a dog. And you are right, I have lost my edge..." He faintly heard Merana call his name and flicked an ear in her direction. He relaxed his offensive stance though, standing slightly straighter. His gaze moved from Golten to Cherry, who growled aggressively, to the human girl, and then to Kaoru. Then he looked at Iva. "I think one of your pack members seriously hates your way of doing things," he said.

Golten shrugged. "She is new, it is to be expected of new recruits to be objective." His ears twitched in the direction of Merana's voice, and he growled. "And now, as well as objecting to us recruiting, you seem to be bringing humans into our territory? Do you want them to 'suffer' this fate?" He bared his teeth, watching Raven with dislike.

Merana walked forward carefully, careful not to step on any dry sticks. She could still hear the barks, growls and howls from the wolves ahead, and the thought of what they might have done to their victim sent shivers down her spine.

Doug sighed at Iva's question. Oh, how he wished he could stop all this, to make it all go away, but it was not so. It was yet another young girl. Ten or so years older than Iva, but that didn't make her even close to her physical or mental maturity. Iva and this girl were both children brought into a world of madness.

"Iva, believe me in that I wish I could stop something, but I came too late. Golten had already bitten her and once he did, well, that closes her destiny and she's forced to become a werewolf. There's nothing more that I can do. Even though you and I might not agree with this, especially since you and she are both just children, we cannot do anything. It has already happened, and the most that you and I can do is to try and help this poor girl as best we can. Which means taking the her away from all of this and heading up to my medical area," he replied softly, his head down. Under the scrutinizing eyes of a child, he felt somewhat responsible for all this. "Why don't you help her!?"

Noticing the dog challenging his alpha, Doug stepped somewhat beside and back from his alpha, as if to show his support. Obviously he wasn't in agreement with Golten on the whole children issue, but he had just come back and he felt the need to prove his loyalty. He wasn't a fighter, wasn't planning on fighting, but he was planning on letting Golten know that he was there beside him. The dog's comments were somewhat of truth, but that was no matter.

"Dog, you think that just because you're not in a pack, that makes you stop causing others pain? Let's just say this, the injuries I treat don't all result from hunting deer, believe it or not. If you have a problem with recruiting, then go tell the world that there's a group of people who live in the woods who turn into werewolves and bite people. What other option is there to getting rid of those who come into our territory? You know just as well as I do that we cannot just let them walk free," Doug snarled, and then as an after thought, turned to his alpha and apologized. "Sorry Golten. I just had to interject my opinion. I'm worried that the girl might have shock, so would it be alright if I moved her up to my area so I can get her looked at?"

Golten nodded towards the lead healer. "Certainly, I believe we have all made our point." He looked around at the wolves that were still around the girl. "Take her where you wish." He turned back to Raven. "Now, if you do not mind, I would prefer you to leave this forest, and, unless you wish this situation to resolve in violence, do so silently. Unless you wish to do something more, I think that we are done debating. The human you have brought here shall be spared, for now. And just take in mind what my lead healer has said. They have hurt us, and so we reserve the right to hurt them. At least we don't kill them. Most of the time."

Cherry looked at Golten and then at Raven. "You aren't welcome," she said stiffly. There was something about this other wolf that made her uncomfortable. Then to her great surprise, and annoyance, the dog laughed.

"Haha... Alright, alright. Now that the bloodshed is over, I guess I should leave. There's nothing more that I can do, after all. Plus, that human followed me here. I didn't chose to bring her along with me. In fact, she was the reason I came here at all. So then, see you and good luck in this war. I hope we all survive..." Raven said, turning to where Merana's voice had came from. He walked over and mentioned for her to follow him back out of the woods.

---

Iva watched carefully as Raven headed back. She sighed with relief that all this was over.

Merana raised an eyebrow as Raven walked through the trees in front of her. She noted that he had no visible injuries. She released the breath she had been holding and began to weave through the trees, a few meters away from the werewolf. She trailed behind him. He seemed to be leading her back out of the forest. But what happened there? Did he save the werewolves victim? But then, if he had saved them, he would have led them out of the forest, wouldn't he have? Her heart sank. Another innocent person lost to that... pack.

Tony leapt into the air and caught the camera in his teeth, landing on all fours. He gazed at the boy once more, growling harshly just to scare him before turning and stalking away. Golten needed to see this. If there were humans in the woods trying to take pictures of werewolves, it meant bad news for the pack. Luckily for Jack, he wasn't in a maiming mood. Otherwise he would've been yanked out of the tree. Pausing, he sniffed a few times and sought out the familiar scent of the alpha. It was hard to get around the human scent on the camera, but once he did he picked up the pace and galloped off in that direction.

Lilith had heard unfamiliar pawsteps racing through the trees and crouched, lips curled back in a snarl. The werewolf had leapt out of the trees near where Golten was standing, however, and Lilith swerved around the spectacle to place herself at the Alpha's right side. She snarled at Raven as the others had, but restrained herself from attacking him. After all, it seemed he and Golten had some sort of history already, so she listened with one ear perked and the other swiveling around in case there were other police dogs lying in wait.

Once the werewolf departed, Lilith stood straighter and growled shortly with annoyance. Now that the hunt seemed to appear over- for it was rather short and anti-climatic- she listened to the others for a while. She huffed at their lead healer and turned her ears toward him. I'll bring the girl, she said with a small flick of her tail. Soundlessly, the Beta knelt beside the fainted child and scooped her up in her furry arms, careful to keep her claws at a safe distant from her skin. No need to draw any more blood than necessary; from the wounds already inflicted on her by the alphas, the girl's blood seeped thickly onto Lilith's creamy-white fur.

She motioned her muzzle at Doug and stepped forward, prepared to carry the girl after the healer and back to where ever he needed to work.