Rosedamai

Plants and Gardening

I need some advice for a grape vine

we have a old grape vine in the backyard, it was neglected in the time between the old home owner dying and me buying the house

once we found it and worked out what it was, it was mostly just a stump with some leaves, it was doing great for the past year until a month back, now its leaves have all turned yellow and brown and are falling off, it looks very sick I don't know if its just giving up its leaves for the year or if something is wrong

I've never cared for a grape vine before so I've got no idea what to do

also its winter in Australia right now and a very rainy one so far

I'm not an expert on grapes, but was able to find a source that listed a couple possible culprits.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/yellowing-lea...vine-32390.html

Figuring out what's causing the leaves to yellow really depends on how they're yellowing.

Grape leaves that change colors seasonally tend to turn from green ->yellow->red

user posted image

Mildew

user posted image

Measels

user posted image

Pierce's Disease

user posted image

Leafhoppers

user posted image

Spider Mite

user posted image

Magnesium Deficient

user posted image

Potassium Deficient

user posted image

Edited by Daydreamer09

I'm not an expert on grapes, but was able to find a source that listed a couple possible culprits.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/yellowing-lea...vine-32390.html

Thanx for the link and pictures, it looks like it might be a bad case of mildew

I've sprayed it with some of the stuff I use for my roses, it covers blackspot (one of my roses has blackspot right now), mildew and some other things

so maybe that will help

Succulents!

They're super easy to take care and propagate.

I loooooove succulents.

I'm propagating some Ghosty graptopetalum and some California sunsets right now. I got a moonglow crassula too, but I got it at home depot and it had root rot when I got it so I had to behead it and replant it. It's not doing too great. sad.gif

Dug this thread up so I can gush about plants

Any active gardeners/houseplant-enthuastics here on DC now? At least I am!

I've been working on my urban jungle in our apartment for a while now. We only have two windows, one facing south-west and one north-east. The south-west, kitchen window is already bursting with plants, I even made a DIY-windowsill for it because our dinner table could not be used for eating anymore... So, here's what I currently have at home:

Bird-of-paradise

Pothos (Neon and Marble Queen)

Jade plant

Ponytailpalm

Yucca palm

Snake plant

Christmas cactus propagation

Mammillaria propagations

Epiphyllum crenatum (or similar) propagations

Stapelia propagation (in terra)

And some other smaller cacti in the terra

I'm also getting an allotment patch for the summer, so I have a few seedlings growing here. I just love working with plants, figuring out what they need and watching them grow! What about you guys?

I'm looking into planting/growing passionfruit vines and I'm trying to find out if I can grow 4 different types in the same area together, their base would be a bit apart from each other but their vines would all grow on the same thing

can I do this or would there be a problem with cross breeding and producing pig fruit

It took me a while to learn how to garden without killing everything with water, but I've definitely gotten much better.  I currently have one Tillandsia brachychaulos, one Primula vulgaris (Hethor var.), three 'Christmas cactus cuttings' (not sure if it's a Christmas or thanksgiving cactus since it's not mature yet), one Sansevieria cylindrica, a Haworthiopsis fasciata (given to me by a teacher. There were originally two, but I overwatered one and it died, sadly.  Luckily, I learned and caught the second one before I killed it), a Kleinia neriifolia which I purchased from Walmart, a money plant (which I'm very hesitant to plant outside since they can grow everywhere if you're not careful and I don't want to contribute to invasive species in my area), a rooting jade plant leaf, some rooting African violet leaves, and some beans, which I'm growing as part of an experiment for biology.  I also gave some 'sensitive plant' (Mimosa pudica) seeds to my teacher, which I've been keeping since grade two, when I got them from a book order.  I never had the chance to plant them before, so I was pretty excited to see them sprout, even after ten years of dormancy.  Currently, three of the five seeds have sprouted but there's still time for the other two seeds since people online say that they can take up to three months to sprout if you don't remove the seed coat.  

The saddest part about keeping all my plants is knowing that I'll probably have to leave for university without them.  If I go to my choice university, it will be overseas and  it's very difficult to bring them with me.  Not like I can't buy more plants overseas, but they won't be the plants I saved, the ones that other people gave me, the ones I grew from cuttings and the ones I used to learn how to properly take care of plants with.  I could give them to my parents, but my dad will probably just ignore them until they all die, my mom isn't going to use the proper water on my tillandsia, and they're probably also moving across the country, which would mean a stressful move for my plants, where they might not get good sunlight, become overheated in the car, be tossed around quite a bit, and possibly become broken or lost.  I don't want to give them up, knowing that others might not care for them the way I do.  I do already have a plan as to who I'm going to give what plant, but I would rather have them with me.  I mean, transatlantic travel with pots of plants is probably difficult for the plants and myself as well, so I really don't have any other choice anyways.  :(

Cacti are my thing. So durable they practically care for themselves.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, Sesshomaru said:

Cacti are my thing. So durable they practically care for themselves.

