stogucheme

Accessibility Option for Eggs

Which style do you like best? (1st post)  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For Stripes, I'd suggest following the convention used for single-letter color acronyms laid down in the graphics industry-- "B" is blue (RGB), "K" is black (CMYK), so blue Stripes are BS, black Stripes are KS. (Alternately, you could use Magic: The Gathering's convention and abbreviate Black as B and Blue as U; I am not sure what convention uses the one-letter abbreviation "L" for blue when both it and black are present, given both have "L" as the second letter in the word.)

Would it also be all that difficult to put a one- or two-pixel white stroke around the edge of the black lettering? That would make it pop over the eggs and largely eliminate the "can't be read on dark eggs" problem.

user posted image

Like so.

A fifth possible option may be to use the text tags exclusively as non-image links. This would also be screenreader-friendly for people with more severe visual impairment than colorblindness, as an added bonus.

Ed.: Cleared up that last paragraph there, added a little more on abbreviation conventions for blue and black.

Edited by Coronaviridae

Maybe, but not everyone realises that 'K'eyplate is black. This is obviously one thats a bit hard. Maybe we could look to symonyms? Such as Dark instead of Black. Or look to more arcane ones such as latin Viola or Umbra (this last sentence is a joke btw).

Those letters are too large IMO, You can barely see what is beneath

But, maybe that could be an option also? With the html edit (I mentioned earlier) rather than sprite edit, you could have an option for small or large text. Clicking size isnt different either because the sprite is the same size as before; the text doesnt affect it. > colourised because I feel ignored QQ

Edited by loudwhitenoise

Yeah, I'm aware they mostly obscure the egg, but the specific demonstration was "how to put a white stroke around text and make it more readable" rather than a final format, so I honestly could not be bothered to fuss with it longer than it took to slap it together.

I don't think an arbitrarily chosen synonym will have better recognition than a universal standard, even if it is a universal standard in a field not every DC player is immersed in. Albeit this is why I suggested using B for black and U for blue ala Wizards of the Coast's abbreviations for Magic: The Gathering, since that may have a higher recognition rate, and barring that, "blue->U" has a better sound-alike mnemonic going for it.

Whatever's chosen, there's going to be a certain percentage of people who simply have to memorize it; my suggestions are based on trying to make the memorization task easier.

Yeah, I'm aware they mostly obscure the egg, but the specific demonstration was "how to put a white stroke around text and make it more readable" rather than a final format, so I honestly could not be bothered to fuss with it longer than it took to slap it together.

I don't think an arbitrarily chosen synonym will have better recognition than a universal standard, even if it is a universal standard in a field not every DC player is immersed in. Albeit this is why I suggested using B for black and U for blue ala Wizards of the Coast's abbreviations for Magic: The Gathering, since that may have a higher recognition rate, and barring that, "blue->U" has a better sound-alike mnemonic going for it.

Whatever's chosen, there's going to be a certain percentage of people who simply have to memorize it; my suggestions are based on trying to make the memorization task easier.

If you can make sure no acronym is repeated, and the style is the same (like Stripes having an S as their second letter, or Dorsals having a D as their second letter), feel free to mess with the list.

I like the idea, as long as those of us who aren't color blind, can turn it off.

I am blind in one eye, but can see the colors just fine.

I have 5 children and every one of them color blind, because their father's are.

Since somehow you guys have managed to miss me saying the letters on my example /could/ be bigger, i went ahead and made a new example.. but am not putting it on the "ap" image like i did before tongue.gif

user posted image

that doesnt make the image too much larger than a regular egg, but should be large enough for most people to be able to see. Added the lighter color to help it stand out, but not quite sure i like it.

The problem I see with this is that the letters kind of blur into the outline. sad.gif

Yikes, what I was trying to say in my last post was that it would probably have been a better idea to post the cons, along with the pros, in the main post instead of the poll. I feel it kind established an early negative look on all the ideas before one even gets the chance to read the actually thread. Sorry again for any confusion caused in my last post.

