Rosedamai

Plants and Gardening

There are a lot of frangipani flowers where I'm on vacation, and they're one of my favorite kinds. smile.gif

I also like yellow roses, lavender, lilac, other roses, and lilies.

I'd love to start a garden, but my whole family is cursed with the opposite of a green thumb. dry.gif And I'd grow too lazy to do anything beyond watering. tongue.gif

I love plants, though. I learned how to recognize some edible (and a few poisonous) ones in my area at camp, and would love to learn more. smile.gif

@Amphitrite.the.Nereid Lol you stole your neighbour's water...haha

Well the guy next door is really bad at maintenance so it's like this silent mutual agreement to let it be. And since some of the branches do hang over the fence (not *in* their yard, but within reach from their side) they like to steal our lemons dry.gif My dad actually fashioned a device with a small blade, a pole and a plastic nesquik container to get them from our side, and at night we'll try to reclaim as many as we can. We always end up with more than we need but he tries to get them anyway because he doesn't like the idea of other people mooching off of the (literal) fruits of his labor.

@Hawktalon Those frangipani flowers look pretty smile.gif Do they also smell nice? I currently have 9 pots of roses at my house, 2 of which are yellow (well one's actually ivory with green at the edges) but one has (I think) mildew so I'm trying to make some baking soda spray. I used to have a "black" thumb too...

@Amphitrite.the.Nereid Lol in that case, I think taking his water is justified. biggrin.gif

@Hawktalon Those frangipani flowers look pretty smile.gif Do they also smell nice?

Yeah! They're not the most potent, but they do smell sweet! I love sweet smelling flowers. smile.gif

And I forgot to mention before, but my gardening friend said that if you put hair in a pot of red roses, it will turn them a pretty coral color. If anyone gets a haircut and wants to try that... ^^

And I forgot to mention before, but my gardening friend said that if you put hair in a pot of red roses, it will turn them a pretty coral color. If anyone gets a haircut and wants to try that... ^^

I just recently cut my hair, but I knew nothing about this sad.gif wish I had...

Yeah! They're not the most potent, but they do smell sweet! I love sweet smelling flowers. smile.gif

Hehehe, speaking of uses for hair...

We sprinkle hair trimmings around the base of outdoor hosta plants to keep the deer from eating them. Works like a charm! My mom actually asks the people at the hair salon for some of their sweepings, every time she goes to have her own hair cut.

There's a good way of keeping slugs down that doesn't require pesticides - beer! Don't ask me why, but if you put a bowl of beer in the garden it'll end up filled with dead slugs over night.

I absolutely love plants.

I moved out a few months ago into a student's housing, and the room there was so bare and cold and prison-like that my first reaction was to get 7 of my several pot plants from my room at home (there's still another 7 or so pot plants left, though) to my new room - and that made such a big difference smile.gif

I like to joke that I've got a green thumb and a brown thumb. I often forget to water my plants and I don't really know that much bout gardening and the specific needs of certain plants, and I lost quite a few of my plants over the years.

And yet for some reason I'm extremely good with reviving plants that are practically dead. Many of my plants I never bought but collected as stumps from compost heaps or grew from plant bits that people threw away.

@Kelkelen Hair seems to be a good fertilizer, I guess. *Will try it out next time*

@TikindiDragon Oh, I've heard that slugs get attracted to the yeast smell, so they come and go inside the beer, and then they drown.

@Bardess Like the kiss of death and then the kiss of life, hmm? wink.gif

Oh, and btw, I bought a new pot of rose today, and it's a bit....odd. Some of the leaves are black on the edges, some with black spots (but no yellow near it) and the leaves are all...twisted looking. Does anyone know what it is? Oh and some of them have turned yellow, and when I really gently tap them, they just come off. It's a lovely pot of rose, really, so I'm very concerned..

Edited by ylangylang

Oooh, a subject I can really dive into!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to garden. It's my favorite hobby, my therapy, my obsession.

We moved into this property about 5 years ago. It was mainly overgrown brush and woods, but we (I, mainly tongue.gif ) have slowly cleared out a lot of the "junk" and replaced it with nice things. Underneath all the yuck, there were some nice fruit trees and olddddd azalea bushes that were in need of a good pruning.

