Dragonguy73

Roosters-Male Chickens

maybe after 100 breedings or something users coudl get a fried egg badge tongue.gif

i know there was a rooster concept floating around, but i did a few myself for teh S2 hatchie and Adult Rooster happy.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I love the badge idea, and the pictures you did too! :3

Here's the joke rooster as well! user posted image

I really want a rooster myself, and to be able to breed more chickens from the hens and rooster and having a 1 in 20 chance to get a rooster sounds awesome to me. biggrin.gif Not sure how a cockatrice would fit in but here's some possibilities in my head - just throwing them out there. ;3

-Neglected chicken egg = cockatrice (might be a good idea? :3 )

-Adverse effect of using Fertility on a Rooster (so the Rooster technically lays) or Incubate on a chicken egg (if it was cooked badly but yet not dead, that could do it.) with a small chance of either happening.

-Breeding two Roosters together (hard to get an egg from them too as well as hard to get roosters period so that would be limitations in its own right)

-A Mint BSA could interact with a Rooster (since part of the legend of the cockatrice was that it was a rooster's egg that was incubated by a snake or frog, and a Mint looks kinda reptilian like to me and not quite like the other dragons)

-Could just be its own separate dragon breed, the cockatrice, and with an appetite for roosters AND chicken eggs which is why they're so few of them. xd.png

Anyways its a lot of fun to speculate and dream of this! biggrin.gif <3

I do agree with no summoning though. :/ Even TJ himself said that such a thing most likely would not happen again. :/

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before, but I support.

Probably would like to keep the same hen sprite, but just add in a rooster and the "breed" option. And I love the idea of the "Fried Egg Badge" rather than producing an actual chicken egg that can become a chicken...

Now, I have looked across the site and saw people with chickens saying I WANT MOAR HENZ! At the moment, that is not possible, because there are no male chickens. All that should happen is that there would be a rare chance that a chick would grow up into a rooster, which would be a male chicken. All the information would be the same, except the gender and sprite. Of course, chickens would only be able to breed with chickens.

Another idea:

I both like the idea of having a rooster and the idea that they'd "breed" an egg that would immediately be used for breakfast (or dinner tongue.gif). I imagine mine being scrambled. xd.png

I agree with this and with TJ's joke sprite (which he often teases us with, and then denies knowing what we're talking about when we ask him xd.png ) and with a breed option as mentioned in the OP:

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It was delicious."

My solution: include a breed option, but have the breeding result always be "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It was delicious."

Oh my god, that's hilarious!! xd.png

Oh my god, that's hilarious!! xd.png

i like that i fully support the idea of being able to get a rooster incave and i like the fried egg badge idea

@the people who like the idea of a fried egg badge:

user posted image / user posted image

It's very rough but I thought I'd at least come up with something to spur some progress in this request.

Edited by Vrack

It's very rough but I thought I'd at least come up with something to spur some progress in this request.

I love it!! Is the op still active? If not someone else should take over this thread

It could be for having a male and female chicken and having them breed maybe?

I'm cool with just the message, tbh. I do like the fried egg sprite, though. The second Friday in October is World Egg Day. June 3rd is National Egg Day. Maybe the sprite could be submitted for a badge for logging on for one of those days?

Or the sprite could show up whenever you breed a rooster and chicken together, like the egg result.

But first we need roosters. xP

I'm cool with just the message, tbh. I do like the fried egg sprite, though. The second Friday in October is World Egg Day. June 3rd is National Egg Day. Maybe the sprite could be submitted for a badge for logging on for one of those days?

Or the sprite could show up whenever you breed a rooster and chicken together, like the egg result.

My thoughts/ideas:

When you breed a chicken and a rooster you get some variation of "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It's delicious." and the fried egg sprite is shown. Then, much like with the Magikarp badge, after breeding them X number of times, the fried egg badge is added to your scroll.

But first we need roosters. xP
Now that I can see there's some actual interest in this request I'll try and make some rooster sprites. What coloration should I go for? Traditional red/brown? Brown? Green?

Question: What would be the rarity of roosters/ratio of hens to roosters?

Normally, there're 10-12 hens to every rooster so that might be a good ratio. (?)

