stogucheme

Accessibility Option for Eggs

Which style do you like best? (1st post)  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think CB-mode needs to be enforced across scrolls, but if someone who's colorblind wants to use it on their scroll, it would be nice if we had acronyms (or symbols, or whatever) available for eggs like the GoN that don't ever appear in the AP.

I think that's the thrust of stogucheme's suggestion, anyway.

That's what I said earlier. A bunch of brand new symbols would probably be more confusing than a bunch of letters/symbols that people are already familiar with.

Also, some artists were arguing against modifying the eggs with letters. (Hence the different options in letter positions) They might be more against modifying the eggs with actual images...

Well, fend for your idea. You could even have the artist make it, just like we do in those holiday collect thingies.

(Okay, haven't checked your list for this, but I should have added that BB and Bb counts as a repeat too. We might go with all caps letters.)

Seawyrms don't have an acronym?

Anyway, the Dinos have the letter and exclamation point instead of two letters because they're not dragons- I've considered doing this for Chickens, Papers, and Cheeses as well.

The Seasonals have S in front because they're part of the same series, like Stripes.

I did avoid using 'different caps same letters' duplicates, though. All the acronyms I thought up can have the case changed willy-nilly, no probs.

I must've missed the seawyrm as I was scrolling down the list.

The exclamation point rankled with me, though if you were to do it with all the differents: splits, pygmies, chickens, cheeses and papers, it wouldnt be such a sore thumb. However, my personal preference still leans toward letterèd acronyms.

--- I'd advise against exclamation points though because of the connotation, Re. that I'd stay away from brackets, ! @ $ ^ ? also because of the 'sense' that comes across with the symbol. A whole lot of fuss over nothing? Perhaps, but would you like to imply that $P pygmy is $valuable$ , or that ?P pygmy is ?something unknown? # % & * ~ = seem fine though.

The seasonals issue was pointed out; There are already tonnes of acronyms that start with S. Take a look at the spreadsheet stogucheme Coronaviridae *facepalm* posted, scroll down to S and you may see why my second column 'alternates' seemed less cumbersome to me.

The one on my site is a bit more out of date, this^ one is updated heaps and you can compare other people's ideas at the same time.

I think I covered all response there?

Unless you'd rather mark the seasonals with a sun, maple leaf, snowflake, flower tongue.gif

Edited by loudwhitenoise

Popping back in to say that I like a lot of olympe's ideas and suggestions. BBW's for example - players already call them BBW's, so this would be an easy switch. Lowercase for pygmies is also cute.

Pasting something like thisuser posted image on the correct dragon wouldn't be bad right? It would probably hafta be grey though.

Coming up with a clear image that people can tell what it is without color or with a color that looks wrong for every single dragon is going to be a pain and, in the end, isn't going to be worth it, I think.

Popping back in to say that I like a lot of olympe's ideas and suggestions. BBW's for example - players already call them BBW's, so this would be an easy switch. Lowercase for pygmies is also cute.

Coming up with a clear image that people can tell what it is without color or with a color that looks wrong for every single dragon is going to be a pain and, in the end, isn't going to be worth it, I think.

Not really, just choose the strong png that is associated with that dragon.

For seasons you would have 4 leafs in all the corners or something.

Back to letters, what happens when too many dragon initials start to conflict?

Not really, just choose the strong png that is associated with that dragon.

For seasons you would have 4 leafs in all the corners or something.  

Back to letters, what happens when too many dragon initials start to conflict?

What do you mean, choose the strong one that's associated with the dragon? Would fire be okay for red or hellfire or spitfire? How would you differentiate between a grey and a daydream if people can't really see colors? Or a grey/thunder/electric-if you make a thundercloud for thunder it gets associated with the greys...I also see potential confusion between the glories and the sunset/sunrises, they both have the day/night different "breed" thing going between them. Too much overlap, even more than the acronyms, I think. I don't think dragon initials will go to the point where it will start to conflict, and if it does, I think we can work something out, like putting numbers or something. But pictures? No. A waterdrop can be a bluna/water/coastal waverunner/deepsea at once. I do not like this confusion.

Not all of them have pictures associated with them. Gold? What are you going to do, little gold bars? How would that not overlap with golden wyverns? How would you assign a png for pink and purple, whose only description and so the associations with them are the colors themselves?

Not to mention, a lot of the original artists have gone away so we can't really ask them to make pictures. They might also be unhappy at the prospect of their egg being modified with an image. Also, it might take longer to load.

I'm not in favor of making little pictures at all.

Edited by ylangylang

There's about 100 images you're going to have to make just for the dragons we have now. Images with clear distinctions from each other that can be done as small as needed. That's just not going to work. It's more work in the long run. Letters can easily be mixed, there can be numbers, symbols, capitals, etc. A lot easier.

