Cinnamin Draconna

Choosing where to send abandoned eggs..

Would you like to have a choice about where you send your abandoned eggs?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can't really speak for other people, thought. I collect Nocturnes and don't give a crap about lineage, so yeah, actually I might have *wanted* that egg. You can't say no one wants it, because you don't know.

Well, would you or wouldn't you? If you do, let me know, I can make you plenty.

Edited by Amut un Rama

I voted yes, but actually, I don't know if it'd really be a good thing...

You can pick up eggs that, at the first glance, aren't pretty, but some people could want them.

As an example, I picked up this failbreed http://dragcave.net/lineage/DfK8r the other day, and was very happy about it, but if the person who bred it had te choice, maybe they'd have sent it to wilderness and I never would have gotten it.

If you want to breed ugly lined metallics, to the point that their common progeny would never be wanted by anyone, then get rid of the egg yourself, or don't breed them ! I don't breed my ugly gold, and the only times I do it, and don't get what I want, I bite the egg, to be sure it won't breed.

I think it would be nice for people to have an option of sending eggs they disastrously misbred or the common results of ugly-lineaged metallics or whatever to the Wilderness.

I don't breed my longest/messiest-lineaged metallics because I'm lucky enough to have better, and the same with my Tinsels, but I've made a few nasty errors owing to the lack of lineage links on the breeding page, and I hate dumping yukkies on the AP, if less than I do having them take up breeding/catching space I need, on my scroll.

But for those endlessly breeding 'scrambled-lineage eggs' from their only Gold, this might really be a saving grace.

Edit: it's not as though we'll ever run short of lengthy/messy/inbred lineages for those who say they like them, but this might reduce their numbers a bit and increase the chances of better appearing that more people are likely to find useful.

Re-edit: Cinnamin Draconna, regarding your comment: "...some folk breed to 'blocker breeds' because they are more likely to get eggs.. ..."

As we both recall, although newer people mightn't, people used to breed Mints to Golds for that reason, and passed many Mints to the AP as a result.

They ARE more likely to get eggs - blocker breed eggs - but are not more likely to get metallics or other hard-to-get sprites subject to lower ratios, and if they were aware of this, they might not do that, lol.

(That hope of blossoming awareness being why I'm posting this.)

Edited by Syphoneira

(That hope of blossoming awareness being why I'm posting this.)

I'm sorry - but it is to giggle.... xd.png

And of course MOST players are not on forum and will have no idea about any of this (thinks of grandson who picks up ANY balloon he sees ANYWHERE and breeds them like mad. Half his dragons are balloons. Of course, he doesn't dump them (that I know of) but I guess he might if he got a non-balloon...)

Edited (and again...) for typefail. Who was it said they were typefail queen ? I win.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The thing is, a lot of DCers don't use the Forums. So most of the time, they don't realize that they are breeding 'junk' eggs. I know that before I joined the forums, I didn't give a diddly squat about lineages. So, while this may be useful, most of the people who are breeding these 'junk' eggs won't use it, as they don't realize that they are 'junk'.

Also,

The suggestion as I intend it, allows breeders to send fresh bred failbreeds straight to the Wilderness... AND... allows AP hunters to send 'junk' eggs they find on the AP to the Wilderness also.

This I don't like. This is what users were doing to 'junk' eggs using Bite and Earthquake. Taking all the eggs THEY didn't like and killing them. Just because you don't like a particular egg, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. The messy lineaged eggs in the AP don't stay there forever. Eventually someone picks them up and raises them, because they don't care about the lineage and they want that egg.

I think taking an egg and getting rid of it just because you don't like it is, in a way, controlling how others play. Because you don't want it, no one else can have it.

So, long story short. The only way I would support this is if you only had this option on eggs you bred. And like I said, I still don't think it would help much.

I voted against this because I don't like the idea of people using it to choose what's available for *other people* to pick up from the AP. No one is forced to pick up eggs they don't want, and they shouldn't be able to say, "I don't want this egg, but I don't think anybody else should have it, either." Let other people decide for themselves which eggs they want.

There are already numerous ways to deal with eggs if you don't want to abandon them or keep them for yourself: kill, bite, neglect, freeze & release, grow to adulthood and release. Sure, there's a certain amount of inconvenience to each of these methods, but if you really feel that strongly about not abandoning that egg, you can put up with the inconvenience.

