Rosedamai

Plants and Gardening

Yay! I got my chocolate mint plant today. Although it needs to be repotted first thing in the morning. It's pretty badly rootbound.

wasps are great for a garden.

yeee my corpse flower is sprouting well ;o;

Lol yup. The creepy bugs are always the most important tongue.gif

Hehe, I just don't appreciate the added wasps, ants, and grubs. On the other hand, ladybugs are the best.  happy.gif

If you want to avoid having wasps and their nests around, there's an easy non-chemical way to detour them. Stuffing a brown paper bag and hanging it mimics a nest and wasps will avoid making homes near it.

There's been a lot of rain where I live and the peach trees around my house are doing really well. I found out yesterday though that there's a bug called plum curculio that's been attacking some of the fruit. Peaches are so high maintenance. I swear if it's not one thing attacking the trees, it's another. (Leaf curl and japanese beatles have been past occurances)

I wish I had conditions to grow my own plants - I'd mostly grow roses, sunflowers and herbs. wub.gif

anyone here got experience with Hibiscus Plants

we moved into this house we are in now around October last year, so I've only just started gardening here

there is a Hibiscus brush here from the last owner, an old guy, he died around a year before I bought it (I used to talk to him on my walks, sad his family just abandoned the yard it was very beautiful)

so the Hibiscus has been on it own for all that time, it's doing so-so, and is under attack from Aphids and something else that chops the flowers off

does anyone know of a way to treat it that is not bad for the soil, animals, good bugs, or other plants

the aphids reproduction cycle is very interesting

Your roses sound really pretty, a garden full of flowers is a pleasing sight. I'm not a huge gardener personally, but I do enjoy pottering about now and again out there. I often go walking and see lots of houses with really nice front gardens, my grandad before he passed away was very in to it, he had one of the nicest gardens I've ever seen. His dad, my great grandad was also heavily in to it. I guess it was a family thing for them, they used to grow their own vegetables and stuff smile.gif

@Zero- I don't know about anything you can spray, but you could get a bunch of lady bugs and let them free. Those things prey on Aphids.

I have a tiny green house in my room that I grow lavender in. I also sprouted a whisteria vine that is now outside!

@Zero- I don't know about anything you can spray, but you could get a bunch of lady bugs and let them free. Those things prey on Aphids.

I looked into that but no one near me sells them and I am concerned about the danger of releasing ladybugs from another area in to our area (foreign diseases/parasites)

so I looked in to plants that attract ladybugs and other good bugs that eat Aphids, but I need something in the meantime while they grow

I just harvested onions, And Some tomatoes. drying my onions out

I have planted lettuce Seed for autumn harvest.

trying to find out what to do with tomatillos.

My mom found mistletoe in our yard this morning. Apparently it's been growing in one of our trees and it got cold enough that a largish piece got brittle and broke off. I've never seen real mistletoe before. It was pretty cool. Too bad mistletoe is a parasitic plant. I was surprised to find we have it here. For some reason I thought mistletoe was a northern plant.

Gardening? Count me in!

I'm actually an ornamental gardener. My love of plants all started when I moved into my new house. I was dazzled by the Agapanthus growing there.

Then I decided to buy some Morning Glory seeds. Those just crowded the entire garden, so I removed them. Then I got a Hibiscus. Now, it's a burly plant as tall as me. I have loads of other plants, including Spring-flowering bulb plants. Tulips, daffodils, (this year) crocus, and hyacinths.

Then comes my obsession for orchids.

List of orchids I have: Phalaenopsis (lots tongue.gif), Cattleya alliance (4), Zygopetalum (1), and Paphiopedilum (1). Am I missing something here? Oh yeah, Oncidium (1).

I seriously need a greenhouse .-.

TL;DR: I friking love plants.

EDIT: Holy hell I forgot I had an iris plant.

Edited by DanielDragonist

i cant keep plants alive. i hire someone to care for my lawn and flower beds. yes i am THAT bad

i killed a cactus. not kidding. sad.gif

I got a stevia plant last week. Next time I make pasta sauce I'm going to try sweetening it with crushed stevia leaves instead of sugar.

I do not have a green thumb, that's for sure sad.gif I kill everything I come in contact with. It's very sad. I want to grow a garden one day with many veggies but the heck if I'm going to keep it alive sad.gif

Almost a year ago, I attempted gardening for the first time just for fun. My interest in gardening grew to an interest in organic farming and agriculture. This year, I made plans to set up a little farm in a rural area in the province where my dad was born.

Despite my interest, I have not been able to grow any plant yet. I attempted to plant tomatoes. The first and second batch grew little seedlings that were an inch tall. Then they died. The third batch did not even grow at all.