Edited by Kirbyburn

If you can make sure no acronym is repeated, and the style is the same (like Stripes having an S as their second letter, or Dorsals having a D as their second letter), feel free to mess with the list.

Feel free to mess with the list? Good, now we can all try to figure out which ones work best biggrin.gif

https://sites.google.com/site/lwnsdragcavel...-blindness-idea <- is my take on it.

At the bottom of the table I say "Re seasonals: do we really need to put S before it? why no just make them be eg. Autumn instead of Seasonal Autumn?" This is why I have the 2nd column. Note that it is thrown together in a hurry and may have dozens of typos. I couldnt figure out the spotted greenwing unless the stripes eg white stripe instead of stripe white. (I liked saying stripe white it seems cleaner, oh well.)

ps. if you cant figure out any of it talk to me or leave a comment

Edited by loudwhitenoise

Feel free to mess with the list? Good, now we can all try to figure out which ones work best biggrin.gif

https://sites.google.com/site/lwnsdragcavel...-blindness-idea  <- is my take on it.

At the bottom of the table I say "Re seasonals: do we really need to put S before it? why no just make them be eg. Autumn instead of Seasonal Autumn?" This is why I have the 2nd column. Note that it is thrown together in a hurry and may have dozens of typos. I couldnt figure out the spotted greenwing unless the stripes eg white stripe instead of stripe white. (I liked saying stripe white it seems cleaner, oh well.)

Unfortunately if you lead with S for the Stripes, you're adding to the very large number of dragons that have names that start with S, as you rightly noticed.

Give me a moment and I'll collate this all into a shared Google spreadsheet.

Ed.: There we go.

Feel free to start a new column to add suggestions to. As a personal note, I don't like the fact we've got some acronyms that are two capital letters and some that aren't, even though I know why we're doing that. Either they should all be two caps or all one cap, one lowercase.

Is it too late for different suggestions?

Don't think so. If you want to throw acronyms in the pile go for it.

Edited by Coronaviridae

Sometimes I wonder...

Anyway, I feel like the entire letter memorization thing is just too obnoxious.

If its anything like chemistry, this will take away some of the initial appeal of the entire idea in the first place. But, I guess after a few weeks you would get use to it.

Also realize people this will restrict names in the future, which is why a previously suggested attempting a few color alts in a different color spectrum.

Well, obv. I'm not in control of the poll so I can't say if stogucheme's closed that for suggestions, but I'm not going to go NO DON'T SUGGEST ANYTHING OTHER THAN A LETTERING SYSTEM either.

Sometimes I wonder...

If its anything like chemistry, this will take away some of the initial appeal of the entire idea in the first place.  But, I guess after a few weeks you would get use to it.

Also realize people this will restrict names in the future, which is why a previously suggested attempting a few color alts  in a different color spectrum.

Do you have an alternate suggestion to letters? What other visual representation can we use? No really. I'm really asking. I can't think of anything. The problem of colorblindness is that some of the colors and designs of eggs are lost. We could make up symbols for the eggs, but that would be more cumbersome than learning a set of letters.

Sometimes I wonder...

If its anything like chemistry, this will take away some of the initial appeal of the entire idea in the first place. But, I guess after a few weeks you would get use to it.

Also realize people this will restrict names in the future, which is why a previously suggested attempting a few color alts in a different color spectrum.

Colour blind people won't find it obnoxious; they will be very relieved to be able to play more easily.

As to new names - there are MANY combos of letters that can still be used - they don't have to totally match the dragon names.

Pb for lead, anyone ?

Well my suggestion was that along with letters, some eggs can have a re-coloration done by the artist that avoids most the problematic spectrum ranges.

I was just going to suggest Au for gold and Ag for silver when I read that. xd.png

That being said, I'm totally for using acronyms of 1 to 3 letters. For simplicity's sake, I added my ideas to the list. biggrin.gif

Well my suggestion was that along with letters, some eggs can have a re-coloration done by the artist that avoids most the problematic spectrum ranges.