If you want to breed your messy metals and tinsels and not risk getting a messy common egg instead, breed them with event dragons, frills, or geodes. Then you'll only ever get the metal or tinsel and not have to worry about disposing of unwanted eggs.

I agree with this so at one time I had two vampire eggs they hatched into hatchlings and one gendered male one gendered female, I decided to abandon them because I don't like vampires (I found the eggs on the AP) but I abandoned both of them and I still had the link because every hatchling and dragon I abandon I save the link so the male grew up and the female didn't and stayed a hatchling so I thought who would freeze it? Now I just wished I waited for the female to grow to an adult and I could have released it instead.

female:

male:

~Removed~ Please do not post other members eggs/hatchlings/dragons.

Edited by _Z_

I don't support this. People really need to stop trying to fix the AP, as it works *just fine* the way it is. Stopping some blocker eggs from dropping wouldn't do anything, as what would happen would be the eggs' time going way up, and, there would still be blockers.

As I've had to say to so many other threads before, blockers are an inevitability. There is no reasonable way to make them appear less, because, as I've said before, "to be rare, rares must be rare." I wish some of you would have the critical thinking ability to realize that you can't just stop maybe 100 blocker eggs a day from entering the AP and expect so many more rares and desirables to pop up, it just doesn't work that way.

Anyway, this would basically be like walking into the middle of a forest and putting an egg down. It's really irresponsible and is basically just like condemning the egg to death, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because you might think that these breed fails will live out their lives as cool dragons, but it's more likely that they'll die as eggs.

Also, as several others ave said, the whole idea kinda just rubs me the wrong way. It seems like an attitude of "If I don't want this, no one can have it!" (AKA very selfish and inconsiderate)

Edited by Oasis

Wow! Old thread, but one I still agree with.

After rereading all the replies, I agree that this should be a breeder only option. This option should only be available when the egg is first bred. I see now that allowing the option on AP catches 'could' cause unwanted problems if someone decides to be spiteful.

BUT, as the breeder of a particular egg, I do believe that I should have the option to send what I personally consider a reject straight to the Wilderness. I'm breeding for specific reasons and for specific results, and fails don't fit those requirements. Personal projects are just that; PERSONAL and sending eggs to the AP means it's not personal any more, because no one can control what happens to eggs sent to the AP.

The Kill button never failed me for controlling where I want my unwanted eggs to go. And as far as ratios are concerned, a dead egg and an egg grown in the wilderness are the same.

I'd say this isn't worth the development time, at the very least.

On top of that, one man's trash is another man's treasure. You do not dictate the definition of a "junk" egg as every single egg will eventually be appreciated no matter how "bad" you think they are, barring Knight Templers taking what they think are junk eggs and killing them. So that's a double-no from me.

Another no from me. There are other ways to get rid of eggs and/or stop dragons from reproducing. Kill, freeze, bite, etc. There will never be a way to stop "worthless" eggs from being abandoned. I say this as a collector and lover of pretty lineages: I do NOT want messy eggs gone. I personally love failed metals, prizes, etc. If I breed an egg I don't want, I'd at least want someone to enjoy it. If it's that important to you that no one else get your eggs, kill them.

I'd rather not. One person's junk is another person's treasure (I know I've gotten some lovely rare / metal fail checkers in the AP), I can see haughty types sending all their leftover Holidays from special breedings to the wilderness because how DARE the common folk get any, and last but not least, I think the eggs in the AP are often low time enough that they get moved along swiftly anyway. If an alternate solution was really needed, I'd rather eggs exposed but not taken for a certain amount of time (15 minutes?) either lose time or be auto-killed (maybe justified by 'exposure to the elements'). That way the real junk either becomes more desirable or is removed, while things that might not have a lot of trade worth but are still quite nice have a chance to be picked up.

I've also heard that wilderness things don't count towards the ratios, in which case I'm even more against it. Sending a few blockers to the AP is much less worse an outcome, in my opinion, than continually sending them to the wilderness so that everyone else stays in can't-breed-nothing-but-commons hell forever x___x

A strong no from me. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Like others have said, if you really don't want it blocking the AP then kill it, freeze it, bite it, or just don't breed it.

gonna say no here. Some people don't care about how messy a lineage is.