At home, I have several fruit-bearing trees. It is nice that I can just go out and pick out ingredients or desserts instead of having to go to the market. happy.gif

i have 5 air plants and i really like them.

i read online that a lot of people have problems keeping air plants alive because they think you dont have to water them. which is silly.

i live in a townhouse so i dont have much need or desire to do any gardening that is not handled for me by landscaping. my little indoor air plants work out great for me though

I have some plants in balcony and yard. Yard had been designed like garden but it's too small. dry.gif

Despite my interest, I have not been able to grow any plant yet. I attempted to plant tomatoes. The first and second batch grew little seedlings that were an inch tall. Then they died. The third batch did not even grow at all.

You should probably check the conditions that the plants need before putting them in the ground. I'm not sure about overseas, but here in the US there are different zones listed usually on the back side of seed packets that tell whether the plants can grow in your area and the ideal planting time. Ask around to see what other gardeners near you are growing to find out what plants do well and what methods they use to keep the more stubborn ones alive.

There are also factors such as the amount of shade and type of soil to consider that can make a huge impact. Putting down some fertilizer can really help get your plants going, especially transplanted ones.

Edited by Daydreamer09

You should probably check the conditions that the plants need before putting them in the ground. I'm not sure about overseas, but here in the US there are different zones listed usually on the back side of seed packets that tell whether the plants can grow in your area and the ideal planting time. Ask around to see what other gardeners near you are growing to find out what plants do well and what methods they use to keep the more stubborn ones alive.

There are also factors such as the amount of shade and type of soil to consider that can make a huge impact. Putting down some fertilizer can really help get your plants going, especially transplanted ones.

Thank you for the advice, Daydreamer! I am unsure as to how easy or challenging it is to grow tomatoes in the US, but as it turns out, the native variety of tomatoes I attempted to grow were rather advanced for a beginner such as myself. I may attempt to grow tomatoes again and I will definitely consult with others. happy.gif

For now, I planted a few mulberry stem cuttings in the the garden. I have heard and read that mulberries were easy to grow. My only challenge is that I have three dogs that think these stems are fetching sticks that have been staked to the ground. laugh.gif

My only challenge is that I have three dogs that think these stems are fetching sticks that have been staked to the ground. laugh.gif

I can second that! ^-^

So far my 1yr old German Shepard has eaten two rose bushes, a few irises and several gladiolas! If it's not with teeth then he's stomping through my gardens. T.T

i currently take care of a moon cactus named kevin, a spider plant, multiple devils' backbones, an aloe vera, an amaryllis, and a finicky af sedum treleasei

like, i've had this sedum for a year and it's had root rot twice, the first time it killed off three out of four of the stems i had, and now after removing the rotten part i'm trying to get it to root again lol. it's also suuuuper picky about sunlight, i live in florida and i've kept it on a south-facing window and it ended up stretching until i finally placed it outdoors in direct sunlight. i've never had luck propagating from the leaves, either, which is a huge bummer ://

for anyone considering getting a succulent/cactus, pls don't make my same mistake and purchase miracle gro's brand of cacti mix!! it drains like utter crap and the water just sits on top, and when it does finally absorb it never soaks all the way through; some parts will be damp, others will be dusty and dry. 0/10 would not recommend, instead find something with lots of chunks of crushed rock in it and minimal moss. i've read that this mix is the best mix out there, but you can make a similar recipe of 1 part turface, 1 part pine bark fines, and 1 part crushed granite!

gotta love them succulents

Edited by catmosphere

So far my 1yr old German Shepard has eaten two rose bushes, a few irises and several gladiolas! If it's not with teeth then he's stomping through my gardens. T.T

I love roses and I love German Shepherds, so I don't know how to react to rose versus dog in this case. x3 What color/variety are your roses? happy.gif

to those having problems with their dogs eating their plants have you tried using citrus peels as a repellent, crush/rip/grate the peels until they release the full citrus smell and then spread them around the plants you need your dog/s to stray away from

most dogs hate the smell of citrus

if you get your citrus fruits from a shop wash the peels before doing this

I need some advice for a grape vine

we have a old grape vine in the backyard, it was neglected in the time between the old home owner dying and me buying the house

once we found it and worked out what it was, it was mostly just a stump with some leaves, it was doing great for the past year until a month back, now its leaves have all turned yellow and brown and are falling off, it looks very sick I don't know if its just giving up its leaves for the year or if something is wrong

I've never cared for a grape vine before so I've got no idea what to do

also its winter in Australia right now and a very rainy one so far