For which type of colorblindness, though? Do we just default to assuming that most people using colorblind mode will be red-green colorblind and have eggs remade to take that into account?

Because there's eight different types of colorblindness with varying degrees of frequency in the population, and the only way to cover all of them is make sure every single egg has a high-contrast pattern across all possible variations. @_@

Ed.: And to answer a question from olympe on the spreadsheet: We probably don't need Guardian of Nature because they never occur in the AP, but we do need Neglected, because they do.

Although someone (stogucheme?) had pointed out that CB mode might also be used for one's entire scroll as well, in which case we'd need even scroll-exclusive eggs like the GoN to have abbreviations.

Edited by Coronaviridae

ETA:

Ed.: And to answer a question from olympe on the spreadsheet: We probably don't need Guardian of Nature because they never occur in the AP, but we do need Neglected, because they do.

Although someone (stogucheme?) had pointed out that CB mode might also be used for one's entire scroll as well, in which case we'd need even scroll-exclusive eggs like the GoN to have abbreviations.

Yeah, this would be necessary for 2 reasons: 1 scroll-wide reasons and 2 Neglecteds do appear on the AP sometimes.

https://sites.google.com/site/lwnsdragcavel...-blindness-idea  <- is my take on it.

(Okay, haven't checked your list for this, but I should have added that BB and Bb counts as a repeat too. We might go with all caps letters.)

Seawyrms don't have an acronym?

Anyway, the Dinos have the letter and exclamation point instead of two letters because they're not dragons- I've considered doing this for Chickens, Papers, and Cheeses as well.

The Seasonals have S in front because they're part of the same series, like Stripes.

Edited by stogucheme

For which type of colorblindness, though? Do we just default to assuming that most people using colorblind mode will be red-green colorblind and have eggs remade to take that into account?

Because there's eight different types of colorblindness with varying degrees of frequency in the population, and the only way to cover all of them is make sure every single egg has a high-contrast pattern across all possible variations. @_@

Grayscale could work for some.

I also had the idea of adding small pictures in the corners of eggs or something that correspond with the dragon.

I don't think this would work, since the point is to do something that will work for all colorblind folk. Something that doesn't rely on color would be optimal.

Pictures are also going to be tiny and a ton of work.

~

I still don't like the scroll-wide part. I don't think it's necessary and one colorblind person (Thu) has, IIRC, posted they didn't like it either. =U

~

Using symbols to differentiate between dinos, drakes, pygmies, 2heads, and whatever else is a nice idea.

Dino example: *p, *r, *g, *y, *b

Because of the size difference in pygmy and regular eggs, they could repeat already used acronyms, I think.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't think this would work, since the point is to do something that will work for all colorblind folk. Something that doesn't rely on color would be optimal.

Pictures are also going to be tiny and a ton of work.

~

I still don't like the scroll-wide part. I don't think it's necessary and one colorblind person (Thu) has, IIRC, posted they didn't like it either. =U

~

Using symbols to differentiate between dinos, drakes, pygmies, 2heads, and whatever else is a nice idea.

Dino example: *p, *r, *g, *y, *b

Because of the size difference in pygmy and regular eggs, they could repeat already used acronyms, I think.

Pasting something like thisuser posted image on the correct dragon wouldn't be bad right? It would probably hafta be grey though.

Edited by Kirbyburn

Pasting something like thisuser posted image on the correct dragon wouldn't be bad right? It would probably hafta be grey though.

I don't really understand. You want different images next to eggs that are tiny and small? So.. we have different symbols for all of them? Wouldn't that be just more confusing?

I don't really understand. You want different images next to eggs that are tiny and small? So.. we have different symbols for all of them? Wouldn't that be just more confusing?

That's what I said earlier. A bunch of brand new symbols would probably be more confusing than a bunch of letters/symbols that people are already familiar with.

Also, some artists were arguing against modifying the eggs with letters. (Hence the different options in letter positions) They might be more against modifying the eggs with actual images...

Edited by Shokomon