TJ09

2012-05-21 - Happy 6th Birthday!

I like the dragons, but I don't like the name Tsunami Wyvern... brings up painful memories. I guess I will continue to call them Waverockers.

I love the Ultraviolets. So pretty...I think the color combination - the more lavender-gray looks lovely with the neon blue and yellow combo. I do agree with manticore that the wings and front legs could be a bit smoother and consistent (the wings, with each other) though.

Can't wait to see the Sunnies biggrin.gif

Edited by lanette

The scaling of the BBW would look very nice actually with the Tsunami Wyvern, and also the BBW's colors are all across the board which will tie in very well with the various patterns on the Tsunami. I only have one BBW D: I Need to get some CB's now <3

Why didn't they all turn into adults at the same time?

looks like they all hatched at different times

Don't think TJ remembered to hatch his eggs when he released them, so users added them to various ERs. The first of each dragon species on the front page have a lot more clicks than the others, so they most likely hatched while the rest were still stuck in ERs.

It does seem like the pattern is a bit restricted to one style per 'segment' of wing, which makes it look a bit less organic; I see that the patterns carry over a little, already, but maybe they could have been carried more.

Ah, that must be why the patterns strike me so odd.

The little elbow digit on the tsunamis is a bit weird too. Not bad weird, but just not usually something you see.

I quite like the Tsunami. smile.gif Nice colors and unique. But... could they rescale it to be bigger? Honestly, it's waaay too small a sprite for a "gigantic dragon" who causes tsunamis with his wings! xd.png I almost thought it was a pygmy at first glance. laugh.gif

The scaling of the BBW would look very nice actually with the Tsunami Wyvern, and also the BBW's colors are all across the board which will tie in very well with the various patterns on the Tsunami. I only have one BBW D: I Need to get some CB's now <3

Yes! That's exactly what I thought. biggrin.gif I can't wait to get more tsunamis so I can breed them with my BBWs. happy.gif

As for the size of the tsunamis, the reason they look small is because their wing span is so large, which means the rest of them has to be scaled down. The sprite is the full 100 pixels in length and 84 pixels in height. It couldn't really get bigger without being either out of proportion or having its wings folded in more.

I usually tend to get the "Let's see you do better," argument when I reveal I can't sprite, or can't sprite dragons at least. And so people just ignore what I have to say because 1, it's really hard to explain things in words about a picture, and 2, they assume I have no idea what I'm talking about even though I do. So I'll just continue to not bother.

I've also gotten the "They've spent time on this, respect that" which just makes no sense to me.

Also idk, I kind of like the open discussion better, for one because I feel rude just pming anyone out of the blue, and for another, it fosters a sense of "let's not be so hostile to people who don't just love this or that" which is the usual attitude I run into. There's also the fact that people who are better at explaining, or drawing an explanation can come in and help.

I hate it when people use that "argument" to dismiss someone's critique.

"You don't draw humans, so you have no place critiquing my portrait"

"You don't draw horses, so you don't have any right to give critique on horse anatomy" (doesn't apply to me fortunately haha)

"You don't sprite, so you don't know what you're talking about"

These are not enough reasons to dismiss someone's possibly VERY constructive critique. I see humans everyday, I know how they look like, so I can definitely tell if something is off, even if I don't draw them myself.

I do however, see how a lot of people may get confused about the male Ultraviolet's wing, even though it looks fine to me.

The pattern on the male Tsunami doesn't really look that inorganic to me, except for the upper part, the part near the body looks more well blended.

On the topic of people criticizing the spriting of the artists, I do agree that constructive criticism is good, but honestly, it's not going to be much use now that's the dragon has been released. I'd rather just enjoy the sprite, but of course, people can do as they wish.

Yup. Just because I've never published a book before, or because I can't really sing, doesn't mean that I can't recognize a mary sue cliche/overrated pop song. It also raises the interesting question towards those who use that argument-well, if you never did (insert action) here, how can you properly enjoy it, as you claim?

Edited by ylangylang

On the topic of people criticizing the spriting of the artists, I do agree that constructive criticism is good, but honestly, it's not going to be much use now that's the dragon has been released. I'd rather just enjoy the sprite, but of course, people can do as they wish.

*cough*Shadow Walkers *cough*

Though I do think these matters should be handed privately. OR maybe the artists could have someplace here on the forums where they could say if they wanted to be contacted about possible critique or not to avoid problems.

I know that if I ever got a work of mine published here, I'd be eager to see people's comments and if something was wrong, I'd probably stress over it and fix it (if it was a major thing that is).

These are not enough reasons to dismiss someone's possibly VERY constructive critique. I see humans everyday, I know how they look like, so I can definitely tell if something is off, even if I don't draw them myself.

I do definitely agree with that. "You can't do any better so you have no right to an opinion" is an illogical argument.

