stogucheme

Accessibility Option for Eggs

Which style do you like best? (1st post)  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ladies and gentlemen, your periodic table of eggs!

user posted image

(Mistakes are not my fault. XP)

Out of curiosity, why make Vamps 08 since they're available year-round? What happens when I put Vamps on the AP during Christmas and Valentine's day? [Edit: to clarify, I know there's no Valentine 08. But any Vamps on the AP on Valentine's would appear to be Val 08s.]

Edited by Fizzix

Why is the black stripe not BS? Edit: Just realized Blue Stripe was BS. xd.png

You plan to make the font stand out a bit more right? And perhaps the letters should remain inside the egg instead of sticking out? For pygmies the letters would stay in the boundaries of a normal-sized egg.

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by BirdSpirit

Like others have said, I would support it if it were optional. Part of my love for DragCave is the pretty little eggs, letters over them would really weird me out. Plus, I think it would be eye straining figuring out the letters, but it may just be me x3

While orange on black may stand out to us, we'd have to ask users with different types of colorblindness to test that these options do, in fact, help.

Edited by Fizzix

While orange on black may stand out to us, we'd have to ask users with different types of colorblindness to test that these options do, in fact, help.

Black over black is impossible to see at a glance though, which was the point I was trying to make. The point is to create the letter so that it is of a contrasting color to the egg so that a person with any kind of colorblindness can make it out. If the egg has multiple colors, then the acronym will be outlined.

Would this really be helpful though? The colorblind people will have to actually read each acronym instead of taking a snapshot in their head and finding the color of egg they want. Any rares would be well gone by the time they got around the reading the acronym.

Edited by BirdSpirit

Black over black is impossible to see at a glance though, which was the point I was trying to make. The point is to create the letter so that it is of a contrasting color to the egg so that a person with any kind of colorblindness can make it out. If the egg has multiple colors, then the acronym will be outlined.

Would this really be helpful though? The colorblind people will have to actually read each acronym instead of taking a snapshot in their head and finding the color of egg they want. Any rares would be well gone by the time they got around the reading the acronym.

It's still quicker than someone totally eyeballing it. And I'm sure it will become used for the colorblind that the acronyms will be just like seeing the regular egg, and they will click it fast, too. Just like how we learned how to speedclick. I'm sure they can do the same when they get adjusted to it.

To my knowledge, there are 3 main of color blindness. (Some rarer forms exist)

1) Red-Green (1 in 25)

2) Red-Blue (1 in 400)

3) Total (1 in 100,000+)

Red-Greens have trouble telling the difference between red and green. Red and blue is respective. Total colorblinded people see only in tones of gray. This is extremely rare.

Colorblindness is more common in men, as colorblind genes are on x chromosomes.

I hope this helps, and I hope it gets implemented.

Edited by thegreenrobby

I'm not sure if any colorblind person has posted here yet, but if not, it sure would help if they did to let us know their thoughts.

I can't remember if I've posted here before (I know I typed out a response but I don't think i posted it), but I really support this.

I'm aware. It may be quicker, but quicker is pointless if it is still not quick enough. If you wanted commons then sure, but it still wouldn't help catch rares. D:

Oh and find the Flamingo!

user posted image

Edited by BirdSpirit

I can see colors enough that i can tell the eggs apart, but only because of weird tricks i use. For example, I tell pebbles, mints and canopies apart by:

canopy is slightly blue on the bottom right

mint is just bright.. something.

pebbles are green, i can see green in that shade.

im not sure this is something that would be helpful for me. I do best on a white background for telling colors apart.

EDIT: since i know it will come up: I can see colors, i cant see shades. I see things like blue-green or turquoise as either blue or green, not both. I dont see brown, i see dark red. I see green, yellow, red, pink.. basic solid colors but i cant see the inbetween ones. I rate colors by how red, how yellow how blue they are. I am utterly useless in the red-yellow range.. orange is a mystery to me.

Edited by Thuban

I'm aware. It may be quicker, but quicker is pointless if it is still not quick enough. If you wanted commons then sure, but it still wouldn't help catch rares. D:

Oh and find the Flamingo!

You have a point, but try to find that Flamingo without the letters... This is something that people would get used to over time and after seeing it over and over again. We're not used to seeing the letters so we can't quickly pick something out. ^^;

Do you possibly have another suggestion other than letters?