I do wish there was a better solution than either images or pictures, but there's not really that I can think of. The only other thing I can think of would be to have no egg image showing and instead within that space to put the dragons name in or a shorthand of the dragon's name. People easily enough hunt the cave by looking for specific words to reflex-click, but that's a small space and the text may have to be warped to fit or etc and would be hard to read. Also unsure of the coding it would take - if they'd all have to be done as images or there's a better solution.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Um. For those worried about running out of acronyms, two letters out of 26: 26*26 = 676 breeds, not including those with symbols. We'll figure out a new system by then, I figure. The only thing I'm actually worried about is when we get to 2108 and what we'll do with the holidays. But again, that'll be years out.

I did avoid using 'different caps same letters' duplicates, though. All the acronyms I thought up can have the case changed willy-nilly, no probs.

I must've missed the seawyrm as I was scrolling down the list.

The exclamation point rankled with me, though if you were to do it with all the differents: splits, pygmies, chickens, cheeses and papers, it wouldnt be such a sore thumb. However, my personal preference still leans toward letterèd acronyms.

--- I'd advise against exclamation points though because of the connotation,  Re. that I'd stay away from brackets, ! @ $ ^ ? also because of the 'sense' that comes across with the symbol. A whole lot of fuss over nothing? Perhaps, but would you like to imply that $P pygmy is $valuable$ , or that ?P pygmy is ?something unknown?  # % & * ~ = seem fine though.

The seasonals issue was pointed out; There are already tonnes of acronyms that start with S. Take a look at the spreadsheet stogucheme posted, scroll down to S and you may see why my second column 'alternates' seemed less cumbersome to me.

The one on my site is a bit more out of date, this^ one is updated heaps and you can compare other people's ideas at the same time.

I think I covered all response there?

Unless you'd rather mark the seasonals with a sun, maple leaf, snowflake, flower tongue.gif

Great! That works!

I actually like the symbol suggestion for the Pygmies. That or making them lowercase, but lowercase is harder to read...

I don't think the exclamation points are a problem, though. Setting that debate aside a moment (I don't care if they're changed to * or # or etc.), what if we had this? (I'll add them to that spreadsheet.)

Dinos: B*, Y*, G*, P*, R*

Splits: 2~

Pygmies: O~, S~, F~, M~, N~, D~

Chicken: C*

Cheese: C~

Paper: P~

Should we add one for Drakes, Neglecteds, and GoNs? Because as I have it set up, non-dragons have * and unbreedables/PB dragons have ~.

Er- I'm not the one that posted the list (though thanks to the person that did!). Anyway, I guess it's okay to change it; it just bugs me that if every other breed that has different eggs is going to be in a pattern, I'd kinda like that to be in a pattern as well.

NO. No images. I'm really against those- I think they'll just make the problem worse, as Sock has pointed out.

Edited by stogucheme

There's about 100 images you're going to have to make just for the dragons we have now. Images with clear distinctions from each other that can be done as small as needed. That's just not going to work. It's more work in the long run. Letters can easily be mixed, there can be numbers, symbols, capitals, etc. A lot easier.

I do wish there was a better solution than either images or pictures, but there's not really that I can think of. The only other thing I can think of would be to have no egg image showing and instead within that space to put the dragons name in or a shorthand of the dragon's name. People easily enough hunt the cave by looking for specific words to reflex-click, but that's a small space and the text may have to be warped to fit or etc and would be hard to read. Also unsure of the coding it would take - if they'd all have to be done as images or there's a better solution.

Actually, using just a part of the name above or as a replace of the egg isn't such a bad idea.

I don't know if I'd want to see the full name of the dragons. It's sorta the same reason why there is an elemental periodica table. Shorthand for long names to convey the same message quickly. I can't imaging seeing "Bright-Brested Wyverns" " Coatal Waverunners" "Gold-horned Tangers" and "Spotted Greenwings" in tiny letters in the AP over and over and over... (I picked long named dragons for the effect.)

-But you already stated the main problems so..Any other ideas, any one?

(I'm trying to figure out other ways of distinguishing things myself, but all I can think of is going into different senses, like tactile, which is impossible with our level of technology, or sound, which would take too long to load.

- Oh and I also, just thought of listing the eggs by color/pattern, but that has the same problem as listing them by name, too many/too long word with not eonugh room to use.)

Edited by Shokomon

I don't know if I'd want to see the full name of the dragons. It's sorta the same reason why there is an elemental periodica table. Shorthand for long names to  convey the same message quickly. I can't imaging seeing "Bright-Brested Wyverns" " Coatal Waverunners" "Gold-horned Tangers" and "Spotted Greenwings" in tiny letters in the AP over and over and over... (I picked long named dragons for the effect.)

(I'm trying to figure out other ways of distinguishing things myself, but all I can think of is going into different senses, like tactile, which is impossible with our level of technology, or sound, which would take too long to load.

