Dragonguy73

Roosters-Male Chickens

I slight bump for this with updated fried egg sprites:

user posted image /user posted image -> user posted image /user posted image

I lightened it and messed with the shading a little bit.

I'd love feedback on any of the sprites, the roosters or the eggs. Anything you can tell me helps. I know that the roosters need work, I'd appreciate specific critiques if people can give them.

Hmm, I almost feel like it looks too real. If you look at the dragons incave, they have a slightly cartoon look to then. Maybe dull down the shading? Other than that good job.

Hmm, I almost feel like it looks too real. If you look at the dragons incave, they have a slightly cartoon look to then. Maybe dull down the shading? Other than that good job.

How does this look:

user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

I removed a bunch of extra colors. I also changed the shape of the yolk slightly. If it still looks too realistic, let me know. I'll remove a color or two and dither more.

Edited by Vrack

I support adding roosters.  However, I don't think they should be able to breed.  And I'm also opposed to having chickens and roosters, and not having a breed option.  It's just too non-intuitive to have a male and a female of the same species and be unable to breed them together.  (Also, we'd eternally be getting suggestion/request threads about allowing them to breed.)

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg.  It was delicious."

This exactly. smile.gif

Since I haven't posted my opinion on this matter yet, I figured I would do so now. (EDIT: And of course, since I'm not going to read all 12 pages before me, if I sound ignorant just ignore meh.)

I can see why chickens in DC would be so rare a find in the cave, after all, any dragon that happens on one would probably want to eat it, lol. And it makes no sense to have an animal that so clearly is capable of breeding NOT breed on this site.

The phrase would only add to the comedy of this already intended-to-be comedic feature in the game while at the same time making it more realistic--that if there can be chickens running around then certainly there must be roosters about as well. Otherwise, if we start to take the raising and breeding of chickens too literally then people would start requesting next for cows, sheep, pigs, dogs, etc...the list goes on. We are not raising a farm here; we are raising dragons.

ADD: Sprites look good, by the way!

Edited by purplenewt

Bump for crits on old tail vs new tail?

Hen: user posted image(For reference)

"Red:" user posted image -> user posted image

Russet: user posted image -> user posted image

Brown: user posted image -> user posted image

Blue & Red: user posted image -> user posted image

Also maybe more crits on egg sprite?

Egg: user posted image(For size reference)

Edited by Vrack

That fried egg is looking very nice indeed! It really does look delicious. xd.png

My favourite rooster is the blue and red one.

Also support the badge idea!

But how would you earn the badge? Breeding a Rooster and a Hen 20 times?

I'd prefer the badge not be a fried egg. I made the fried egg sprite to match the size of the Chicken/Pygmy sized egg. While that's also pretty similar to the size of the trophies, I didn't design it for that. Instead, I'm willing to make a frying pan sprite of some kind specifically for the purpose of being the badge.

Edited by Vrack

I didn't read the whole thread, so I might be repeating stuff. I'm not sure I like the 1:10 chance that a chicken egg hatches male, chicken are rare-ish already and hard to catch for some users. How about roosters could be obtained by influencing a chicken egg to be male? They'd be female by default, but hatch as roosters if influenced male.

Also, 1:10 might be the ratio that works fine if you keep chicken, but they hatch 1:1. Male chicks are usually just killed right after hatching and made into pet food, or grown for 12 weeks and butchered then to be eaten by humans.

Also, love the idea they can breed, but we'd always eat the egg xd.png

I didn't read the whole thread, so I might be repeating stuff. I'm not sure I like the 1:10 chance that a chicken egg hatches male, chicken are rare-ish already and hard to catch for some users. How about roosters could be obtained by influencing a chicken egg to be male? They'd be female by default, but hatch as roosters if influenced male.

Also, 1:10 might be the ratio that works fine if you keep chicken, but they hatch 1:1. Male chicks are usually just killed right after hatching and made into pet food, or grown for 12 weeks and butchered then to be eaten by humans.