Edited by Windnose

EDIT: since i know it will come up: I can see colors, i cant see shades. I see things like blue-green or turquoise as either blue or green, not both. I dont see brown, i see dark red. I see green, yellow, red, pink.. basic solid colors but i cant see the inbetween ones. I rate colors by how red, how yellow how blue they are. I am utterly useless in the red-yellow range.. orange is a mystery to me.

Just curious, what color do you see Shallow Waters and Magis as?

This is something that people would get used to over time and after seeing it over and over again. We're not used to seeing the letters so we can't quickly pick something out. ^^;

This is what I was trying to say.

I can see colors enough that i can tell the eggs apart, but only because of weird tricks i use. For example, I tell pebbles, mints and canopies apart by:

canopy is slightly blue on the bottom right

mint is just bright.. something.

pebbles are green, i can see green in that shade.

im not sure this is something that would be helpful for me. I do best on a white background for telling colors apart.

Your eyes aren't truly colorblind; you just lack shade detection.

Well thats difficult. I can see the difference between pink and flamingo. Flamingo is a weird reddish color and has a different shading style (theres a spot in the middle of the eggs that stand out)

I can see the benifits of acronyms, however, there are entirely way too many breeds for anyone to be able to hunt that way effectively in any short period of time. I find weird quirks on each egg and use those as my identifer. For example: spitfires, geodes and pinks are very very flat to me, and since i can make out the colors (and if i couldnt i can make out patterns tongue.gif) if im on the search for those, i focus on flat images. Gold Wyvern eggs are very.. bumpy looking. the swirly shading in the middle catches my eye.

if you were going to focus on colors.. white font is probably best, with red or green for the lighter colors. The point is it should be eye twitching contrast to those who can see the colors. neon green on red eye twitching tongue.gif in most cases i imagine the contrast would stand out.

birdspirit: magi: eye twitching yellow shallows spotted yellowish red.

Edited by Thuban

You have a point, but try to find that Flamingo without the letters... This is something that people would get used to over time and after seeing it over and over again. We're not used to seeing the letters so we can't quickly pick something out. ^^;

Do you possibly have another suggestion other than letters?

But again, I'm asking if it would actually help catch rares. Its easier to take time to learn to recognize the image rather than read each letter.

It's not a matter of not being used to seeing the letters. The brain just does not function that way. It can only read the words you are staring at. Staring at an image on the other hand allows you to process the entire thing and pick out the color you are looking for. You will never be able to pick something out as quickly as looking at just the image.

For example..................................................................................STARE AT THIS AREA

Now keep staring at the area and try to read what the word below is:

BLUE CONE

See? It's impossible. The fastest way a color blind person would be able to find an egg is by skimming the letters, but it is still much slower than looking for the image.

Edited by BirdSpirit

But again, I'm asking if it would actually help catch rares. Its easier to take time to learn to recognize the image rather than read each letter.

How often do you see rares go through the AP though? And when you do see them, it's nearly impossible for anyone to catch it because everyone wants it. I see your point about it not helping catch rares, but it will at least help the colorblind catch commons and uncommons. Plus, it's an optional feature. If some colorblind users decide to not use it because they prefer recognizing the small differences in the images then that's fine. But I still think it should be an option for those who need/want it. Heck, I can see perfectly fine and I'd still probably use this in the AP occasionally (I have my moments.. >.>).

And I still think that if someone used the letters for long enough, they'd be able to pick out the letters they weren't used to scanning over fairly quickly. mellow.gif

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I don't see how your example applies to this situation. >.<

Edited by Windnose

How often do you see rares go through the AP though? And when you do see them, it's nearly impossible for anyone to catch it because everyone wants it. I see your point about it not helping catch rares, but it will at least help the colorblind catch commons and uncommons. Plus, it's an optional feature. If some colorblind users decide to not use it because they prefer recognizing the small differences in the images then that's fine. But I still think it should be an option for those who need/want it. Heck, I can see perfectly fine and I'd still probably use this in the AP occasionally (I have my moments.. >.>).

And I still think that if someone used the letters for long enough, they'd be able to pick out the letters they weren't used to scanning over fairly quickly. mellow.gif

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I don't see how your example applies to this situation. >.<

I never said it wasn't helpful. The majority of us can agree on that. I'm just wondering helpful to what degree though? It might not be implemented since it would be used in just the AP. If someone grabs the wrong egg, then they can chuck it back. It's the same situation as with the eggs that have very similar colors. Some people were worried they wouldn't be able to make out the Silvers. The solution was just to chuck it back if you happened to click the wrong one and "Oh well" if you didn't catch it.