However, I think people should also think about why and when they're giving critique. If the artist is asking for feedback, especially while a piece is still in progress, great. But when the piece is finished, and when the artist hasn't asked for advice, I don't think that an extensive, detailed critique is necessarily "helping," either (this is different from a simple statement of opinion). Crit is much more useful either when a piece is still being worked on, or when the artist is asking for feedback. Otherwise, it's kind of like walking up to someone on the street and telling them in detail what you don't like about their wardrobe and how they could dress better next time.

*cough*Shadow Walkers *cough*

Though I do think these matters should be handed privately. OR maybe the artists could have someplace here on the forums where they could say if they wanted to be contacted about possible critique or not to avoid problems.

I know that if I ever got a work of mine published here, I'd be eager to see people's comments and if something was wrong, I'd probably stress over it and fix it (if it was a major thing that is).

What happened with the shadow walkers? *doesn't pay much attention to spriting*

there was a gigantic hubub of critiques on the release thread about the sprites. the artist eventually went in and fixed some of the glaring issues people were mentioning. you can compare the two sprites on the wiki page: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Walker_Dragon#Sprites

They got updated, mainly the tail, but some other things were fixed too.

OMG the female Tsunami is about to grow up!

Edit: ninja.gif 'd

Edit:

However, I think people should also think about why and when they're giving critique. If the artist is asking for feedback, especially while a piece is still in progress, great. But when the piece is finished, and when the artist hasn't asked for advice, I don't think that an extensive, detailed critique is necessarily "helping," either (this is different from a simple statement of opinion). Crit is much more useful either when a piece is still being worked on, or when the artist is asking for feedback. Otherwise, it's kind of like walking up to someone on the street and telling them in detail what you don't like about their wardrobe and how they could dress better next time.

I agree, it is important to respect the artist's wishes.

Edited by becrux

Not following on the arguments here will only say that I love each design. They are truly beautiful in design must applaud the artists and spriters for making this yet another wonderful year.

Yay, lovely adults!

I think I'm going to make a UV lineage that breeds the UVs with dragons that are that bright blue to play off their coloring - like Skywings or Water horses.

As for the Tsunamis, I love the coloring. The talk about them being hunted for their skin makes me wonder if that will factor into whether they're common, uncommon, or rare. I think it would be cool if the were Trio level dragons. I can see them all going together. Although, like I said before, hope whatever BSA accompanies the dragon is a bit more select in the damage department than Earthquake is.

Now just a little more waiting. And I'm waiting for an egg to hatch so I can get another one. So it's double the pain!

I think the Tsunami is so beautiful, but when I first saw it my mind totally screamed - Flasher! lololol

The female tsunami is so pretty as well! Thanks, spriters! So dynamic <3

Now for the uv female...*waits*

Edited by ylangylang

The male and female Tsunamis make a lovely pair! It's exciting being online right as the new releases grow up, for once. I don't think I've ever been on for that before.

I understand that some people don't like the sprites very much, after all it's a matter of taste, but I think it's the wording that comes accross as harsh ? There's a difference between saying "all such and such spriter's dragon's look wrong" and "I think that all such and such spriter's dragon's look wrong". It sounds less peremptory and brings your opinion back to what it really is : an opinion. Posing it as fact can come across as aggressive.

Also personally even if I don't like some sprites quite as much or even if I feel disappointed, I respect other people's enjoyment and the spriter's feelings : putting your art out there can make you feel quite vulnerable and on a day where you're feeling happy and a little nervous that your sprites are being released I can understand how it would be hurtful to have them bashed in the news thread. Maybe it's cultural, but unless you happen to hurt my feelings, then I will be careful not to hurt yours. I guess that's how I view respect.

I think as long as you don't come across as arrogant, the best place to critique is the suggestion board. I have already offered critique and I wasn't flamed. In that board people can easily change the artwork, that's what it's for ! Complaining when it's released is a bit futile. If you're so passionnate about the way dragons look and anatomy, (which is fine ! I am too) then your opinion would be most useful in the suggestion boards. That's where people would take it into account. Basically you do have a chance to make your opinion heard, so if I were you I would take it.

Now after this wall of text, my opinion on these dragons : I quite like that the tsunamis do have large wings. It's true that we don't see much detail on the body but one thing I often notice about other dragons is how their wings aren't big enough in general. It's not a big deal and it's very hard not to make that mistake, but if you look at a bird, you'll see that their wingspan is very big compared to their body, otherwise they couldn't stay in the air.

tl;dr I actually like seeing a dragon with a big wingspan smile.gif

Also I love their patterns. I'm a fan of the tsunamis smile.gif I love the eggs, hachies and adults.

As for the UVs : I like that they're a hybrid, I like that they look a bit like the spitfire, you can tell they're related. I like that the spriter chose a different position for them. It's a welcome change, quite bold. The colour scheme is very interesting, not my favorite but I think I will get used to it quickly.

As for the Shinies... my bet is that they will be rares xd.png I may be wrong but that's been my gut feeling all along.