AutumnStars

Past Generation Influence

It could work but, maybe you should make it that it can only go back 3 gens

~EDIT~

Maybe we should have another dragon have a BSA for this, because lots of people breed 2 dragons together hoping to get one of those.

Edited by ozys

I had started a new post for this but then was linked to this one-- looks like the last comment was in 2013.

I really still support this idea and would love to see it enacted.

I hope me commenting on the thread can bring more attention to this??

A BSA would be interesting. Though there would need to be some way to prevent Frills and Old Pinks from accidentally being bred. My understanding is that those are gone and never coming back. Which is kind of a shame ... that would be one thing I'd be really interested in breeding for.

Lineage patterns could get interesting, and quite stunning. I'd actually like to see a throwback lineage where something disappears then re-appears three or four generations later.

*shakes head* how times change..... Seeing as how both came back this Spring.

Anyway... I'm ambivalent about this. On the one hand, it would make for really interesting lineages. On the other hand.... a previous poster had this pegged:

It would almost always be used to try to get rares from fail breeds.

So.... Yea. I'll say I don't have a strong opinion either way at this point.

Cheers!

C4.

On the other hand.... a previous poster had this pegged:

It would almost always be used to try to get rares from fail breeds.

So.... Yea. I'll say I don't have a strong opinion either way at this point.

Cheers!

C4.

This suggestion wouldn't make rares less rare. Yes that is the result users would want, but it would be a very low chance. and lower the more different breeds are in a lineage. So actually less chance than breeding a rare with something else.

I don't do enough breeding to have much of an opinion on this. If it happens I'll look at all the new pretty lineage patterns that come out of it. If it doesn't, then that's not going to be much of a bother either.

This suggestion wouldn't make rares less rare. Yes that is the result users would want, but it would be a very low chance. and lower the more different breeds are in a lineage. So actually less chance than breeding a rare with something else.

cyradis can of course come in and clarify themselves, but I do not think that was their point at all.

I think the point was there are very few circumstances in which people are actually going to want past breeds to be popping up again in their dragon's offspring. So it's a suggestion with very little significance.

As for my own stance, I will add: we kind of have this with ultraviolets throwing back spitfires, and while it's a neat feature, it's not something I particularly want to see more of. As I said in my first post of this thread: If I'm breeding two dragons together, I'm breeding to produce one of them (except hybrids, which are a special case).

So while I don't think this would be gamebreaking (and there could possibly be neat lineage results, as you said), and I wouldn't be too bothered to actually see it implemented, I do not personally really want it nor see a huge point in implementing it.

Eh, no support. My biggest concern is that there's a good chance TJ will have to code a lot - and gain quite a few headaches from this - in order to have it work as intended. That aside, it sounds like there would be a chance to end up with a breed of dragon that is neither of its parents' breeds, but could be something further down the lineage, which doesn't really make sense to me... Yes, a thing in real life can develop features "obtained" from further down its lineage, but they're usually so subtle that they're more individual features, such as a change in eye color or a dislike of spicy food; applying this to dragons, I don't see how (using the example in the OP) a Black and a Marrow would suddenly end up with a Guardian, because that's a complete breed change and not something that would occur naturally. A slightly different scale color, or different-sized wings, those would make sense, but a breed change is too drastic. This logic does fly in the face of the in-cave hybrids on DC... Though for some reason they make more sense to me because they're a mixture of two breeds, rather than entirely new breeds (is how I see it), so the transition from the parent dragons to the egg has a smoother flow than " Oh, whoops, I ended up with an egg of Granddaddy's breed!", which is too sudden, in my opinion.

No from me because it sounds way too complicated for something that will be relevant to only a handful of players if at all, because for most part people breed two dragons together because they want one of the breed's offspring. Besides a lot of "lineages" that are produced are two breeds anyway so in that case it will anyway be redundant because there is no random dragon breed in ancestry.

I don't support this EXCEPT for hybrids - to throwback in the same way as UVs can throw spitters now. THAT could be useful and make for fun lineages. Otherwise - no thanks.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't support this EXCEPT for hybrids - to throwback in the same way as UVs can throw spitters now. THAT could be useful and make for fun lineages. Otherwise - no thanks.

Now, that is something I could get behind!

Imagine breeding hellhorse x hellhorse and getting 50% hellhorse, 25% horse and 25% hellfire offspring! biggrin.gif

However, I don't really need this feature, nor can I imagine this happening.

Regarding other "past generation influences", I'm not too fond of it. I looked at my old opinion way back from 2011, and it still stands:

I'm not too happy with the idea to complicate things. Sure, it would be great to breed two tinselfails and get a surprise tinsel, but it would open up a few other cans of worms:

- People would start breeding their common dragons with lots of rare ancestors in the hope of getting a rare. The problem is that this would produce countless commons, many of which would likely be dumped in the AP. This is quite the opposite to allowing rare x rare breeding, if you ask me.

- A common egg from a rare x rare breeding would happen much more often than a rare egg from a common x common breeding (due to ratios). This means that for every person who gets a rare surprise egg, there are several people who'll get a common surprise. In the end, this would pee off more people than not.

- Personally, I think we have enough elements of surprise already, with alts (black, vine and nebula - and even snow angels), color morphs (dorsals, stripes and ridgewings) and the breed-only or hybrid breeds (geode, bluna and shallow water), not to mention which gender we'll get. (Yes, I know about influence. But lately, two of my influences on tinsels have failed, so I'm not so sure of that any more.) There's also the element of "surprise, no egg" or even "surprise, refusal" that we have to take into account. However, this does not mean I'd oppose more breed-only or hybrid breeds, alts or color morphs, quite the contrary.