TJ09

2012-05-21 - Happy 6th Birthday!

Oohh, I think I get what you're saying now. Yeah, that does look a little bit funky...

It does.

I mean, I think I see what they were trying to do...it just...didn't work...

Just from a spriting standpoint, I think they're much better than the artist's usual wings, the anatomy just needs some work...

And that picture makes even less sense to me.

Maybe if you put the colours over the sprite it might. But I still think it looks wrong.

Or just delete it because you realised it doesn't make sense either way.

Edited by manticore

I'm going to be honest... when I saw the tsunami dragons in their hatchling form, I didn't think I was going to like the adults, because I thought they'd be kind of chubby and fish like. tongue.gif Which I think is what some people were hoping for, but I'm personally glad they're not like that.

But I'm surprised just how much I love these! The shape of their wings and the detailing on it are fantastic! I can't wait to see what the girl looks like. Dimorphism ftw! biggrin.gif

The ultraviolet's wings are typical JOTB awesomeness and I love those. But I'm still not sure what I think of the colour combo or the fact that it's a hybrid, which I'm not that fond of, specially since none of the breeding combos are ones I'm that keen on. But I'm looking forward to seeing the girl. She might be enough to make me love hybrids for once. tongue.gif

Gahhh it's still a long wait for the rest though. I want to see them now!

The wave egg... I was excepting the adult to be a fat fish dragon. Dammit. Oh well, I'll just freeze an hatchling army. A male one.

I also expected something more fish-like (the hatchling does remind me of the bluna <3) but I think the adult is really pretty, so I don't really complain.

Niiice, they started to grow up. biggrin.gif

Tsunami wyverns! <3

ETA: Ooooh... 5 of my eggies hatched! happy.gif

Edited by earthgirl

The ultraviolet's wings are typical JOTB awesomeness and I love those.

You must be joking...

It does.

I mean, I think I see what they were trying to do...it just...didn't work...

Just from a spriting standpoint, I think they're much better than the artist's usual wings, the anatomy just needs some work...

And that picture makes even less sense to me.

Maybe if you put the colours over the sprite it might. But I still think it looks wrong.

Or just delete it because you realised it doesn't make sense either way.

Now I am confused. Does anyone have a good idea of what the wings would look like when unfurled?

What's happening to the leading edge? Why are there fingers or spines or whatever facing forward, the opposite direction of the rest of the fingers??

its like a hand. try to do that with your own hand and you'll see how it works. the small finger on the inside is the thumb. its all perspective

Edited by ParticleSoup

its like a hand. try to do that with your own hand and you'll see how it works. the small finger on the inside is the thumb. its all perspective

That still doesn't explain what that second part going forward is. I mean, assuming it's the second finger, it looks like it's bent the way it would be if the body was sideways.

I mean, I see what they're going for for sure now, but it still looks like there's no leading edge

OOHH i can see it perfectly now. i just had to figure out where the bones were going. give me a minute and i can PM you, manticore

I LOVE the hybrids I see nothing wrong with them that I would want to change smile.gif Very beautiful. Also would make GORGEOUS lineages with tombstones tongue.gif

The Tsunamis should be scaled a little bigger being as they are Tsunami Wyverns. All the other Wyverns are quite larger. Hoping maybe the Sunlights are Wyverns too of the same size to make possible mates with the Tsunamis.

Oh wow. I've been gone awhile, guess i have some eggs to catch. xd.png

Happy late birthday DC, and heres to many more ;3

Hoping maybe the Sunlights are Wyverns too of the same size to make possible mates with the Tsunamis.

They won't be. The wings are on the back and they have fourlegs. Sorry.

I got another of the shiny ones. Now I have 8 of them and only 4 of the tsunamis. I still need to catch a couple more tsunamis but I won't be unlocked for a bit.

And I'm with shovedtbh; I don't think there's anything wrong with the ultraviolets. All the sprites so far have been gorgeous. Thank you, spriters! happy.gif

You must be joking...