Also, love the idea they can breed, but we'd always eat the egg xd.png

Oh, that makes more sense. I just googled how many roosters there are per hen and found 1:10. I guess I didn't take into account the fact that that's only because extra male chickens get killed.

I guess the ratio should be 1:1 then, right?

---

Also, I made slight changes to the egg badge again:

user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

Edited by Vrack

Oh, that makes more sense. I just googled how many roosters there are per chicken and found 1:10. I guess I didn't take into account the fact that that's only because extra male chickens get killed.

I guess the ratio should be 1:1 then, right?

---

Also, I made slight changes to the egg badge again:

1:1 is the ratio they hatch from eggs in nature, yes. But as suggested above, why not keep females as the default, but make them influencable? Any opinions on that?

Love your egg sprites, by the way smile.gif

I really really like the idea of making them influenceable but keeping hen as default.

I like the lighter shading of the fried egg sprites. I think sometimes they should multi clutch, we get 2-4 eggs, and the text says "your chickens breed to produce some eggs. You enjoyed having some friends over for brunch."

Lol

The updated tails look better. I wonder if it is possible to make the tails "sparser"? In nature the individual feathers separate more and look less clumpy. Maybe increase the space between them on the sprite? I'm not sure if the sprite is big enough for that, but it is the only criticism I can think to make. I love the red and blue one!!

I really really like the idea of making them influenceable but keeping hen as default.

I like the lighter shading of the fried egg sprites. I think sometimes they should multi clutch, we get 2-4 eggs, and the text says "your chickens breed to produce some eggs. You enjoyed having some friends over for brunch."

Lol

The updated tails look better. I wonder if it is possible to make the tails "sparser"? In nature the individual feathers separate more and look less clumpy. Maybe increase the space between them on the sprite? I'm not sure if the sprite is big enough for that, but it is the only criticism I can think to make. I love the red and blue one!!

I'm not sure I like the idea of making them default to female and influenceable to male. I mainly don't like it doesn't follow the way sex is determined with other breeds. As far as I know, all of the breeds in cave that have two genders determine which a baby will be randomly. The reason it isn't determined by Influence is because that's not how sex is determined in real life. So I like having it work off of a ratio better. Of course, you can still Influence the egg if you want to (or if Precog says it'll be a gender you don't want).

---

I tried to separate the feathers a bit, but there isn't much I can do without making the tail (and the sprite) much bigger. While working on the tails I went through two versions I've included both:

"Red:" user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

Russet: user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

Brown: user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

Blue & Red: user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image -> user posted image

I also made a new color pattern which is Blue, Cyan, & Russet: user posted image -> user posted image

Let me know if I should change anything about any of the patterns or the colors or the shading. Also, if you see some colors that you like but they're not in a pattern you like, let me know; I'll gladly make a suggested pattern.

Edited by Vrack

I absolutely adore the blue, cyan, and russet.

Any chance you could do a nice black rooster with some blue accents? I always admired the sheen and iridescence on the black feathers of those roosters. biggrin.gif

Aside from that IDK what else to say. :3 I do like the 1:1 ratio of rosoters to hens because why would we kill our little male chicks like they do IRL for breeding.

Since you won't like breed more of them anyways if they're just gonna go to an fried egg or frying pan badge, then this would help people be able to actually get roosters alongside the hens since the chickens are so hard to get as it IS.

I absolutely adore the blue, cyan, and russet.

Any chance you could do a nice black rooster with some blue accents? I always admired the sheen and iridescence on the black feathers of those roosters. biggrin.gif

Aside from that IDK what else to say. :3 I do like the 1:1 ratio of rosoters to hens because why would we kill our little male chicks like they do IRL for breeding.

Since you won't like breed more of them anyways if they're just gonna go to an fried egg or frying pan badge, then this would help people be able to actually get roosters alongside the hens since the chickens are so hard to get as it IS.