I'm especially fond of the old fruit trees/bushes. Unfortunately, lightning struck and killed my beloved nectarine tree two summers ago, and I've been hard pressed to find a replacement for it. I would've gladly sacrificed one of the apple or pecan trees to the lightning if it meant saving the nectarine!

I also have blackberries and muscadines. I do try to make jelly/jam during the summer but sometimes time restraints don't allow it. Or the birds beat me to the goods. mad.gif

Now, to what I've added since we've moved here!

I've added several vegetable/herb gardens. I started with a small patch that has now consumed a vast portion of my "frong" backyard. I divide the back property into seperate yards because it's quite large. The "front" backyard is the sunny area, where the bulk of the gardening is done. The "back" backyard is the wooded area, where I've primarily focused on rock gardening.

I grow just about everything in the vegetable/herb gardens. I try to preserve things, but again, time restraints limit me sometimes. This year I focused on some heirloom tomatoes and peppers I don't normally grow, aside from the standard stuff - corn, zucchini, okra, cucumbers, watermelon, cantelope, lettuce, broccoli, etc.

My passion however is my flowers. I am completely and totally obsessed with Zinnias! I grow all kinds. If I can find a new type of zinnia, I'm growing it! I love to garden for birds/hummingbirds/bees/butterflies, so the bulk of my flower gardening is designed with that in mind. Besides the zinnias, I have three perenial gardens and a container garden with annuals.

Yep, I'm addicted! I will try to find some photos from last year. Unfortunately my camera died in a tragic gatorade incident earlier in the spring, so I've been unable to photograph any of my gardening this year. sad.gif

ETA: I forgot to mention my indoor garden! Of course I have to have some indoor plants so I can garden year-round! I have a windowsill garden that takes up the picture window in the living room. In it, I have a 3 year old African Pine "tree" which is a succulent that will eventually be too large for the windowsill. I also have a Christmas Cactus, a Spring Cactus, a green Shamrock and a purple Shamrock, and some other plants I can't remember the names of right now.

I also have a miniature citrus tree collection - lemon, orange and lime. They live outside in the summer and move indoors in the winter.

Edited by danegrrrl

I really love plants and would love to have a garden, but alas the closest I will get is my grandmother's rose garden that she only pays half attention too.

My mother has actually started raising plants as a business. I get my love of plants from her!

The only plant I have personally is a lucky bamboo in a pretty fairy flowerpot that my mom sent me for Christmas. Maybe someday I can start selling plants like she does. smile.gif

My mum adores gardening; she's obsessed with the garden. When we first bought the house 2-3 years ago, the garden was literally just a load of grass. It's really pretty now--we have a bunch of rose arches with a swing underneath, lilies, poppies, dahlias & peony etc...I like the trees; we have 2 cherry trees, 2 apple trees, a plum tree and 2 pear trees.

My dad doesn't care about plants unless they're edible and sadly, I seemed to have inherited my dad's perspective. I did contribute to the cactus section of the garden/patio area but whenever my mum asks for help, I stay as far away from the garden as possible. -____-

@ylanglylang

The key to super-spicy peppers is withholding water when the fruits begin to form. Water can actually dilute the capsaicin. After flowers appear, only water when the top of the soil is bone dry. And yes, I did get to work with plants all day, every day. biggrin.gif Everything from identifying wildflowers and trees out in the woods, to studying tree slices under microscopy, to learning the anatomy and physiology that makes a plant a plant. I loved every second of it. If only I could actually get a job in it. :/

@dch75 I dunno, I think it'll die too...you need to actually change the water and stuff, when you're growing a water based plant. Otherwise it rots. It also evaporates, so...I don't see how that would work.

@danegrrrl Glad to find another person who's passionate about plants <3 *Squee* I am simply overwhelmed and jealous of all the different plants you have, and your indoor and outdoor gardens. I love butterflies and hummingbirds too, but unfortunately there are no hummingbirds where I live, and I don't have a garden. Please, tell me more! <3 *Shiny eyed* And may I ask for pictures?

@TwilitProphet Oh, that's actually interesting, because the green thumb in my family is my grandmother. My mom sorta does things half-heartedly, so we've an opposite situation here! And lucky bamboo are so pretty, aren't they?