I think you should go with the traditional red brown rooster for sprites

And I like that rarity ratio, one rooster for every 10 hens

When you breed a chicken and a rooster you get some variation of "The two chickens breed to produce an egg. It's delicious." and the fried egg sprite is shown. Then, much like with the Magikarp badge, after breeding them X number of times, the fried egg badge is added to your scroll.

I really don't see the point of using it for breeding and a badge, and I lean towards it not being a badge for breeding. JMO

I think you should go with the traditional red brown rooster for sprites
Cool, I'll have a set of sprites done as soon as I can.

I really don't see the point of using it for breeding and a badge, and I lean towards it not being a badge for breeding. JMO
Yeah, now that I think about it, having a badge for breeding isn't the best idea. It'd take a really long time to get it and I'm not sure how happy people'd be about that. I think the best way to make use of the fried egg sprite I made would be for when they breed. I think having it as a badge for logging in on some holiday doesn't make sense since this is request about roosters, not eggs. The egg should only be used if it relates to the fact that a rooster is being introduced.

I've made a fairly rough rooster set. And since I'm extra, I decided to make a bunch of colors.

Chicken/Hen: user posted image

Brown: user posted image

"Red:" user posted image

Red-Brown: user posted image

Blue & Brown: user posted image

Blue & Red: user posted image(it's a different red than the red rooster, that'd be too bright)

Blue & Red-Brown: user posted image(it's the same red-brown as the red-brown rooster)

The way I made the base body was pretty simple. I flipped the existing hen/chicken sprite, added a comb and a wattle, extended the tail slightly, and redid most of the shading so the light source would be in the same place as on the female (up-right).

Let me know what you think: which color(s) is the best, if anything anatomy wise could be poked at, do you like that I flipped it, etc.

EDIT: Reviewing my work now, I see I should probably lighten the highlights a bit. Other than that, what feedback can you give?

Edited by Vrack

I like that you flipped it, and the colors look good. I think I like the red-brown and the blue & brown varieties the most.

Everything on google suggests to me that the tail should be a bit fancier than that, maybe even quite a bit fancier.  Something like this or even this.

What did you search to find those images? I tried to find references for the tail, but all I found were pictures of fishing lures (I think one lure design is called a rooster tail).

Thank you for the pictures, I'll use them to make a more accurate tail.

EDIT: Should I make a color set similar to the first image you linked? It actually has some red in it and could end up looking nice.

Edited by Vrack

I just plugged "rooster" into google images. x3

I guess I shouldn't have been as specific as I was. sleep.gif

It's getting late for me so I won't have the new sprites until tomorrow. Hopefully there'll be even more feedback by then!

UPDATE:

Here's my first attempt at a fancier tail:

Russet: user posted image

"Red:" user posted image

Blue & Red: user posted image

I also slightly redid the brown's color contrast, it looks better now:user posted image

(The other colors I'm not sure about, please let me know if I should fix the contrast of the other colors.)

I wasn't sure about how to shade the tail so it's still pretty rough. Other than that, I'm currently working on a new pattern of colors that incorporates a little bit of green and some more redness.

Edited by Vrack

I think it would be bestif there were rare roosters, breeding with hens BUT not producing chickens but some joke like sb posted in the beginning - e.g. it was delicious tongue.gif

I think it would be bestif there were rare roosters, breeding with hens BUT not producing chickens but some joke like sb posted in the beginning - e.g. it was delicious tongue.gif

Yup, that's pretty much what's been decided so far. The fried egg sprite that I made would be shown when they breed with a message along the lines of "The two chickens breed to produce an egg, it's delicious."

I also mentioned that traditionally there are 10 hens to every rooster, so that's probably a reasonable ratio for the roosters. (Especially since hens are already really hard to get.)

Is there any feedback that you can give on the rooster sprites that I've made?

Maybe if you're eating their eggs you could get something like a "master chef" trophy if you've bred them a lot of times? Similar to shallow water dragons using splash for the magikarp trophy. wink.gif

So far loving this! It's also just a suggestion so I don't really care wether or not you do something with it. (probably not)

I slight bump for this with updated fried egg sprites:

user posted image /user posted image -> user posted image /user posted image

I lightened it and messed with the shading a little bit.

I'd love feedback on any of the sprites, the roosters or the eggs. Anything you can tell me helps. I know that the roosters need work, I'd appreciate specific critiques if people can give them.