That's a little harsh (or I might be completely misunderstanding you, because tone + text = fail).

JOTB usually does wings wonderfully. It's a shame her in-cave dragons don't have well defined wing fingers, if any, because she does know how to do wings.

I think it might just be best to leave her a critique and see if she's willing to/has the time to fix it.

I totally love the Ultraviolets!!!!! *adores*

Spitfires is still my favorite though happy.gif

Looking at these guys more and more, I like the 'unique' posing of the UV. It looks like it's coming towards the viewer... would say 3D, but that's not the right word. o3o

Hmm, not sure what to think about the Tsunamis, at least the male sprite. I like the colors and shading, but the wing patterns look like the artists couldn't decide which one to go with, so they ended up using all of them =P That and I typically don't like tiny-bodied-huge-wing dragons as I feel it diminishes good opportunity at face details, claws, and such. I'm sure they'll grow on me, and while they're still cool I don't think I'll be hoarding them or anything.

I agree, JOTB wasn't the best at the body structure, but the wings were just flawless. Angziety was AMAZING at coloring. Marionetta: Your hatchies were just adorable. I'm starting an army.

They won't be. The wings are on the back and they have fourlegs. Sorry.

Omg~! You're right. Why did I fail to see legs sad.gif The wings ehh, but there is four legs O_O I am sleepy....possibly the cause? lol. Thanks for the needed correction ^.^

Compared to the rest of the DC artist's JOTB's wings are lacking. They look weirdly textured and usually stiff. Her dragons are consistently my least favourites to the point that I don't even care to collect them.

These look better, in those departments, and I'm glad for that, the anatomy just looks wrong. I honestly can see what's trying to happen there, but it falls short. Maybe it's just an optical illusion I can't flip around the right way. I thought I had it a minute ago, but it didn't really stick. Basically it looks like the first finger is actually just attached to the second finger and jutting forward, and not attached to the wrist and curved forward.

I agree, JOTB wasn't the best at the body structure, but the wings were just flawless. Angziety was AMAZING at coloring. Marionetta: Your hatchies were just adorable. I'm starting an army.

I don't know which JOTB you're talking about, but if I could do back legs like her I'd be set XD

Also, on the Tsunamis, Angz and co. were the spriters. The concept creator wanted those patterns (oh my god that thread was active so, so long ago).

It's also hard to have a dynamic pose and to get all features crystal clear. It's either nice wings, small body, or crumpled wings, visible body. /experience

Edit: Manticore, it's a shame TJ hasn't released her better dragons. she has some really stunning works. /stalks her DA like a dork

Edited by Kila

Compared to the rest of the DC artist's JOTB's wings are lacking. They look weirdly textured and usually stiff. Her dragons are consistently my least favourites to the point that I don't even care to collect them.

These look better, in those departments, and I'm glad for that, the anatomy just looks wrong. I honestly can see what's trying to happen there, but it falls short. Maybe it's just an optical illusion I can't flip around the right way. I thought I had it a minute ago, but it didn't really stick. Basically it looks like the first finger is actually just attached to the second finger and jutting forward, and not attached to the wrist and curved forward.

I'd dare say you're looking at it wrong. To me it looks like the wings are meant to be jagged and so not all the "spikes" you're seeing are actually wings fingers.

Look at the far wing and you'll see why I think that.

Personally, I like them (though I prefer the Tsunami so far).

Edited for grammar

Edited by becrux

I guess at least her back legs are better than the front ones.

And I know they're supposed to be fingers, but that's not what it looks like.

Edited by manticore

sorry, this took a little longer than i had hoped. XD

user posted image

red is the would-be skeletal structure, and the blue is the membrane between them, along with my depiction of what it may look like unfurled. its not a perfect replica, but hopefully gets the point across..

honestly, i dont think anything needs to be changed about the sprite. its just a unique gesture with a wing

Edited by ParticleSoup