I mean, I have two alts I love, despite how messy they are. Their parents were from the AP. (Except the cb vine)

If those eggs were tossed into the wilderness, I would have never gotten those two pretties.

I'm not sure why this thread was resurrected now. The AP is much less of a problem than it used to be. I find lots of good eggs there and even the fugly ones get taken if the time is low enough. What one person does not want, someone else is glad to have. I have to say no to this.

If you mistakenly breed something like an awful inbred that you don't want to abandon for fear that someone will breed it and make more messies, then you always have the option of biting or killing it, or hatch it and then release it. But mostly it seems very arrogant to me to decide what eggs other people should have made available to them if they want them.

I'd rather not. One person's junk is another person's treasure (I know I've gotten some lovely rare / metal fail checkers in the AP), I can see haughty types sending all their leftover Holidays from special breedings to the wilderness because how DARE the common folk get any...

I never even thought of that. Awful idea - but probably true...

Vehement no from me, for reasons stated prior.

Choosing to send your pretties to a place where other people can't get them just because they weren't the breed you wanted is the pinnacle of arrogance, if you ask me.

When I read the first post, my reaction was "Sure, why not?" until I read, on a different topic, someone going on the "value" of some eggs. That made me think... What if the owners of those and other "valuable" eggs just drop the offsprings in the wilderness so nobody else can get them? So, regretfully, I can't agree even if I understand the point of view of the OP.

Just wanted to post a bit of a disclaimer here after seeing some other posts: I do get where the OP is coming from (they were actually thinking of people hunting the AP more than the breeders--they figured hunters wouldn't want to go through a thousand breedfail rejects, which can often be true), but at the same time I feel the potential negatives of people choosing to throw things that really are nice into the wilderness because they don't want them going to people for free / don't think they're worthy / already had the option turned on and forgot / etc etc outweigh the potential positives of people sending really ugly things where we won't have to root through them.

Besides, I feel like most thoughtful breeders wouldn't be breeding really ugly things in the first place; if something is ugly, even a metal or rare from that line is probably going to be extremely low value itself, so why bother? The most such people are probably sending to the AP is low gen metalfails, which while hardly the most exciting thing to find in the AP (with the exception of really low gen ones / pretty patterns), aren't really what I'd call junk eggs either.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Back in 2012, when this thread was created, wasn't the AP still blocking the Cave when it filled up?

And without low-time/ER eggs, either; just lots of full-time messies which nobody wanted or had room for, which were also too-often blocking CB Commons, pretty lineages and other desirable eggs from even appearing.

Hunting became often a boring chore - and then TJ fixed it.

The AP is no longer a problem preventing Cave-hunting, just a fun place to search for typically lower-time eggs for whichever ones you could use.

At least it was 7 months ago, before I lost internet until Halloween evening.

Has it changed, at non-Holiday times?

Or did, as it would appear, someone just resurrect an years-old thread without realizing it?

@ Syphoneira - no, nothing about the AP has changed recently, which is why I was questioning why this thread was bumped back up. The time on eggs in the AP tends to fluctuate. If lots of them get picked up, then the times get higher, but as they do people tend to hold off picking them up until the times get lower again. Always the times are lower than eggs from the biomes and you can often find CBs of the common, or even somewhat less common, eggs as well as nice lineages. I don't see this "fix" as being needed at all at the present time. As you say, the AP today is a much different place than it was two years ago when it used to block the cave drops.

@ Syphoneira - no, nothing about the AP has changed recently, which is why I was questioning why this thread was bumped back up. The time on eggs in the AP tends to fluctuate. If lots of them get picked up, then the times get higher, but as they do people tend to hold off picking them up until the times get lower again. Always the times are lower than eggs from the biomes and you can often find CBs of the common, or even somewhat less common, eggs as well as nice lineages. I don't see this "fix" as being needed at all at the present time. As you say, the AP today is a much different place than it was two years ago when it used to block the cave drops.

Absolutely. smile.gif Even when the AP has nothing but messies, when the time gets low enough, there is always a demand for low-time freeze fodder.

What is the one's trash, is the other's treasure, I'd say.

Voting for no.

Because the 'failbreed' I abandon, could be the mate/freezingfodder for the other.