A colorblind person would be able to improve on scanning the letters overtime, but only to a certain degree. My example applies because they might not be able to catch a tinsel in a corner because they need to read the actual letter to recognize it. On the other hand, someone who was going by color would see it instantly.

On the other hand, someone who was going by color would see it instantly.

Only if you can actually see the colors. Which is why this suggetion is meant for colorblind people (or people who can't see all the colors).

Your eyes aren't truly colorblind; you just lack shade detection.

... What? Color blindness is a broad term to define anyone that has problems distinguishing certain colors. Thu does; therefore, she is colorblind. There are varying degrees of colorblindness, some more severe than others, but not having the severest case does not indicate a lack of colorblindess. Actually, total color blindness, seeing only in black and white, is rather uncommon. Most color blind people won't be totally colorblind.

Not sure how helpful it would be, since colorblindness varies so widely. Sure, it might help some colorblind people but not all. Corteo's idea would be useful for some too and not others. It's hard to come up with a blanket way that would help everyone in this case.

I can see the benifits of acronyms, however, there are entirely way too many breeds for anyone to be able to hunt that way effectively in any short period of time. I find weird quirks on each egg and use those as my identifer. For example: spitfires, geodes and pinks are very very flat to me, and since i can make out the colors (and if i couldnt i can make out patterns tongue.gif) if im on the search for those, i focus on flat images. Gold Wyvern eggs are very.. bumpy looking. the swirly shading in the middle catches my eye.

if you were going to focus on colors.. white font is probably best, with red or green for the lighter colors. The point is it should be eye twitching contrast to those who can see the colors. neon green on red eye twitching tongue.gif in most cases i imagine the contrast would stand out.

poking this only because it was actual advice for trying to make it stand out for those who dont see the colors. I can only offer advice based on how i know i see things, and for me, eye twitching combos do stand out. My eyes still twitch for those combos.

if you are sticking to text: bold letters in a clashing color. you could choose your clashing colors by accounting for the individual "classic" types of colorblindness.

For example: my father in law is fully red/green colorblind. I have spent time talking to him about the way he sees colors. He knows when things are darker or lighter, but he cant tell you the color hes looking at. for him a blue or white overlay would probably be best.

Just gave him a call and asked him what he would consider helpful: He says if he states at things long enough, he can figure out what colors things are. His example is: if he's driving down the street and theres a stop sign, with a big bush behind it, it all blends together, but if he stares at it, he can figure them out. It depends on the surroundings around said colors.

Am I very thick - I am not colourblind, I realise - but wouldn't acryonyms in black on white or white on black be the clearest of all ?

My grandfather used to say he saw everything as brown. I have no idea how he could say that if they were all the same colour, but...

Am I very thick - I am not colourblind, I realise - but wouldn't acryonyms in black on white or white on black be the clearest of all ?

My grandfather used to say he saw everything as brown. I have no idea how he could say that if they were all the same colour, but...

you learn to associate the shades you see with the colors people tell you they are. I can pick out colors because i spent forever as a kid drawing lines on paper, sorting the colors based on how i saw them into rainbows and then reading the crayon colors to learn what each color was. I actually have a pic of the way i sort my crayons because i still sort them every time i buy a pack tongue.gif

user posted image

those are sorted by darkest to lightest in what makes the most logical sense to me for what might be a rainbow based on how they look on paper. Start from bottom left and snake up.. (left to right, up a row, right to left) There is NO red in that box... lol

Black font on top of an image is evil. White is fine until you get to the white eggs.. or lighter colors. Then you need a dark clashing color.

Edited by Thuban

OK - I bow to your actual knowledge. My mother can distinguish the colours of snooker balls on a black and white TV, actually, so I suppose...

But I was thinking more that if you opt for this, the page would change so much that you could easily just have white egg shapes with black text or vice versa ?

(and yes that's pretty much a rainbow - well done smile.gif)

OK - I bow to your actual knowledge. My mother can distinguish the colours of snooker balls on a black and white TV, actually, so I suppose...

But I was thinking more that if you opt for this, the page would change so much that you could easily just have white egg shapes with black text or vice versa ?

(and yes that's pretty much a rainbow - well done smile.gif)

yea, i can pick out yellow red and blue and green on black and white tv. Its fun. I encourage people to watch tv in b&w for a day. You'll be surprised how much more detail you make out once you forget its not in color.

As for the eggs: actually if you went for straight white eggs with black font, it would work. strctly white with black outline and text would be best.. but i still worry about the sheer number of acronyms needed sad.gif