I'm glad you like the blue, cyan, russet one! I worked hard so that it looks nice and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Here's new stuff: (I slightly changed the hue of the russet)

"Red:" user posted image

Brown: user posted image

Blue & Red: user posted image

Blue, Cyan, & Russet: user posted image -> user posted image

Black-Blue: user posted image -> user posted image

I fiddled with the base shading a bit in the hope that it'd make it look more iridescent. I'm not sure how well it worked, you let me know. It looks pretty nice but I'm pretty sure it needs more work.

---

Egg:

I didn't make any changes, just wondering if there are anymore crits...

I feel like it's been simplified enough that it doesn't look super realistic or anything. Should I consider it pretty much done and start working on some sort of frying pan trophy?

I'll point people towards this quote for ideas/discussion:

But how would you earn the badge? Breeding a Rooster and a Hen 20 times?

I'd prefer the badge not be a fried egg. I made the fried egg sprite to match the size of the Chicken/Pygmy sized egg. While that's also pretty similar to the size of the trophies, I didn't design it for that. Instead, I'm willing to make a frying pan sprite of some kind specifically for the purpose of being the badge.

Support!

I like the idea of having roosters too and being able to joke breed them to eat their eggs!

Also Vrack I think their should only be 1 rooster sprite instead of all the different colored ones as it would just be a fun extra thing and not really a big thing. My favorite would be the blue and red one!

Support!

I like the idea of having roosters too and being able to joke breed them to eat their eggs!

Also Vrack I think their should only be 1 rooster sprite instead of all the different colored ones as it would just be a fun extra thing and not really a big thing. My favorite would be the blue and red one!

Thanks for the support!

The different color sprites you're seeing are just ideas. We'll choose which is the best design/pattern eventually.

Edited by Vrack

user posted image for president! smile.gif

Can't wait to grab my hands on one

Ah yes, the temporary sprite from Halloween...

user posted image / user posted image

It's very nice, much nicer than any of the sprites that I've made. But I still don't think it should be used as the male version of the Chicken.

I don't feel like it matches the current Chicken sprite very well. It has a very purposeful fanciness that doesn't reflect the simple design of the Hen. To me, it looks more like the current Chicken sprite with a parodic version of a rooster design painted over. The amount of detail and bright colors makes me think more of a costume than a different animal (as it should, this sprite was made as a costume for Chickens to wear during Halloween).

The sprite's appearance aside, we also have no idea who made it. So it's unlikely that we'd be able to get their permission to use it in this request. Unlike the creator of that sprite, I'm right here available to give permission to use my sprites.

Edited by Vrack

I like this one a lot too

I'm glad you like the blue, cyan, russet one! I worked hard so that it looks nice and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Here's new stuff: (I slightly changed the hue of the russet)

"Red:" user posted image

Brown: user posted image

Blue & Red: user posted image

Blue, Cyan, & Russet: user posted image -> user posted image

Black-Blue: user posted image -> user posted image

I fiddled with the base shading a bit in the hope that it'd make it look more iridescent. I'm not sure how well it worked, you let me know. It looks pretty nice but I'm pretty sure it needs more work.

---

Egg:

I didn't make any changes, just wondering if there are anymore crits...

I feel like it's been simplified enough that it doesn't look super realistic or anything. Should I consider it pretty much done and start working on some sort of frying pan trophy?

I'll point people towards this quote for ideas/discussion:

I love the black and blue rooster biggrin.gif I'm not sure how likely other people will like it as well however, let alone think of it as the rooster they want with the current chicken. smile.gif With that in mind, the russet and the blue/cyan/russet is what I think would strike most people as "a rooster" immediately. smile.gif

I still love the iridescence of the black and blue rooster though! <3 And having a white chicken with a black and blue rooster provides a nice white and black contrast to my eyes but that's just me lol.

