Rosedamai

Plants and Gardening

So, I recently got hospitalized, and when I was discharged, I impulsively bought 6 pots of miniature roses, 3 of them pale pink and 3 of them sort of a salmon-pinkish color. I love them to bits, and has become almost obsessed with roses.

Do you have any plants? Are you interested in gardening? Do you have problems with your pot of (insert plant name here)?

Share your stories, ask questions, post pictures, and enjoy!

Weeded out the flower patch today, tied up most of the tomatoes but then the mosquitoes came out, so I didn't get to weed out the tomatoes.

back in 5th grade i got a pot of ferns from my teacher who would grow them. I raised them all the fall and when it came time for Winter i asked what to do and she said trim the tops off. I didn't realized she mean the dead ones and cut off all the tops, leading to one dead fern

My grandma adores gardening, and I love her garden, but it doesn't seem to run in my blood. However, my mom and I have managed to keep the raspberry bushes we planted a year ago living (thriving, actually) and they've produced a nice bounty this summer, so I'm sufficiently proud of that.

I used to have a beautiful rockery at the old flat. Loads of alpines. I'm now in the process of slowly making my new garden into a lovely rockery again.

@RheaZen You have a flower patch? *jealous*

@dragons_scorn I need to trim my pwetty roses soon, so I'm a bit nervous. It's my first time pruning anything.

@Astarlite Congratulations on the raspberry bush! smile.gif It must have been delicious.

@TikindiDragon That would be lovely. May I request some photos?

@TikindiDragon That would be lovely. May I request some photos?

Once it's done, sure. Unless you want progress pics? It took me a good few years to get my last one looking the way I wanted it.

Once it's done, sure. Unless you want progress pics? It took me a good few years to get my last one looking the way I wanted it.

You can post them whenever you want biggrin.gif *dances at the thought of pwetty gardens* wub.gif

I have a succulent collection. They stay on the back porch most of the year.

My family also owns a hobby farm(meaning that we have it for fun, not to live off of), and we grow lots of vegetables out there. The current crop we are getting a lot of is tomatoes.

Like, Nectaris, I too have a Succulent Collection. I never could raise real plants in my room, I always forget to water them. So, I started collecting Succulents. I have lost quite a few over the years (the months where it's too cold to leave them outside does murder on their health, even if they get direct sunlight in a windowsill) but I do still own quite a few. Although, with the exception of one, I never could get them to flower. The closest i'd get is a long stalk with a flower bud at the end and then the stalk would just die before anything happened.

They're not the prettiest of plants, but they are very interesting. I have several kinds, including one that produces this fuzzy purple flower that smells like rotting meat to attract flies to it for pollination. The flowers are really cool since they mold to whatever it's around and they come out of these really cool giant Pod things. Really alien looking, this plant.

user posted image

I have a lot of other succulents, although I can't find images for them, for some reason.

I also own a Moon Cactus, which in itself is a really neat and colorful plant. I bought it as an orange cactus, but it's changed itself to a bright pink color. It's pretty either way.

user posted image

I also have a Flowering Bonzai tree. It's really, really neat. I got it this year from Walmart. Apparently, from what i've read on the internet, it's a really rare kind. It produces these pretty white flowers year round. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what i'm doing with it. I'm not sure if it's doing good or not. Although it keeps losing leaves, more pop up in their place. I really don't want to kill it because it's a beautiful plant that obviously took quite a few years to grow properly.

I strated gardening a while back. It all started when I went to walmart and saw this sickly strawberry for a dollar. I felt sorry for it and bought it and lo and behold its growing strong. Ive gother other fruit bushs after that black berry, blue berry, and a few raspberrys. Hope they do just as well.

Personally, I have a Touch of Death rather than a green thumb, but in my backyard we have a monstrous lemon tree O__O Usually every year we have to reserve half our kitchen for the sheer amount of lemons it produces- this year a large portion of its branches came off in a storm so we only got a couple, though :/

We also have a little pomegranate that doesn't produce any fruit at all dry.gif and anything that does start to grow gets decimated by birds.

@Nectaris Ooh, tomatoes! Yum smile.gif What other things does your uncle grow?

@MysticTiger They're pretty biggrin.gif I used to have a group of small cacti too, before I accidentally killed them sad.gif And that flower's interesting, it works like the rafflesia plant. I do enjoy the different mechanisms flowers use for pollination. And I hope the Bonzi plant is just fine smile.gif I also have an unidentified plant (some sort of orchid that my deceased grandmother on my dad's side gave us) that's been sorta "neglected" but it's been living for about 20 years.