@glass_kisses Lol my dad's like that too (and so's my brother!). My mom's a bit like that as well. But yeah, plants that create food are awesome too!

@Linaeth Gotcha. wink.gif *Thinks of an evil plot involving cayenne peppers and dad*. I feel sorry that you can't find a job in the field that you really love. I hope you find one soon. *hug*

Gah, I'm so excited! We're moving, and we're going to have a garden.

*Dream of garden-ish things and runs away, dancing...*

@3rdtimelucky Lucky you! Congrats on getting a garden. I hope you fill it with lovely things <3

@PollyCockatrice Oh really? They produce dragon fruit? I never knew...

Yep.

Also, sometimes you can find them with a purple or green graft. Those have their own chlorophyll, so you can cut them off and let them grow roots, and then you have two separate plants. I had a purple one, but I was stupid and left the cut end down on a paper towel and it rotted. D:

Yep.

Also, sometimes you can find them with a purple or green graft. Those have their own chlorophyll, so you can cut them off and let them grow roots, and then you have two separate plants. I had a purple one, but I was stupid and left the cut end down on a paper towel and it rotted. D:

@PollyCockatrice ...I suddenly want to grow cactii now xd.png Wow, I never really thought that'd happen biggrin.gif

xd.png Cacti are pretty awesome when you start learning about them. Kind of aggravating when they don't grow at all for a long time and you can't figure out whether or not they're actually dying, though. I've currently got a few that have been rootless for over a year, and my Thanksgiving cactus, I don't even know why it hasn't done anything lately.

My two rosemary plants, on the other hand... I finally got around to repotting them fairly recently, and one of them died like right away, and the other's probably also dead by now. Probably should've watered them more. That's one thing I like about cacti; they are the "I'll get around to it later" plants when it comes to water. Lucky bamboo's not too bad about that either, and is also pretty much the only non-cactus plant I actually know stuff about.

first off i thank the person that made this thread! awesome dude.dudette! secondly i love gardening and growing my own foods. smile.gif i have a garden in the backyard right now with sugar snap peas, yellow crookneck summer squash, black beauty zucchini, pineapple and genevese costoluto tomatoes, and clemson spineless okra ^^ YAY and i have a peach tree and two sand plum trees and two lilac trees in the yard as well as grape vines, blackberry vines, and rose bushes smile.gif i used to have blueberries but last years mega heat wave took them out sad.gif so i gotta get some more. but i definitely love gardening. oh also have purple irises and used to have gladiolus too. they didnt survive the winter... i dont think i planted the bulbs deep enough.

We had a garden at our old home. My husband grew roses and I had several gardenia bushes. I became sunsensitive when the family moved to SC so my gardening days ended. I did have pots of morning glories and Moon flowers. They were lovely.

As a child I helped mom with her gardens. Flowers and vegetables and roses.

Sadly no one in my family has a green thumb, including me! We have lots of nice rosebushes out the front, but those were planted by whoever moved here first and mostly we just try to keep them alive. Our fruit trees were (unknowingly) planted in the absolute worst place so they've barely done anything, while our veggie garden is more a weed garden! Lots of thyme growing in it though, and the potatoes just never seem to get dug up. Our peas seem to be growing well as well (and avoiding the support we put up for them! >:( )

I have a few succulents in my room though. Pretty plain, but they brighten up the room and I can forget about them a lot!

Do you guys know of any good sites for beginner gardeners? I'd love to have more of a clue of what I'm doing!

I started a garden a year and a half ago, and tended it faithfully for the first month and a half. But the plants kept having problems, and I couldn't seem to fix them, so I got discouraged and stopped.

...I checked back a month later and almost every plant was doing 1000x better than when I had actually been tending them.

It was pretty discouraging, honestly.

I've got lots of Daffodil and Jonquil Blubs (my mum loves Jonquils) and I was looking around for some plants that make for good groundcover with blubs, a number of people recommended Freesias, I looked them up and they look alright

I started looking into getting some and how to care for them, and I noticed some people refer to Freesia Seeds and others to Freesia Blubs

so are Freesias a Blub Plant or a Seed Plant (I do better with Blubs than Seeds)