- Oh and I also, just thought of listing the eggs by color/pattern, but that has the same problem as listing them by name, too many/too long word with not eonugh room to use.)

Well it could by "BBWyverns" "Waverunner" "Tangers" "Greenwing".

Though we do have only 26 linear pixels to work with above the egg.

user posted image

The size for waverunner in my post was 60 pixels wide.

user posted image

The size for the time below the egg was 88 pixels wide.

So I think with the small font I used, while restricting the maxium letters to nine, should suffice.

Edited by Kirbyburn

Well it could by "BBWyverns" "Waverunner" "Tangers" "Greenwing".

user posted image

user posted image

So I think with the small font I used, while restricting the maxium letters to nine, should suffice.

I can't read those unless I go up close. I think this is a no-go.

I don't know if I'd want to see the full name of the dragons. It's sorta the same reason why there is an elemental periodica table. Shorthand for long names to convey the same message quickly. I can't imaging seeing "Bright-Brested Wyverns" " Coatal Waverunners" "Gold-horned Tangers" and "Spotted Greenwings" in tiny letters in the AP over and over and over... (I picked long named dragons for the effect.)

Well it could by "BBWyverns"  "Waverunner"  "Tangers"  "Greenwing".

user posted image

user posted image

Yeah, I was thinking as shorthand as we could go (BBW, tangar, waverun, etc.) and perhaps a square box about the size of an egg that could be filled up (so it could be:

wave

run

instead of

waverunner)

but that still has the space issues and reading issues and eyes wigging out and stuff. D:

I rather like the idea of a periodic table of sorts for dragons. It's rather easy to memorize abbreviations, I think. :3

As for the poll, I like olympe's the best because the text isn't over the eggs themselves, which helps me since I'm also legally blind. That's why I can't say I prefer any of the other options.

I can't read those unless I go up close. I think this is a no-go.

How are you reading the regular forum text?

I only went down one size.

Anyway.

user posted image <image

Regular size is still 78 pixels with 5 extra on each side.

user posted image

Using the cave's font.

Edited by Kirbyburn

So does anyone have an opinions on Sock's suggestion, pictured in my post above, because I've been kinda curious to know if this could be a better idea versus painful symbol memorization.

So does anyone have an opinions on Sock's suggestion, pictured in my post above, because I've been kinda curious to know if this could be a better idea versus painful symbol memorization.

I honestly don't like it.

Nor do I. Symbol memorization isn't particularly painful if there's a mnemonic device associated with it, which is what we're trying to do by making sure there's a logic behind all the abbreviations.

Nor do I. Symbol memorization isn't particularly painful if there's a mnemonic device associated with it, which is what we're trying to do by making sure there's a logic behind all the abbreviations.

What if you're not go at memorizing? So I gotta start making up phrases to remember the dragon names instead of just reading "White" "Wave" "Spitfre" "Geo" and so on?

If you're not good at memorizing, how do you hunt for certain eggs in the cave? Also, how are you going to put something like "golden wyvern", "yellow dino", "shallow water" or "dark myst pygmy" over an egg without extending the sprite? (Especially pygmy eggs...)

What if you're not go at memorizing?  So I gotta start making up phrases to remember the dragon names instead of just reading "White" "Wave" "Spitfre" "Geo" and so on?

user posted image

Seems pretty clear which is which, it's not that hard to memorize and to be frank, this is a thread for the colorblind. And unless you're colorblind, you won't use this feature.

If you're not good at memorizing, how do you hunt for certain eggs in the cave?

This.

Also, how are you going to put something like "golden wyvern", "yellow dino", "shallow water" or "dark myst pygmy" over an egg without extending the sprite? (Especially pygmy eggs...)

Can think of other example such as bright-breasted wyverns, gold-horned tangars, swallowtails, and so on.

I do have a question though-how would that periodic chart help you to distinguish between different-colored same-species dragons? Ex: ridgewings, dorsals, stripes, etc...

Edited by ylangylang

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zqqx5j.png

[...]

I do have a question though-how would that periodic chart help you to distinguish between different-colored same-species dragons? Ex: ridgewings, dorsals, stripes, etc...

If you'll check out that chart, you might notice that Purple Dorsals are PD and Red Dorsals are RD. Purple Ridgewings are PR and Tan Ridgewings are TR. Etc., etc.

Actually, I do find a full word easier to pick out than an acronym(like when you cave hunt, many pick out a single word like glow). Looking at that chart, and other examples that have been posted, I know I have had trouble picking out certain eggs, where I didn't before. Maybe others would be better at it, but I do see a benefit in the full word, rather than the acronym.

And I will state that I don't like symbols for pygmies. Yes, we don't have many right now, but future releases must be considered. What if there is another pygmy released that begins in an N? Adding a second letter with the symbol would make for a fairly long acronym.

Edited by Nectaris