@dch75 Berries! They'd never survive in our house tongue.gif our family would strip their fruits and eat them asap.

@Amphitrite.the.Nereid Haha, I used to have a touch of death too. So many people with fruit plants growing in their yards! *Envy*

Edited by ylangylang

@Nectaris Ooh, tomatoes! Yum smile.gif What other things does your uncle grow?

It's my parents actually.

Anyways, we are also growing yellow squash, zuccini, cucumbers, okra, butter beans, sweet potatoes, and peas. Earlier in the year, we also had some potatoes, which we have already harvested. In the winter, we grow broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, and several kinds of greens and lettuce. We also have some fruit trees, but they are still too young to produce much, but some are getting there.

It's my parents actually.

Anyways, we are also growing yellow squash, zuccini, cucumbers, okra, butter beans, sweet potatoes, and peas. Earlier in the year, we also had some potatoes, which we have already harvested. In the winter, we grow broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage, and several kinds of greens and lettuce. We also have some fruit trees, but they are still too young to produce much, but some are getting there.

Oops, sorry, my sleepy brain somehow equated family with uncle *bashful*

They all look delicious. My mom would love a vegetable patch of her own, and she'd be insanely jealous of your hobby farm. It'd be so lovely to enjoy veggies that you've grown by yourself.

@ylangylang you have no idea lol. And these are the thornless kind. The sec they produce berries I'm hording every last one lol. Freaking love berries xd.png

@ylangylang you have no idea lol. And these are the thornless kind. The sec they produce berries I'm hording every last one lol. Freaking love berries xd.png

Me too. *Imagines a dragon contently purring over a hoard of berries*

Interesting thing about that moon cactus. It's actually two different cacti grafted together. The bottom one may grow a new branch, which would kill the brightly-colored cactus because the energy needed to keep it alive would instead be concentrated on growing the new branch, but if you can keep the bottom cactus alive and growing, it just might reward you with... dragon fruit.

@ylang - Yep. We actually have a lot of growing area outside, but I'm too lazy to maintain much by myself.

@Amphitrite.the.Nereid Haha, I used to have a touch of death too. So many people with fruit plants growing in their yards! *Envy*

My dad is the one who's responsible for my backyard monstrosity haha smile.gif We did get some help from a sprinkler leak from our next door neighbor too >__>

We just moved, so the flower bed I've had going for four or five years is no longer mine. :( New house has a tiny yard and is already landscaped with low-maintenance stuff like monkey grass so there's not really anywhere to do much gardening. Just as well because I'll be going back to school in a month or so.

I do have a staghorn fern and some sort of pitcher plant hybrid though. <3 They make the dorm look slightly less like a mental institution.

Edited by JOTB

Hey can we also talk about planted aquariums here as well? I got some Marino balls that are looking kinda scruffy at the moment and need some advice.

@PollyCockatrice Oh really? They produce dragon fruit? I never knew...

@RheaZen *Envy envy envy*

@Amphitrite.the.Nereid Lol you stole your neighbour's water...haha

@JOTB Yeah, flowers and plants really brighten up an otherwise dingy room <3 Too bad for the flower bed sad.gif

@dch75 As long as they're plants, I'm fine with them biggrin.gif

Wheee, I love plants! biggrin.gif I now live in an apartment, so no garden, though...but I still have my potted plant friends. I have a lovely hibiscus shrub, a crimson red miniature rose bush, an unruly nephthytis, a couple of pothos propagated from a plant my favorite teacher had, and a croton. I also experiment with various varieties of chile pepper, and have some ghost chile seeds to plant once I get my grow lights. I've been experimenting for years to bring out the maximum capsaicin in the fruits. My habaneros were mean back when I had my garden. >:D Also, I'm going to get started with creating bonsai trees when I have the money to get the tools, wire, and some tree seedlings. I have a botany degree, worked in a production greenhouse in high school, and would love to do this professionally, but there are really no jobs available here. :c

@Linaeth Ooh, I also have some cayenne chili peppers, about 5 of them, all being grown for their lovely yummy peppers. They probably won't be that spicy though, being babies and all.

Oh, and you have a botany degree?! That sounds interesting! Did you get to work with plants all day?