I agree that the joke rooster for Halloween doesn't really match the hen... too overdone compared to the hen's simplicity. smile.gif

I think the fried egg is perfect btw! I can't wait to see how you do the frying pan. :3

I don't see any harm in adding a rooster, mean why not?

also like the "it was delicious" thingy

or little idea i had on my own, what if they can breed but only one time, and the chick never grows up. So you'd have a chicken, rooster and a chick on your scroll. I'd love that even if i don't got a chicken of my own and never probably will. Also would help prevent people asking for the two to breed

I still love and fancy the 'joke' rooster, exactly the way he is - the colours, the larger red 'thing'(the currently worked on set also should have this part bigger than the hen, it's the usual way irl), the way the feathers go on his tail (layered, even if it's not the most natural way it loosk well on the tiny sprite), his head and in general, I've always loved it and wanted to grab it and this sprite was always the very reason why I wanted roosers, aside to my ususal family completionist approach:P

I aslo fail to see all the issues mentioned, I like it because it's the level of fancy and detail it is^^; Roosters are much fancier looking than hens irl too. http://previews.123rf.com/images/rollie/ro...Stock-Photo.jpg

Also, the spriter, TJ probably knows who sprited it, if it wasn't TJ himself, he also knows if the permissions were only for the temporary sprite use or for general use, etc. he may also be able to contact them. that part kind of can't be discussed as an argument against this sprite because we know too little about it... I'd like it to be included in the thread though, just in case if it CAN be used.

Also I think I'd rather have the rooster S2 yellow, unless the hen also gets a new S2 matching her adult colours...^^; for consistency's sake - if the hen's s2 is not yet showing the adult's colours, the rooser's s2 shouldn't either, you see what I mean...^^

I still love and fancy the 'joke' rooster, exactly the way he is - the colours, the larger red 'thing'(the currently worked on set also should have this part bigger than the hen, it's the usual way irl), the way the feathers go on his tail (layered, even if it's not the most natural way it loosk well on the tiny sprite), his head and in general, I've always loved it and wanted to grab it and this sprite was always the very reason why I wanted roosers, aside to my ususal family completionist approach:P

I aslo fail to see all the issues mentioned, I like it because it's the level of fancy and detail it is^^; Roosters are much fancier looking than hens irl too. http://previews.123rf.com/images/rollie/ro...Stock-Photo.jpg

Also, the spriter, TJ probably knows who sprited it, if it wasn't TJ himself, he also knows if the permissions were only for the temporary sprite use or for general use, etc. he may also be able to contact them. that part kind of can't be discussed as an argument against this sprite because we know too little about it... I'd like it to be included in the thread though, just in case if it CAN be used.

Also I think I'd rather have the rooster S2 yellow, unless the hen also gets a new S2 matching her adult colours...^^; for consistency's sake - if the hen's s2 is not yet showing the adult's colours, the rooser's s2 shouldn't either, you see what I mean...^^

I'm not going to defend my opinion on why that rooster sprite is too silly; I've already made my point and it seems like I won't be able to change your mind.

Instead, let's talk about the hatchlings. Because if we use the rooster sprite you want it'll still need a hatchling sprite of some kind. Would you prefer it use the same sprite as the gen or should it have a different coloring? I'm thinking the s2 could be colored a bit more brightly to transition to the rooster sprite's extravagance.

Basically, the hens' sprite is already pretty similar to its s2 because they're both pale. But the rooster sprite isn't pale at all so it doesn't make very much sense that a hatchling on the verge of becoming a bright rooster would be a pale yellow.

Therefore, I'd be willing to use the rooster you want if the s2 rooster's colors are a paler version of the adult's colors.

Edit:

I will just point out since I just noticed you critiqued it: My rooster's red "thing" on the top of their head (the comb) is in fact larger than the hen's. I can always make it bigger if you think it's too small.

Edited by Vrack

I love this idea. Both for a Rooster and to breed and only get cockatrices.

Maybe severely limit their breeding times (like say the week of April 1st) and blame it on magic affecting them.

I like this version best as well. It seems like it would really "fit" in with the other sprites.

I like the idea of producing "delicious" eggs as well. Not really a fan of the cockatrice idea, seeing how it would be kind of weird breeding a dragon and a chicken together, especially since things like drakes can't breed with regular dragons. I wouldn't mind Hen x Rooster on April Fool's though.

Or maybe have Roosters become common eggs that only appear on April Fool's?