Ever looked into Sansevieria cylindrica?  I swear it turns into a plastic plant when I'm not looking because when I do look, it always seems to not require any care whatsoever.  (I purchased mines a month ago and I have yet to see it require water in any capacity or show signs of growth or change)

I don't actively garden but my family's house (not where I normally live anymore) has an orange, peach, pear and apple trees that we planted a few years ago and the peach and orange are finally starting to grow bigger from what they were when we bought them. Luckily the soil at the home where they are planted is as good as we can get for a rural place. Grow little trees, grow!

Lets see plants... I used to garden a lot, then I moved into a high rise.  Now that I am in a town house and LED's are the thing of the day, plants are one again mine.

I have a garden, which currently has peas and radish in (It still freezes at night so they are sheltered in a cold frame (of a sorts)) I have a pumpkin started under lights in the basement, as well as a bell pepper. I also have a ghost, Scorpian and reaper pepper growing from last year in the windows and as well as a multitude of cacti.

I am getting together materials to set up a hydroponics system in my basement and I am planning on growing:

Peppers, tomatoes (two types a cherry and a beefsteak type) And a cucucmber. (to start)

I want to expand to: lettuce (mesclun or boston) Everbearing strawberries and a few other things. I am planning on using a dutch bucket system and I have some 1 gallon feta buckets with lids I obtained from work. the media I intend to use will be pearlite and I have picked up some drip lines - I just need PVC and gaskets to complete the mix. I likely will use more red spectrum LED for that. I'll post back when I know for sure what is going on in that respect.

I love to garden. Last weekend I planted napa cabbage, different bell peppers, different tomatoes, 2 types of basils, catnip, catgrass, mint, parsley, eggplant, broccoli, lime, and lettuce.  I also planted a bunch of flowers.  This coming weekend I'll finish my flowers (million bells, calibrachoa, petunias, and sunpatiens, mostly), potato vines, and plant some daylilies.  My garden is in the ground, in pots, in hanging baskets, and on railing planters. :D

59 minutes ago, Leidarendi said:

I love to garden. Last weekend I planted napa cabbage, different bell peppers, different tomatoes, 2 types of basils, catnip, catgrass, mint, parsley, eggplant, broccoli, lime, and lettuce.  I also planted a bunch of flowers.  This coming weekend I'll finish my flowers (million bells, calibrachoa, petunias, and sunpatiens, mostly), potato vines, and plant some daylilies.  My garden is in the ground, in pots, in hanging baskets, and on railing planters. :D

i love planting flowers too! so many people appreciate the vegetables and other goodies they can get from gardening, but i've always appreciated a pretty sight and smell myself. not to mention helping the bees pollinate the rest of the garden or neighborhood :D

22 hours ago, Matmetchi said:

i love planting flowers too! so many people appreciate the vegetables and other goodies they can get from gardening, but i've always appreciated a pretty sight and smell myself. not to mention helping the bees pollinate the rest of the garden or neighborhood :D

I was actually thinking of getting into beginning beekeeping and would love to have a small hive!  Bees are so beautiful and so important.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:56 PM, Draconiusultamius said:

Ever looked into Sansevieria cylindrica?  I swear it turns into a plastic plant when I'm not looking because when I do look, it always seems to not require any care whatsoever.  (I purchased mines a month ago and I have yet to see it require water in any capacity or show signs of growth or change)

African spear plant? I vaguely recall having one a long time ago.

Every summer my dad plants a vegetable garden, so I always help him out with it. :) The best part about it is having home-grown tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and whatever else he decides to plant.

I like daylilies, myself.

Actually am trying to grow some from seeds I hybridized myself last summer. ;)

AND I have some seedlings in the garden that I planted last year that, with LUCK, will maybe bloom for me in a couple of months!

We have a community garden plot and have been experimenting with what veggies grow well in Central Florida. So far we've grown tomatoes, lettuce (romaine), sweet peas, shallots, cucumber, summer squash, peppers, and now we are working on corn, radishes, onions, bush beans, and more cucumbers and tomatoes.

At home I have an orchid collection on the lanai / front porch area... 15 -20 plants, most of which are doing well. I also have some pitcher plants and a few potted house plants outside (cats would eat them inside).. and the yard has caladiums, butterfly weed and native firebush and porterweed. We bought the property with lots of random plants/trees on it: snake plants are a weed here. Small orchard of citrus trees, avocado, mango, lychee, persimmon, even a mulberry tree. There's a grapevine (Niagara grapes... They grow in FL but don't produce well)... Overall the yard has more stuff than we know what to do with really!

Florida: where everything grows.

My pumpkin is flowering in my basement, as is my ghost pepper.

We used to have a community garden plot, that was until the church group took it upon themselves to harvest my crops, throw out my yellow beans and basically trash it.  I couldn't go back. I felt like a mother bird who's nest had been disturbed. Still to this day I get filled wiht rage when I go near there. I am glad I got my own garden plot in my own back yard.

We have a ton of different kinds of pants inside and some outside perrenials too. The list of pretty things other than trees to grow where we live is horrendously small for outdoor perrenials. So far we have like four color variations of some kind of iris, and two color variations of soem kind of lilly. XD I have been growing these things for years but I have no idea what kinds they actually are. I got my information from my grandmother who wasn't so much knowing the names of things as just planting them because they are pretty.

There are also the bunch of tree saplings we started for bonsai growing outside, though this winter and spring has been harsh so I feel that I may have lost some of the newer and younger trees. Mom also plants some crops every year trying to get these potted potatoes and tomatoes to grow but they never yield much.

Inside we have a ton of stuff of different kinds but I have no idea what their scientific names are and I actually really want to know. I think we have four different varieties or species of christmas cactus, two different varieties or species of spider plants, some african violets, an umbrella tree, two kinds of peace lillies, something from the canary islands but I have no idea what it is, some jade plants, both the white variety and the green of the pothos plants, I think they are elephant ears that we have too, some rosemary, sage, something with thick leaves that I have no idea what it is, lemon trees, a clementine sapling, apricot colored flower hibiscus trees, norfolk island pine bonsai's we've been working on for a while, wandering jew, moss being cultivated both indoors and outside, some kind of ficus tree, and then the little kind of ivy looking ficus, english ivy, and a few others I think I'm missing. Some of the plants I use in my bioactive reptile and amphibian set ups, others are just for bonsai, and lastly the rest which are just because they keep multiplying and I no longer have anyone to give the babies to. XD Anyone want some christmas cacti or spider plants?

My apartment looks like a jungle most of the time lol. I'de really appreciate the help and would provide pictures for anyone who wants to take a crack at identifying the things.

My mother made me against gardening way back when I was 10yo or so and said, I need you to clear that patch of ground for a vegatable garden.  It was about 20x20 feet and thick with crabgrass.  I spent hours working on that thing.  I've only had my own garden once and that was when it was already there when I moved into a rental home.  I just lightly cleaned it up and planted a variety of veggies...  Had a bumper of great tasting Tomatoes that when made into soup tasted something like corn soup...  Only garden I've ever done on my own and I'm 71 now...lol

Our community garden plot is doing some weird things:  The radishes are.... splitting? (You pull one up and it looks like it "grew too big for the skin" and split down the middle - some ended up looking heart-shaped. The center where it splits rots out though.)  I've never seen that before.

Also our little corn row (15-20 plants total, 2 rows) is already putting out pollen heads at the top.  But they're only about 2 feet tall?  Precocious puberty in corn? So Strange!

All our tomato plants have gone kaput. But they produced well for awhile, I think it was just their time. But the other plants... I don't know what's up with them.

We have an automatic sprinkler set up to water the garden mornings/evenings for 15 minutes each time. So it's definitely not lack of water.  And Florida so... no lack of sunlight. The soil is mostly sand - so I guess it could be lack of nutrients although we mixed in compost before planting.... perhaps not enough? *shrugs*

We have a vegetable/fruit (tomatoes are a fruit!) garden. We try to do it organically, so last year we hoe'd the thing frequently and kept pests off of our plants with...strange methods. One of the ways was literally spraying off the insects. It was actually quite effective!

The other thing we did was make our own pepper spray by boiling habaneros and a little bit of onion in a big stew pot (I would recommend jalapenos, habs are way too hot). We then put on gloves, goggles, and masks and then strained the pepper spray into spray bottles and sprayed the perimeter of the garden. We also sprayed the leaves of our tomatoes because we had a bunch of blister beetles. Spoiler alert, they did not like that and disappeared. xD Anyway it was a very painful ordeal, and we had to do it every few days or after it rained, but the squirrels and insects quit eating our tomatoes. Strangely it didn't work on wasps, so they were still around to fertilize everything. I think it wouldn't have been so painful if we used a less-hot pepper. Once we overboiled it and had to evacuate the house because we couldn't breathe without wanting to die.

THIS YEAR we have grass clippings as mulch so we don't have to hoe it, and we're going to use jalapenos instead of habaneros.

I'm gonna go start my garden patch progress today! I've had it for two summers now, but since it is basically just a field that the city tills with tractors every autumn and spring, I gotta work the soil every year. It's basically just clay, so gardening is a pain if I don't add lighter top soil to it. It's a shame I can start this late, since it's been super warm for the past month already, but fingers crossed it'll continue like this and not rain whole summer like last year (I lost all my potatoes due to that). Here's what I'm planning on planting:

Veggies:

Carrots, potatoes, peas, possibly beets and tomatoes/peppers if I can find seedlings somewhere (I totally neglected seed starting this year).

Herbs/greens:

Dill, parsley, basil, lettuce, mint

Flowers:

Cornflower, marigold, calendula, possibly some nice mix if I can find some at the store

I'm probably gonna buy 150-200 litres of soil and work it with the clay soil today. I don't know about the layout yet, but I'm thinking something like this:

palsta.jpg.57658257ca25b5cbbaa6c8f261b19e98.jpg

It's a 5m x 5m plot, which actually bigger than what I've worked with before. The peas will have a trellis so some of the herbs etc. can grow under it in shade (like the lettuce). It's a still bit of an open plan, I'll have to see what the store has. I'm excited!

I apparently have a chipmunk problem in my garden. the little sods keep digging up my everything.

stand by for recipes involving chipmunks.

Grilled Chip Kababs

Chips and Quails eggs.

Chip and crispy greens salad.

(just kidding)

Edited by Starscream